“Sadly we did not feel welcome after the first introduction”

Kemal's Guest House
Ranked #26 of 76 Goreme B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Kemal’s guesthouse is a lovely old Ottoman house and the big dining/sitting room is a lovely place to be. Unfortunately we never felt entirely welcome in there. We couldn’t sit on the sofa and read books or use our computer, because Barbara and/or Kemal were often sat there eating or watching TV and it didn’t feel right to intrude. I was shocked and upset to be asked to go up to my room to use Skype because Kemal was ‘sleeping’ – at 5pm! We had been told the internet worked in our room but it didn’t and we thought it odd that they didn’t know this. Our room was interesting with a good view and lots of light. It could have been cleaner and the standard of décor was a bit scruffy – paint drips down the woodwork. The breakfast was brilliant. I was offered tea by Julia, who helps in the guesthouse, and then was surprised to see two cups charged on the bill – a small amount yes but a petty addition. Frankly I wished we had looked around a bit more and stayed somewhere else. However, our neighbour, a young girl from Australia, had quite a different experience maybe Barbara and Kemal prefer younger guests. Sadly our stay was marred by a feeling more like being a child in a boarding school rather than a paying guest in a pension. This is our first complaint on this journey of one year which is now nearly six months old and we are not complaining people.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SymondsPJ
kemal barbara d, Owner at Kemal's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear former guests, thanks for your feedback. It was not easy for you that we live in our house as well...hearing of your complaints only áfter your 4 days' stay here , there was unfortunately no way for us to mend things anymore. Regards, Barbara and Kemal

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I could not imagine a more perfect place to stay. Kemal and Barbera are so hospitable and helpful, and made my stay feel so homely and comfortable. On top of that, room was squeaky clean and very comfy. Great location also, very close to everything, including bus station which is handy for late arrivals into town.

Room Tip: Didn't stay in the suite but I had a glimpse and it looks spectacular!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had a great time at Kemal's! Room was clean, quiet and with hot water; the staff is great and is always trying to make you feel as home (as sharing night Cappadocia wines next to the fire in the main cave of the building!!!) and breakfast is really complete!!!
We do recommend to stay there...and is also next to the bus station and strategically in the middle way to all valleys!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mariana P
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in Kemals Guest House in October 2012. We choose a cave room and had the best sleep of our whole trip. Kemal is an outstanding cook and we had a very delicious dinner in their dining area followed by wine in their fireplace cave room, one of those memorable experiences. They also have a wonderful garden with tables where we ate our breakfast. For breakfast we were served a beautiful plate with bread and pastry, eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese and slices of TEN different fruits!! I thought that was amazing. Kemal and Barbara are great hosts, its almost like going to stay with your family, we immediately felt at home there. We hired Barbara to take us for a one day tour around the area and this worked out really well. She knew all of the good spots, we could stop as often and as long as we wanted. And she brought lunch!! They were also very helpful in arranging an airport shuttle from Kayseri Airport. Their prices are very reasonable and the location is right in the town of Goreme with easy walking to everything. I wish we could have stayed a week!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank karna
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The guesthouse is very close to the bus station and other scenic spots. Kemal and Barbara was very friendly, we had chatted a lot and I felt very cozy there. I had a first floor house decorated as a cave room with nice Kilim. Breakfast made by Barbara was delicious, and his nephew served it coming with a question"you have egg?" which was hilarious. (Actually he was asking what would you like, egg or yogurt for your breakfast.)The garden was pretty and quiet, you may enjoy the sunshine there, or you can hop up to the terrace in the morning to watch the hot air balloons flying through.

Room Tip: upper room you may enjoy the sunshine
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Agnes Y
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I slept like a baby and was waken up by soft light piercing through my window curtain. "Oh it's dawn!" I cried to myself. I jumped out of my cozy bed, put on my jacket, and snatched my Canon EOS 7D with me. Off to the highest roof top of Kemal's Guest House I climbed.

I call this paradise. You can make both, sunrise and sunset shots, from here. The bonus: moonlit above Cappadocia. Too bad TA is allergic to photos with watermarks whereas TA is free to use the photos. Thus, I just share my photo of breakfast in Barbara's garden.

Still speaking of photography, there's a lot to capture just in this guest house. Flower-S! What else? Cute chubby cats! Normally I hate cats, to be honest. But the 2 cats here merely turned my hatred into anxiety of getting them into frame.

Unfortunately, when I stayed here, Kemal wasn't in town. Judging by how my breakfast was served, I'm sure dinner could have been another subject to put into frame. Next time.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom. Mine was spotless. During winter, air conditioning or at least an electric blank...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at Kemals guesthouse with our two children, 5 and 8 years old, during a very hot week in July. Our groundfloor room was basic but clean, spacious and nicely decorated with kelims on the walls and the floor. There was no AC but to help us cope with the high temperatures, Kemal gave us a fan. Since the groundfloor rooms stay relatively cool anyway, this was enough.
The lucious and well tended garden was a nice place to relax: great for breakfast and drinks. Barbara and Kemal pay a lot of attention to their guests, ranging from help with travelplans to arranging our balloontrip and hikingtips customized to our childrens endurance level. On our last night we stayed in for dinner and enjoyed a BBQ feast with an abbundance of mezze. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Stay downstairs in summer.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family