We stayed here for four nights September 2011 - the staff (except for the agreeable manager) were down right surley - we felt like we were a major irritant just by being there - the composting heap was right outside our bathroom, the grumpy cook thought nothing of coming onto our little patio in the middle of our dinner and dumping a big bucket of kitchen waste over the edge - smelly and extremely unpleasant - we could see the pile from our bathroom window - the room reeked of air freshener and we had to sleep the first night with the door wide open so we could breathe - the patio where we ate breakfast was pleasant except for being hounded by wasps (and I mean hounded) - the staff sat and stared at us while we ate and the German owner did not even acknowledge our presence - their very large dog is tied up right in the dining area and spent most of the day either on our patio or right outside our door - when we complained about being awoken in the middle of the night by their barking dog - the attitude was "it's a dog" accompanied by a shrug - the friends we were travelling with did not have hot water for 3 days and when they mentioned it they were told that was impossible - that they must have been doing something wrong (despite letting the water run for 15 minutes waiting for hot water) overall I would say that we felt at best like unwelcome guests - like we were imposing - and we paid 55 Euro a night for the experience - also they burn something that is very smelly (coal?) which made it very difficult to sleep - the breakfast was good (except for the wasps) and the bed was comfortable (except for the smell in the room) - we are now in Uchisar at a beautiful boutique hotel in a view room with a balcony and clean white towels and a glorious shower for only 5 Euro more per night - and the family that runs it are so pleasant! The hotel is in Uchisar and is called Has Konak on Goremme Caddesi [--] So, give the Fairy Chimney a wide pass - the Lonely Planet guide was way off on this hotel - it is like they know they are in the book and don't have to try any more - the one good thing about the hotel is the manager(?) who booked our tours and drove us into town when we left.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Carefully restored cave-cone complex from Byzantine times with best views to the unique Cappadocian landscape. Authentic and almost private atmosphere, bordering on the bohemian. International management. World wide first and only cave-haman, WLan and all kind of service & advice. Free tea and sympathy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Fairy Chimney Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairy Chimney Hotel Goreme
- Fairy Chimney Inn Goreme, Cappadocia, Turkey