“Great site and excellent hospitality!”
Review of Fairy Chimney Inn

Fairy Chimney Inn
Ranked #62 of 78 Goreme B&B and Inns
Santa Ana, California
“Great site and excellent hospitality!”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I brought a group of 10 persons here, May 2011, for 3 nights. It was the most breathtaking and wonderous hotel any of us had every visited. The owner-manager and her team made us all feel welcome, providing for our every need. The rooms are beautifully cared for and decorated (very photogenic!), laundry services at the inn are reasonably priced, optional dinners ("half board") are excellent, the view of the Goreme valley is beautiful, access to shops, ballooning, etc. is easy, and the price was the best I could find for an authentic fairy chimney adventure.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
apache junction
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Fairy Chimney Inn for several days in May. This place is amazing! The accomodation was comfortable and well planned. We stayed in the deli yusef room which was equipped with an upstairs sitting areathat has a stove for comfort, very nice on a couple of the cold nights. The views are incredible. The bed was comfortable and the linens clean. We had dinners prepared by the staff here which are delicious and plentiful! The staff was also helpful in organising activities that we inquired about doing.
This area is awesome! We did alot of exploring. Dont miss the underground city tour or horseback riding through the numerous outcroppings of cave dwellings.
This was a great experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We booked to stay at the Fairy Chimney for 2 nights. It is a very lovely hotel and pretty cool to sleep in a cave. They picked us up from the bus station after the info centre gave them a call to come and get us. When we arrived, they just sort of ignored us until they were finished eating lunch so we just sat there with our bags and watched them eat. The problem we had in particular with this place is that they cancelled our booking! My sister had even spoke with the owner on the phone a few days before to confirm our room and said what time we would arrive and from where (early afternoon from Konya). But for some reason, they thought we would come on an overnight bus and arrive early in the morning. So when we didn't come, they simply cancelled our room. Fortunately, there was another room available, but the room we were supposed to stay in was already given away.

However, the hotel itself is nice. The building is cool, all a bit of a maze and you have great views of Goreme and the fairy chimneys in the area. The room was nice and very clean, although I would guess the bed we had was old since we could feel the bedsprings which made for a bit of an uncomfortable sleep (I actually woke up a few times during the nights due to this and I wake up in the middle of the night during my sleep about twice a year. Seriously. I have mentioned in other reviews that I can pretty much sleep through most things.) We did have one dinner there which was really delicious (though you can find better deals in town, but it was pretty good value and quality) and breakfast was incredible.

Also, re booking activities with them, someone else wrote about misinformation about their balloon trip. Keeping in mind that remembering details wasn't their forte, we decided to book the dervish ceremony with them. After the experience of our cancelled room, I doubly confirmed it and then both my sister and I confirmed again with another staff the next day separately. We decided to go with other companies for other activities we did in Goreme, not just to not be stressed about being forgotten, but to spread the wealth a bit around town, since, obviously, they promote the activities belonging to their company.

Someone else posted that maybe they are suffering from Lonely Planet syndrome and now that they have the mention, they don't need to try so much. I don't have that impression but rather, I just felt that the owner is sort of forgetful and not deliberately trying to be negligent to guests. Despite the few negative incidents, I still enjoyed staying here, but I probably would have pushed up my rating to 4 dots on 5 had our booking not been cancelled on us!

And re a note from Lonely Planet, they mention that they give occasional paying cooking lessons at Fairy Chimney. This is not the case. You are welcome to watch them cook for free, but the ladies who cook can't speak English so it's not a lesson at all.

Room Tip: Book early, confirm it, reconfirm x 5.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Our stay at the Fairy Chimney Inn with our three children was absolutely perfect. Gulcan and Andus were the perfect hosts, with nothing too much of a problem. Good advice on places to go, and the trips we arranged through them were very professional. The Inn itself is superb and their renovation work has been done to very high standards. The wonders from the kitchen have to be tasted to be believed, and would shame many a restaurant.

Room Tip: Kale Suite - a former winery, worth every penny
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 15, 2011

The rooms at Fairy Chimney Inn are wonderful and very comfortable. And the staff was very nice and helpful. However, it is too bad that the owners seem to take little interest in ensuring that the guests are taken care of. While the staff tried to help us with arrangements (e.g. a balloon ride, visiting a sena dance, etc.) they don't speak great English. Thus, the frequent absence of the couple who owns the hotel was problematic. Another couple who were staying there missed their balloon ride because the owners told them the wrong time and it was only through them that we didn't miss ours the next day.

The wireless signal was too weak to access in our otherwise lovely room and while there was a nice communal place to sit nobody told us it existed until our last day there.

There are SO MANY attractive places to stay in Cappadocia with great rooms and location that there really is no reason to stay somewhere where the owners seem to take little interest in ensuring that the guests are adequately cared for and informed about local opportunities.

5 Thank sparkybuddy
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Stay here if you want an original, authentic (almost) experience of cave dwelling in Cappadocia. The rooms are carved into the rock and fronted with a door and window. They're outfitted in a simple but charming way. Very well heated and bedded. There's no TV -- but you didn't come for that, did you?

The owners are some of the kindest & most helpful people you may meet. Don't miss the home-cooked dinners here.

Be aware it's a 5-10 minute uphill walk from the town centre, and there are some steep stairs to navigate on the way to your room.

Bronx, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2011

It was my first experience in the magical landscape of Kappaddokya & my first stay in a cave hotel. I will always relaxing on the terrasse which overlooked Goreme. Not only I loved the staggering carving work of the rooms, its design and its scenic views on the Goreme's valley, but I also found delicious the turkish breakfast which included freshly baked gözleme and cinnamon pastries enjoyed on the terrasse at sunrise. I want to thank warmly Gülcan & the anthropologist Andus for their hospitality and praise the balance they achieve to maintain between tourism & protection of the environment. Also, I found their advise of tours and places to visit around very helpful. .
I definitly recommend it!
Don

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the bathroom with hamam