“Home away from home : Superb B&B/ Restaurant”
Review of Ocak Restaurant - CLOSED

Ocak Restaurant
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We offer you most authentic Turkish dinning experience right in the heart of Göreme. We are open everyday 11.50am-11.50 pm. You can see the stunning view of Göreme's famous sunrise and sunset right from our garden patio. All our food are carefully prepared with the freshiest local ingredients. Our guests are important for us, they are like brothers and sisters.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This restaurant/ B&B is very unique. The owner and his family extends a rare warmth and kindness. I was blessed with Turkish hospitality and amazing food cooked in a traditional oven. I stayed there for almost one week and the time spent was just beyond and above all my expectations, simply unforgettable. Highly recommended!

本当に暖かく、親切なオーナーが、トルコの伝統料理をふるまってくれます。景色の良いテラスで、夕日が沈むのを眺めながらのディナー、かなりお勧めです。アットホームなB&B/レストラン、是非!

1  Thank Rootlessworld
There are newer reviews for Ocak Restaurant

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were searching for an un-touristy, authentic Turkish dining experience, and found Ocak on Trip Advisor. It seemed a bit off the beaten path...it's not on the main strip where most of the restaurants are, and is instead, tucked away behind a whole slew of cave restaurants. When we arrived, we were the only people there. They had a small paper menu as the items change daily based on what they cook.
When we placed our order, the food was served from large pottery dishes that were cooking in the tandir. You could watch the food being prepared right in front of you. We ordered a bulgur soup, eggplant kebab (which they prepare for vegetarians so ask - it's not on the menu!), beans and salad. This was followed by a traditional Cappadoccian dessert called Aside which was quite yummy. The food was humble and healthy, prepared without salt or heavy spices. For those who are accustomed to richer or spicier foods, this might seem bland. However, it was all well cooked and highlighted the flavor of the fresh veggies and ingredients, something which many restaurants fail to do.
Mushku served us some fresh cherry compote at the end as a gift and showed us all of the dried fruits that she had picked and laid out in the sun behind the restaurant. Amazing! They then invited us to stay for tea and conversation. Mushko brought me one of our head scarves and a necklace she had made, and we took pictures together. As we were leaving, she gave me a pair of handmade earrings as a gift. We also exchanged email addresses and sent them pictures of our time together.
This was one of the highlights of our trip to Cappadocia. Good food, nice people, and traditional Turkish hospitality.
Of course if they are overrun with customers, I worry that some of the charm would be lost, but this is was a really special meal and I think everyone should make an effort to visit Ocak while in Goreme!
Thank you for your hospitality! - Bonnie and Scott

1  Thank Bonnie412
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We decided to go to this restaurant after seeing the reviews in Tripadvisor exalting a unique un-touristy experience. It did not disappoint! We went a bit early and were the only ones there so it was a bit apprehensive at first. However, the warmth and friendliness of the family immediately made us feel at home! Their cooking is traditional Cappadocian cuisine..so it takes time. In the meantime, we ate bread dipped in various oils and spices to our heart's content while enjoying the beautiful outside setting and view. The restaurant is a bit off the beaten path but a quick walk to the main drag in town. We had the lamb and chicken stew and they were both delicious. We stayed for what seemed hours until it got a bit cooler at night. The restaurant owner Mishon (sp), placed a pashmina over my shoulders to keep me warm. When I asked if we could have a picture together, she went inside and brought me a head scarf she had made. She covered my hair in the scarf and gladly posed for our picture together. This was one of my most cherished meals and experiences in Turkey.

1  Thank Ifa370
Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you ever visit Goreme, it will be a mistake to miss this exceptionally welcoming hotel, owned by a lovely family. All the food is cooked as requested & they provide excellent advice on how to spend your time while you are there. I made some great friends with them and kept on going there every night

1  Thank IbDi
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a very special and original place, where the meals are prepared with great care in the traditional way.

The owners were talking from the start of opening a "SLOW FOOD" restaurant, as they insist that most of their meals take hours to cook, in opposition to the meals in other places which are sometimes quickly heated with modern techniques. During the winter, the customers are invited to visit first the kitchen in order to see the various preparations.

Here, most of the meals are cooked during the whole afternoon in the "TANDIR" ("tandoor" is a more international word for this large earth oven buried in the ground floor), where traditional soups and various stews are cooked at controlled temperature, or in the "FIRIN" which is an oven similar to the ones used to cook "pide" (or pizzas", or breads).

The "tandir" is also a great place to gather around in the summer, with sometimes flames coming out of it : it's the "hearth" of the house. It sometimes happens that itinerant musicians stop there to sing with all their hearts ; other times, people sit and muse there about the beauties of Cappadocia.

There is still an element missing and Ethem the owner told me that in a few month it will finally arrive : it's a huge stone, difficult to transport from the mountains, which will be the "OCAK", another fireplace and the real hearth of the restaurant, a sort of furnace that I hope, we'll discover soon;

... but even without this third way of cooking, I can recommand this place for the care taken to cook the meals, the surprising traditional deserts and the various herbs and spices that Ethem's wife has the secrets like no one else

Everything is always delicious and never the same (having been there several times) !

(NB : it's better to ask for the price of each item in advance).

1  Thank Ketrin_Noborders