“Maybe I'll appreciate it in 5 years”

Dervis Evi Whirling Dervishes
London, Ontario, Canada
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Maybe I'll appreciate it in 5 years”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

You are sitting in on a religious ceremony that holds great significance to the participants. I personally found it quite boring and over priced. Watch it on u-tube and save the 35€.

1 Thank JohnH910

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Whirling and Chanting to reach out to the Unkown Universe”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

For many years I have had a small statue of a whirling devish sitting close to my writing desk. As an engineer who once had a pair of ballet tights in his brief case I was intrigued with the fluid shape of the dance. A visit to Cappadocia last September brought me to the masoleum of the Mevlana Celaleddin-Ruma who was the founder of Sufism, the wonderfully form of contemplation that gives a peaceful cloak to the religion of Islam. It was not until many kilometers of travel did I find in the vicinity of Urgup and underground cave where I was able to see the Sema,or whirling Devish ceremony. Sema has seven parts and each part symbolizes a stage of the mystic journey to perfection called ascension(Mirac in Turkish).
Th evening begins with pipe, drums and a zither-like instrument. The dancers appear and then they led by a sort of conductor they start to dance, twsiting and flowing with arms slowly rising. They become engaged in an out-of-body experience. As one who has danced and acted and meditated I found myself entranced. My film maker and journalist son Nick has found that the art of meditation in the Sufi tradition has enaabled him to cope with the machinations of our fast changing world. I have always sought to find a way towards peace and to help to counter our headlong rush into crashing our world into total havoc in seeking a balance of man with nature in the world of climatic impacts. The Sema ceremony ends with aprayer for peace of the souls of all Prophets and all believers. To be able to see this ceremony was a very special highlight of an amazing holiday.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Kentishtownboy
Washington, DC
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Beautiful ceremony”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I highly recommend seeing this ceremony even if you have seen whirling dervishes before. The underground cave atmosphere is nice and the ceremony is truly a religious ceremony and demonstrates both the whirling aspect as well as the music, greetings and sayings that go with the spiritual ritual of the dervishes. It is special to be able to have this shared with all interested in spirituality, Rumi, religion, self expression, etc.

New York City, New York
487 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,140 helpful votes
“Real One is in Konya”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This 'performance' is for the armchair tourists who want to have a quick sample of the local 'culture' without getting into the depths. It barely serves its purpose. A whirling dervish ceremony is one of the most intriguing and spiritual experiences, but you will not get it here. It is well organized (pickup, drop, proper seating, sherbet etc.), but lasts for less than an hour, and is over before you get a chance to get into the mood. Also, be careful what you are charged for this. We paid 15 euros per person including transport, the person next to me was charged 30 euros! Head to Konya to experience the real one.

1 Thank ZenHealer7
Hoian, Vietnam
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An experience”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Watching the Dervishes is somewhat akin to a religious experience. I had no idea it would be so meditative, so moving. Sure, it's done for the tourists, but it appears to be the best (only?) way to see them.

Visited April 2014