“Dervis Dervishes”

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Dervis Dervishes”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Interesting Cultural event, especially with the guides explanations, about Turkish history.
No foto/films to be taken in the event self; well at the end for 5 minutes.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Whirling Dervishes”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My mom told us not to miss this, & I guess I could say I was glad we went, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It is a religious experience for the dervishes. It is about 45 minutes long and involves 5 men whirling maybe 100 revolutions with eerie music to accompany them. They are trying to communicate with God during the ceremony. It is quiet & everyone was respectful, but for the cost & the time it took to see the show & return home, I, & I know my husband would have preferred an evening off. We had such an ambitious tour, this is one attraction you might want to skip. We had gotten up at 4:30 A.M. for our hot air balloon ride & by the time we were at the performance, we were pretty tired.

Varna, Bulgaria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

When you are in that region of Turkey, it is absolutely obligated to visit a dervishes show. The music is so nice and relaxing and the dance... I have never seen such a dance.

Sydney, Australia
163 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Very moving!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a religious ceremony and not an entertainment show for tourists,we found it a very spiritual experience. The ceremony is performed downstairs in a cave. The audience is seated around a round stage. We were told photography is prohibited during the ceremony. The musicians enter the stage, followed by five dervishes. The lights dim during the ceremony and at the end of the ceremony, the musicians and dervishes exit the stage.
We really enjoyed it and found it very moving to see the look of serenity n the faces of the performers.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank 2gnomesinparis
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“take it off your bucket list”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

do not go. zzzzzzz, boring. Certainly not for kids and as an adult I didn't like and wouldn't recommend it. save your $ for a Cirque de Soliel show. This is just really dudes, spinning around in circles. Boring repetitive music and spinning. A dentist by day and a twirler by night. No pyrotechnics, no acrobatics, no interesting music. It is an hour of your life that you won't get back but wish you could. No-one liked it in our group. Ntg cultural or mystic or sacred about it. I felt taken.

Visited March 2013