“Horse Whisperer and his horses”

The Dalton Brothers Ranch
Ranked #38 of 90 Outdoor Activities in Goreme
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Ekrem is know as the horse whisperer in Goreme. He took the time to sit and chat to us about his horses. He talked about their soul and how he catches wild horse in the mountains in the past. The tour was great but a challenge. If you're a beginner let staff know so they give you a more relaxed horse. If you're an avid rider highly recommend! The scenery is great and they will pair you up with an advanced horse.

1  Thank DayJaVu
"take photos"
"fairy chimneys"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Brochure advertises a 90 kg weight limit on a "pathfinder ride", that said the brochure has multiple ride types leading you to believe that might be a weight limit for an all day or particularly extreme trek. To be fair I am probably around 91-92 kg. My husband weighs more than me (probably around 93 kg) but he is a tall man and I am a short woman who looks round. They took one look at me and declared that I would not be permitted on the horse. They said "how much do you weigh?" So I told them in pounds, later check shows the number I told them was actually right at 90 kilos, they said "we don't know pounds but you are too big". I said, what about my husband and pointed to him. They replied he "was ok", even after i said "he weighs more than me!" Looking at the other riders there were clearly several tall men with round stomachs that weighed more than I did, but perception is everything. They were surprised when our whole party decided to leave rather than me just leaving alone in shame. 90 kilos = 198 lbs, if they were enforcing this limit universally they'd lose many customers but they weren't exactly having people climb on scales, but certainly many tourists, particularly men, exceed this weight.

So if you look fat, don't bother showing up here. Honestly it would serve them right if people just didn't show up in general. They of course did not speak good enough English to even discuss the situation with them, all they said is "our horses too small for you, very dangerous" and sent us on our way. If it really is dangerous for 90 kilo riders, tall or muscular men also beware!

7  Thank Becca1979
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was the only dissappointment we experienced on our trip to Turkey. I chose Dalton Bros as it was highly recommended online as well as a feature in one of the mjaor guidebooks. Worst place ever. My horse was uncooperative with me but at least it would just follow the lead of the guides horse. My husband on the other hand received a horse that wouldnt even GO! One of the other riders was highly experienced and asked the guide if she could rope the horses together. Not only was this embarrasing but I didnt get to ride with my husband because my horse wanted to always be right behind the guide and his wanted to be at the end. I asked the guide to rectify this, he said yes but did nothing. Also, he was a nice guy but his English was very poor - lucky for me he knew a third language that I also spoke but there was little or no guiding on this tour aside from what location we were in. At the end of the tour when we complained the manager just said, well you dont know how to ride. We were asked up front and had told them we were beginners and on top of it all the experienced rider said that the horse my husband got was not well trained and didnt have shoes on like he should.

Oh, the WORST PART, the horse my husband was roped to that was being ridden by the experienced rider who has her own horses FELL, yes thats right he FELL! luckily he fell on his knees otherwise both she and my husband would likely have been seriously injured.

It sucked. End of story.

The idea of seeing the valleys and formations on a horse is excellent, this vendor however does not deserve his half page inset he has received in one of the most popular guidebooks.

I wanted to not pay the full amount, but my hotel (which was excellent btw, Cave Divan House, talk to Hanife) was unable to get them on the line so she could talk to them and ask them to reduce my price. I should have just short paid them.

5  Thank SpechlesStrytelr
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I went there two times. The horses are very nice, well trained, and healthy. It is the best way to enjoy the amazing landscape of cappadocia. The owner is welcoming and very nice!

1  Thank Anne-Laure L