“Decent Korean food”

Cuisines: Korean, Turkish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Coming from California, I know what good Korean food is supposed to taste like. I'd say the food here is about average from an LA standard. But from a Turkey standard and also in a small town like Goreme, it's pretty outstanding. You wont find Korean food like this anywhere except maybe in Istanbul or Ankara. It's also a bit on the pricy side. One beef bulgogi dish with rice will set you back about 30 TL.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The food was perfectly fine, with a few minor complaints. We ordered the kimchi pork stew (돼지 김치 찌개), and instead of pork it came with tuna. A fairly common component of kimchi stew, but still, not what was on the menu, and not what we ordered.

The main gripe here is the price. When we we saw the menu, my girlfriend and I were both kind of shocked, but being that we had been travelling for 8 months and not had Korean food in the last five, we decided to split one dish between us. For that dish, an extra order of rice, a drink for each of us, and a small tip, we paid about US $12 EACH. For a dish that in Korea would probably have cost about $4~5 TOTAL. In fact, I would go so far as to say that there is nowhere in Korea where you will pay more than $7 for a bowl of kimchi stew. I realize that this is the middle of Turkey, and you can't expect to pay the same price, but come on. I know they're mostly catering to tour groups of wealthy Koreans, of which there were plenty around, but still, this was kind of appalling. The ramen on the menu was $8. For packaged noodles that cost less than a dollar in any convenience store.

Other than price, as I said, it was fine. Service was good and personable, food was authentic if not mind-blowing. Also the 반찬 (side dishes) were pretty underwhelming. Spicy pickles, corn salad, and boiled peanuts? Pretty lackluster for any Korean restaurant, much less one charging these kinds of prices.

1  Thank adhaglin
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This restaurant was so good that I ate there both nights I was in Goreme! There is a wide choice of dishes, with Korean and other Asian cuisine as well as many Turkish options. I chose Korean dishes both nights, and the ramen and bimbimbap were both delicious. The chef is super friendly and came out to chat to the customers on both nights, and all the wait staff were lovely and really helpful and friendly. They even gave me free dessert one night! The restaurant is located just across from the bus station so it's very central. I would strongly recommend the Evil Eye to anyone looking for good food and a nice atmosphere in Goreme.

1  Thank Emellejay
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant locates just a few step from Goreme bus station.
They serve really good food.
You can sit back and enjoy delicious dishes with nice view of Goreme from their terrace.
I really want to thank you for the all staffs at the restaurant for their hospitality and kindness.

2  Thank tomoko162
Reviewed April 25, 2013

After multiple turkish meals of canned mushrooms and potatoes in a casserole, we were pleased to have a meal made with a variety of fresh vegetables - fried rice was delicious!
(We are vegetarian).