“Lovely and relaxed small hotel in centre of amazing Goreme village”
Review of Walnut House

Walnut House
Ranked #17 of 79 Goreme B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Had booked a superior double room and it was lovely - part of the refurbished annexe and the whole room was built in an arch. Lovely and very spacious. Shower room was not as well finished but was fine. Great bed although room seemed to get hot at night. Extended stay and had to move to different triple room for last night - shower room was not good there. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful - it feels very homely. There is a large, comfortable shared space that functions as reception/sitting room/breakfast room with a big TV (no TV's in the rooms) plus free internet access. Breakfasts were good and tables inside and on the patio. Great location near the centre of the village. I had to back out of staying in a 'cave' hotel due to asthma and would recommend Walnut House to anyone visiting Goreme who has respiratory problems (some original cave rooms in other guesthouses have damp problems -- plus they burn solid fuel in Goreme when its cold - so smoke and damp can make it a wheezy place). Walnut House is a lovely place if you want somewhere homely and relaxed.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank LondonLorraine

Reviewed May 25, 2010

If you do not seek for good scenery or cave atmosphere , this hotel is the one I would definitely recommend.
I have stayed in one of the rooms placed in the newer building, it was really clean and quiet. Rooms are pretty large and decorated according to the Turkish architectural style.
Staff was also really helpful, really flexible (try hard to understand your necessities and come up with different suggestions) and deserves appreciation. I did not feel like a customer but a guest. We have stayed there by coincidence but it was a good one.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Horizontal_Sleeper
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I spent three nights in this hotel. I booked from Ankara by phone - asingle room, clean, comfortable, quiet, extra blankets if needed. The lady who runs the place is caring, made me tea occasionally, organised a very good trip for me & when she saw I didn't like the traditional breakfast (which was ok), was concerned & offered me an alternative. She worked very hard, checked my return ticket & advised me on a coach. She was very homely. Her husband (maybe) was also helpful but unfortunately smoked in the charming lounge. I didn't feel like staying in there because of the cig smoke. Pity, because she worked her back-side off making the guests comfortable. His smoking was actually mentioned in Lonely Planets. Anyway, my room was nice enough. I would certainly stay there again. Very central. Good value for money too.
Someone mentioned the rooms weren't cleaned. No. No one came into my room while I stayed there & that's the way I like it.; I can manage to make my bed, clean the washbasin etc.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2010

I'm shocked to see people writing bad things about the management at the Walnut House. Keep in mind, things are a little bit different in in Central Turkey. Most people that live here can remember when electricity first came to Goreme in the 1970s. Things move a little more slowly.
The Walnut House came recommended by a friend, and I've been back several times since. Ali is one of the kindest, funniest, most thoughtful hotel owners I have ever met. He even sends Happy New Years postcards to my parents house! Every morning, my wife and I would come to the lobby area, and Ali would serve us a delicious breakfast. Then he would draw us a map of where we should hike, or call a local guide to take us around the further reaches of Cappadocia for the day. When we would finally make it back, he would have tea with us, or give us a beer.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2009

The Walnut House is in a great location, close to the bus terminal in Goreme.
We were told by the managers/ ?owners that we stayed in the better part of the hotel. The rooms were lovely with floor heating, comfortable beds and warm duvets. The bathroom had an actual shower with screen. The only slightly disconcerting thing was wiring hanging out of the wall.
Breakfast was standard basic Turkish style, barring a few moldy olives and slightly dated tomatos there were no stand outs.
In all the hotel has all the makings of a lovely place to stay and while we do not mind non attentive staff this establishment takes customer service to a whole new level.
It felt as if we were an impossition to the staff and dealing with problems raised by us, as well as other guests, seemed to be greeted with little concern or defensive agression and using the lounge area (free wifi) outside of meals times felt awkward.
After booking through Travellerspoint, we were offered a different (more expensive) room, which we declined and mentioned our booking. After this we were given another room in the same area and given a price. This turned out not to be the one we had booked. To cut an uncomfortable story short they disregard the booking through travellerspoint and do not acknowledge the 10% deposit paid.
In all this was the worst customer service we have come across in all our travels.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Goreme was the last leg of our turkey visit and nothing could pleased us than the sight of a jacuzzi(we were travelling budget and were not expecting luxury :)

Lobby of the place, which also function as the dining area, ought be spent time in. The place has a good collection of books and an ambience to die for.

Room was huge with an allocated sitting area and study. And was beautiful. We could done with more bright lights as both of us love reading before sleep.

Fevzi, owner is caring without interfering.

The only thing is that the new building(hotel has two wings with a beautiful garden in between) does not have great wifi connection. Anyone who wants to be online should let the owners know beforehand to get a better room .

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Clean, comfortable & friendly, though the staff did seem a little distracted at times,

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple