“Interesting to visit”

Cappadocia Highlights Full Day Tour From Goreme
Ranked #3 of 51 things to do in Goreme
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the top attractions in the region, this outdoor museum contains the remains of many churches carved into the famous Cappadocia stone. Of note are the many excellent frescoes that can be seen when exploring the various structures.
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is an interesting museum that gives you some background on the history of the area. We did not rent the audio tour guide and instead cruised around on our own. The information provided speaks more about what you see in the various exhibits (caves) and not a lot of background information is provided. Perhaps a tour guide is the best way to understand the history?

There are newer reviews for Goreme Acikhava Muzesi

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I had been to Goreme a couple of times before I went to the Open-Air Museum but for some reason I kept missing it. After having seen some of the faded frescos in the near-by caves this was completely different and definitely worth paying to get in. I found the entire thing completely fascinating and would recommend spending the extra for the audio guide as you will not get the real experience without it. Take lots of water and wear a hat because it will get really hot in summer!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Even though I visited in the off season, there were lots of buses and tour groups flooding this area. You had to wait in lines to actually see inside some of the caves. I have no problems paying for something that I feel is worth it, The extra money on top of the entrance fee to get in, that I had to pay to see inside the dark church was ridiculous. Definitely a tourist trap. I actaully paid $45 TL ($22) to get the 3day museum pass to visit other areas of interest. After leaving the open air museum, i never went to the other touristy bus flooded areas and used my pass. If you like crowds and waiting in lines this is the ideal place. I would recommend hiking the areas around the open air museum, no costs, no crowds, can do it a leisurely pace and crawl in and out of the cave dwellings.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I came to the open-air museum on the 3rd day of our cappadocia adventure and after our trek at the various valleys the previous day, we felt the place was just ok. For those planning to stay in Cappadocia, I would advise to put the open-air museum FIRST. The museum is definitely a good start but should never be placed in the middle or end of your journey as the other valleys will take your breath away.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Don't miss this if you are visiting Kapadokya. The history, rock churches and the frescoes and landscape are definitely worth it!