“Really a must-see”

Private Day Tour of Cappadocia with Guide
Ranked #3 of 51 things to do in Goreme
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the top attractions in the region, this outdoor museum contains the remains of many churches carved into the famous Cappadocia stone. Of note are the many excellent frescoes that can be seen when exploring the various structures.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Open-Air Museum is a must see for visitors to Goreme. These are the most pristine cave artifacts in the area. And pay the little extra to see the Dark Church. The paintings are well worth the price of admission.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,702)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I really loved this place. It's a rocky area around 12 hours away from Istanbul by bus. When I first arrived there I couldn't believe how amazing this territory could be. I plunged myself into the adventure and decided to take a long walk to discover the beauty of this territory. So I took a 2 hours walk without a guide to the panoramic view and I booked a guided tour for the afternoon, since I've read on Tripadvisor that it'd be better to have a guide in order not to get lost. The guide was not so nice and talkative, but the 4 hours walk we had was just amazing. The different shapes of those rocks, the colors, the sundown and the infinite churches we bumped into were just gorgeous! You don't want to miss this place if you're visiting Turkey!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My hotel, the Kelebek, offered a free, oneway lift to the OAMuseum and highly suggested that I visit it between the hours of 5-7 PM in order to miss the hordes of buses earlier in the day. I did exactly that and was glad that I chose to do so. I was always able to line up a shot with my camera without waiting too long for others to pass by. The Dark Church, to me, is worth the extra admission as the frescoes are exquisite with their rich hues. On the way out I stopped at the gift shop which was running some sales as it was later in the season. I didn't make a purchase but noticed some great buys on coffee table books. I walked back to town, taking my time to enjoy the changing light. If you do so, do not forget to look back, as there will be some magnificent views. Some of the best photos I took on my five-week journey were on the walk back to town.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Churches are in caves of starge stone hills, which make them seem so magical.And some of them have historical paintings.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

It was a different experience!! It's a beautiful place where you can admire the art!! Natural beautiful views!! You can feel that you are in other epoque!!