“Organised our stay in Goreme”
Review of Arch Palace Hotel

Arch Palace Hotel
Ranked #33 of 69 Hotels in Goreme
tw
“Organised our stay in Goreme”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Mustafa the owner made our stay here. He picked us up, drove us to other places and generally organised our stay and ensured we made the most of our time here. When we arrived, he sat with us on the terrace, gave us advise on the places to visit, best ways to get there (eg either tour, hire car or dolmus) and what was feasible in a day. He also organised the balloon ride for us that was excellent. Mustafa clearly invests a lot of time with his guests ensuring that they get the most out of their stay as we saw him doing this with all of the guests.
The room we had was a good size and clean if a little spartan in furnishing. The breakfasts were served on the terrace and were excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have often travelled in Turkey and love both the country and the people. In the Arch Palace Hotel The hospitality of the owner Mustafa and his helper Abdullah was second to none. I was welcomed warmly and was briefed on the area as to what I could do by myself and what I could book as tours if I wished. As I like hiking it was great to have so many valley walks on the doorstep and the Open Air Museum just on the edge of the village. The tours were interesting and I found hit the main places of interest in the area. Ihlara Valley, the underground city and Mustafa Pasha being my favourites.

Sunset from behind the hotel was awe inspiring. Just a short walk up the side of the valley. The other evenings I watched it from the terrace of the Arch Palace itself. Breakfast was an open buffet with eggs, cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, olives etc. Flakes, musli, fruit and yogurt was also on the buffet. I can not list it all. The rooms are varied and roomy in size depending on the number of beds. Clean towels everyday if required. Room is cleaned only if you give in your key which, being an untidy person, I found very convenient :-)

All in all I would say one of the better hotels I have stayed in. Comfortable, hospitable and good location. Be warned! I counted five mosques in the village and where ever you stay you will hear the calling to prayer. This is normal in a muslem country and I found it charming. If you do not like it then I suggest you go to Majorca as normal, lol! The advice given by Mustafa was very useful and appreciated. At no time did he try to sell me anything, on the contrary he just gave me information and I was free to go check out anything he said in the village.

I will be happy to recommend the Arch Palace Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
California, Missouri
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights there, we wanted to change place after the first night but were lazy to do so. The basic room we had was apparently once caringly furnished but not as carefully upkept. No food other than a mediocre breakfast.
there is no service only Moustapha was welcoming to us and he offer us tea than try to sell us some tours and Ballooning whic is higher price than downtown when we said no in 3 days even he didnt talk with us if you book something from him he is so nice to you. The place is near main mosque and if you would like to sleep well in the night you can not sleep. around 5 :00 am praying time you will wake up with Outdoor loudspeakers. this is first time i read TA reviews and find a not good choise. There are lots of places in Goreme We are not recommending this place. you paying 5 star hotel price for Pension whic has no service and friendly people.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rosacastro1010
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Disclaimer: We did not stay here in the end, but I wanted to share with you our encounters with Arch Palace.

We booked the family room for our stay, but when we arrived the owner Mustafa was most apologetic that he had to move us to another property as one of the visitors fell sick and cannot clear up the room as scheduled. The new room was clearly better than our original room (am sure Mustafa must have pulled some strings), and he also made sure we had all our walks and trips planned before leaving us to pick up another traveler from the airport who missed the transfer.

Mustafa was also very frank that as they're so close to the mosque, visitors are often up at 5 or 6am due to the calls to prayer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 23, 2012

After arriving from a week in Istanbul with all the carpet sales people constantly approaching us I was a bit skeptical when at check in, Mustafa sat down with us to discuss and plan our time in Goreme. He told us of the various tours, respected our budget, and shared pros and cons of each for me as ALL require considerable walking and stairs. After the hassles in Istanbul I wanted time to think and decide for ourselves. He said "Of course!" He also added that if we chose to book with another place there were things to watch out for and he told us some of the scams.

We went to our room and did more research on the internet and settled on the Red Tour which Mustafa arranged for us

the next morning at breakfast we had a chance to talk with him for a long time before other patrons arrived. He is the real thing! He genuinely cares about people making the most of their time in Goreme and finding what is right for them. He speaks English well.

We mentioned we had bought a bottle of wine the night before but discovered we needed a cork screw. He told us to bring it up that night and he would open and serve us even though he sold wine himself. He told us to put it in the hotel refrigerator so that it would be cold when we came home. Also anything we needed we were free to ask/use. Etc

He was warm and friendly caring sincere and honest.

We are ecologically minded so we appreciated the chance to CHOOSE to reuse our towels if we wanted. Who changes towels every day at home?!

Our last morning we had to catch an early bus and although it was a short walk over rough uneven brick, he personally drove us in at no cost.

Our room was great - first floor - no noise.

Breakfast is served on the rooftop terrace requiring 2 flights of stairs. the view is spectacular and he has even installed "sheets' that pull across is the sun is blazing so it is always very comfortalbe up there. and the incuded breakfast had more choices than usual.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: WE only saw ours on first floor. there are also rooms on the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at the Arch Palace for 3 nights in August. It was great value for money, in an excellent location only a short walk form the cafes and main tourist area.. The staff were all very helpful. The room was in a 'traditional' turkish style rather than modern, but it was clean and everything worked (except the wifi connection in our room was weak - perhaps due to the thick stone walls). There was no TV.
Breakfast choice was not large but was adequate for Australians, including the best fresh bread rolls we have ever eaten. Breakfast was eaten on the roof courtyard with great views of Cappadocia and the balloons in the morning.
If you take the shuttle from the hotel to Kyseri airport make sure that you leave plenty of time for other pick-ups (as the driver did not know where the hotels were) and we just made our flight.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
La Coruna, Spain
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Mustafa, the owner, is a very nice person. However, this is not enough to make a hotel pleasant. The room upstairs was plain and rather ugly. Service consisted in changing the towels if they were put on the floor and providing soap to the bathroom. It was never vacuumed nor cleaned in the 6 days I stayed there. In fact, I observed that the cleaning lady does not carry any cleaning device. A fly that happened to die the first day on the carpet remained there for the 6 days. Breakfast was bad and not hygienic. Someone in a previous critique talked about "breakfast that was dead for a week". This is exactly the feeling my wife and I had. One could find bits of fruits cut many hours ago. A big fly was on the watermelon. I told the owner to cover the fruit with plastic or find another way to avoid this. He was very receptive to my suggestion but did not change anything except that my part of fruit and that of my wife were kept in the fridge before I arrived. But nothing was changed for the rest of the customers. Except for Mustafa, who of course could not be there everytime, nobody spoke a word of any foreign language except Turkish. Abdullah, the person who helped in everything at this hotel, was an extremely nice person but one could not communicate with him. We had an extremely bad experience upon arrival as the shuttle who was supposed to be waiting for us at the airport (at 11 PM) did not want to drive us to the hotel. Communicating with the hotel reception over the phone was a nightmare as nobody at the hotel reception could understand us. Last: the rooms don't have TV and the only TV in the hotel was out of order while I was there. Of course, one does not go to Turkey to watch TV, but after dark there is not much to do in a small town. Nowadays, TV's are not a luxury anymore. All in all: 70 euros is too much for a place like this. I am sorry I cannot recommend it, although, I repeat, Mustafa and Abdullah are extremely nice persons.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple