“Couldn't ask for a better hotel”

Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Goreme
Winnipeg
“Couldn't ask for a better hotel”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

To summarize our experience briefly - this hotel surpassed all our expectations and provided an exceptional room, unbelievable (complementary) breakfast and a level of customer service we didn't find anywhere else in Turkey.

We arrived in Goreme after a pretty brutal hotel experience in Istanbul and with an unfortunate image of Turkey as a whole forming in our minds when the delightful staff of Kelebek completely saved our vacation. They all speak English, which is not something you can take for granted in Turkey. Furthermore, we felt throughout our stay as though they were concerned first and foremost with our well-being. They even insisted on making us sandwiches and juices for our early airport pickup on the last day when we wouldn't be able to make it to the daily buffet breakfast.

The hotel is at the very top of the town, which means the view from the breakfast terrace is unbeatable, but still very near to every place you'll want to go in Goreme.

The manager gave us an extremely helpful and honest overview of all the activities we should pursue in the area based on our time-frame and the other places we would be visiting in Turkey.

Perhaps the best part was how affordable all this luxury was.

You should stay here.

Room Tip: Room 112 is quiet and spacious enough. I'm sure all the rooms are equally good, though the fairy...
2 Thank Aaron S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel and setting are magnificent. You can sit and enjoy a drink at the hotel bar overlooking Goreme. The hotel staff make a real effort to make your stay as pleasant as possible - even offering a lift to some of the nearby attractions. Tremendous.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Murat Y, Sahibi at Kelebek Special Cave Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at Kelebek Special Cave Hotel. We are happy to read that you are satisfied with our facilities, our service and our team. I have shared your comments with them and they are all very pleased. Our focus is to deliver Turkish Hospitality to our guests from all around the world.

My team and I are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Scottsdale
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Kelebek Cave Hotel in late August. Everything everyone else has written about the hotel is accurate. We stayed in Room 116, and it was so cool. Even better than the room itself was the service. Everyone at the hotel, especially Matt, was very helpful. The breakfast is absolutely fantastic, has everything you could want.

We would recommend the Kelebek to anyone wanting to stay in a cave hotel and wants exceptional service as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonellenScottsdale
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 8, 2013

To illustrate how incredible this hotel and its staff are, let me tell you a story... on the morning that my partner and I left Cappadocia, we got a shuttle to the airport in Nevsehir which is about 30-some minutes away from Goreme. When we arrrived and walked into the terminal, we suddenly realized that we had left our passports (and cash) in the safe in our room at the Kelebek Hotel. Naturally, we panicked first and then ran out to find our shuttle driver who was still there and very generously helped us get in touch with the hotel. We asked the night attendant on duty to put our passports in taxi and drive them out and we would pay the driver once he arrived. Instead, about 45 minutes later, the manager from the hotel (Mert) pulled up and ran into the airport with our passports and money. Mert was amazing from the day we arrived until the minute we left... literally.

Aside from that, we can tell you that the rest of the staff at Kelebek is also very, very friendly and helpful. There was not one person who didn't smile and greet us with kindness in the short time we were there.

The hotel itself is beautiful and has stunning views of Goreme and great views of the balloons early in the morning. The rooms were very comfortable, clean and well-kept. Breakfast is included with the hotel price and includes a wide variety of breakfast items... both traditional Turkish foods as well as Western breakfast items. It was all very fresh and plentiful. Really good food!

We also signed up for the hamam with a facial and massage and can't say enough good things about this experience! Wow! We arrived and were greeted by the staff who showed us to a room to take off our clothes (and lock them up) and gave us a "sarong" to wrap around our waist. We sat in the steam room for about 15 minutes and then went into the hamam to get scrubbed, followed by rinse, followed by a sudsy soap rub, followed by another rinse. Once that was done, we were escorted to a room when we received a really nice massage. Following the massage, we had our faces painted with something and then went to the bathroom to rinse and shower. I had a little anxiety going into it about what to expect and the staff at the Kelebek was very helpful and friendly during the whole experience.

3 Thank Tim S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a fantastic time at the Kelebek. Room 5 the most authentic.The overall service is fantastic nothing is too much trouble although the service on the chill out deck can be a little slow. We enjoyed the trip to farm with the owner for a home grown organic breakfast . The breakfast at the hotel also has fantastic variety .

Room Tip: Room 1 is on the walk way to the restaurant and next to shared toilets
1 Thank Mariah M
Murat Y, Sahibi at Kelebek Special Cave Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experience with us at Kelebek Special Cave Hotel. We are glad to know that you are satisfied with the room, breakfast and our services on offer. I have shared your comments with our team and they are pleased that they have exceeded your expectations and made you feel home a away from home. Our focus is to show Turkish Hospitality to all our guests from all over the world.

My team and I are looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards
Mérignac
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have rarely stayed in such a wonderful hotel. The hotel is beautiful and extremely comfortable. The personnel are really friendly and very helpful. The restaurant is excellent. The breakfast is amazing. The views are breathtaking. You can have tea or coffee at any time of the day. The rooms are comfortable, clean and beautifully renovated. The swimming pool is small but very refreshing and the loungers are very comfortable. The hotel has several different terraces and rooms where you can relax and a fantastic hammam where you can have a selection of massages. What is particularly pleasant is that you can go together, there is no separation of men and women. The first morning we went to Rose Valley with the owner, Ali for an organic breakfast with several other guests. It was fantastic. Ali told us about his family and history on the way and then in the valley they served us an amazing breakfast. The hotel organises everything you need : balloon rides, airport transfers, guided tours. We only stayed 3 days but it was definitely the best hotel we stayed in during the 3 weeks we were in Turkey. What's more it was not expensive at all - under 50 euros a night in mid-August. If you don't go on a balloon ride, get up at about 6 and go to the pool terrace and watch the balloons float up into the air all over the valley, it's magical!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cathy M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I must admit that when I first booked this hotel I thought it was going to be a disaster. I booked 2 rooms which you can choose online and left my credit card details. The next day I got an email that said one of the rooms was not available. i chose another room and got the same response the next day... the same thing happened on the 3rd day. At this point I lost my patience and wrote a nasty email to the hotel. I informed them of my arrival date and time but got no subsequent response. I expected to be stuck at the airport with my friends. However when I arrived there was a guy waiting with a card with my name on it that got us to the hotel that evening. From then on things just got better. From the moment we checked in we felt right at home. When I met Ozlem, I really felt awful about my nasty email, but she was so sweet and gracious that I felt even worse. She was just happy that we were satisfied and made me feel better. The place is fantastic with an incredible view. Breakfast is good and the staff is simply fantastic. I have to make to commend Ozlem and Tuna for exceptional service at the hotel.

I had requested some tours, but was unsure about them since we got in late. Two full day tours were booked for us with Heritage travel. The hotel owns the tour company too. The tours were just great and I would highly recommend tour 1&2. Once again I have to commend Serdar and Canan Ciftci for being exceptional and knowledgable tour guides. I took lots of pictures and was absolutely thrilled. Unfortunately on my return I lost my compact flash card on board United Airlines. I am hoping they will locate it. This is the only disaster on an otherwise fantastic and most memorable trip.

Room Tip: Some of the cave rooms are a little small with limited head room. Keep this in mind if you are tall...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
Divan Cave House
Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia
Sultan Cave Suites
Sultan Cave Suites
#15 of 76 in Goreme

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!