Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$132
$48
$175
$169
$33
Caravanserai Cave Hotel(Goreme)(Great Value!)
$37
$53
$135
TripAdvisor
2,690 results
All reviewsorganic breakfastkelebek staffturkeybutterfly balloonsturkish bathheritage travelballoon ridefairy chimneyscommon areasbeautiful hotelunique experiencethe hot air balloonsamazing viewsmagical placeday touropen air museumunderground cities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 1, 2013

There's so many elements that make this a great place, I hope I don't forget some of them in this review which I will do in point form.
-transfers. There are 2 airports in the area, both about 30-45 away. We flew into one and flew out of the other. Hotel arranged both transfers and they were seamless and efficient. One was included in price of room.
-We chose one of the cheapest rooms and couldn't have been happier. Spectacular views, wooden door, a real experience. I would say splurge...but even if you can't afford to, the most basic of rooms is something special.
-Staff. Very helpful in making most of your trip. They'll suggest several tour options based on your time there and your interests. All were reasonably priced and good value for the money. "Tour 1" is not to be missed in my mind and will take up most of the day...for the price, the lunch aspect of it alone made it worthwhile. Ballooning they set up as well, they have a partnership with Butterfly Balloons. Like most, I can't compare too much because I was a first timer. But I imagine you get what you pay for. There are cheaper I believe but more crowded. This was a first class operation and we were happy with our decision.
-Food. We ate dinner here both nights. Very good prices. Good food. Attentive service. Eating on site is something I rarely if ever do...but it was nice to eat, have an after dinner drink on the terrace, and then retire to your room, especially if you have to wake up for a 5:30 balloon ride. Breakfast was awesome...only problem was you literally wanted to try everything, every bite was better than the one before, but there is only so much you can eat...but I believe I pushed those parameters to the limit.
-Even better Food. There is an organic breakfast tour/trip that is also included in the price of most rooms. take it! do it! The owner took us on a winding ride thru back roads and it was a truly memorable experience. He has lived in the area all his life and just the recent history of him growing up, the hotel starting off as a haven for back-packers, everything he said was from the heart and made it an experience. The breakfast itself? Wonderful location. Wonderful food. It is an element of the hotel that has been added in the last year and you can see the forward thinking and hospitality. With all the bells and whistles of a balloon ride and a great tour, this was indeed a highlite and demonstrated the owners caring and passion for his work.
Terrace's/balcony. The day we didn't go ballooning I made sure we got up early and made it down to the terrace for about 7:30. Can you think of anything better than sipping your morning coffee with you feet up and watching the spectacular views with all the balloons going by. I'm not a morning person but this wasn't to be missed. During the day, the spot has a resort feel to it with waiters making sure your taken care of with either a complimentary apple tea or a nice cold Efes.
Wonderful place that won't soon be forgotten.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Capfan
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Staying in a cave hotel is a one-of-a-kind experience; staying at the Kelebek Cave hotel in one of the cave rooms is an extraordinary experience. First, the rooms are wonderfully cozy and comfortable, with all modern conveniences, beautifully furnished. I woke up early the first morning and watched a flotilla of hot air balloons over Goereme from right outside our door as the sun was rising, as well as from the different terraces, all providing excellent views over Goereme. The hotel is designed to welcome and cherish its guests. The terraces have tables and chairs, but also low Turkish seating with lots of comfortable cushions for lounging and relaxing with tea, beer or wine and food. WiFi works only in non-cave areas, not in the cave rooms - it can't get through the walls! The hamman provides wonderfully relaxing massages and scrubs. Lastly, but actually firstly, the staff is the best we have ever had the good fortune to encounter in any hotel anywhere. They are completely focused on making each guest's experience the best it can possibly be, whether that means driving you to the start of a canyon walk, providing coffee and food before the start of the official breakfast hour, advising you - without any sales push whatsoever - on how you can best accomplish what you want to do. The hotel owner himself is wonderfully open and accessible, providing guests who choose the organic gardening tour with a personal glimpse of life in Cappadocia 40-50 years ago. That tour was an absolute highlight of our four-day, five night, stay. The property itself is beautifully designed and decorated with flower pots and old Anatolian farm implements. Charming! I wish we could come back once a year!

Room Tip: Stay in a cave room - they are very special!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elisabeth1943
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Coming to Cappadocia and staying in a cave hotel is not an experience anyone should pass up. And if you are going to stay at a cave hotel, you should do it right and stay at Kelebek. A group of friends and I stayed here for several nights and absolutely loved it. We arranged a shuttle from Nevsehir Airport and it was ~45 minutes away. While it is within walking distance from the main drag of Göreme, it is set far enough away and up on a hill that it is very peaceful and quiet. The rooms we stayed in were absolutely gorgeous with very comfortable beds. The food was also amazing, from the huge spread at breakfast every morning to dinner options as well. The "living room area" where meals are served is a great communal place to meet people.

I would also just like to give extra props to the staff here at the hotel. Everyone was exceptionally helpful and actually went above and beyond during our stay. One of my friends got very sick during this trip, and Kelebek arranged everything for us, including getting my friend to the hospital, allowing them to stay an extra night, and helping to rearrange their flight back to Istanbul. Simply one of a kind!

Room Tip: While there is generally no Wifi in the rooms (only in the living room), we stayed in Room 20, which is right underneath the living room and was able to get Wifi there.
Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Yian H
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We choose Kelebek hotel after much researching and reviewing all the hotels in cappadocia.
we arrive early morning after our long 12 hour bus trip from istanbul. Someone called up the hotel and they arrive almost immediately to pick us up~~ The room of course are not ready since it was in the morning but they offered to store our bags and let us have a wash-up. They also kindly offered us a turkish tea which was great coz it was a little bit cold with the drizzle.. We love the cave room and felt like we are way back into time like the flinstone~~ we only stayed a night but everything was great love atmosphere of the place and lovely breakfast too~~

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Anne L
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were absolutely in awe staying at Kelebek Special cave hotel. Breathtaking scenery overlooking the stunning valley and town of Gorome with fairy chimneys everywhere you look. The terraces are great for relaxing and enjoying tea and coffee at anytime of the day...free. The service was so genuine and we were really impressed with the extent to which the staff went to make our stay enjoyable. Our party of four elected to stay in the two fairy chimneys they have. This was a neat experience. When will I stay in a fairy chimney that was a chapel centuries ago? This was my chance, and so lad we did. Be warned that it is about ten large steps up to the fairy chimney suites, and you access a bathroom outside of the room. They are small, but cozy with the heaters on. I awoke at 6am to watch the hot air balloons go overhead...stunning! The balloon with my husband and two friends actually went right past me while standing a stones throw away, close enough to have a conversation. The Hammam is well worth a visit and the tour we went on was also a great experience of underground cities and a hike thru the Rose valley. Spend at least a few days here as you will not regret it!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple