Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
$83
Hotels.com
$58
$55
Chelebi Cave House(Goreme)(Great Value!)
$45
  • Breakfast included
2,701 results
All reviewsorganic breakfastkelebek staffturkeybutterfly balloonsturkish bathheritage travelballoon ridefairy chimneyscommon areasbeautiful hotelunique experiencethe hot air balloonsamazing viewsmagical placeday touropen air museumunderground cities
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We only allowed 2 days to visit this hotel, we so wished we could have stayed longer. It was truly a unique experience. The people in the front office were so knowledgeable and helpful in planning activities while in Goreme. The rooms were extremely clean, the grounds beautiful and relaxing. We were offered an opportunity to experience a traditional Turkish Breakfast in the valley. The owner takes people there an explained what it was like to grow up in the area and work the land. Although the trek down into the valley was extemely scarry and the hike back out was demanding in the heat, it was an interesting experience. We tried to extend our stay but the hotel was full. This hotel was one of the highlights of our travels through Greece and Turkey.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Kelebek was by far one of the highlights of my visit to Turkey. Reception was extremely informative and helpful. The common areas are wonderful. Especially the "breakfast area" which had stunning views and comfy cushions. There was even a momma cat and 2 adorable kittens during my stay there. Breakfast is ample and varied. They even arranged for us to have coffee and food at 6am (even though breakfast doesn't officially begin until 8) since we had to leave early to catch a flight. The pool is also really nice, despite it's frigid temperatures. The hammam is gorgeous and I had a wonderful massage there. I honestly felt like I could languish at the hotel without leaving for days.

The only drawback for us was the noise level in the room. We were in room 2 which has a window that opens up onto the main path. It was hot out and there's no a/c so it would've been really nice to sleep with the window open. But it was literally like having people walking and talking in your room constantly. But when we shut the window it was stuffy and hot. Needless to say, it was an awful 2 nights sleep. Also, the bathroom doesn't have a door. I still give the hotel 5 stars because the receptionist went out of his way to try and relocate us and everything else was flawless. Also, it's probably a nonissue when the weather is cooler and you don't need to sleep with the window open.

ps. definitely head up to the breakfast are around 6am to see the balloons. Amazing!

Room Tip: Room 2 has windows that open onto a busy walkway. If you want to sleep with your window open, these are not good options
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Suffice it to say that there is a wide range in terms of price for the various rooms at the Kelebek and yes, there will be a varied clientele staying here. I never encountered any people I thought were distasteful and if I had, I certainly can't blame the hotel for the "types of people" staying at the hotel as I notice a few other reviewers did. People are people, I fail to see how this applies to the actual lodging. The check-in office provided excellent, friendly service. Due to a minor misinterpretation and lest we not forget that English is not their first language, a hotel shuttle I thought I arranged did not show. It turns out that what I thought was confirmation was not. Nothing to get in a tizzy about. They quickly remedied the situation by having a cab pick us up and we still only paid the prearranged amount. When traveling in another country things are going to happen, there is bound to be a lapse in communication. Nothing to dwell on.

The service in the restaurant needs some work. We finally had to (after 15 minutes) go in and fetch our own menus, and then they failed to bring out requested drinks. The breakfast was exactly what is offered at virtually every other hotel in Turkey and is fine. The food was just okay at the restaurant, but I must admit I wasn't impressed. However, you can dine at their sister hotel the Seten, just around the corner, and their food was quite good.

They are happy to arrange tours if you're interested, I don't feel as though they pressure you into anything, they present the options and will advise if requested to do so, or did so in my case anyway.

The location is perfect, you get the view and a relatively easy walk into town to check things out. Its about a 30 minute walk to the Goreme Outdoor Museum. The owner of this hotel also owns a hot air balloon company which our friends decided to do and rather enjoyed. Thought it was perfectly worth it. As a hotel guest you also receive a discount, though I don't recall what that was.

They have a free organic breakfast for guests, which was beautiful, however, if you are allergic to bee stings/wasps, the eating portion will definitely be something you'll need to skip. They were literally everywhere and in everything. This didn't work for two of my fellow travelers as one is quite allergic and the other just completely petrified of being stung. The experience overall is pretty and worth it...just grab a bite before or after.

The rooms could definitely use some lighting upgrades. It is extremely dim and if you like to read before bed, this could be problematic, it was for me. Not having a tv is a non-issue since I don't go on vacation to watch television and it isn't as if I'm going to be able to understand anything on anyway.

I loved the common areas, the hammocks, the pool, the seating around the pool, the lounge area below the restaurant. It was other worldly and I enjoyed the views and the natural setting. The standard rooms are average in size, but I assure you there is enough room. The bathrooms are undeniably small, but really fine. Do be warned however, it can be scorching here and many of the rooms do not have air conditioning. They will provide you with a fan and at night, it does seem to get quite cool. If it didn't, that could make the idea of sleeping outside in one of the hammocks quite appealing.

I would recommend staying here, as I believe the value is quite good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I highly recommend staying at the Kelebek. Prices are extremely reasonable, the setting is unbelievable - authentic cave rooms, outstanding views, and plenty of chillout spots (including hammocks, balconies, terraces, a garden and a pool). The buffet breakfast is delicious and varied. The staff were always cheerful and went out of their way to be helpful. I plan to be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We enjoyed a fabulous 3 night stay at this beautiful hotel in an ideal location in Goreme.

Reception was more like an orientation that was very helpful. The entire staff is friendly and will help you with most anything. They can arrange tours, taxis, dinner reservations, etc.

We had a charming cave room that was very large and had a large bathroom as well. No a/c but the window is left open(their are bars so no one can enter) and an oscalating fan. Comfortable bed with nice linens. 2 sitting chairs and coffee table with a small fireplace for cool nights or cold days. Closet, small safe, good lights(room is dark). Wood floor. The bathroom was all marble and tile. Large vanity with a very nice size shower w/good hot/cold water pressure. There was also a faucet and copper bowl for throwing water on yourself...like the Turkish do. There is a drain in the floor so not to worry :) Quality soap/shampoos/lotions, etc. Very quiet...we slept like babies.

Breakfast is included in your room rate and it was a large variety of items. Mostly the same everyday. Sometimes diff. breads/pastries/cakes. You can sit outside on the lovely terrace that has a terrific view of the area. Or, tables inside if you prefer. Served from 8-11 am. They also serve lunch and dinner froma limited menu. There is a bar for beer, wine, raki, cocktails, etc. There are several rooms for sitting, watching tv/movies, computer usage, a library, etc. All very clean and cozy. You can easily meet other guests. There are stairs everywhere so be prepared for that. Stairs, stairs and more stairs.

There is a small pool with another great view. But, it was not taken care of too good. Cushions were not on the lounges, some chairs were broken, umbrellas not up, etc. If they straightened it up we believe alot more folks would use it or at least relax there. There is an outside bar but it was not open. You can get cocktails/drinks/food from inside though. This is the only area of the entire hotel/grounds that needs a little TLC.

They gave us a lift(no charge) to the Goreme Open Air Museum as well as some of the nearby restaurants. How nice is that! They have reasonable laundry service too. You get a 10% cash discount on the room portion of your bill. Also, a spa is on property.

If you go out the back entrance of the hotel, it literally takes 5-7 minutes to walk into town. We did not realize that at first.

Cappadochia is a remarkable part of Turkey that you must see. And, as far as the Kelebek Hotel...only 2 words are needed...STAY HERE.

5 STARS.