“Wonderful! Except for our noisy room :(”

Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Goreme
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Kelebek was by far one of the highlights of my visit to Turkey. Reception was extremely informative and helpful. The common areas are wonderful. Especially the "breakfast area" which had stunning views and comfy cushions. There was even a momma cat and 2 adorable kittens during my stay there. Breakfast is ample and varied. They even arranged for us to have coffee and food at 6am (even though breakfast doesn't officially begin until 8) since we had to leave early to catch a flight. The pool is also really nice, despite it's frigid temperatures. The hammam is gorgeous and I had a wonderful massage there. I honestly felt like I could languish at the hotel without leaving for days.

The only drawback for us was the noise level in the room. We were in room 2 which has a window that opens up onto the main path. It was hot out and there's no a/c so it would've been really nice to sleep with the window open. But it was literally like having people walking and talking in your room constantly. But when we shut the window it was stuffy and hot. Needless to say, it was an awful 2 nights sleep. Also, the bathroom doesn't have a door. I still give the hotel 5 stars because the receptionist went out of his way to try and relocate us and everything else was flawless. Also, it's probably a nonissue when the weather is cooler and you don't need to sleep with the window open.

ps. definitely head up to the breakfast are around 6am to see the balloons. Amazing!

Room Tip: Room 2 has windows that open onto a busy walkway. If you want to sleep with your window open, these...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,674)

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Suffice it to say that there is a wide range in terms of price for the various rooms at the Kelebek and yes, there will be a varied clientele staying here. I never encountered any people I thought were distasteful and if I had, I certainly can't blame the hotel for the "types of people" staying at the hotel as I notice a few other reviewers did. People are people, I fail to see how this applies to the actual lodging. The check-in office provided excellent, friendly service. Due to a minor misinterpretation and lest we not forget that English is not their first language, a hotel shuttle I thought I arranged did not show. It turns out that what I thought was confirmation was not. Nothing to get in a tizzy about. They quickly remedied the situation by having a cab pick us up and we still only paid the prearranged amount. When traveling in another country things are going to happen, there is bound to be a lapse in communication. Nothing to dwell on.

The service in the restaurant needs some work. We finally had to (after 15 minutes) go in and fetch our own menus, and then they failed to bring out requested drinks. The breakfast was exactly what is offered at virtually every other hotel in Turkey and is fine. The food was just okay at the restaurant, but I must admit I wasn't impressed. However, you can dine at their sister hotel the Seten, just around the corner, and their food was quite good.

They are happy to arrange tours if you're interested, I don't feel as though they pressure you into anything, they present the options and will advise if requested to do so, or did so in my case anyway.

The location is perfect, you get the view and a relatively easy walk into town to check things out. Its about a 30 minute walk to the Goreme Outdoor Museum. The owner of this hotel also owns a hot air balloon company which our friends decided to do and rather enjoyed. Thought it was perfectly worth it. As a hotel guest you also receive a discount, though I don't recall what that was.

They have a free organic breakfast for guests, which was beautiful, however, if you are allergic to bee stings/wasps, the eating portion will definitely be something you'll need to skip. They were literally everywhere and in everything. This didn't work for two of my fellow travelers as one is quite allergic and the other just completely petrified of being stung. The experience overall is pretty and worth it...just grab a bite before or after.

The rooms could definitely use some lighting upgrades. It is extremely dim and if you like to read before bed, this could be problematic, it was for me. Not having a tv is a non-issue since I don't go on vacation to watch television and it isn't as if I'm going to be able to understand anything on anyway.

I loved the common areas, the hammocks, the pool, the seating around the pool, the lounge area below the restaurant. It was other worldly and I enjoyed the views and the natural setting. The standard rooms are average in size, but I assure you there is enough room. The bathrooms are undeniably small, but really fine. Do be warned however, it can be scorching here and many of the rooms do not have air conditioning. They will provide you with a fan and at night, it does seem to get quite cool. If it didn't, that could make the idea of sleeping outside in one of the hammocks quite appealing.

I would recommend staying here, as I believe the value is quite good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I highly recommend staying at the Kelebek. Prices are extremely reasonable, the setting is unbelievable - authentic cave rooms, outstanding views, and plenty of chillout spots (including hammocks, balconies, terraces, a garden and a pool). The buffet breakfast is delicious and varied. The staff were always cheerful and went out of their way to be helpful. I plan to be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We enjoyed a fabulous 3 night stay at this beautiful hotel in an ideal location in Goreme.

Reception was more like an orientation that was very helpful. The entire staff is friendly and will help you with most anything. They can arrange tours, taxis, dinner reservations, etc.

We had a charming cave room that was very large and had a large bathroom as well. No a/c but the window is left open(their are bars so no one can enter) and an oscalating fan. Comfortable bed with nice linens. 2 sitting chairs and coffee table with a small fireplace for cool nights or cold days. Closet, small safe, good lights(room is dark). Wood floor. The bathroom was all marble and tile. Large vanity with a very nice size shower w/good hot/cold water pressure. There was also a faucet and copper bowl for throwing water on yourself...like the Turkish do. There is a drain in the floor so not to worry :) Quality soap/shampoos/lotions, etc. Very quiet...we slept like babies.

Breakfast is included in your room rate and it was a large variety of items. Mostly the same everyday. Sometimes diff. breads/pastries/cakes. You can sit outside on the lovely terrace that has a terrific view of the area. Or, tables inside if you prefer. Served from 8-11 am. They also serve lunch and dinner froma limited menu. There is a bar for beer, wine, raki, cocktails, etc. There are several rooms for sitting, watching tv/movies, computer usage, a library, etc. All very clean and cozy. You can easily meet other guests. There are stairs everywhere so be prepared for that. Stairs, stairs and more stairs.

There is a small pool with another great view. But, it was not taken care of too good. Cushions were not on the lounges, some chairs were broken, umbrellas not up, etc. If they straightened it up we believe alot more folks would use it or at least relax there. There is an outside bar but it was not open. You can get cocktails/drinks/food from inside though. This is the only area of the entire hotel/grounds that needs a little TLC.

They gave us a lift(no charge) to the Goreme Open Air Museum as well as some of the nearby restaurants. How nice is that! They have reasonable laundry service too. You get a 10% cash discount on the room portion of your bill. Also, a spa is on property.

If you go out the back entrance of the hotel, it literally takes 5-7 minutes to walk into town. We did not realize that at first.

Cappadochia is a remarkable part of Turkey that you must see. And, as far as the Kelebek Hotel...only 2 words are needed...STAY HERE.

5 STARS.

2  Thank HawaiiKaiGail
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Goreme is chock-a-block with cave hotels, I went dizzy trying to choose. Let me make it easy for the rest of you, stay here at the Kelebek. The hotel is large enough to have lots of hidden spots to lie in a hammock or lounge by the pool or perhaps linger over coffee or a beer on the restaurant terrace. The rooms are spacious and charming and the staff was uniformly cheerful and helpful. I fell ill while here and I must say, I can't think of a better place for it to have happened. I spent the day on a soft lounge chair under a giant umbrella by the pool where the shade and soft breezed lulled me to sleep. Oh, the food in the restaurant is very good and they recommend their 'sister' property, the Sultan Suites nearby for their lovely evening restaurant The Seten. Our dinner there was another highlight of our stay, there was a lovely musician playing Turkish music and we totally enjoyed the experience.

Room Tip: We had a room by the Rose Garden, which was lovely.
2  Thank HE_Low
Reviewed September 30, 2012

What I love about Kelebek is that whether you are staying in a cramped fairy chimney or in the most luxurious suite, you have access to all the same top notch shared facilities and will receive the same treatment from the staff.
We know this to be true as we started off our trip in room no.2 - it was fine, if cosy, but is just below the breakfast area so you can hear quite a lot of passing footfall as well as conversations, which was not reason enough to change rooms, but there was an issue with the flush on our WC. The hotel dealt with this in an exemplary way (I used to work in travel) and offered for us to move for our final night to the 'Eagle's nest' room 21. WOW. Never would we have experienced such luxury had our WC not broken! Total treat and left us with very positive feel about the hotel.
Local advice on walks you can do independently was really valuable, and earned our trust to book an excursion (no.2 Ilhara Valley) and a balloon ride - although I was a bit miffed there were 20 people in our basket when we had been promised max of 16.
The pool IS cold but really refreshing after a hot dusty day walking amongst the rocks!
Hotel restaurant is a bit bland for dinner, but the next door Sultan Cave restaurant is excellent, and good value for what you get.
It was a bonus to be able to store luggage and use shower facilities up until the evening of our departure. And tea / apple tea is free all day, as is internet access. (I've rated sleep quality as 3/5 because it is so worth getting up at dawn to see the balloons in the sky, as well as getting up to go in a balloon yourself! Oh and you'll hear the pre-dawn call to prayer too.)
My only fear for Kelebek is that prices will rise as its popularity increases. It's too good to keep it a secret!

Room Tip: My recommendation would be to choose your room carefully - because you can! - and ask lots of questi...
1  Thank TravelPally33
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel is truly fantastic. Great location, beautifully appointed and very helpful and attentive staff. The breakfast buffet is probably the best we've ever experienced anywhere in the world (so far) and the views from the breakfast terrace amazing. We only stayed 2 nights but it felt longer because the place is so relaxing. A wonderful hotel in an out-of-this-world setting.

Room Tip: We chose Suite 17 because of it's private terrace and wonderful views over the town and valley...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goreme
0 mi away
#14 of 80 in Goreme
Erenbey Cave Hotel
Erenbey Cave Hotel
#9 of 80 in Goreme

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!