I would give this one 3.5 stars but tripadvisor does not allow for fractions.
First the positives - Yes this is an authentic boutique cave hotel. We stayed in suite 301. It was really in a cave. The suite was large with a comfortable lounge at the mezzanine level, an alcove with cushions that doubles as a rest and additional sleep area. A big comfortable bed and large spacious bathroom. We got access to a balcony which offers breathtaking view of the surroundings. The hotel is truly well located for good views. And it was a short 10min walk (albeit uphill when you are coming back from town) from Goreme. Which is good for at least you have the opportunity to dine out at night and stroll around the souvenirs bazzaar when you are tired of sightseeing. The room service and housekeeping response is quite prompt.
Now the downsides - Manage your expectations. It may give the impression that it is quite luxurious and up market with the name like Suites or all suite boutique hotel. But it is not. It is rather rustic and in my opinion lacks the finer touch. Let me elaborate. When we checked in - we found that the tissues, some towels, toiletries and drinking water has not be replenished. One would expect all these basic necessities should be in the room before the guests check in.
A bigger issue we had was - the heating and AC is centrally controlled and we were told it cannot be adjusted. There was nights when it was simply TOO hot to get a good night's sleep. We resorted to opening our windows. But that only cool down the living room in the mezzanine floor but not really the bedroom set further back from the windows. Likewise for the sauna like heat we had to endure in the bathroom.
The breakfast was not very good. Both range and quality. Presentations were also quite unimpressive. A rather provincial feel to it.
The front desk service was functional but not exactly forthcoming or warm. While reliable and responsive when asked; you don't expect them to volunteer anything additional or do anything more then what they were asked to.
The worse experience of all was the housekeeping staff on the day of our checkout. We came from a culture where tipping is customary for porters but not necessarily housekeeping. We were not informed it was expected. In most other hotels - a tipping box would have been left at the reception or dining area for the general tip to the staff. If so, we will have not problem with it. But there were no such hints either in this place. So we went checked out, we were surprised to find the housekeeper standing by our pickup transfer. We only had change for the porter. So we inadvertently failed to tip the housekeeper. In very bad form, she gave us a nasty disgusted look, and throw a towel on the floor close to our feet. I think such behavior is totally unacceptable. I also had impression Turkish people are always nice and friendly. This was the first bad case we had and it sure left a sour taste for our thoughts of the hotel. For the record, in all my travels to so many hotels, big ,small, expensive, cheaps etc etc ...I have never came across at incident like this. I urge the hotel to give better training to its housekeepers.
It is such a pity. There is so much potential in this hotel. They need to improve on their 'software'. Until then, on my next trip, I may just try the Museum Hotel in Uchicisar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cappadocia Cave Suites is located in the city of Goreme, one of the most beautiful and characteristic locales in the Cappadocia region. The famous fairy chimneys and fantastic colorful shapes of the landscape, make this region a natural wonder of the world. Come to relax and explore this historic, wondrous and romantic landscape while enjoying the finest in hotel accommodations and world famous Turkish hospitality.... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, HostelWorld, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Cappadocia Cave Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cappadocia Cave Hotel Goreme
- Cappadocia Cave Goreme
- Cappadocia Cave Suites Goreme, Turkey