“Excellent place to learn about rugs and purchase a rug.”

Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles
Ranked #2 of 18 Shopping in Goreme
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ruth Lockwood is a well-respected oriental carpet dealer and the owner of Tribal Collections - a beautiful oriental carpet gallery with a long-established reputation for both integrity and quality. Originally from New Zealand, Ruth was one of the first women and foreign oriental carpet dealers in Turkey,and now with nearly 3 decades of expertise her gallery is a leading choice for those looking to learn, or to acquire, a beautiful hand-woven rug, flat-woven kilim or symbolic tribal weaving. Ruth can help you navigate the myriad of stunning styles, intricate designs and rich colour palettes to find the unique rug that best expresses your individual asthetic. She lectures, researches, provides expert carpet educationals and is known as a honest professional voice in the sometimes bewildering world of oriental carpets. Tribal Collections has recently relocated to a new space in a traditionally-restored cave house, in the fascinating village of Goreme, Cappadocia - the heart of traditional Turkish weaving.Ruth purchases at source ensuring that her rugs reflect the unique history and traditions, art and expression of the individual weavers.Her passion for oriental carpets and textiles means that every carpet purchased by you at Tribal Collections will be a symbol of lasting value and enduring beauty. I know what it feels like to be a tourist traveling through the sometimes-bewildering world of Turkish carpet shops,with their bewildering array of designs, sizes and prices, so I love to share my knowledge and help all my clients find that special carpet that is 'just right' for them and their budget.You are welcome to spend time with me at my gallery, to browse and enjoy, or to learn more about the techniques, motifs, dyes and traditions that make each carpet and kilim a unique and individual work of art. To make you feel more comfortable I have a wide-open door policy and fixed prices: making it easy for you to compare, contrast and discover I look forward to you visiting me at Tribal Collections !
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Milwaukee, WI
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellent place to learn about rugs and purchase a rug.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

By the time we started our trip to Turkey we had decided not to look for a rug on our visit, because we felt so pressured and overwhelmed with information here in the states. We didn't even know what information was correct. We tried a few places in Istanbul and gave up again for the same reason. Then we met Ruth and everything changed. We love our new rug, understand rugs 100% better than before, and the service in getting it home was excellent.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Eilish
rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to send such a great review . We appreciate your comments very much and am delighted that you are happy with your carpet ! I hope it will always remind you of your travels in Turkey .

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A different kind of service.... buying with confidence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Goreme was the last place visited in Turkey and by then we had seen several carpet places, experiences marked by an overwhelming sense of confusion and sales pressure. Tribal Collections stands apart on several counts. Ruth is genuinely passionate about weaving, knows her products well and importantly LISTENS to customers when they are giving an idea of what they are after, or not as the case may be. By having fixed prices, you are able to make your purchase decisions without wondering if this is an overinflated price set with an expectation of haggling. Use the company's website to research their products and prices before you go and be informed. We found the perfect piece to add to our collection and appreciated the respectful and honest sales approach we experienced at Tribal Collections.

Visited September 2013
rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Wow - when I read a review like this it makes me feel humbled . Thank you so much for your very kind and sweet comments.Its so very much appreciated as I just love helping people find just the 'right' carpet for them !
Thanks again
Brisbane, Australia
“Hassle Free & Educational Carpet Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We were taken to Tribal Collections by our Tour guide (Gypsian Tours). We hadn't thought a great deal about purchasing a carpet whilst in Turkey so were able to ignore the many carpet shops/salesmen in Istanbul and other stops as knew we would be visiting one in Goreme. We thought best to keep an open mind and if saw something that appealed would consider. We found the experience most interesting and Ruth's "educational" speil certainly enlightened us on the variety of carpet qualities. With no pressure to buy and fixed prices we left with a salt bag for us and a carpet that we hoped our son & daughter-in-law would like for their yet to be built home. (They do). We were able to carry the carpet as hand luggage (just under 7kgs) which was advantageous. Ruth's in the business to sell carpets and she does this well but her personality & manner and instruction leave you with a shopping experience where you feel you know exactly what you have bought. I'm sure I could have found many pieces that appealed but we don't have the room. Goreme is well worth the visit but would highly recommend even just for the Tribal Collections experience if interested in a carpet purchase.

Visited September 2013
Thank you so very much for your kind review . I am so glad that you enjoyed the educational and are thrilled that your son and daughter love their carpet !
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Rugs and Textiles and great customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I happened to be reading my travel guide book and realized I was almost in front of Tribal Collections. I really hadn't planned on buying a rug while I was in Turkey, but I like textiles of all kinds and decided to take a look. Rug stores can be overwhelming given there are stacks of rugs, patterns, and colors to look at and I hesitated asking them to show me some rugs as I thought I wouldn't be buying any. However, as it turns out, after asking a couple of questions, I decided to take a look. I didn't feel pressured to buy and their knowledge of the rugs, history, dyes, designs helped me make a decision to make a purchase. It was a comfortable experience and I came back home so happy that I happened to at the right place at the right time.

Visited September 2013
I am so happy that you were in the 'right place at the right time' and that we were able to help you find something beautiful for your home ! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort of writing a review . Its very much appreciated .!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The PERFECT experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went along with friends who were shopping for a nice rug in Istanbul, and it was a posh experience, but what PRESSURE! We were waiting on our own purchase, as Ruth and Faruk were HIGHLY recommended, and we were soon traveling to Goreme. Not only was it worth the wait, we discovered the information given by the 'high-end' Istanbul merchant (who shall remain unmentioned) was incredibly wrong, and misleading. He basically made up information & stories just to suit the moment, in order to sell! At Tribal Collections, we were encouraged to ask questions, view as many types & styles of rugs as needed, and even set a few aside so we could consider them, and returned the next day, to look at a few different styles once Ruth had determined our tastes! We found the experience of sitting and communicating with Ruth (and the VAST amount of real knowledge she holds) not only enlightening, but relaxing, fair and a true pleasure. It was as though we were amongst friends, because, well - we WERE! We ended up buying 2 pieces (because they ARE pieces of Art), and the process was simple. The fact that the carpets arrived at our home in the states before we did was an added plus. We HIGHLY recommend the knowledgable, warm, & inviting staff at Tribal Collections to everyone, and are anxious to return - please tell Ruth & Faruk that Yon & Alex from Santa Fe send their love!

Visited July 2013
What a wonderful review ! Thank you so much for all your great comments and we are glad we were able to make the experience such a good one for you !Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor !