“Quality carpets, quality service, genuine people”

Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles
Ranked #3 of 24 Shopping in Goreme
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ruth Lockwood is the owner of Tribal Collections - a beautiful rug gallery in a restored cave house, in the village of Goreme, Cappadocia. Originally from NZ, and now with 30yrs of expertise in Turkey, her gallery has an established reputation for integrity and quality and is a leading choice for those looking to learn, or to acquire, a beautiful hand-woven rug, flat-woven kilim or tribal weaving. Ruth can help you navigate the stunning styles, intricate designs and rich color palettes to find the rug thats just 'right' for you and expresses your individuality. She buys at source and chooses each of her rugs personally so you can be assured of their quality & authenticity. You are welcome to spend time with her, browse and enjoy, or learn more about motifs, dyes and traditions that make every carpet unique.She has a wide-open door policy and fixed prices: making it easy for you to compare and importantly you know you are with a trusted professional who is passionate about rugs!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was traveling in the region with my wife and stepped into the shop out of curiosity and ended up being truly amazed at the beautiful collection of carpets and at the wealth of information. We had a great chat with both Ruth and Faruk and bonded immediately through conversation. There was never any pressure to buy, and the passion they both had in sharing knowledge about the traditions of carpet making helped us appreciate the art in greater depth and detail. My wife and I made the decision to purchase carpets here (we each chose one) after seeing other places, and I must say that uniqueness, quality and the attention to the carpet's historical narrative provides tremendous depth and value. I absolutely love the carpet I chose and am very happy that I came here for a visit!

rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you both so much for such a wonderful review . It was great meeting you and I really enjoyed our time together . Thanks also for recommending our shop to the lovely mother and son. They also came in and bought a couple of gorgeous pieces and it was all thanks to your very kind recommendation . Hope your beautiful pieces are looking wonderful at home !

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"beautiful carpets"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Based on rave reviews on Tripadvisor, my husband and I visited Tribal Collections. We had only 45 minutes before we had to leave Goreme, but that proved enough time to not only purchase a beautiful carpet, but to become educated by Ruth about different types of carpets, quality, history, etc... There is no pressure to purchase, unlike most Turkish carpet stores. Also, no negotiating. We feel very positive about the experience and would recommend this store to anyone interested in purchasing a Turkish carpet.

rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you so much ! I loved this review and appreciate you taking the time to write it . Even though it was only 45 mins I remeber you and your husband well and am delighted you are happy with your carpet !

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I love my carpet! My friend and I spent a few hours with Ruth and were not pressured at all to buy. I highly recommend this shop to anyone. I showed my carpet to a guest at my hotel who owns high-end carpets, and he told me identical information and confirmed that I bought a quality carpet. I will visit again should I return to Goreme (and I hope I will).

rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review . I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in Goreme .
Kind Regards ,
Ruth

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I have been traveling around the world for a year now and our tight budget precludes us from purchasing many of the art pieces we've seen along the way. However, I had the chance to visit Ruth's shop over three years ago (when I had even less money to spend) and I knew that this time we couldn't leave empty-handed! Ruth patiently accommodated us and waves of our friends whom we kept bringing in to the shop over several days, and we were always greeted with a smile and tea. Her explanations of the pieces we were considering, along with their history and technique were a joy to listen to and we never felt talked down to despite our complete ignorance on the topic. She also provided gentle guidance in terms of which piece would be the better investment, but in the end she stands by her motto that you have to buy what you love and that a smaller quality piece is better than a larger inferior one. We ended up going with an opened donkey bag (we preferred the kilims over the more traditional) and can't wait to be reunited with it again once our trip is over, Even though we don't yet have a home to put it in, we'll be reminded every day of our time with Ruth and what we learned. We look forward to returning to Goreme in the future, hopefully with a bit more expendable income to invest in the Tribal Collections simply astounding inventory. Can't recommend enough!

I loved this review and really appreciate your comments . Thank you so mu7ch for taking the time to share this and support us
Warm Regards ,