“Still in love with my carpet!”

Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles
Ranked #2 of 18 Shopping in Goreme
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ruth Lockwood is a well-respected oriental carpet dealer and the owner of Tribal Collections - a beautiful oriental carpet gallery with a long-established reputation for both integrity and quality. Originally from New Zealand, Ruth was one of the first women and foreign oriental carpet dealers in Turkey,and now with nearly 3 decades of expertise her gallery is a leading choice for those looking to learn, or to acquire, a beautiful hand-woven rug, flat-woven kilim or symbolic tribal weaving. Ruth can help you navigate the myriad of stunning styles, intricate designs and rich colour palettes to find the unique rug that best expresses your individual asthetic. She lectures, researches, provides expert carpet educationals and is known as a honest professional voice in the sometimes bewildering world of oriental carpets. Tribal Collections has recently relocated to a new space in a traditionally-restored cave house, in the fascinating village of Goreme, Cappadocia - the heart of traditional Turkish weaving.Ruth purchases at source ensuring that her rugs reflect the unique history and traditions, art and expression of the individual weavers.Her passion for oriental carpets and textiles means that every carpet purchased by you at Tribal Collections will be a symbol of lasting value and enduring beauty. I know what it feels like to be a tourist traveling through the sometimes-bewildering world of Turkish carpet shops,with their bewildering array of designs, sizes and prices, so I love to share my knowledge and help all my clients find that special carpet that is 'just right' for them and their budget.You are welcome to spend time with me at my gallery, to browse and enjoy, or to learn more about the techniques, motifs, dyes and traditions that make each carpet and kilim a unique and individual work of art. To make you feel more comfortable I have a wide-open door policy and fixed prices: making it easy for you to compare, contrast and discover I look forward to you visiting me at Tribal Collections !
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Still in love with my carpet!”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

In early November, while on an excellent Intrepid 'Best of Turkey' tour, we stayed in Goreme and visited the Tribal Collections shop to learn about rug-making in Turkey. We had seen a few carpets in Istanbul and were put off by the high pressure sell but we were in the market for a carpet.
Ruth was very welcoming and, of course, very knowledgable, and knew just what to show me when I described what I liked. I fell in love with 3 or 4 lovely raspberry Usak carpets but felt under no pressure to buy. Being able to learn about the where, how and who made of the carpets in a relaxed environment was a great relief. Once we decided, our carpet was quickly folded into a bag weighing only 16kg and delivered to our hotel. And part of our checked luggage 3 days later as we flew back to Sydney. No pressure but very efficient service, apple tea included.

Visited November 2012
rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you so much for such a good review . we really appreciate your comments and am delighted that you still love your carpet !

Los Alamos, NM
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Excellent information and advice”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had met one of the owners, Ruth, at a dinner party in Ortahisar. I was so impressed with her as a person, honest, forthright, and engaging about her interests in rugs and weaving. So I went to Tribal Collections a couple of times. She spent at least an hour and a half showing me just about every rug within my price range, letting me look and ask questions, as much as I wanted, and she told me how they were made, where they came from, some history on them, etc. I ended up buying two which she arranged to ship for me, and even included other things I'd purchased (elsewhere) in the box! I have friends who bought rugs at other places in Goreme, of similar type and quality, they paid more than twice as much, and were pressured into buying. That never happened at Tribal Collections.

Visited November 2012
Hi sherry ,
Was so sweet of you to write such a lovely review for us. We really appreciate it and am so delighted that you love your purchases . It was a real pleasure meeting you and I do hope that if you are ever back this way you know we would love to see you !
Wombelano, Victoria, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An enjoyable experience at "Tribal Collections" in Goreme”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

"Tribal Collections" had been recommended to us as THE place to buy rugs and carpets in Turkey. We were not disappointed. Ruth spent over an hour with us, educating us about rugs and trying to find out what type of rug we really wanted. She showed us many pieces that were absolutely gorgeous, and we eventually reduced the choices down to two rugs. There was no pressure, which was such a relief after visiting rug shops elsewhere in Turkey where we were hassled and bullied. Ruth was quite happy for us to leave the shop with no rug in hand. We "slept on it" and went back the next morning to tell her our decision, which was to purchase one of those two that we had liked the best. The whole transaction was smooth and pleasant, and we are delighted with our rug, which is to be hung on the wall. Everyone to whom we have shown the rug has been full of admiration for its design and warm colours. It is a beautiful piece of art that will remind us of our wonderful two weeks in Turkey for many years to come. Many thanks to Ruth for being so happy to share her extensive knowledge and also to her hard working assistants for being so helpful and pleasant. I would highly recommend "Tribal Collections" to anyone who wants to purchase a rug in Turkey

Visited October 2012
rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Wow! thank you so much for such a wonderful review . When I read it this morning I was thrilled . Delighted that you are so happy with your rug and with your experience with us .Again many thanks !
Austin, Minnesota
“Make Time to Visit Tribal Collections”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Our visit to Tribal Collections was a highlight of our trip to Turkey. The insanely knowledgeable staff took the time to walk us through the collection and satisfied our genuine interest in learning about the rugs and textiles. We enjoyed the process of choosing our rug very much, great hospitality. We are very pleased with our purchase and look forward to returning to Goreme and making a stop at Tribal Collections. Thank you Ruth and Faruk. Cheers! Kirsten & Virginia

Visited October 2012
Dear Kirsten and Virginia,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I so enjoyed the time we spent looking for a special piece and am really delighted that you are happy with your gorgeous purchase. Know that anytime you are back in Turkey we would love to see you !
“found what i looked for”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The shop is a wonderful place to look,discover,and to get good information about what you are looking for.
Ruth has been very helpful in understanding what i was looking for in a rug.
And Faruk was helpful too in processing the payment through AE.
Definetely a place for collectors and first time buyers.
And when in Goreme it is a must.

Visited September 2012
thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review- your comments are always appreciated and I hope that your beautiful purchase will always be a great reminder of your time in Turkey !