“Delicious”

Topdeck Cave Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 111 Restaurants in Goreme
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Topdeck Cave is a family-run restaurant, situated in the family house on the ground floor in a cave which used to be a stable. The owner Mustafa prepares and serves the food himself, making you feel as part of his family. Simple menu changes daily, offering a wide variety of local appetizers (meze), a choice of one/two soups and four main courses. All ingredients are fresh, coming from local farmers. The open kitchen offers an opportunity to watch how food is being prepared.Open daily Monday to Sunday from 6.00PM to 12.00PM
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The place is nice and cozy, the price relatively low, the food excellent, the staff (familly) very nice. Could we ask for more?

1  Thank Helpyouchoose
Write a ReviewReviews (1,941)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a family run restaurant with no set menu. Whatever comes out of the kitchen is served for the day (they always have chicken, lamb, beef and vegetarian options - just may be cooked differently every day). The ambiance is very unique to this part of Turkey. We really enjoyed all the dishes we tried. If you are up for it, order dessert - local options. Service was super. The owner came to our table many times, checked up on us. He recommended a great local wine (turasan - sp?). It was a very special evening - truly delicious food, a wonderful experience! If you are looking for a fun, authentic spot, you'd love this place. Make sure to call to make a reservation - it is a small restaurant.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by people in our hotel and went with mixed feelings. We had the best meal, it was so good we immediately tried to get a booking for the next night. We were unable to and set about convincing the owner to serve us some takeaway. He was adamant that they didn't do takeaway but persistence saw us win in the end. The next night we returned for our takeaway and they all laughed as they didn't think we would come back. Cluck illy some people on our tour that day had 2 spare chairs and invited us to join them. So we had our takeaway inside. They are awesome people who cook the best food.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

My buddy and I were in Cappadocia four four days and ate at several restaurants and this was easily our favorite. The place is truly family run, the manager's daughter was waiting tables and his family was in the kitchen cooking.

The seating area is a mix of chairs with tables and couch cushions with smaller tables so you can have either dining experience. The cave is beautifully atmospheric and the playlist is the owner's personal selection of Turkish Folk Acoustic music and is so long it never repeats. The menu is simple, and vague, but the staff (family) will come over and "chat" with you about the menu and help you order. The family is multilingual sporting Turkish, English, French, German, and a little Japanese from what I saw while there, so they got much of their expected clientele covered in terms of linguistic needs I suspect.

The mezze platter is about what everyone here says. It's delicious and varied. I wouldn't say that it was the best I've ever had of that sort of thing, but it was certainly amazing and a great value.

The mains were what I found to be delicious. The vegetable dish, which my friend got, was a wonderful medley of peppers, onions, cucumbers, eggplant, cumin, salt, black pepper, and other spices stir-fried with a delicious rice and was easily on of the best vegetarian dishes I've had (although I'm not a vegetarian so my taste for those things is rather simple). The beef dish was several meatballs stewed in a spicy tomato based sauce and melted in your mouth. Both were easily the best dishes I've had in Turkey over the past eight days.

For desert we had the Balaclava which must be had with the ice cream. On its own the Balaclava, while delicious, is a bit overpowering. But mixed with their home-made ice cream it was absolutely delicious (2 parts ice cream, 1 part balaclava).

Everybody in the small (make reservations) restaurant seemed happy.

The owner comes around and talks with everybody and he has nice stories and is a wonderful conversationalist. It really does feel family run and was one of the better experiences I've had in Turkey and in Cappadocia (better than a Balloon ride and cheaper too).

2  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Had a wonderful dinner here. Food was so tasty. I enjoyed everything we ordered. The food was fresh and flavourful. Menu is limited but order whatever you want, it's all really good.