“Very special dinner”

Topdeck Cave Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 118 Restaurants in Goreme
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Topdeck Cave is a family-run restaurant, situated in the family house on the ground floor in a cave which used to be a stable. The owner Mustafa prepares and serves the food himself, making you feel as part of his family. Simple menu changes daily, offering a wide variety of local appetizers (meze), a choice of one/two soups and four main courses. All ingredients are fresh, coming from local farmers. The open kitchen offers an opportunity to watch how food is being prepared.Open daily Monday to Sunday from 6.00PM to 12.00PM
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Wonderful family run cave restaurant with great atmosphere and superb food. We were sat at a floor table which was very romantic. The staff is quite welcoming, talkative and friendly. Part of the delightful experience is speaking with the family. Eat whatever they recommend. The meat dish of the evening was meatballs with rice, potatoes and carrots in a yummy slightly spicy red sauce. This was one of the best meals we had in turkey with really great character. Several tables near us were on their second visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,020)

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

it's not located near otogar and it took us some time to search for it. but it's really worth trying. The owner, chef and staff are all very nice. bread, soup and the main dish are all perfect. Atmosphere is also suitable for dining with friends, lover and family. dont miss this place when visiting cappadocia!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I'm a very literal person so I don't use words like 'best' and 'favourite' often. But I can say with absolute certainty that since being in Turkey and visiting Istanbul, Goreme, Antalya and Kas, there has been no other restaurant or food as good as Topdeck. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor before going so I had some expectations on what my experience would be like. Well, it surpassed my expectations. This family-run restaurant has the dad in the kitchen making amazing, still-can't-stop-talking-about-it food, and the lovely and friendly mum and daughters waiting at the tables. We had the medium meze - (once again I'm going to use this word) BEST meze I've ever tasted and better than what I could have imagined. Followed by the daily special main. We read to go with whatever was recommended on the day but when we heard it was lamb chops, we were a bit hesitant. Glad we did - who knew lamb chops could be so uniquely delicious!? So tender we could cut it with a spoon - literally. There were 2 of us and we found one meze and one main was enough - and what we appreciated was that instead of the waitress pushing us to order more, she was the one who actually suggested only ordering the 2 for now, and more later if needed (wish I could if I wasn't limited by the size of my stomach).
TIPS: They're closed on Tuesdays, DO book in advance as they're very popular, they're only open for dinner, it's a bit hidden away - try to follow signs to ShoeString hostel.

2  Thank Loraine_Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Top Deck Cave Restaurant is a place that is worth reserving in advance... not only is it worth it, but it is essential, as you will in all likelihood find all of the tables full upon arrival. The place definitely lives up to its fine reputation, and has a very warm ambience, thanks to the cave setting, the warm lighting, and the very friendly family-run atmosphere.

Large trays of freshly prepared mezze are presented at the table, and you can select a few specific options, of go for a mixed mezze platter (I recommend this), which provides small portions of the whole spectrum. We started with the obligatory lentil soup, and a nice bottle of Cappadocian red wine. We followed this with two medium mezze platters, which were delicious and very filling (and a great vegetarian option). The friendly waiters a.k.a. the owner's daughters offered very fine service as well, and were very knowledgeable about the dishes and wines.

The restaurant is also off a nice quiet street in Göreme, adding to the feel of the place. If you go to Göreme, it is a must-stop restaurant, and be sure to book at least a day in advance (if not a few days).

1  Thank AdviceTripper
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Went here a few weeks ago for dinner. They were full but made space for us anyway (make reservations ahead of time if possible!). Absolutely loved it, the food was amazing, the family incredibly friendly and the space was very cool and comfortable. Definitely a must-do!