“Wonderful Place to Stay”
Review of Elysee Cave House

Elysee Cave House
Ranked #2 of 74 Goreme B&B and Inns
Rome, Italy
“Wonderful Place to Stay”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in a standard four person room at Elysee Pansion. The room was extremely spacious and comfortable, (even had a random extra bed). Also, heating in the room and hot water pressure was excellent and the bathroom was huge! The room was nicely partitioned into 2 single beds in the front and a king bed in the back so that everyone had some privacy. The upstairs common use room was also extremely comfy, with free flow tea and coffee and a fireplace.

Deniz, the manager was extremely helpful, giving us information about the regions, providing directions and helping us make bookings for tours, shuttles etc. Even when we checked out he made sure we were still comfortable by letting us use an unoccupied room to keep our luggages and take a shower before our flight.

Also, the location of the hotel is excellent, close to the city center and all attractions.

Overall, an excellent stay and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to go to Cappadocia!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
alberta
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Very pleasant experience staying here with our Intrepid guide and group. Rooms were ready when we arrived, Denis was very accomodating, our door lock was broken on check in but he fixed it right away while we all went out. Denis was very helpful with information and whenever we went into the dining area with bottle of wine or just to hang out, he always lit a fire for us, so appreciated. Would definately reccomend this Pension.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking town have better view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Perfect location, warm welcoming, beautiful terrasse where breakfast is served, comfortable rooms, and best hairdryer i have ever used in an hotel. Fantastic bathroom with big shower, very good stay !

• Stayed November 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had a wonderful few days in Goreme. Deniz was a very accommodating manager, nothing being too much trouble (even the rude attitude of other guests). The hotel provided a lovely outdoor area, which was a great space for our young boys to play (and Deniz, when he had time to join them), and was an easy walking distance to the main tourist strip of the town for shopping and restaurants. The breakfast was a great start to the day, located on the terrace roof top - worth getting up early to see all the balloons over the valley. Overall, one of the highlights of our trip to Turkey.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Allentown, New Jersey
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed here for two nights as part of a tour. The place has character and is visually appealing. The location is a little out of the way from central Goreme where all the shops and restaurants are located. The breakfast buffet was similar to what I had in other hotels in Turkey, although the top floor location of the breakfast room provides some great scenic views. I couldn't get a read on the manager - an odd fellow. He either has a weird sense of humor or is very rude. At breakfast one morning, after I got up from my table to speak to some other people on my tour, he approached me and asked if I was done. I said yes, and he said, "don't come back for more later." This may have been a joke but it didn't seem so at the time.

My room (Goreme) was unlike all of the other rooms I could find at the hotel -- it didn't have a full-size window as the room was built in to the side of the hill. There was a small window in the door but it didn't provide much natural light in the room. At night, once I turned off the light, it was pitch-black in the room. There was no bed-side light switch so I had to feel around in the dark to make my way to the bed. The room, itself, was comfortable and cozy and actually quite nice with it's carved ceiling. There was no tv in my room, unlike some of the other rooms - why not have tvs in all of the rooms? The bathroom was clean (with some minor exceptions) but not quiet - you could hear neighboring guests' conversations through the walls. Additionally, the rooms in the front of the building are noisy. Any conversations held in the reception or garden areas echo off the walls and easily can be heard in the rooms. If you need quiet, ask for a room on the second floor in the back of the building - they have better morning views anyway.

Overall, I wasn't unhappy with this hotel but I'm sure there are better options if you're going to stay in Goreme.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the building so you don't hear the noise from the reception area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Elyseegoreme, Owner at Elysee Cave House, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I am very glad that you liked our hotel in general but I'm quite surprised about the comments you made about the room.

<My room (Goreme) was unlike all of the other rooms I could find at the hotel -- it didn't have a full-size window as the room was built in to the side of the hill. There was a small window in the door but it didn't provide much natural light in the room.> 'Göreme' (in our hotel rooms have names, not numbers) is one of the cave rooms we have and this is exactly what most people come here to do - to stay in a real cave. Caves are inside rocks and they don't have windows, this is part of their charm.

<There was no tv in my room, unlike some of the other rooms - why not have tvs in all of the rooms?> There are two different categories of rooms in our hotel, budget rooms (which have all the necessary amenities but nothing extra like a tv) for cost-conscious travellers and standard rooms, which are more spacious and also have a tv. As the travel agency you booked with only reserves budget rooms, then you also stayed in one. Most people who come to Cappadocia don't want a tv in their rooms and are happy to pay less for that.

< Additionally, the rooms in the front of the building are noisy.> I have to agree with that but unfortunately, this is true for most hotels in Göreme. We do ask our guests to try to keep their voices down, especially early in the morning and late at night but they often forget it. The biggest problems are with groups who often seem to think they are the only ones staying at the hotel, and if they are not sleeping, then nobody else does.

As for our manager, he does like making jokes and unfortunately, not all foreigners understand Turkish humour. I do apologize for that if he seemed offensive, he certainly dıdn't mean that.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We've stayed the hotel for 3 nights. The hotel manager Deniz was very friendly and Monica was very helpful. They helped us on hot air ballon ride and local tour trip. It ghastly been very pleasant stay at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed as part of an Intrepid tour during which I unfortunately broke my leg. Nothing was too much trouble for Dennis and staff during my stay including transport to join my group for dinner, faxing countless documents to my insurance and airline companies.the staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and this was an experience of being very much at home. I was very thankful for the delightful courtyard outside my room where I was able to have breakfast in beautiful surroundings even if I was unable to get to the rooftop terrace.
I can't thank Dennis enough for his hospitality and willingness to make my stay as comfortable as possible under the circumstances and recommend Elysee Pension highly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends