“Big, Nice, New(ish), and Friendly”
Review of Dervish Cave House

Dervish Cave House
Ranked #36 of 77 Hotels in Goreme
Austin, Texas
“Big, Nice, New(ish), and Friendly”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Everything about this hotel was good to great. The courtyard with the great view, the cave rooms which were in fact very nice and modern, and the owners were fantastic. I mentioned it was my son's birthday - they got him a cake. I mentioned a restaurant I had read about - they directed me to a better one. The included made to order breakfast and buffet were great, plus it's an easy walk into town, close to a convenience store. The Dervish provided a great experience all around, and I really wanted to stay a few more days!

Room Tip: The expansion rooms across the street are way way nice and big!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Best family hotel I have been so far. Very helpful staff and great advisers. We stayed in a deluxe family room and was great, spacious, very clean and neat. We arrived earlier morning travelling from Istanbul by car and they prepared us a really nice breakfast. During our staying anything we wanted and requested has been promptly attended. We left hotel early morning and asked for lunch pack which they provided us without any extra charge. I can´t describe how good, helpful and incredible those people are.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We had a wonderful stay there. A lovely room, extraordinarily helpful staff and a fine breakfast. The managers Ibo and Cemal (pronounced Jamal) go the extra distance to make your stay fantastic — they were born there and know every detail of the area.

• Stayed March 2013
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I visit Cappadocia many times and I like to stay in different hotels when I get there.So I stayed at Dervish Cave House Hotel on 29 March.It was the best cave hotel I have ever seen.I liked the room ,it was large and well-heating system and fantastic,you can use the wi-fi in your room as well.The service was excellent,I like the breakfast menu ıt was rich and delicious.I ask them what can I do and İbrahim informed me about their activities and tours I did just green tour and I was impressed all the places which we visited in the green tour,it was great.They are really helpful and they do the best for you to make you happy. It is close to the city center and there are lots of restaurants when you get down you can try the traditional foods.
So,if you are looking for a hotel you should go Dervish House and I m sure you will like it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed 2 nights and really like the room and location of the hotel. Good breakfast with lots of options for hot food. The staff were knowledgable, warm and helpful. They knew the sites and were to eat good local food. 2 of the cousins who mange the hotel also flew the balloons and it was reassuring to climb into the ballon of the man who we saw that morning at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stevecann
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed with three other friends at this hotel for four nights and had a great time. The hotel picked us up from the airport for 25TL per person each way (great price compared to what some taxis charge in Istanbul) and also gave us a discount for booking our hot air balloon and a day tour with them. The rooms we stayed in were brand new and the bathroom suite had a hot tub and very modern fixtures--the owner told us they were only 3 months old (but they are still cave rooms--looked like they were either carved into a hillside or plastered to look like caves--pretty convincing to me!) We also got free Turkish breakfast every morning with eggs cooked to order. The room also had a small flat screen TV with cable and some English channels.

The only minor words of caution I have for staying at this hotel (and I'm not sure if this is true of all cave hotels) is that when we went it was a bit chilly outdoors and even though the room felt warm, it smelled a bit musty, like a basement. I was told that this is not the case during the warmer months, so that may be irrelevant. Also--I would not recommend eating at the restaurant down the street. The hotel owner had recommended it initially but apologized when we told them we had had a bad experience with the service waiting until three of us had finished eating to tell our fourth friend her order was out of order. (We also found better restaurants on the main street, which are very walkable from the hotel later during our stay).

I would highly recommend both the balloon ride and the tour (we took the green tour, which takes you to see the harder-to-get-to and geographically spread out attractions) through the hotel--I think the both the ride and tour weren't the cheapest if we wanted to do a lot of digging, but it was way cheaper than anything I found online before the trip and was definitely worth the money. The hotel owner was not too pushy--which I appreciated--when trying to sell us these services, so I didn't feel pressured to buy through the hotel (it was just convenient and seemed reasonably priced compared to forums I read online).

Room Tip: My friends and I traveled as two couples and the suite we stayed in had a door separating the "...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Goreme
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Booked accommodation at Dervish Cave House, recommended by friends. Made booking telephonically and spoke to the manager Ibo. Excellent, efficient service and an unforgettable experience!

Warm welcome on arrival and was upgraded to a cave suite. Very spacious and tastefully furnished. Like home away from home!

Centrally located in the centre of Goreme. Ibo and his team went out of their way to make it an unforgettable weekend! I can highly recommend Dervish Cave House!!!

Room Tip: All cave rooms are great and special! Stayed in suite 21!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo