“very disappointing experience”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“very disappointing experience”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We went to the Orient based on Lonely Planet reviews, but what a disappointment! The fact that there were only 2 couples in the restaurant should have warned us . The food was tough, dry, overcoooked and my rice had some strange impenetrable lump in it, quite inedible. When I pointed this out to the waiter, he returned a little later with a fruit plate "on the house" Sadly the fruit was well past it too - couldn't even get that right. A very poor meal resulting in our 1st case of indigestion in Turkey.

Visited June 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
“No doubt - GO THERE!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Cappadoccia is a unique and enchanting place. Don't miss the chance of tasting the local cousine, the true food of Anatolia. Probably you are tired after a full day of baloon flying, trekking and exploration - but don't miss this. Orient Restaurant is simply LOVELY - inside or outside (if weather permits since at night it can be chilly). A great friend of mine (Faruk from Gallerie Faruk) took me there and me and my wife were marveled! Most of the vegetables are grown by the restaurant itself so the salads are a must. Everything from the mezes and cheese to the main dishes was unforgetable and service is friendly to the extreme. No doubt to go with the testi (terra cota clay pot stew) or the meet on the grill served on the table with different sauces. try the Turkish red wines, I personally found some interesting ones. A little priced but for me who have travelled to Turkey many times - me and my wife loved it! (I read about Greek food reviews, forget that! You are in Turkey, Anatolia - eat TURKISH food)

• Visited October 2011
“Great sit down restaurant”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place was a more formal restaurant. There were lots of variety on the menu. The food was okay. I ordered a table d'hote menu on the menu. We were able to choose an appetizer, main course and dessert. Unfortunately, I ordered moussaka and the food was very greasy. You are probably better off to order Turkish food.

Visited March 2012
Pearl Beach, Australia
“Hideous experience”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Sitting in our Goreme hotel room this evening we checked out Tripadvisor for a restaurant recommendation for this evening. We enjoyed a home cooked style meal at Top Deck last night but tonight we thought we would try the Orient Restaurant. A Bad Move! We arrived to three waiters hovering around the entrance and were escorted to a table for two, After we read the old, wrinkled menu with a very strange mix of menu ideas, we settled on a Turkish style starter and a Greek style starter together with two glasses of white wine. A complimentary appetiser of roasted tomatoes and olives in oil with fresh toasted bread was brought to the table. This tasted good. We enjoyed the appetiser with our wine until the starters arrived. The macaroni was bizarrely horrible. There are not many meals that my friend cannot eat but this was one of them. It was bitter, chewy and lacked taste. My starter of moussaka consisted of a pile of minced meat with a slice of cheese on top. It was accompanied by rice and salad. While somewhat edible, this meal still did not resemble any meal of moussaka that I have enjoyed in my 50 years of eating in restaurants. When the waiter cleared away our still full plates, we just shrugged and agreed with him when he said "no good?". During the time we waited for our bill we were presented with complimentary fruit salad, two more glasses of wine and some free postcards. A nervous chef/owner perhaps? I felt that I had to write this review tonight while it was fresh in my memory. I would hate anyone else to pay good money for a terrible meal at this restaurant again.

• Visited June 2012
Dubai
“Turkish Food to Italian Music”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

After suffering from various restaurants in Goreme that were infested with dogs (we are allergic to dogs), our hotelier recommended Orient as a place with excellent food and less dogs. He was right! The Turkish food was excellent and the service good. The seating was ok, as the restaurant was a bit old. Salads were fresh and tasty. During our visit in June 2012 there seemed to be an endless supply of Italian music playing though, which was a bit puzzling! Overall, the restaurant was very good.

• Visited June 2012