“Good location”
Review of Grand Anzac Hotel

Grand Anzac Hotel
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Canakkale
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Good location in the centre of town. Helpful reception staff who were knowledgeable about the local area , transport links etc. Basic but clean bedrooms.Breakfast buffet varied and which seemed to be constantly monitored by staff in order to replenish the dishes offered during the time we spent in the restaurant area. I would stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed here near the waterfront that featured hundreds of people strolling the esplanade. Very beautiful city. Hotel is good with all features. To sleep past 5:15 a.m. bring some earplugs or the call to prayer will waken you. Everything worked and we enjoyed our stay. Breakfast is good--servers very pleasant. It's a crowded area down here but it's a good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

It's a brand new hotel that was empty and the service was good.
The breakfast also good. Rooms a bit small but with balcony.
The great attraction of the hotel is the location. Excellent.
Be sure to eat at places around. The turkish sweet-shop are very tasty.
Very well decorated.
I recommend

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The staff went far above and beyond for us in a time when we needed assistance. Throughout our stay they were pleasant and professional. The concern is the noise level in the room. We were given a choice of a room on the road side of the hotel or at the back. We took the back not knowing a night club was close by and the music went until 1:30 a.m. Perhaps there is another choice of room which would be better but to us it is important to have a window for air and air movement during the season that hotels shut off the AC.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
yusufkayaalp, Manager at Grand Anzac Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind interest in Grand Anzc Hotel. We are sorry sorry for your inconvincience from the outside music. There is a night club around 100 mt away from Grand Anzac Hotel. Normally none of the clubs are allowed to open their doors or windows which may cause loud noise to outside, and they should shout down the loud music not later than 01:00.

On the other hand our windows are double glazzed and sound proofed. If the window is close, the room do not receive outside noise. The a/c in the rooms are self controlled, therefore the guest can adjust it any time and any temprature, no outside control available from the hotel for A/C.

Hope to welcome you again in our Anzac Hotels
Kindest regards

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Grand Anzac hotel is a beautiful and lovely place in the heart of Çanakkale. The rooms are perfect, stylish and modern and just an ideal place to relax after visiting the nearby attractions. Certainly the rooms are exceptional tidy, staff is extremely helpful and helps you providing a perfect stay. Breakfast also is very good offering continental breakfast as well as typical turkish dishes. In summary Grand Anzac Hotel is THE place to spend your stay in Çanakkale and to feel true turkish hospitality!
Norbert Wagner
Grosskrotzenburg, Germany

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Our first experience of accommodation in Turkey (December 2012) and it was fantastic. Just a short (and I mean short) but picturesque walk to the hotel from the ferry. You can see the sign from the ferry which was most helpful as we arrived in the dark. We first went into the Anzac Hotel only to be told we are staying at the Grand Anzac, which was around the corner. They carried our bags for us all the way. The reception was so welcoming, something we experienced throughout Turkey. We stayed on the third floor. The room was warm and clean. The hot shower was much appreciated after travelling 36 hours! The wireless internet connection was awesome as we could Skype our children often. The hotel organised our trip to Troy. They even gave us a briefy introduction to Turkish so that we could learn a few phrases with the locals. The hotel has an EXCELLENT location! Everything is close by on foot. The hotel also helped us book bus tickets for our journey on to Selcuk. The bus offices are within walking distance of the hotel and we were able to walk with all our luggage. Highly recommended! The Grand Anzac is around the corner from the Anzac which is on a main road so I think the Grand is a little quieter which is what we were looking for! Thank you Grand Anzac you made an impression on us and we will reccommend you to all our friends!

Room Tip: Top floor then you dont have other floor guests walking passed your room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Anzac Hotel in Çanakkale, Turkey in late-2012 and was extremely pleased with the excellent customer service I received. I arrived in town without advance transportation arrangments to get back to Istanbul after my stay in Çanakkale was complete, but the staff at the front desk were very helpful. They patiently explained my best onward travel options and, once I made a decision, they guided me through the process of buying my bus ticket to Bandirma, and by phone they made the ferry reservation for me from Bandirma to Istanbul/Yenikapi. The front desk staff at the Grand Anzac were so tremendous! I really want to thank them again.

Staying at the Grand Anzac also afforded me an opportunity to experience and explore the really cool neighborhood in which the hotel is located. With the very large local university, Çanakkale is a big college town, and there are many young people all over the place. This gives Çanakkale a vibrancy and energy that I found very attractive. Here at the Grand Anzac, you are not only right in the center of the action, but you are also just a very short walk from the waterfront and from the ferry terminal.

Your tours over to the historic Gallipoli peninsula will leave from the ferry terminal area. Here again, the staff at the Grand Anzac booked all of my desired tours, and the prices were very reasonable. More importantly, I was thoroughly satisfied with the day tour they arranged of the Gallipoli battlefield areas, as well as the half-day excursion to Troy, which lies to the southwest. The tour guides were good. The tour operator picked me up at my hotel right on time both days.

Inside my Grand Anzac hotel guest room, I had everything I needed. The room was very clean, with simple, uncluttered furnishings. The bathroom was modern, and I had plenty of hot water for my showers. The bed was comfortable, and the climate control worked well. The wi-fi and the TV also worked well. Because the hotel caters to Aussie and Kiwi tourists visiting Gallipoli, there were plenty of English language TV stations.

I was assigned a room in the "annex" portion of the hotel, directly across the street from the main hotel building. That was not a problem for me, but the brief walk across the pedestrian lane separating the two buildings could be a problem for folks who either have limited mobility or who are concerned about walking across the lane at night. I was not bothered by this. If this is a concern for you, then you might pre-request a room in the main building.

The elevator in the building to which I was assigned was a little slow, but it was easy to operate. The interior hallway was a little dark on the ground floor, but there was plenty of light in the upper floor hallways while I was there.

The breakfast buffet was of good quality. Although I have seen buffets with even better selections, this one was pretty decent. I had plenty to eat each morning and was satisfied with those meals. The tables in the buffet are the long "boarding house" style tables, so you have a good opportunity to strike up a conversation with other friendly travelers passing through. I saw several high school-age Turkish student groups with adult chaperones coming through the hotel while I was there for three days. Everyone was very friendly and treated me well.

Frankly, I hated to leave Çanakkale! I would have gladly stayed in this town for several more days. Its location right at the mouth of the Dardanelle Strait, with the Aegean Sea right there, and the many ships heading upstream to Istanbul, makes this a very interesting crossroads area. This is THE place to make your base for exploring the historic Gallipoli peninsula and the WWI battlefields there. The Grand Anzac also has two sister hotels in Çanakkale. The Anzac is right around the corner, as are plenty of bars and restaurants. I really had an enjoyable stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo