“loved every bit of it”

Ranked #10 of 92 Kusadasi B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“loved every bit of it”
Reviewed September 17, 2010

We stayed at the Anzac Golden Bed for one glorious week. Lovely Sandra runs the place almost on her own, but still finds time for long chats. She arranged transport from Izmir airport for us, into the old part of town with its winding streets that get narrower and narrower. We arrived around dusk and after check-in (no fuss), we went straight up to the big rooftop terrace. Because the Anzac is up a hill (no need to go to the gym during your holiday), the view over the lights of Kusadasi and the sea was simply mesmerizing, so we didn't want to go out to find dinner. Sandra, never short of a good idea, organized dinner for us on the rooftop, where the bar fridge is stocked with cold beverages. We plonked ourselves many other (mid)nights on the day bed on the terrace or made other configurations with the furniture. And in the mornings we had long sessions on the terrace over fresh Turkish breakfast, chatting with other guests, trying to decide what to do that day, because there is a lot to see and do in and around Kusadasi. The free wifi even on the terrace is just another bonus (btw. almost every cafe and restaurant has wifi too).

The rooftop dinner at the Anzac was just beautiful. Eating out all the time while traveling does get tedious, so to have a home cooked dinner is just a treat. Sandra is some kind of a whiz in the kitchen and somehow effort less not only made a huge spread of entrees followed by an amazing array of main courses, prawns, fish, chicken not to mention the salads and vegetables followed by desert. It was also great to hang out with the other gusts of the Anzac to exchange anecdotes and hot tips. Cooking for more than 12 people would put me in a spin, but Sandra was not showing any signs of being frazzled. The whole experience of home-cooked fresh food even included a drink for as little as 20 lira.
If you are planning to stay in your room during your stay, it is a bit smallish, the bed is good, the sheets are changed daily and hey there is always the rooftop. The aircon is powerful and incredible quiet. The tiny bathroom makes you wonder how to keep things dry, but it turned out not to be a problem, the water is super hot and everything is super clean. If you are after a huge luxurious bathroom, there are hamams near by. We went to a more modern hamam that Sandra suggested and had a great couple massage and wash down. We're addicted to hamams now.

What we've learned in Kusadasi is that to ignore the 'pesky' salespeople, like all the guidebooks suggest, is exactly the wrong approach. If you engage with them, say you just had a lovely dinner up the road or that you're on your way to meet someone, keep it light, make a little joke, they have great comebacks. The Turkish are just a lovely, welcoming, warm and humorous people. And if you want to buy say a handbag or watch or sunglasses, explain to them exactly what you're what you would like and they'll go out of their way to find it for you, even take you to another shop if they think it might be there. And if you don't find it, they are truly sorry: one of them even gave us a little present because he didn't have what we were specifically looking for. But if you go in with no idea what you're after, they'll try to sell you whatever, which in a way makes sense too: they only have a couple of summer months to make a living. Just remember: treat them like you would like to be treated yourself.

We were really glad to stay in the old part of town in a very personable place like the Anzac, not in one of the 'could be anywhere' modern resorts on the outskirts with shuttle bus into town. Yes, the Anzac is initially a bit hard to find and yes, there is the last 50 meters up the hill through broken up lane ways, but we wouldn't call it a poor area, for us it's the authentic part of town. We always felt safe. We loved strolling the narrow streets and check out local shops and see the local sights. Sandra became a friend, I went several times to the local barber, who became my new bestest friend, the local salespeople became our bestest friends too, they all gave us the feeling we were 'locals' for a week.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I have been to Turkey many times and I have enjoyed every single one of them. Yet this time my trip was made more worthwhile because I stayed at Anzac Golden Bed.
Sandra was very polite and cooperative from the first mintue I approached her via e-mail to ask for some information.
I was happy to find out that the place is indeed very very close to the port (as it is mentioned on their website) which made things so much easier for me since I had never been to Kusadasi before. The guesthouse offers to pay 5 liras for the taxi fare from the port, for those customers who do not like walking or who have to much luggage (again this is mentioned on their website) but I chose not to as I wanted to familiarise myself with the route to Anzac Golden Bed.
My room was very comfortable and clean, and I was suprised to find out that although extremely close to the city centre it was quiet and I enjoyed my sleep at night (I am a light sleeper so this is very important for me).
The staff (Sandra, Kayhan and Kadriye) are very helpful and kind and in general there is a very friendly and family-like atmosphere in this guesthouse.
There is a sign at the terrace, where we have breakfast, which informs customers of their option to have BBQ dinner at the guesthouse (20 Turkish liras including one drink) and what the BBQ dinner will consist of in case they opt not go to the city for dinner.
I chose to attend a couple of these dinners and I found them to be great value for money, wondefrul fresh fish, Turkish pilav rice, raw salad as well as cooked vegetables, special Ramadan bread and one drink of my choice). These dinners are also a great way to socialise and make new friends while enjoying the great view and the very tasteful Ottoman-style decoration of the terrace.
Sandra gave me lots of info about places I can visit and also booked a tour(after my request) for me which included Selcuk, Efesus, Virgin Mary house, a visit to a traditional carpentry house (it was a very educational experience since we were told of the different ways and materials that carpets are made of and we were shown the process of weaving, we were also encouraged to try to weave ourselves and in NO WAY were we forced to buy any carpets!!), The tour also included a very nice buffet lunch in a beautiful location. Our guide throughout the whole day of this tour spoke very good English, knew his stuff very well, was very kind and accommodating. The minibus which took us from place to place was airconditioned which was really great since it was a very hot day!
On the whole great value for money and I strongly recommend this day tour to everyone who chooses to stay at Anzac Golden Bed.
I also met some lovely and interesting people who were also staying at the guesthouse.
In short, for someone who wants a clean, friendly, modest but tasteful and affordable accommodation i give a big thumbs up to Anzac Golden Bed and I will stay there again in my next trip to Kusadasi!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Though sometimes you hear too much at this modest pension, like the owner bellowing incessantly at his brother/helper at all hours; then turning to guests sweet as pie. Lulled into a sense of security by a photo of lovely Sandra, his Australian wife (the real owner), Yusuf solicits customers off the boats (an arrangement we're told is facilitated by palm-greasing the local police). The walk is 15 minutes up hill (not 5 as he says). Though there is no contesting the famous Turkish hospitality - you can have anything you want, at any time - it does all come at a price. The game of driving customers to Selcuk to buy carpets is nothing short of manipulation. One guest had not actually agreed to go, but next morning at breakfast was told her driver had arrived to take her to Ephesus and then the carpet shop. Feeling obliged, she was driven back and forth all day and finally realised she wasn't getting out of a very uncomfortable position until she bought a carpet. The whole experience at Golden Bed may seem pleasant but there is a very creepy undercurrent. Don't let your guard down.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Sandrinaconstantina, Owner at Anzac Golden Bed Pension, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Please be advised that the writer of this review needs to revisit the hotel, as the person he is attacking in this review is my ex-husband Yusuf, who I divorced 3 years ago.
Maybe all these events took place, but this would have been many years ago. I am surprised that
the writer has only now come out and made his review., Other readers are advised to read more recent reviews where the guests have stayed over the last 3 years. For the record, my name is Sandra Galloway and I am the sole owner/proprietor of this small hotel.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Positives
It had Air Conditioning. However the Air Conditioning did not cool off properly.

Sandra was friendly and gave good advice on where to have Turkish Bath.

Her view from the roof top was fabulous.

Her location is near the market district so it is near shopping and eating.

Negatives
You have to climb a steep hill to get here. And I am saying it is a very long, rough steep hill. You could fall. If you are in both physical health or elderly it could pose a severe barrier of getting to the hotel. I felt like I was going to collapse. I am 52 and lead a sedate lifestyle. Carrying heavy luggage was like a day in hell. My luggage is heavy and I thought the gravity from the steep incline was going to pull me back down the hill.

There is a dog on premise. The dog is gentle. However the dog is there as a guard which indicates a poor area, and it is a poor and run down area.

Sandra does dinner at night on her roof top. I incorrectly assumed I would have a choice. Wrong. She had fish, salad, and cooked vegetables. I do not like fish. I told her just to serve me the vegetables. She charged me 22 Liras for vegetables. That translates into about 14 USD for vegetables and salad. I feel like she should have only charged me for what I consumed and had on my plate. So ask what the menu is because you sit down to eat you will be charged for food not on your plate.

Shower was tiny.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CecileK3
Aegeanhospitality, Owner at Anzac Golden Bed Pension, responded to this review, September 5, 2010
Dear Cecile,
I was extremely sorry to read your reviews about my B&B.
Our nightly BBQ meals is offered at 20turkish lira , including a free beer. I only charged you 20 turkish lira for the meal, whether it be vegetarian or normal serving.
İ prefer guest to make a complaint directly to me at the time and I am happy to adjust your final charges with me.
On your departure from my hotel you left a tip, which indicated to me that you were happy with your stay.
I have to apolise for the state of my neighbourhood at the present time. The local council have dug up all the roads to place underground electricity and gas. İt is very unfortunate that they chose to do this work at the hieght of the summer season. The hotel is actuıally situated in the historical part of the town and is currently undergoing massive renovations.
I am saddened to hear that you labelled it "The Poor Area", but do appreciate you being mistaken.
Once again, I am sorry and hope you can return one day , and take up the offer of a free taxi to our door on your arrival, which I re-imbursed you for on this occassion.
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed here for two nights on a multi week trip. The owner is very helpful, knowledgeable and made awesome restaurant suggestions. We loved both places she suggested and visited them more than once. The pension is very much a backpackers style stay but it does the trick and the helpful owner/host makes up for anything lacking in the accommodations. It is in a great location, 2 minute walk to the middle of town, and the price can't be beat. If you want sample easy accommodation that you won't spend much time in - except on the great rooftop - this is your place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Well it was a mission to find but once located it is no problem. It is in the heart of the market area and very close to restaurants and pretty much everything. Our room was comfortable although Sandra's dog howling in time to the calls to the faithful at 5 am was daunting. Sandra is a very caring person and provided good breakfasts of fresh bread and treats. The rooftop dining area is great as is the fridge full of beer! It was very good to have someone like Sandra that you can freely converse with. She had lots of helpful advise as to the location of bakeries and swimming areas. Do not get off the mini bus at Ladies Beach but continue on to Paradise Beach. Mini buses go past the end of the street every 10 to 15 minutes.
The markets were awesome and we met many very pleasant people in the area (some were pushy)
Sandra does not allow washing in the rooms and our only wash we had done was a disaster as the lady washed our whites with colours and turned our whites green. Was not a huge thing as mostly able to bleach items when I got home but worth noting that the washing is done in house. Don't wash valuable stuff here although there is a laundry just down the road.
All in all we had a good time at Anzac, air conditioned rooms and friendly people.. I thought it was great being located in the old part of the town.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed August 24, 2010

This is a warning for everyone who is thinking about booking this hotel. As many times before, we’ve booked it through Hostelbookers web site, for the period of July 2010, triple room ensuite, for 1 night. We have booked it as early as in February 2010, among several other properties we stayed on our 8000 km long trip by car, throughout Turkey, and we paid for the reservation in advance.
We were in contact by e-mail with the owner several times before we started our trip (about parking, etc) and everything was OK. When we managed to find our way to the hotel and arrived around 7 P.M. (which took us about 45 min by car - narrow and steep streets, very hard to find by car), we realized something strange was going on. At first, the hotel was closed (locked), so I have to knock for few minutes, when finally first the owner's daughter and then the owner came out.
She didn't ask us to come inside the hotel we paid, but was in some kind of hurry explaining that she had some problems at the hotel and she will take us at the other hotel of hers. She kept saying the other hotel was actually much better, because it had a swimming pool (which we didn't need because we had to stay there for just 1 night).
After few minutes, we arrived at the other hotel owned by friend of hers. She left us with him, saying that we should wait for a while in our car (he had customers at the reception), so he will take us to the other hotel of hers.
After 5 minutes, the guy came out and offered us to stay at his hotel (which was at Hostelbookers site, as well, by we didn't choose it). He said there was no other option for us (otherwise we would have to manage on our owns) because she actually forgot about us and our reservation and asked him to help her - she didn't own any other hotel, it was just the story for us!!
We are photographers and travel writers, and were traveling throughout Turkey with our 13 year old son. The purpose of our travel was both holidays and researching for our future travel guide on Western Turkey.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank IvaGe
My apologises to you for this review of my hotel, but please give me an opportunity to explain my side of this occassion.
Firstly, we have a security door at the reception of the hotel, which is locked at all times for the safety of all our guests staying in the hotel.
İf you can recall , I met you at the reception and explained to you that I would have to hand deliver you to my friends hotel around the corner, due to an unexpected situation. I assisted you with your car out of our narrow streets and guided you all to my friends hotel, which I might add , are highly recommended on Tripadvisor.
The reason for this transfer to another hotel was purely a situation I found myself in , that was totally out of my control. A water pipe had burst in the bathroom of the triple room that was reserved for your family for that evening.
The plumber was working on the pipes as you arrived and took several days after that to complete his work.
I want to take this opportunity to say how sorry I am for this situation and to re-assure you that I , as the Owner of this hotel did not forget your reservation and contrary to what you thought at the time, I had pre- arranged your transfer to another highly recommended hotel the morning you were due to arrive.
I do hope you reconsider your thoughts on my hotel and look forward to receiving many more guests from your part of the world , as I have alreadly been fortunate enough to meet over the last 10 years of operating my Bed and Breakfast.