“Fun in the Sun”

Vilseck, Germany
“Fun in the Sun”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Hello again,

So I took a family trip to Kusadasi, Turkey this time and stayed at the Batihan Beach Resort and Spa. I stayed there from 28 May 2013 to 4 June 2013. I will get into the details but for the price you cant beat it. well.....maybe you can...but why would you? either way.....shall we begin.....

BLUF(Bottom Line up Front): GREAT HOTEL TO STAY AT! it is not the Ritz but for Turkey it is pretty close! great family vacation.

Background:
I traveled with my wife and 4 year old son. we take vacations about once or twice a year depending on when I am able to take leave from work. we booked our vacation through www.HLX.com instead of using our timeshare through RCI.(this was the wife's idea)....which was a great idea.... love you honey! on we go.........so I paid 1244 euro for 7 nights, and round trip tickets with all inclusive from Munich to Izmir with the connection by hotel service to Kusadasi and back to Munich. note to self.........just drive to the airport instead of taking the train from you house! but that is another story for another time. so.......let us continue with the meat and potatoes of this review.

Arrival:
the connections service was a 8 out of 10. the reason for this is because when booking through HLX.com you need to ensure you know which bus/van takes you to the hotel. Thankfully the gentlemen at the Airport are freaking awesome. oh..........as an American I paid 20 dollars for my visa to Turkey....the wife and son did not have to pay since they are European citizens. on we go.........so the van ride was an hour and 20 minutes from the airport but it was okay. the kid fell asleep which was even better for me and the wife. the view while on the drive was nice and it was definitely worth the price...(All inclusive).

Check In:
So upon arrival to the hotel there was another couple who rode with us on the van. well naturally they got off before us and the service(Bell Hop) grabbed their bags and I lugged the two suitcases up the ramp on my own.....this didnt bother me though since I was just ready to get my vacation going. the lobby of Batihan is nice and I mean nice atleast for my standards.....but we can go into my standards later when I talk about the city itself. so......the receptionist was very friendly and spoke German fluently which was awesome. she spoke enlgish also but with my occupation I try to limit who knows what about me. either way she was very friendly and helpful and checked us in right away. the Bell Hop brought our bags to our room........416......and I tipped him a 5 euro bill. I dont know if that is alot but personally oh well. it is vacation right?

Room:
ok.......NOTE TO SELF!!!! get a bigger room if more than 2 people. yes I have a four year son and he needs to be around his mother but.....man...can a guy catch a break when with his wife on vacation?.......answer is....no...not unless there is another room. so if you want privacy get the bigger room. but on we go.......the room was very clean and we had a balcony looking over the hills behind the hotel. sure it was not seaview but truth be told....if you have children you do not want sea view because the animation team does not stop until 2300 at night and the bar downstairs does not close until 2400. the bathroom was clean and well....small for me. but I guess that is life in Turkey. ummmmmm. oh yes. TV........note to self.......learn German, Turkish or you better love CNN.

Animation Team:
FRIENDLY!!! dont know what else to say. there are two females who take care of the children during the day and wow! put me to shame. I know I have a rough time entertaining my son but man these girls rocked it like it was a fur coat.....sorry american saying. either way they were awesome! the shows at night were pretty good. I am not the type to go to a hotel and be forced into some participation act for which I am paying for but they did a pretty good job. the kid and wife liked it though. and well truth be told......it is all inclusive so the "TURNSOL" alcohol cocktails helped me out. which leads me to my next point.

Bar by the pool:
Ceaser.....remember this guy. awesome bartender and actually takes the time to get to know the guest. great at making a drink and if you order the same thing more than twice he doesnt need to be told again he just makes it as soon as you walk up to the bar.......or that could be because i had 7 Turnsol in the first night....cant beat all inclusive. let me just say that. but the atmosphere was nice.

Beach:
The beach was pretty clean. it is at the edge of the hotel property.....well duh. my bad that goes without saying. eitherway..... the beach was nice and great photos. we never had a problem finding lounge chairs but it was pretty crowded.

Pool:
NICE! crowded but nice to just sit and chill. of course I ended up spending most of my time at the pool since the kid didnt want to go to the beach when he could play in the pool and the animation ladies would give him food when it was time to eat. the water was cold at first but i guess that is every pool.

Dining:
I personally loved the food. I love eating rice (Mexican here) and the choices were pretty decent.....a million times better than Chow Hall food. but the food tasted great. The wife even liked most of it and she is picky. the service though was a little lacking. not too much just sometimes with the number of people eating the employees would forget to bring you something to drink. the food was self serve so that was never a problem. finding a seat was the hardest thing though. but overall good experience.

Kusadasi:
the town center was nice. the rest of the city ......well....honestly....reminded me of an upscale downtown Baghdad, Iraq. I have seen some crappy places and this was not the worst but it made me think of being back in Iraq in 2003. but good news..............

Shopping:
AWESOME! I hate shopping! so take that for what it is worth. but my wife not spending so much makes me a happy man! DO NOT....I repeat....DO NOT PAY IN EUROS!!!!! change you money into Turkish Lira and save your self a good 150 euros over the entire week of shopping. There is a bazaar not far from the hotel which has some great shopping stalls. most of the guys there are from germany or atleast lived there so they all speak German. but be careful some of them love to look at your wife. lol. but what do you expect I guess. but Turkey is a great place to shop. that did remind me of Afghanistan where you can get certain "goods" at a big discount. but you get what you pay for. so if you are looking for a real Louis Vuitton bag. you can forget it.

Trips:
GO TO SAMOS!!!!! worth the money. I paid 168 Turkish Lira(74 Euros) total for my wife, son and I. the boat ride was windy and the wife complained the whole time about being cold....I complained the whole time that I could be fishing instead of just sitting. but it worked out in the end. Samos was very very nice and felt like beverly hills compared to Kusadasi.....but those freakin CATS! the Island is famous for them.....I HATE CATS and am allergic to them! so take medicine if you are allergic to cats. but great trip non-the-less.

Ephesus was very nice. dont take a 4 year old unless you want to carry his butt up the freakin hills....trust me not fun. but the history made it worth the while.

I know I am forgetting something and I have been writing forever. so I will break it down to the simple BLUF(Bottom Line up Front) this was a great hotel to stay at and a great vacation. sure there are probably better hotels but I didnt stay there I stayed at the Batihan Beach Resort and Spa......Would I stay there again?...........HECK YES!!!! in a heart beat. got nothing but love for the hotel and the employees...one request............can we keep the pool side bar open until 1am? it would help guys like me out to drink our memories of the past away! thanks again!

In closing:
I know this was long and if you finished reading this entire review by all means please feel free to contact me at SFCQ2000@yahoo.com I have no problem answering any questions you might have....provided I can answer them. either way. I wish you all the best vacations in the future and trust me I will be reading your reviews also! have a great evening!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank SFCQ2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We came back on 1st June after spending 7 nights at the Batihan, travelling with 6 adults and 2 children aged 2 & 4. Good points: Lovely weather. Hotel spotlessly clean. Lovely grounds.
The worst points were, we found staff extremely rude, got a good morning on the first day, but after that we were totally ignored. Trying to get a highchair for the baby was a joke, think there were only about 4 highchairs in the whole building and we were only lucky enough on a couple of occasions to get one. My husband and myself are travellers we have two holidays every year and have been to most places, but I have to say this was the worse food we have ever experienced. My hubby usually eats most things where I am a little more fussy, but even he struggled to put to meal together. Breakfast consisted of eggs, eggs & pancakes or omelette, with no change the entire week. Lunch & Dinner were dishes that not one of our party ever said that was Ok, infact it got worse as the week went on and by mid-week we were eating out every night which when you have paid all inclusive defeats the object. We found the restaurant staff unhelpful to the point of even being downright rude.
Mealtimes were like a cattlemarket. .
We have been to different parts of Turkey before and have always found staff and food enjoyable. Always had someone to show you to a table and if it was busy they would find you a table - Not here, you were just left to wander around aimlessly.
Not many of the staff appeared to speak english and trying to get someone to understand you was a task in it's self, even at Reception when you asked a question because we were told nothing apart from our room number when we arrived, they kept saying"sorry don't understand" it was a nightmare trying to get someone to understand what you were trying to say.
As this was our first family holiday in a long time, we wanted it to be something special to look back on and say how good it was, and I'm afraid to say it is not somewhere where any of us would like to go back to. Staff & restaurant definately need looking into.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Me and my boyfriend went on our first holiday together to Batihan in Kusadasi and it was amazing! We stayed in the new part of the hotel and the rooms were gorgeous and clean. We had a balcony over looking the swimming pool and beach, it was incredible! Beds were made every day, although sheets could have been changed more regularly, and new towels were provided each day.
The animation team were wonderful! They were friendly and you could see everywhere that they were very helpful and chatty with the customers. They got people involved in lots and there were fun games to participate in. They are very funny and made our experience better!
The photographing team were brilliant! Especially Sonic. He was so friendly and even if we didn't want photos he would come and have a chat with us. He added to our great experience and to end it, we had a photoshoot on the beach during sunset. WOW! it was beautiful, and the photos are incredible! Thank you very much Sonic and his team!
You could choose to sun bathe on the beach, grass or by the pool. It was brilliant!
Also, there were watersports on the beach, not included obviously, but very fun! We did jet skiing for 35 euros each jet ski, and paragliding for 80 euros for two. It was worth it! On our first day we had a TURKISH BATH MASSAGE WITH FACIAL, for 50 euros each. It was lush!

Although, there were SOME Negatives: The buffet is pretty chaotic and you spend a lot of your time queing. It is ridiculously hard to find a table even for two people unless you get there first. The staff were polite, however the service was shocking. Tables were not laid, we had to get our own drinks because staff did not offer or were not around. Plates were not cleared away quick enough, although we did not find this an issue. The drinks was the main issue and breakfast food was very rubbery. There is only the buffet and one other restaurant (Sunset) included in the all inclusive which was a shame as we expected more of a variety. We ended up eating out at MURPHYS restaurant two nights and that was fantastic! HIGHLY RECOMMEND MURPHYS! free taxi there and back! friendly staff!
Another issue was that for our age group (Around 17-28) in the evenings, there was nothing to do. The animation team was good but that was mainly aimed for younger children. The cocktails were brilliant at the snack bar but apart from that there was nothing to do so we ended up going to bed quite early.
Also, for an all inclusive hotel, there isn't much included! We had to pay to use the safe each day. The mini bar was empty apart from water, you had to pay for it. The mini golf, pool table, ping pong table you had to pay for which I don't think is very good.

Although this seems very negative, our holiday at Batihan was AMAZING! We loved it! :) Just a few things to take into consideration when booking :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Batihan in the last week of May. Overall it was an average experience, but I don't think I could recommend the hotel. The room was generally clean and tidy, with a few minor cosmetic issues (holes by aircon and hairdryer). We had a nice view of the pool and beach and watched the sunset... then we were serenaded by the "birdie song" and other euro disco classics until 0030 every night! The main restaurant was so chaotic and we never found a table that was set up and ready, we always had to find cutlery and tidy the table to an acceptable limit. Some members of staff were rather short tempered and we had to see the manager over one issue, which in fairness was resolved quickly and amicably. Credit where it is due, the Spa was fantastic and the Turkish bath was well worth £50. I would say this was more a 3 star resort heavily aimed at family holidays.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are noisy at night
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
united kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My family and I have just got back from a week here (25/5/13-1/6/13)Well what a fabulous time we had. The rooms we stayed in (new block) were modern and catered for all our needs. Clean, brilliant beds have never slept so well. The staff are friendly especially in the dining room. We met Sonic who runs a team of photographers who we booked a family photo shoot with what a great bunch and fantastic pictures. The pools were lovely very clean and plenty of room for everyone. Situated on lovely grounds and so close to the beach. Loved every minute miss it so much now sat back in my office at work :-( Would definitely go back and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Macclesfield
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Myself and 3 other girls visited the Batihan for 14 nights from the 8th to the 22nd May. It was purely a girlyy holiday and to catch a tan.

We did encounter a thunderstorm whilst we were there but they are so different from back home we didnt really mind. Plus it was still pretty warm and all inclusive free bar we joined some lads from London and some drinking games. We also had some glorious day reaching 35 degrees- nothing better than lying on a sun bed reading a book.

After reading several review I was pretty worried about what i had gone and booked the girls in to- There was no need to worry. We were in the new building which was gorgeous ( Free air con, your on fridge, powerful shower, balcony- with a beautiful view). I emailed the hotel 2 weeks before we were due to fly on advice of our travel agent in order to try and get a room in the new building and we were very fortunate too.

The food it good, the BBQ down by the beach is also lovely with choices from pizza, burger nuggets and a bbq selection which is a great change from the food in the hotel. ( we always ate there for lunch if we were up) it also has a beautiful view of the sea, and they also come and take your order.
The main restaurant is very present, the tray were always refilled so you were never left with the dodgey bits at the end. The puddings no so great they look delicious but they were all pretty soggy- but hey grab some on a plate all get a spoon and have a taste!!

The waiters are also lovely and do such a GREAT JOB. A please and thankyou go a very long way.... some people can be so rude.

Animation team are awesome! and really try there best to get everyone involved- the pool side games are the best! and also a game of darts (21) cannot go a miss.

We took TL was need in some places but they also deal alot in euro- which is strange for not actually being in the EU.

We visted aqua fantasy which was a bit of disaster- there is only about 10 slides and you have to carry a dingy with you up stairs for pretty much every ride - which is a pain in the bum. I do not recommend this park but the other park with the dolphins and rafting i was told was fantastic.After and a half we wanted to leave but we unable to and either had to wait until 5pm to be picked up and got a dolmus. So we got a dolmus into the town centre.

I would recommend a trip into the town centre it is beautiful and also to the markets ( although we prepared to haggle and dont be afraid to say no. The ladies also put anklets on you but for 5 lira i couldnt resist, it was also beautiful. However they will follow you up the street.

Overall it was a wonderful trip and would definatley go back again-

P.S please try the hot chocolates from the machine they are to die for!! and also a turkish bath , massage and facial.

Room Tip: 6th floor new building sea view- email your hotel 2 weeks before and make sure they have your reques...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sophie F
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is huge with great facilities! The only dissapppoinment being its location as there's not much entertainment around the area so evening's are fairly quiet unless you love stray dogs - there's plenty around if you want to go for a walk in the evenings!
LOVED THE FOOD!! Breakfast lunch and dinner presented us with so much choice we couldn't contain ourselves! Ate more than we possibly thought we could!! In addition they had a great bbq on EVERY afternoon! Only negative point we could find was the A la carte (sunset restaurant) - only really fish on the menu and nothing on the menu for vegetarians - would be great for lovers of fish & seafood, just not to our taste!
Staff were all friendly and helpful - couldn't be faulted!
The spa facilities were AMAZING - definitely get one of the spa packages (turkish bath, face mask, hot stone massage, fish pedicure, oil massage and thalasso therapy...and the sauna!) Try haggling as we managed to blag all of this for €35 - TWICE!
Rooms were quite spacious (we stayed in the main building) although you may have to push two single beds together as they rarely have double beds!
Sea view from the main building (room 514) was amazing however we had to pay an extra £5 per night however it was well worth it as you get a great view of the whole pool area and the sea/mountains.
The pools were freezing, although this may have been due to the weather not being super warm.
Overall we had a great stay and couldn't complain at all about the hotel :-)

• Stayed May 2013