“WOULD NEVER GO AGAIN”
Review of Ephesia Hotel

Ephesia Hotel
Ranked #33 of 155 Hotels in Kusadasi
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2weeks. Unfortunately after 3days we had had enough. This hotel only seems to cater for Germans and it spoilt the stay here, so if you are English I wouldn't bother booking this hotel. We were never offered water with our meals and always had to ask yet the Germans always had bottles of water brought to their tables without asking and are waited on hand and foot. The hotel itself is modern and spotlessly clean so I couldn't fault that. Also be prepared to get up at the crack of dawn for a good spot on your sun bed!! Food was average with repetitive dishes on the menu. This hotel also charges to hire safety desposit boxes in the rooms. This is the first hotel I have stayed at being all-inclusive I have had to pay for a safe. Surely having already paid for your room in your all-inclusive package you shouldn't have to pay extra for a safety box in your wardrobe! Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank richarjackie
There are newer reviews for Ephesia Hotel

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This review is soley based on this certain week we visited, so therefore may be different in the summer months. We advice anybody not to go on this date. We have just returned after a week at this hotel. (19th oct-25th oct) .The room was modern, spacious and cleaned everyday. I emailed the hotel to ask if we could have a seaview as on previous reviews they say to ask for 5th or 6th floor in an odd numbered room, and we got it, as on the other side you are dangerously facing another hotel (which is correct). The balcony was a bit overlooked by next door, but nice enough to sit out there. The weather was good during the day but went cold at night (so take a jacket and jeans). We got there late at night but had sandwiches and drinks waiting in our room. I think this is supposed to be a 3/4 star for food, but I would put it at 2star. On the menu every day for the meat was chicken and meatballs, they threw a fish in every now and then. So suffice to say I lived on chicken for a week. The outside bar you can have pizza and chips for lunch so that`s where we went to get away from the same old food. Got a no.6 bus which isn`t far away and went into kusadasi for the market. This was brilliant and when buying things do barter very hard, if they won`t accept - walk away they will soon shout you back and accept your offer (but whatever price they want go at least 1/3rd - it does work).The pool and the sea was freezing - so didn`t bother going into the pool until the very last day. The beach is ok but not very big. The drinks were also in abundance, and ali was brilliant. The only downside of this holiday was: The hotel was closing the following week so they had closed the roof bar, and taken off the entertainment (which I thought was disgusting as there is nothing to do at night and they should still have kept it on until the hotel was actually closed for the season). We ended up watching sports on the tele, as this was the only entertainment going. The didyma restaurant was closed to the public - apart from what looked like private parties, but I think we read it that it closed in September? And to top it all off it was full of germans, and you could see that this hotel caters for the germans. We would go back to turkey, but not to this hotel. DONT FORGET THIS REVIEW IS ONLY FOR THIS DATE.

Room Tip: rooms on 5th/6th floor odd numbered room have a brilliant seaview. Try and email the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jiw850
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week long stay at the ephesia hotel.the rooms were spacious,clean and modern and the maid came to clean every day.the food was of a good standard and there was always something that took your fancy.one of the main reasons that we would return to this hotel is the service.ali (one of the waiters) made our stay a special one and we thank you for this!!he should be employee of the month!thank you Ali for taking the time to tend to our every need (especially mummys,she still has her hat on lol). over all a fantastic relaxing holiday

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank michayla p
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked a holiday to the Ephesia Hotel after hearing good things about Turkey and reading reviews on this hotel. Our initial impression of the hotel was pretty good - we arrived quite late after a pretty long transfer from Izmir airport, but were checked in very quickly and found our room to be of a good size, decor and cleanliness - we were even left a bottle of water and a sandwich each, which was very welcome. The only down point at this time was the view - directly facing the back of the neigbouring hotel, what a shame. The one thing that did puzzle me about the room was that not only did the key card control the lights in the room (as you'd expect) but ALL of the electrics - including the fridge! So basically, is was just a spare cupboard!

On our first full day we quickly realised that the hotel is not really geared up for English clientelle - it is mainly Turkish and German guests. I was very surprised by this after reading the good reviews on here from English guests; this being my main reason for booking this hotel, so that our 11 year old daughter could make some friends. Our daughter really struggled with this and very quickly wanted to come home. Happlily, she did find one lovely English girl of a similar age who she befriended.

For us, we did find that being in the minority did rather make us feel like the poor relation. We often found that the Turkish guests were served first - particularly at the pide bar (a kind of turkish pizza and worth trying) and by the girl who made the Gozleme (a traditional filled flatbead) - I walked away from both of these after waiting a long time and being overlooked. I found the turkish guests on the whole (there were exceptions) to be pushy (especially at the lifts and in the restaurants) and felt that they deserved special treatment - I am very surprised that others haven't commented on this.

We had other niggles, including the fact the there are only three lifts for the hotel and one didn't work for three days! Not great for the size of the hotel and even worse when you're constantly pushed in front of! Also, the hotel advertise free wifi, but it rarely worked and I was constantly ringing reception to try and get it working. The hotel pool and surrounding area is not in proportion to the size of the hotel and if you want a sun lounger, you have to get up very early and play the 'towel run' game. Another one of our main reasons for booking this hotel was beause it was by the beach - which it most certainly is. Just such a shame that the beach is so chocker with sun loungers that it might as well be paved over! The drinks at the bar are very poor indeed - not only do they not appear to actually contain any alcohol, but they don't even taste like the spirit they are meant to be!

Our main concern though was the interest that one of the bar staff paid in our 11 year old daughter. When we first arrived and went to the bar, he asked her how old she was and whether she had a boyfriend. I did find this a bit inappropriate, but put it down to him having a bit of banter, and not really understanding that it wasn't really appropriate. Unfortunately, he continued to ask her this whenever he saw her and also asked her a couple of times whether she would be his girlfriend. She was very uncomfortable with this and would visibly shrink when he spoke to her - we did report this to our rep, who dealt with it well.

We did take a trip out to the Adaland waterpark, which was really good - although even this day was marred when a turkish guest from our hotel started on my husband! We had paid for our tickets and wanted to go through the entrance gate; he was in the next queue waiting to pay, so I said 'excuse me' to try and get past, but he didn't move. When my husband tried to get past, he kicked him! My husband said 'don't kick me' and the man just went mad! It took the park employees to pull him away - I was VERY shaken my this incident and worried that he might start again back at the hotel (but to his credit, he came up to my husband that evening and apologised).

I did report all of our problems to our rep, Lauren - who I must say handled it very well and was very helpful - she even arranged a free late check out room for us, which was very appreciated.

All in all, it was a very disappointing holiday, no resort to speak of and not much to do (we played a lot of Uno!). We did try to make the best of it and I did actually enjoy watching some of the games and dances around the pool (the entertainment team try really hard) and joined in the aquarobics, which was a laugh. We did meet a few lovely English people and a couple of them really like this hotel - but sadly for us, there won't be a return visit.

Room Tip: Even number rooms have sea view, make sure you book it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joneslot
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We enjoyed a week away at this hotel last minute in July. Before we arrived I emailed the hotel to request an odd numbered room on level 5 (having read previous reviews) and we were given exactly that. Views were great - part over land and the mountains, part over the sea and beach. Food was fine and drinks were generous, variety of turkish handmade food prepared and cooked in the traditional ways around the pool for lunch was very welcomed and filling! Take advantage of the one night included in the a la carte, simply for the sunset views and table service as much as the food. There is a restaurant at the front of the hotel that was absolutely amazing. We hired a car and didn't get back to the hotel til gone midnight one evening. We stopped at this restaurant to have a beer and they cooked us some food especially, the most amazing french onion soup and steaks we've ever eaten. Great host and his son were superb. It's to the left of another restaurant that does pizzas and the like - only two restaurants near the front of the hotel - can't miss them, worth a visit!

Other stuff in brief:

Use the dolmus. Cheap and cheerful.
The distance between beach and bar is dangerously convenient ;) we took full advantage.
Don't try to walk home from Kusadasi - however confident your boyfriend may be in 'knowing a short cut'...3 hours later...
On a day when my boyfriend was ill we were given room service, very helpful and kind staff
Hire a car and do Pumakkale and Ephesus yourselves.
Barter like hell at the markets - whatever the price - at least half it - at least!
Indulge in some amazing fresh seafood at the harbour in Kusadasi
Don't forget to hire a car and do Pumakkale and Ephesus yourselves
We took Lira. Most prices in Euros. Go with Euros.
By sunset the beach is empty - take a few drinks down and enjoy.
The get up early, hire a car and do Pamukkale/Ephesus yourselves (not sure if that's gone in yet)

Room Tip: Odd number on levels 5/6
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ElleRowles
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had 5 in our party, three early 20's and my wife and I middle aged. We all had a superb time. The Hotel was excellent, Bedrooms were of a very high standard.Yes we did have rooms over looking the next door Hotel, but that did not worry us. Cleaned to a very high standard. We arrived late so there were filled rolls and water when we arrived, My wife and I had a couple of small problems in our room, they were sorted within the hour. The entertainments team worked really hard, If you didn't want to take part there was no pressure. Food was of a high standard and varied, Pool clean and plenty of sun beds! Lovely gardens to sit in and Beach area also good for beds. We must mention Ali from Murphys bar in Kusadasi, he came to the Hotel and arranged free transport to the Bar on a day and time to suite us, The meal was of a very high standard, we then walked around the town and when we were ready went back to Murphys and Ali arranged free transport back to the Ephesia Hotel.The Hotel and staff were Excellent always ready with a smile and very helpful. We would also like to mention Ongun in the main Bar, he was very friendly and made us feel special. We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank peter g
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We haven't got a bad word to say about this holiday. 2 weeks of absolute perfection. You could have relaxation if you wanted. you could have none stop fun with the extremely hard working team of entertainers (if any management is reading this, give them a 2nd day off). They were also great with the kids. The waiters are really friendly and maids are very thorough. Food was excellent with plenty of choice cantering for everyone and you didn't feel like you were eating the same stuff all the time. The only bad thing was the beer/spirits wasn't the best. you could drink it all evening and seem sober but go over the road to the bar and you knew you'd had a drink after two Efes!! We'll go again though.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple