“Please pay no heed to negative reviews!”

Golden Gate Apart Hotel
Ranked #66 of 156 Hotels in Kusadasi
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Returned from a week at the Golden Gate! Don't know why so many people complain although some were expecting 5* spanish luxury and spent half their holiday moaning at us - their fault for being deluded! Yes the rooms are basic but they are clean. I had to request clean towels on two occasions but I was approached on the last day by a young girl who apologised as she had only started and was unsure of the practices - everyone makes mistakes!

A couple complained about us on our second day there (part of a group of 6 friends, across 3 rooms on the top floor). They were complaining that we were making too much noise at night - in their words "laughing in our rooms, walking back to our room in heels at night and for moving our beds on the first night we arrived there". Staff dealt with this very well and the couple eventually moved to another hotel on a free transfer later in the week - not sure why they expected that people had to tiptoe back at night, all we were doing was going straight to bed!

Reception staff don't speak great english, however if you go to the bar they will more than happily assist with any problems, even translating to reception! The bar staff by far made the holiday for us. Full of fun, always asking how you were, remember what you like to drink etc and would go out of their way for you. We were even driven by the guy who runs the bar to a local hotel for dinner one evening, he offered and was totally going out of his way to do this for us, couldn't have been more grateful.

The food was lovely - higher than my expectations! Never had to wait long for food or drink. You run up a bill on your card as they don't operate in cash but I would recommend paying this off each day just so you don't have a scare!

All in all one of the best holidays I have had so far. Don't expect luxury but you know what you are paying for. In this instance you are guaranteed clean and make sure you pay the bar staff a visit - they're worth it!

My only regret? Not having more money to tip the bar staff on the last day!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

On the day we arrived we learned the staff had poor English. But thought they must know enough to get by. We wer proven wrong on the most part.
In our room we wer greeted with a smell from the toilet which kept waking us all night and stayed all week. We complained and they only said they won't move us. They refused to give us spray so we had to buy our own. We complained to out wings abroad rep the next and she said she will fix it for us. But nothing was done.
There was one very friendly and fun bar man, other then that the staff did not mix with holidayers. The receptionist sat at her desk chatting on the phone all day. She refused to call the rep or a taxie for other holidayers and said nothing other then no.
The Turkish night was highly reccommended. But was a total let down. The poor belly dancer ha to dance to poor quality music which kept cutting out and we could tell she was angry. She neither announced herself nor said goodbye. We didn't even notice her come in wer surprised to see her. Then mr spoon man came in and he was the worst thing ever. All he did was dress in sparkles ad wear a silly had shout hey hey and clapped giant spoons. We did the most of it. He got us up to play the spoons. It was rather boring for us who took part not a mind the ppl who wer only watching. He then had the cheek to ask for tips at the end of his "act". We wer told there would b more acts then that but no one turned up and no one announce it was over. We waited for ages. We paid €30 for s""te. Even the food was bad. I was sick for the night. And I had been eating Turkish food all along so it wasn't that.
There are 2 pools but only one gets used as the other is deeper. It's too small for people who don't know each other to share. The first mornings breakfast was lovely. Fresh omelettes and coffee from a machine as well as Mellon and bread. Every other day there was no omelette and only jar coffee. So water melon every morning and bread. Although the hotel was full and breakfast was busy. I heard two customer talk to the bar staff saying how they did not like dinner at all. We stayed one night and it was more like a snack.
The hotel is 5 min walk from ladies beach which is a must see and a one hour walk from the town. The dolmus stops right outside.
If you want to go on any trips I recommend you don't buy with the rep. Go to ladies beach and ask for slim jim. He gives good deals and if the bus leaves u behind he will get you there. Two couples got left behind when we went to adaland. When we said it they refused to wait. One couple booked on beach and got free transfer and the other booked with rep and had to pay 50tl to get there themselves. The receptionist wouldn't call the taxie.
After complaining about our room we had to stay there for 4 nights before they moved us to another hotel, blue sea. A sister hotel. We had payed for air con and safe for the week and didn't get the money back. We wer told we got moved for the complained but it turned out they wer moving lots of ppl to make space for a wedding. They told us we would hav free transfer back to the hotel for airport pick up but we had to arrange and pay for this ourselves.
Over all it's a fine place if u have no problems, otherwise ur screwed. Avoid unless u need a very cheap place. Although I'm sure you might get better for similar.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We are just back from the golden gate and have to say was one off the best holidays we had! We where in a group off 6..
Rooms were basic but big and clean with towels changed every 2 days and bed sheets regularly changed. No issues with the room at all.
The best part of this hotel the bar staff!! Omg they make this hotel anything we needed ilkay sorted us out his English was brilliant and kept us entertained the whole holiday. Then there was George(Hamit) he was crazy and give us some brilliant laughs. Would go back to that hotel just based on them two alone! Missing you's already guys!! Strawberry daiquiris at the pool are a must best I've tasted ever yumm. And the food was good at the hotel too. We had no probld with the charge card as I'd read in a few reviews it was actually easier than carrying money around.

Only fault I could say about the place is reception staffs English wasn't the best but just see ilkay at the bar he sorts you out.

Just wish I was back :(

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Wee B
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Myself and wife have just returned from golden gate as part of a group. Must start by saying that we had an enjoyable time there and would happily return. As said in other posts it is basic but you expect that from most holiday hotels. We had a nice clean bedroom and big bathroom that was kept spotless by the maids all week long. Only thing I would say bad about a self catering hotel is that there is no cooker just a single ring that you can move to anywhere. Pools where nice and plenty of beds available. Bar staff made our holiday. So funny and helped keep us entertained. Bar manager ilkay even went as far as driving friends to another hotel for dinner. Barman George (Cirkin maymun) was a bit crazy but certainly made us laugh gets frightened when you call forey at him. If I had to point out negatives about the hotel it would be that reception staff are not the best at speaking English and they strangely offered us all to change hotels for free with our dinner and breakfasts included all week but we declined this offer.

Eating in the area I would recommend a restaurant named somewhere else on beach front. And in centrum ( town) I would visit china sea and planet yokku these where the best 3 meals we had all week. I would avoid sherwoods on the seafront only 1 out of 6 of us actually enjoyed out meal there.

Over I would return here just wish the transfer wasn't 2 and half hours from airport

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank dav_3_y
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed here for a week from 25th august until September 1st.As everyone says its basic,clean and good value for money.As a light sleeper I slept grand with no noise issues to report.Nice pool,5 min stroll to ladies beach and its lovely restaurants.Thankfully the staff didn't bother us once about turkish nights or staying for meals etc ,as this is the one thing that usually annoys me about holidaying in turkey.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johnnymac1
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Having read some previous reviews I must admit I was wary of the Golden Gate. Having returned from a lovely week away,please pay no heed to many of the negative comments! Firstly, for high season in August, I never had a bad nights sleep in the golden gate. There was some music which went on past midnight (god forbid in a holiday resort!) but I slept like a baby. For the both of us, the small bedroom area with mirror and tv, kitchenette and bathroom/ mirror earlier, the space was perfect. One minor criticism was that our front door wasn't the most secure looking thing- perhaps the heat had damaged it, perhaps it had been bust by a former holiday maker. Either way we reported it to our rep and she did nothing about it so I guess that fault lies with Thomson and not the golden gate. Air con is the best 60 lira (£20) spent on the entire stay, that's all I need to say about that. Cleaners were pleasant, reliable and towels and sheets changed every few days. Kitchenette may not be great if you're looking to feed a family but personally I've no interest in cooking on a weeks holiday, especially if the place I've stayed in saved me money in the first place! The location is great. Lovely ladies beach 5 min walk away; some lovely chill out areas. Some souvenir shops and great restaurants there - I would recommend somewhere else. Most expensive meal was 2 pints of coke, starter and 2 mains, 2 desserts for less than £30. I would advise to trust the local tour companies - sun wind and sun dial. We booked them for turkish baths that worked out at a Tenner and Ephesus (full day) which was £23 each. Thomsons was an extortionate £44 for the full day... I rest my case. Their stalls are on the beach. The dolmus is an experience but not unpleasant. Pay 2 lira each to kusadasi and it will taken 10- 15 mins depending on traffic and the vigour of the driver. The local market for all your needs - the migros- is about a 40 second walk away, not 4 minutes as another reviewer said. They must have walked very slow. The reception staff were lovely and as they are turkish, I didn't expect them all to be fluent in English. The bar staff were lovely and we didnt experience one issue with the credit room card you were provided with. If you are looking a good base for a nice break away, I would recommend the golden gate. It is basic indeed as many apart hotels are- but I'll eat my hat if anyone here paid over £450 for a wk including their flights. Kusadasi market is a must- it's certainly an experience. Don't be ashamed to haggle and know when to smile, say no thanks and walk on. Try the turkish rice, kebabs, meatballs and delights. Turkey is more interesting than your Spanish/ canary holidays for sure. The BBQ night in the golden gate is a must also- buffet for a Tenner each. An alternative chill out night with a 3 course meal with a roast chicken dinner for £7... Where could you get it at home? The turkish are friendly and accommodating. Enjoy your stay at the golden gate- we certainly did :-)

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Whiskeyjacque
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Having read mixed reviews of the golden gate prior to our departure we were a little nervous about what to expect. However, there really was no need for our anxiety. The pool area is lovely, plenty of sun loungers for everyone and the pool is cleaned every night. We requested air con upon arrival, which was an additional charge of €4 per day.. Well worth every cent! Our room was also cleaned thoroughly every single day for our 2 week stay, towels changed every 2 days, and bed clothes changed frequently. The staff on reception are so nice, and really do go out of their way to help. The Turkish night which the hotel holds on a Tuesday night was about 30turkish lira per person, this included lots of entertainment and a delicious turkish buffet.. (Chicken on skewers, rices, salads, gougons, marninated beef, rostis, fruits, chocolate tarts, etc..) Ladies beach is so much nicer than the city in terms of eating, Rosy's, Rocca, brothers are highly recommended... If you are an active person the walk to Kusadasi is about 25 minutes and is well worth it with stunning views and a nice bit of exercise. Otherwise the Dolmus runs from outside the hotel for €1. Planet Yucca is really good food in town, and has a great guy singing from about 9.30.. They also do yummy pancakes, we went there for brunch after the market. La Vista is a sister hotel of the golden gate, it is a very exclusive boutique hotel, with stunning views (the best in Kusadasi) ontop of the cliff where u can watch the sunset. (Very romantic) The tables are al fresco, beside an infinity pool with candles lit everywhere.. And the food is superb. It is my number one recommendation. It is very reasonably priced.. 4 drinks and a steak a chicken stirfry and 2 tirimasus for around 55 euro.. That is with a 10% discount for golden gate guests.. Be warned though, men wear a shirt, and women dress elegantly. Adaland waterpark is also highly recommended, we had a fantastic day there.. Book with agents on ladies beach though, do not book with your travel agency rep.. We went to Adaland including transfers for €36.00.. The Turkish bath is a great idea for your first day.. exfoliates and prepares your skin for tanning.. And great fun for couples.. With an agent on ladies beach for €8 per person including transfers! Migros is a handy place for groceries, 2 minute walk on the right after the hotel on the way to ladies beach.. However the fruit and veg is not fresh in migros, so if you are on a two weeker, go to the fruit market in town on the friday of your first week.. It is sooooo fresh, cheap and the selection is huge! Alcohol is MEGA expensive in Turkey.. A bottle of house wine is the same price as a steak on menus.. So if you're on a drinking holiday you are going to spend a lot more than a chill out one! Overall, we loved every single minute of our holiday.. And will definitely be returning to Golden Gate.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple