“Excellent stay at Whispering Sands, Kusadasi!”
Review of Whispering Sands

Whispering Sands
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Not long been back from a 1 week stay at Whispering Sands in Kusadasi. What an excellent place!

Me & my girlfriend arrived in the early hours of the morning where we were greeted and cases taken to our room. We had a walk down to the bar which was seemingly closed but the friendly barmen opened it for us to have a drink.

The apartment itself was extremely clean and very spacious. It had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a large kitchen and living room area. Air conditioning within the two bedrooms and living room was superb when we used it!

The balcony was pretty big, our apartment was facing the sea so we were lucky enough to see the amazing Kusadasi sunsets whilst enjoying a cool drink. Truly a great site (see pic!)

Kitchen had all the essentials we needed to cook. pans, cutlery, cups, plates etc. Also had a great modern oven and washing machine which was handy!

I must note that the shower was particularly impressive as usually when on holiday it’s a slow drip at best but this was very powerful!

The pool area was spacious and clean with more than enough sunbeds so not a problem there atall.

I've read a few reviews where people suggested the WiFi wasn't the best and could only get coverage in and around the bar / pool area. I was picking it up in my apartment which wasn't the closest to the bar area but worked fine all week round for me!

We stocked up on essentials from the local supermarket which was around 10 minutes walk from the apartments (got a taxi back).

We ate lunch most probably every day we were at Whispering Sands. There was a good choice, very tasty and as per the drinks reasonably priced.

We never actually ate at the restaurant in the evenings but it always looked nice.
We ate out every night either in the center of Kusadasi or at Ladies Beach. A lot of the restaurants done a pickup and drop off service so that was pretty handy. Otherwise we’d just get a bus from the apartment into the middle of town for around 70p per person. The #1 bus back would always drop us around 150 yards from Whispering Sands so location was not a problem atall.

When it came to home time we were not due to leave for the airport until 1700, we were told it was OK to stay in the apartment (at no extra cost) until then as it was not being checked into by anyone else that day.

All the staff at Whispering Sands were extremely friendly. Liam and Tony were very approachable and always on hand if we had any questions on places to eat / drink, supermarkets, etc... Both great guys!

Overall, really loved the place, will recommend to all my friends & family and hope to return next year!

Room Tip: Request a sea view apartment for an excellent Sunset in the evenings!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tom B
TonyandLiam, Director of Sales at Whispering Sands, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Hi Tom B,

Thank you for taking the time to tell everyone about your stay at Whispering Sands. You are a young experienced traveller and your excellent review carries added weight accordingly.

You are right; the sunsets over Kusadasi are spectacular. Anyone wishing to be a little away from the pool terrace area will be enthralled watching these superb evening vistas whilst enjoying a cool drink on their balcony.

This is a great time of the year for couples to stay at Whispering Sands. Just as you have written, it is very easy to get around and there are many fine restaurants in Kusadasi worthy of a visit and many of them offer a free pick-up and return service. It is a bit quieter as there are not so many children around and it is not just as noisy as it normally is in the height of the summer.

Thank you for being an ambassador for Whispering Sands. I too hope that you get the opportunity to return.
Look after yourselves.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Pros: Fully furnished apartments have good sized rooms. The restaurant is open from early morning to late night and food is excellent with a lot of international choices at very reasonable price. There is pool on site. Very friendly staff. Good value for the money. If your goal is to relax, this is a perfect place.
Cons: Away from the town, will need taxi to go any where. We had rented a car from Izmir airport (highly recommended, book before arriving in Turkey), so we had no problem getting around. Our apartment did not have good wi-fi and we had go up to the pool to get a signal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Pankaj K
TonyandLiam, Director of Sales at Whispering Sands, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Pankaj K,

It is good to hear from you again. It was great to meet you at the start of the season and I hope you will continue to recommend us to your friends and colleagues.

It is fair to say that early season and late season are the best times to come if you want to chill out, relax and have a quieter time, just because the children are not here in any substantial numbers at these times. Many people choose to come here for this reason.

The advantage or disadvantage of our distance from the town centre is a matter of opinion. It is without doubt much easier for us to provide a safe haven for children being located 2.5km from town, than if we were in town centre or on the beachfront. These other locations have their own advantages and disadvantages, again depending on personal opinion.

I believe it is better to be a little out of town as you can then enjoy the best of both worlds; go into town when you want the hustle and bustle, and then step back again when you want to relax. Getting around is so easy and not expensive; there is our resident taxi Ahmet, a star in his own right; there is the Dolmus local bus service, only 200 metres away and going every 20 minutes; many restaurants do a free pick up and return service, and of course it is only a 30 minute walk into town.

I’m surprised you were getting wifi at your apartment; it’s supposed to be only available at the pool terrace. I’ll have to check that out!!!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a good review about us. It is much appreciated.
Look after yourself and come back soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Having read a selection of reviews and the responses given to some of the bad reviews we gained an opinion that perhaps the bad reviews were overstated - and booked our holiday confident we had made the right choice. How wrong we were, having returned from a weeks holiday at Whispering Sands we can only apologise to all the people who left negative reviews whose opinions we discarded and must criticise the responses given to those people who had issues.

We have been to Turkey many times and always enjoyed very much where we stayed, however, this was the worst apartment/resort we have experienced, much of what we have read on the bad reviews unfortunately also applied to our holiday and reflected our own experiences. All our issues are covered by other low reviews of this holiday destination so we thought it uneccessary to repeat them.

Ahemt the taxi driver was wonderful, had it not been for him, we think we would have packed our bags and found somewhere else for the weeks stay.

We do feel Whispering Sands should take on board some of the negative comments and accept responsibility, this could be an outstanding place. However, it seems they have an answer for everything and obviously well overstate the truth.

All we can add by way of a review is take notice of the negative reviews/comments which we wholeheartedly agree with, be more sceptical of the good reviews and be very wary of the responses to the bad ones.

No under no circumstances would we ever recommend this resort.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank David B

Hi David P

It is difficult to answer your review as not only do you hide behind a pseudonym but you also hide behind the reviews of others. The only clue that I can get from you that is personal is your headline “no services”................well,
The pool was open, clean and crystal clear;
There were ample sun beds and umbrellas;
The pool bar was open;
The restaurant was open;
The soft play zone was open;
The kids club was open;
The hairdresser salon was open;
The beautician was open;
The music bar was open;
The football pitch was open;
The entertainment was on for five of the nights you were there and only one night was late;
The kids play areas were open;
There was wifi around the pool terrace;
The reception was open from 8 in the morning until 2 the next morning.

I am not sure what type of services you expected us to provide, but all that we advertised was available to you.
Many times I have already said that we are far from the finished article and we have much work to do. We start every day trying to do better than the day before. Of course we listen to all that is said about us, and of course we read all that is written about us. We pay attention to all. We want to improve and stay at the top. That is why every review is answered.

I find it really strange that you say you have been to Turkey many times and always enjoyed very much where you stayed, yet you have never written a review on any of these places.
I find it strange also that having taken the considerable trouble to sign in to Tripadvisor that you do not make any specific complaint, other than agree with all the negative reviewers, even though many of them are contradictory.
Even those who have written poor reviews have had differences of opinion; some have said prices are high, others that prices were fine; some said food was bad, others that the food was good; some said it was far out of town, while others said that it was better and safer being out of town. You just agree with all of them without making a substantive comment yourself.
I find it extremely strange that I could not find a photocopy of a passport for a David B staying in August.

I believe that you are my first bogus reviewer. (or perhaps a previous poor reviewer coming back for another go).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and we value all opinions, good, bad and indifferent. Each one gets the respect of an answer....no one is insulted by our ignorance to their comments.
If you choose to agree with other poor reviews then that is fine, but you should not denigrate those who have chosen to disagree with you. Many people have written reviews who do not agree with you; on the contrary they believe that Whispering Sands is a wonderful holiday destination. You treat these people with no respect at all, and it is to your detriment.

Someone making the comment that they arrived late at the airport because of us when in fact they changed the transfer pick up time, should not go unchallenged? Someone stating that we had to move them to a different apartment to sort out a big mix up, when in fact they were advised before they came, that the only way we could get them in for the duration of their holiday was to move them part way through, should not go unchallenged? Someone stating that the pool was very cold whilst the temperatures were in the 40’s, should not go unchallenged? Someone stating that they paid 50 Euro for a taxi from the water park when it cost less than half that sum, should not go unchallenged? You agree with all the negative reviews yet some comments have been shown to be just pure silliness.

If people try to mislead then we have the right to make comment and have done so where necessary.

Perhaps you should read the review after yours from Pankaj K from Wilmington, Delaware.
This is a succinct example of the way to write a proper critique.

I know it is impossible to please everyone all of the time, but I will get up in the morning and try.
I hope the rest of the year brings you what you deserve and that you deserve what the rest of the year brings you; whoever you are.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Five of us stayed at whispering sands for a week and wish we had stayed longer, including the two teenagers who are very hard to please! Apartment was brilliant, very spacious with air con in all rooms. Apartment was fully equipped for self catering, but we didn't need it as food at poolside restaurant was great we ate there nearly every night! Would highly recommend whispering sands to all out friends and family and are already thinking about our next holiday there. Ahmet the resident taxi man was brilliant and had the kids laughing on every trip, he was always on hand and always recommended the best places to visit, in fact all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Very relaxing holiday! Thankyou again to all the staff!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Kb369
TonyandLiam, Director of Sales at Whispering Sands, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Kb369,

I know the feeling about teenagers...we have 3 of them. There are times when me and Christine think back longingly to before they were born...only kidding!!!!!
No matter how much mess they make, how hard they are to get out of bed in the morning, how much money they seem to need, we, just like you I am sure, would not be without the kids.

And that is exactly why Whispering sands is such a draw for the children. Whispering Sands is a magnet. I must stress that I am not "Peter Pan" but it seems as if kids are drawn to this place. There is so much for the youngsters to do here, so many games to play and so much fun to be had, and Julie our kids club leader has such a world of experience looking after young children, that there is no way for children to be bored.
They make many new friends no matter what age they are and no matter how shy you think they are. Just leave them be and be enthralled at what they are like going home.

You know the funny thing is...you do not have to be less than 18 to enjoy being here.

See you again one day.
Be good. Be safe.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Apartment was certainly not luxury, it was extremely basic and we had to ask for knives,teapot,mugs,saucepans, etc as the kitchen was not well equipped. Asked Liam and 3 days later had to ask again. TV was small, an old CRT and very fuzzy with very poor satellite reception, only challenge tv and sky news, certainly a far cry from the flat screen shown in photos. Windows blinds were damaged, wardrobe door hanging off, toilet flush broken, shower waste partially blocked, and although on the surface appeared clean, it was certainly not clean, there was cigarette buts, sweets, dirt and mess under the beds to say the least. we were informed all the apartments are privately owned so feel we were unlucky. The only good thing about the apartment was the spacious balcony.

Apart from the pool bar which took orders for food and the swimming pool no other amenities were open, we appreciate our holiday was 31st August - 15th September but didnt expect everything else to be shut down. Restaurant was disappointing we did expect an under cover eating facility - not just 8 tables at the side of the pool. Could only pick up wifi at reception desk and it was very slow and intermittent. Jacuzzi was part of the main pool located in the corner with some plastic seating and jets - not working. Due to lack of services there was no atmosphere, it became an apartment with a pool with eating facilities if required.

Very disappointing and wouldnt recommend to anyone. No doubt a clever response will be made in answer to this review but please be aware the details provided in the travel information about this resort are most definitely overstated and our comments have been honest and truthful from our experience at Whispering Sands Resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Irene P
TonyandLiam, Director of Sales at Whispering Sands, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Hi Irene P,

I went home on 29th August and returned on 16th September and as it happens missed your presence at Whispering Sands.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your holiday as much as you had anticipated.

I think you got mixed up between my twin sons Liam & Aaron. It seems you believed Liam to be me, when in fact it was Aaron that you spoke to. They were looking after the place until I came back.

Our 18 year old boys were wondering why you needed so many knives as all of the apartments have a full complement of cutlery and after all, there were only three of you; they were very curious about what you were going to do with them, but nevertheless they treated you politely, courteously and acquiesced to your request. Aaron delivered your required items to your door as you were not in at the time.
You know it is amazing what children can pick up on...Aaron said he knew you would be trouble, probably because you were so rude to him, and so he left you a note to state the time that he left the items at your door. It was less than an hour after you had been to the office with your orders.

I find it strange that you attach some photos of some building outside the walls of Whispering Sands, yet tellingly you do not show any photos of the "mess under the beds" nor of your "not luxury" apartment. I was curious so I went to the apartment and checked. I squeezed my fingers between the floor and the bed base and lifted up the bed. Then I went to the second bedroom and did the same. There is no mess. There have been no other guests in the apartment since you left 5 days ago. I believe anyone who is honest does not have to say they are honest.

As I have said many times before and I will say here again; Anytime there is any problem with your apartment just ask and we will do all we can to help, even if that means moving you to a different apartment, when available. You read the reviews on Tripadvisor before you came, and you were informed when you arrived; just ask if there is anything you need. Why did you not say you were unhappy with your apartment? Why did you go home muttering and in a bad mood? All you had to do was say. We are here to help and will do all we can to ensure your holiday is the best ever.
We don't for one moment believe that everything here is perfect and so we strive every day to improve. We know it is impossible to achieve perfection but that does not stop us wanting or trying to get there.

You asked about getting some small items delivered to your room and this was done forthwith...it is difficult to see any logical reason why you should now make such a song and dance about this. The lack or otherwise of a teapot is surely not a holiday-ruining experience.

The apartments at Whispering Sands can only be described as luxury; granite worktops, marble floors, power showers that you could stand in for ages, dine-in size balconies, superb air-condition in all bedrooms and living room, just ideal for hot summer evenings, not the fan-in-the-ceiling nor the cheap unit that would hardly blow a candle out, that you get in so many places around the world.

I told the boys that anyone can handle good customers but they also have to learn how to deal with the difficult ones. Thankfully we don't get the latter type here too often. I am happy though, that you have been able to further my children's education; it is an ill wind that does not blow some good.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our Holiday (2 Adults and 2 children aged 14 and 16) was booked directly with Liam via the website. Excellent prompt communication both by email and phone gave us all the information we needed before we arrived.

Taxi transfers from and to the airport were also booked directly with Liam. The taxi driver on the return trip back to Izmir had done his homework and decided to go the long way to avoid the holiday traffic after the finish of Ramadan.This proved to be very helpful as the traffic on the main route into the airport backed up for miles.

On arrival at Whispering Sands (at 1am) we were greeted by Liam and his family and immediately we felt at home. The apartment on the top floor was exactly as was described to us. It was very comfortable, spacious, clean and had both a sea and pool view. There was air-con throughout and a huge balcony for us to sit and watch the sunset. There was also the benefit of a lift to all the floors in the block.

“Whispering Sands” is situated a couple of miles out of town, but the no 1 dolmus bus (every 5-10 minutes) brings you back to within 200 yards of the complex for about 70 pence. The location was great for us as our children could go and do their own things, sometimes playing football on the floodlit pitch until 2am or just sitting talking to friends until late. I am not sure we could have coped with this if we had been in the centre of Kusadasi. There were security guards on the gate all the time to give you extra peace of mind.

The grounds were well maintained, the pool was kept clean and there was no problem with getting a sunbed or an umbrella. In fact there were probably too many umbrellas – (sorry Liam had to put it in.)

There are 2 big supermarkets within a mile of the complex and another 3 in the town centre, all opening until late, so getting provisions was never a problem.

If you didn’t want to use the local bus there was always the option of using Ahmet (the party taxi !) He was always on hand either waiting at the gate or just a text away. If he was busy he would arrange for another taxi to pick up which always arrived within 10 minutes. Ahmet was very pleasant, helpful and always smiling. He took us to Ephesus and the Virgin Mary House as well as taking us into town. We were never let down and he always knew all our names. He is definitely someone that you can call a friend.

The staff at “Whispering Sands” were fantastic. Family members and staff alike worked extremely hard (and very long hours!) The bar staff and waiters were very pleasant and were always willing to have a joke without overstepping the mark. The entertainment was great (and free!), with many nights spent at the complex having a lovely meal and a beer. The pool party, fire show and Mehmet (excellent singer) together with the varied music kept us entertained. Our last night was just superb, a lovely BBQ followed by a Turkish dancer and fire show and then all the children (and adults) dancing until midnight, we didn’t want to go to bed. The food was superb and as good if not better than what we ate in town. We had no complaints regarding the prices for the food and drink on the complex.

Kusadasi is a wonderful place to visit and Whispering Sands is definitely in an ideal location for families. The children really loved the place and we met some wonderful friends and had lots of fun. A big thank you has to go to Aaron, Liam and Caillene for their friendship and help throughout our holiday.

Thanks again for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Air-con in all apartments. They have a pool and/or sea view. A fantastic sunset can be seen from th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hello to the Siney Family,

I just knew that you would have a go about there being too many umbrellas!!!!!
You told me as much and laughingly said you could not see the pool for umbrellas, so I knew I had had not heard the end of you. Thanks Paul....you are a star.

It was great to see you all and I am really pleased that you mentioned Caillene and our two boys. They work very hard and do not get the recognition that I believe they deserve. They have been amazing this summer, just like previous years, and I would be lost without them. To all parents their children are the stars, and I am no different. It is nice though to see their efforts recognised by their peers, so, many thanks for saying nice things about them.

You have gladdened my heart no end with your very kind words. I am very chuffed at what you have said and I am very privileged to have met you and the children (although they are not
really children any more). Your last night escapades will last long in the memory. Yes I am proud of our children as I am sure you are of Jonathan & Hannah. Children are like their parents and you have 2 great children. I was delighted to meet them and equally delighted that they enjoyed being here and meeting the other children. I believe that the children give this place its heartbeat; without them we are just old fuddy duddies.

Our boys got the results they needed so Liam is going to Queens Belfast to study computer game programming and Aaron is going to Durham to study business management. We are very happy for them.
I miss then now and I am hoping I can get them back next summer. We will see.
Thanks for coming to stay here. I wish you well and hope you have a great end to the year.
Hopefully when we are over visiting Aaron we will get the chance to catch up with you for a beer and a chat.

Take care in the meantime, you two.
Say hello to Jonathan and Hannah from Caillene.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just returned from 18 days at whispering sands. The apartment was just how it was described, lovely pool area and loads of sun beds. The staff are brilliant and offer great service. We had a few meals at the pool and every one was perfect. It was quite far out but the bus came every10 minutes so perfect for us in the evening to go into the centre. I think we will be back in June :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kirby141

Hello Kirby141,

it is just as it says on the tin. We describe what the apartments are like, what the area is like and just what it is like being here in the summer. We tell it as it is. Thank you for saying so. We have no intention of misleading anyone, and we certainly do not want anyone coming here under any false illusions or pretensions.
The Tripadvisor reviews are now comprehensive enough to allow everyone to get the feeling of what we are about. No one should now come here believing we are what we are not.
I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and I sincerely hope that you will get the chance to come visit us again.
Have a great finish to 2013.
May 2014 bring you all that you desire.
Best wishes
Liam

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kusadasi
Ilayda Avantgarde Hotel
#2 of 4 in Davutlar
Hotel Akbulut & Spa
Hotel Akbulut & Spa
#1 of 7 in Guzelcamli

Been to Whispering Sands? Share your experiences!