“A fortnight to remember”
Review of Whispering Sands

Whispering Sands
Derry, United Kingdom
“A fortnight to remember”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have just had the holiday of a lifetime in Whispering Sands. The place is spotless and the staff are on hand to help when needed. I have been to Turkey before and came away thinking the resort workers didn't get the concept of customer care but this time I could find no fault. The facilities are excellent and the staff have obviously been trained in customer care and are eager to please. The facility is family run and the management appear to know their business which makes all the difference. Without question Whispering Sands is value for money I have in the past spent much more on my holiday and got much less than what is on offer at WS; I will be back!

Room Tip: The balconies with a view over the city offer a spectacular vista that never gets old
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank patrick c
TonyandLiam, Director of Sales at Whispering Sands, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hi Patrick C,

İt is very true that we have excellent and very professional staff. They do not go round rubbing peoples backs as if they have wind and need burped; nor do they sit on your wife’s lap or make eyes at your daughter. Instead they do what they are supposed to do. Treat the guests with utmost respect and care.
This is a family resort and the staff act accordingly, which may not be to the liking of all, but we are “no sleaze please” and will continue to be so.

Many thanks for taking the time to write about us.
I hope to see you back again soon.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
Yeovil
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hmmmmm...not at all what we were expecting!!! Now before you read this please understand this is just the view of my family's experience, however we are very laid back and easy to please, this is also our third time in Turkey, first time in Kusadasi (well kind of in Kusadasi). Right here goes...
Apartments look nice to the naked eye but were not that clean, also being on the ground floor with a locked window that you could still push open, damage to furniture e.g dents in wardrobe, missing handles to cupboards, faulty sockets and lights not working. Complained to reception and it was all written down but to no avail! I had to ask for a kettle and a hair dryer??????? I ask you! A good 45 minute walk to the town centre, we walked it!!! Very far out and you are really frowned upon if you eat out, especially if the restaurants in town come and pick you up. The week before we arrived ice creams were selling at 1 TL ( the same as in town) and then the price rose to 3TL! The on site shop is the size of a large cupboard and extremely limited bearing its remote location. The resort menu was very limited and pricey for poor quality food, drinks too, and as you are quite a distant from the centre I can see why families simply settle for this for an easy life...but a resort should not govern your choices like that!! Our transfer from airport (£90 each way) was an uncomfy small yellow cab and on our return a mini bus shared with another family...surely there should have been some discount for shared travel...? Every morning I lost count of bits of paper, straws and plasters beside the pool! just gross, although the actual pools seemed clean enough, but very cold!!!! The entertainment is very average yet loud and some nights went on until 2am! friends of ours booked the trip to the local water park, they over booked and added three plastic stools on to the bus for travelling... with a six year old? then to add insult to injury and in the knowledge of their error sent the same bus with stools to pick them up??? they paid 50 Euros in a taxi to get back to the resort safely and after many conversations they eventually were refunded!!!!A holiday omnibus man would have had a field day. My family felt the resort is a con and the owner is reaping a great profit! The best asset is the lovely Ahemt, the wonderful taxi driver who made our week!
Do: visit Ephesus and The House of the Virgin Mary. Excellent and breath taking trips out
Great restaurants: The Special Restaurant, The Ateplhi and the Yoko, great value.
Star beach is just great reasonably priced for food, sunbeds etc and not too crowded!
Kusadasi is quite big and busy, it accommodates some stunning buildings with a beautiful marina, old harbour and Pigeon Island, the Turkish are ultra friendly and helpful. Always call Ahemt to collect you as the taxi services do not know the location of Whispering Sands...interesting? But Ahmet is all ways so willing to take you and collect you, biggest tip: put his mobile number in your phone ASAP!
I ask you Dear Trip Advisor, how this resort has won a certificate of excellence from yourselves is beyond me. A very disappointed family and hence,me won't return and certainly will never recommend the resort. :(

4 Thank jakendaisy
TonyandLiam, Director of Sales at Whispering Sands, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hi Jakendaisy,

Here goes back!!!

I have never known anyone ever check out our cleanliness with a microscope before. We pride ourselves on how clean the place is. To say it is not is grossly misleading.

What direction were you going in when you walked into town? It is 2.5km (1.7 miles). That is 30 minutes at your leisure. You know the funny thing is, that everytime I walk into town, it is the same distance and takes the same time!!

It would be best if you got your facts lined up before you start to let rip with the criticism.
The ice cream has always been 2.5tl (85pence); That was before you turned up, whilst you were here, and you’ve guessed it, after you left.
It was 50tl paid for the taxi back from the water park. 50 Euros would take you to Izmir!!! Furthermore there was no series of conversations about the payment. It was mentioned to my son who was in reception; he rang me as I was off site. I said pay and my son duly did. We have subsequently spoken to the outside provider of this service. No fuss, no problem. It is the way we handle things here, quietly and without any hassle. All we want is for everyone to be safe and have fun.
You complain that the outdoor pool was very cold...come on, what next, the sky was too blue?
The temperatures have been reaching into the forties...of course when you jump into the pool you will feel the change in temperature. Do you want me to have 40 degree water and cook the people?

We have had some very unfair and silly statements made by a group of people here at the same time. We are at the top and will be seen to be fair game for the snipers.
Everyone should be coming here for a good time, not to be going round making silly lists and comparing notes.
Some people have little to do.
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I went 2 whispering sands with my husband and 2 young children. It was great for us as we felt our children were safe in the gated complex. Which means a lot when u are in a strange country with young children.

We found the staff were very friendly and helpful any time we approached them, and we were made feel welcome from we arrived on site.

The bar and restaurant had great food, and very handy as we didn't want 2 be down the town to late with the children. The soft play was great for the kids, as it was a good break out of the sun. My husband also loved the fact that there was a gym on site, as its never usually the case when we are away.

I wld recommend this complex 2 anyone!! Myself and my family had a great time!! Ill be advising all my friends and family to go to Whispering sands. We will be back next year for sure!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Zarajackson
Hello to you Zarajackson,

And thank you for taking the time to pen such a considerate review. It is sometimes difficult to find a holiday location where you can feel your children are safe. I believe that Whispering Sands is that type of place.
We are a little out of town so children can’t just wander off while you are at the pool. Our soft play zone is a special place for the younger children up to age 10. This is where the kids club is based and where parents can bring their toddlers for some interaction with other toddlers. It’s amazing how quickly children make friends. It never ceases to amaze me. We adults could learn many lessons from our children if we only opened our eyes to them.

I’m delighted that you will come back again.
Until then take care.
Belfast
Reviewed August 2, 2013

a beautiful, clean, quiet and peaceful, or a bit of interaction and fun if you want it. The rooms and pool areas are spotless. no issues with hot water supply and staff are always there to help,
there is a kids club which allows mums and dads a littel bit of free time.

Room Tip: rooms around the pool can be a little bit noisey due to the entertainment from about 9pm to 11.45pm...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank phillipsc
Hello Phillipsc,

İt’s nice to get a normal review for a change!!!!

What you say is absolutely true...join in if you want to...or just chill out. That is the beauty of this place. You can spend a whole afternoon chatting to some stranger-to-become-friend, and next day not feel that you have to speak to that person all afternoon again.

The kids club is one of our greatest assets as it allows the little children to make new friends and get a tiny wee bit of freedom from the parents. Allows Mum & Dad to get some free time too. I’m glad your kids enjoyed themselves. That’s what we are here for.

Hope to see you next year.
Thanks
Gillingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have just returned from a week at Whispering sands and feel like I have to comment for those of you looking at going with older children. The location is very out of the way which is fine if you have all the amenities as described, but this is where it lets itself down. There is pretty much nothing going on in the day apart from the net going up in pool, which I think happened 3 times in the whole week. The sunset bar, which was left to rot and was filled with rubbish had a pool table outside but looked like it has not been used in over a year. The bar that is inside downstairs is lovely but is not being used as a bar. The gym is in much need of an update and a lot of the equipment is not working. The onsite market that is there so "you do not have to leave the complex" had nothing really in not to be able to self cater, another trip to shops using the resident taxi at more cost to us. There is not enough sun canopies to go round the 40+ sun loungers and my husband was told yes they agree there was not enough but some had been broken in the wind but nothing had been done to replace them. I had spoken to them about the transfer bus that is also advertised, at a cost of £10.00 pp for the week for trips to beach/ town this was not running either. Rooms ok needed looking at as some items broke kitchen good. Pool party fun but would not say best id ever been to. Boat trip average.
All in all a disappointment when you work so hard especially in these times to afford a holiday.
I do question the reviews on Tripadvisor.
Will not recommend, will not go back.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Jacqueline P
Hi Jacqueline P,

This is almost identical to the previous review, so there is no need for me to repeat all that I have said to choclover.

What I would say though is this. You knew before you came that we were 2.5km out of town. Why then do you complain that we are very out of the way? If we did not extensively promote this advantage at every opportunity, including these replies to reviews and all our various advertisements, then yes, you would have a complaint, and rightly so; but you do not.

The reason it is an advantage is that since we have so many children staying here, it is much easier to keep them safe. We could not do this if we were on the high street, the beachfront or in the middle of town.
We do not promote ourselves as beachfront nor as being in the town. Therefore please have the courtesy to not slate us for telling you that we are located out of town. We are after all, only telling the truth and should not be pilloried for doing so.
It is a cheap and unjustified shot.

You also throw a cheap shot at other reviewers. They are entitled to their opinion just as much as you.
england
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Having had a cooling off period from getting back from Whispering sands 30/7/2013 I feel I can
now give a clear and fair review .

Very dissapointed with facilities provided .

40 degree heat approx 7 broken dirty broken small parasols to 50 sun loungers even tried to make 1 good one from bits thrown on ground floor appartment balcony ( un occupied )

Gym equipment broken or not working ( mould growing in corner of gym )

Pool table and sunset bar overgrown broken down shack ( not open just rotting )

Accomodation average our drawer bottoms were broken and wardrobe doors wouldnt shut unless forced, shower tray leaked had to mop floor after every shower very dangerous when wet, rooms not very clean.

No sports bar as advertised

1 TV channel did ask about this twice but nobody sent as promised

No entertainment round pool for teenagers

Small shop expensive and nothing to help you to be self catering, if you wanted provisions it was a taxi ride away down dirt tracks with wild dogs and builders rubbish strewn everywhere.

Food in restaurant pretty good but expensive, beer approx same price as England even the local Effes so not cheap .

Service was ok but once you had eaten it was down to you to keep getting up for drinks as waiters didn't seem interested after you had eaten.

We booked this hotel after reading all the excellent reviews I would really like to know how this hotel gets it's reviews as 5 star it is not 3 at best for accomodation and facilites 2 star at best

I will never return to Whispering sands or recommend to anyone overall run down and not as advertised on website or from reviews on tripadvisor

NEVER AGAIN

3 Thank choclover
Hi choclover,

You’re dissappointed!!!

I am too with your review because it is so over the top and full of misleading innuendo.

I am sorry but I cannot control the temperature...it is not a fault of Whispering Sands that it was 40 degrees. What a senseless comment to make. You know we had a wind storm and lost some of our parasols...we ordered more which were delivered 48 hours later. What more would you expect us to do?

Only the treadmill in the gymnasium has caused us problems this season...already repaired twice, however most people would rather use our 3g pitch to do their running or walking exercise early morning or late evening. Views are fantastic and there is much more company. I don’t believe you used either the gymnasium or the pitch so I am wondering if you are merely trying to find fault.

The sunset bar is supposed to be a shanty shack, that’s the whole idea. Anyone with a titter of wit would see this. Wooden decking with simple tables & chairs and larger than normal cushions for lounging and watching one of the most beautiful sun sets you are ever likely to see. If it was supposed to be grandiose and modern like the apartments then we would have made it so.

The sports bar is there but used only infrequently by the guests during the season as eveyone wants to take advantage of the beautiful summer evenings and stay uptop. This underground bar is used much more extensively during the winter season.

There is plenty of entertainment for the teens, but as any parent of teens will know, you do not tell them what to do, rather you follow their lead. If they want to watch a movie in the sports bar then we put a movie on; if they want to play with the “Zorbs” at the pool then we bring them out; if they want to play water polo or other games at the pool then we arrange the equipment for them; if they want to play football at night then we turn on the floodlights at the 3g pitch.

Quite often though, they just want to hang out with their new found friends and have some independance from their parents. However some parents are reluctant to allow their children this freedom and want to accompany them everywhere. No teen wants to go to a group of other teens with their parent on tow....it would not be cool. So parents, please relax and allow your children to enjoy themselves.

We are now over half way through the season so it is unfair of you in the extreme to expect that we will not have suffered some bumps and bruises. As I have said before and a point that is covered at length at the welcome meetings held every day, if anything is broken or not working just say to reception and it will be sorted asap.

I have absolutely no idea why you compare our prices to England...Whispering Sands is in Kusadasi, Turkey. If you were to do an honest comparison of our prices to those downtown then we would be seen in a very favourable light. I cannot obviously name other establishments and their prices, but we know that our prices are lower. We ensure that this is the case so that we can easily show this accusation to be a falsehood.

Your review is not that of any holidaymaker wishing to give an honest opinion of Whispering Sands. I believe anyone reading it will see it as such.

I wish you no ill-will however, and hope that perhaps the next time you do a review that you will be more honest in your assessment of that unfortunate establishment.
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Where do i start,

We arrived 2am and strait away as son as we arrived, they had staff there getting our luggage and welcoming us to the apartment complex, then midget the manager took our kids to the shop and got them crisps, and we got to go to bar for a drink.

After the first 2 days we realised our hot water was not working, so i went to reception, strait away they had a member of staff to have a look and it was broken, with in the same day there was a brand new boiler fitted.

food was great plenty of choice,

staff very helpful, even after we threw them in the pool at the pool parties LOL

they even have a taxi service. (when i have not hidden it from him) sorry Ahmet LOL

Would highly recommend this for a family holiday

Room Tip: If there is anything you need, make sure you ask, as they will help all they can.
1 Thank Rob-shelley-Hodgson
Hello Rob-Shelley-Hodgson,

You epitomise the vast majority of people who come here for a good time with their family.
You join in, you mix with your fellow guests, you come to the welcome meetings, you ask if you need something and you accept that sometimes things get broken or just stop working.

You are what makes this place tick...genuine people who understand that the staff here are working very hard to let everyone have a great time.

It was great to meet you and I hope it is not long before I see you again.
Cheers