“Be more than a customer, become a friend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Okenos Diving Centre
Wickford, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Be more than a customer, become a friend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

An absolutely fantastic dive center and amazing experience.

My husband James and I booked a holiday to Turkey with friends. We had already decided that we would book some scuba diving as this is something I have always wanted to try. I had never been diving before whereas James had tried it once many years ago in Kos. Staff at our hotel, Garden of Sun, pointed us in the direction of Okenos and said we would get a reasonably priced try dive there and a friendly service.

We went down there along with out friend Jon, who had also never dived before. When we arrived we met Sobey and Sinan the instructors, They were both very welcoming and quickly showed us lots of pictures that had been taken on dives in the area. We were told that there had been a recent storm and the reef was unsetttled but there were still plenty of fish about.

I was expecting to be ripped off and thought they would encourage us to spend as much as possible. But they advised us we just book the one dive to see if we like it and not waste money committing to any more just yet. I found this very honest and took an instant liking to them both. The following morning the three of us returned for out first dive. When we arrived we were offered tea and coffee and made to feel welcome.

We were then kitted up with the necessary equipment. We were told what to expect and what would happen and both Sinan and Sobey were happy to answer any questions that we wanted to ask. I felt at ease and very relaxed by the whole procedure even though I was about to go underwater for the first time and breath from a tank! We were not rushed into anything and instead took it at a comfortable pace.

The dive itself was brilliant. I was taken out with James first so we had an instructor with each of us at all times. Jon was then taken out separately. The water was warm and clear even though it was October the end of season and the outside temperatures had dropped considerably from the month previous. We were taken out to the reef where there were plenty of fish and a variety of species. There was never a time that there wasn't something to look at. The reef is alive with activity. I particularly enjoyed spending time in one area looking at all it has to offer including the sea urchins and inquisitive fish that follow you about. We were given a bread bag and spent time feeding the fish. Sinan took excellent photos of us both and these will be a keepsake for life.

As soon as the dive was over we both decided that we wanted to go again. After Jon went for his dive all three of us booked for a second. Due to it being quieter season time we were lucky enough to be taken out again the same day. This time we spent more time around the reef and were taught some basic skills like mask clearing and how to cope with water in your mouth. We were then given the chance in shallower water to swim independently. This was incredible. However at no time do you feel like you're being held onto or chaperoned. The instructors are always there but do not intrude or ruin the experience.

When we surfaced the second time and were excitedly talking about the fish that we had seen how we were feeling it was great to see that Sobey and Sinan felt the same way. Even though this is something they do and see nearly everyday they still get enthusiastic and you can see they are passionate about their jobs.

Two dives was not enough and two days later we were back for our third dive! Once again it was brilliant and probably the best dive. We saw so much and it felt very busy. I was given the chance to explore with Sobey and look into the reef life. It is hard to explain the feeling that diving gives but you just forget about everything in your head and have a total feeling of escapism. It is another world completely under the water and one that I am grateful to have had a glimpse at. I will never feel the same about looking at fish in an aquarium again, In their natural environment it's a lot more rewarding and quite breath taking.

Our friend Jon booked to do the course which meant he studied completed some more diving and an exam then ended up leaving Turkey with an SSI licence.

This dive center is not overpriced. It is hard to put a price on an experience that will stay with you forever. By the end of out week we were sad to leave but felt that we had not only found a fantastic new hobby but also made some friends who I would happily visit and dive with again. I hope to return in the future with a licence that will allow us to go out together and explore the beautiful waters of Turkey,

If you want to try something that will stay with you forever but you want a more personal touch then this is definitely the place for it

Thanks Sinan and Sobey for making our holiday the best we've ever had
Kind Regards James and Trina Allen

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Trina A

• Turkish first
Kelvedon, United Kingdom
“These guys made our holiday!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

This place is incredible! Never dived before and am now totally hooked. The instruction from Sinan and Sobee is 1st class, relaxed, fun and friendly. The waters are beautiful and the range of fish and underwater life is stunning. I went there to do a try dive and ended up doing 5 and getting a scuba license, only wish I could have stayed longer and dived more. You will leave this dive centre with experiences of a lifetime and new friends as well. The team there will go out of the way to ensure you have a good time, even giving up their own time to help you out. Guys thank you so much you made my holiday the best ever. I have left with a new hobby and two new friends. Oh and a tan. Will be back for sure. Scuba Jon.

northern ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Floating, Friends and Fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have just returned from holiday in turkey and for years have always wanted to try scuba diving but for one reason or another never did that's until now! I was trawling through the net to find the right place as I was very nervous and you hear lots of different things and read lots of reviews, So when I came across Okenos I contacted them with loads of questions and as I do even more questions, right form the start I felt at home with these guys and as yet had not met them, Sinan was very polite and friendly with all replies taking time to talk me through my options and indeed giving all the advice and answers I needed. I opted for the Scuba diver course and was directed to carry out the online content as this would give me more dive time! (this is a great tip), When we arrived at the resort I made my way to the dive centre located a short distance from the main beach at 3rd beach.
its is set in a really cool wood shack with hammocks bean bags all very chilled out space, I met with Sinan for the first time who was indeed a true gent he organised my pick up for the next day which I was not expecting and felt was great customer service, we talked about the content and what I would be doing et al.
The next day he picked me up as discussed and off we went, after a short demo by the lovely Hannah, I was asked to set my gear up and off we went! I will never forget that moment I breathed for the first time under water It was Awesome and so was Sinan ! kept me very relaxed and put me trough my paces for all the safety info I needed,
The next day again got picked up and this time I had a water date with a great Dutch girl called Sobey, Again we recapped all of the lasts days learning got in the water and off we went ! While doing my decent work I was on my knees about 8 m down when a big school of fish came right in front of me I must say it freaked me a bit but was one memory I will never forget, along side being taught to float in the water,

I am overwhelmed by the friends I met, the fish I seen and the sensation of floating will always be with me so thank you Sinan, Sobey and Hannah for a fantastic experience, and all I can say that if you read this and are thinking of doing the course then just do it . the service is first class and the teaching is also.

I am already planning my next trip to further my scuba training.

Visited September 2013
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I have made a number of dives with Okenos on two trips to Turkey during 2011 and 2012. I am an experienced diver (PADI MSD) and found the Okenos team to be experienced, willing, helpful, enthusiastic and above all, safety conscious. I have not dived with them yet in 2013, but am planning to do so over the next week or so. I would have no hesitation in recommending Okenos to either beginners or experienced divers. I have tried another dive service provider in Altinkum, but believe me, that was a complete horror story, particularly with regards to matters of safety. At Okenos the dive guides are experienced and know there way around the various dive sites available. In terms of Marine life, there is not as much to see when compared to the riches of the Red Sea, but that is not the fault of Okenos. It's the fault of the fishermen who have emptied the sea in that region and, pretty much throughout the Med. The Dakota wreck is interesting to visit, but don't expect to see a complete airframe and wings sitting on the sea bed. It has been there since the end of the 2nd World war! But nevertheless it's an interesting dive and some of the aircraft instrumentation, some airframe parts, engines and wheels are still evident. The new wreck, a 1960 coast guard vessel, sunk in October 2011 as an artificial reef, makes for interesting dives, but even by June 2012 it was snagged with fishing nets. If your visiting Altinkum and want to try SCUBA diving for the first time, or if you are an experienced diver, I recommend the Okenos team. You will be in safe hands.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank I M
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

This scubadive center really opened my eyes to the world of scuba diving. They have an amazing staff. And doing my openwater License there, made me really feel safe and have fun at the same time. The instructors have a high skill and experience level.
When i am not diving, i love to spend some time just haning around the site.

Visited August 2012