“Wanting to go to turkey?”
Review of Side

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Woodhall Spa
1 helpful vote
“Wanting to go to turkey?”
Reviewed October 5, 2008

When I went to side in turkey it was extroadinary weather, it reached 49.C on one day. Everyone there was polite and generous. It was too of a tourist place, maybe a few hundred tourists in a big area of the town. The only thing I was a bit mift about was how every shop or resteraunt you went past people were asking you, very politely, to come and buy something. Yes, they were polite, but when you talking with your friends and they pop out of nowhere and ask you many times to come in, it becomes pretty annoying. But other than that there are plenty of sea activities to do and you can even visit Side Old Town which is very spectacular. So I would recommend you having a holiday here in Side.

Pronounced: (See-day)

1 Thank AlphaNugget
Durham
3 helpful votes
“a great hotel”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We stayed at this great hotel during the 2nd September until the 16th September. The hotel was fantastic, very clean, maids in room everyday even sometimes leaving a sculpture made from bed linen. Our room fridge was filled with water and coke on three occasions in this time, very useful as we didn’t have to buy any drinks for the room during the stay. The shops are a little expensive in the hotel but you would expect this and it wasn’t so bad. Would recommend that you guys see the barber in hotel for a Turkish shave which ends in a flame thrower type experience. The food, well, it was truly very good, plenty of choice and some food was cooked in front of you on some nights. The cakes are to die for and truly tasty. The only two things about this hotel we didn’t like was the amount of room around the pool as all the sun beds are pretty close to each other and you don’t really want to be rubbing arms with a stranger! All the staff were good, the only sour face around was the guy who works the bar at the pool and didn’t smile much. The other thing was the silly bedding. You were given one bottom sheet and a blanket-like thing as a cover which was smaller then the bed which my wife found uncomfortable. There was also a bedspread which was quite rough. Also the hotel was about 75% German and we felt a bit in the minority, especially as everyone spoke to you first in German, not only the hotel but in town too. The entertainment team were very good and there was plenty of laughter round the pool when they were around, not too good at the evening shows though

A WORD OF WARNING. DONT BUY THE TURKISH DELIGHT THAT YOU WILL SEE EVERYWHERE IN BOXES. THEY ARE THE ONES PRINTED ALL IN ENGLISH. WE GOT 6 BOXES AND WHEN WE GOT THEM HOME THEY WERE MELTED AND ALL STUCK TOGETHER IN A STICKY MESS AND TOTALLY RUINED. NOT A BIT OF WHITE ICING SUGAR ON THEM.

1 Thank kingtutdurham
Kent
1 helpful vote
“Great hotel”
Reviewed July 30, 2008

6th July 2008 - 17th July 2008

Great hotel nice and clean and plenty to do.
We spent our family holiday hear in July 2008, we have 2 children aged 5 and 8. They had a fantastic time, there was plenty for them to do both day and night. They really enjoyed the water slides at the hotel, and the evening entertainment.
The evening entertainment was good especially when they got outside shows to come into the hotel. They also put a lot into the evening for the kids to do.
The room was nice and cleaned very well every day.
The only bad thing was your towels around the pool, if you didnt get up early enough to put your them out then you will be on the beach, which was not bad thing the beach was lovely. Its just that my kids prefered being round the pool.
The food was very good, cooked very well, but by the end of our holiday it was getting a bit bland. You must try the other restaurants on site they are very good. No complaints though.
Would definitely go back and recommend it to others.

1 Thank cawseyfamily
Inverness
72 helpful votes
“My favourite place in Turkey”
Reviewed March 1, 2008

We have been to Side twice now for a week in October. We absolutely loved the place and are planning to go back next year for two weeks in July. We stayed in the Gazipasha Star apartments. They are basic but we like to go self-catering and eat out most of the time. We have travelled extensively and there are very few places that we wish to return to. Been there, seen it , tends to be our motto. However Side has charmed us enough for us to go back a third time. There are three restaurants we would particularly recommend - The Baron , by the harbour so pricey, The Ottoman, on the square, and Trios, up a sde street.The latter was our favourite - great food at good prices and really friendly staff.Side is not as cheap as other Turkish resorts we have been to, but we were still able to get Efes beer for 2 Euros!.Go there and enjoy. The sense of history is all around you. The amphitheatre and the sunset at the Temple of Apollo just took my breath away.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
27 helpful votes
“The temple and the bar”
Reviewed December 10, 2007

Last year I had had a fairly rough time on several fronts so decided to pamper myself and my girlfriend with an all-in holiday in the sun in Belek. Unfortunately I can't stand the sun and my girlfriend managed to get food poisoning, so we really just hung around the hotel, lounging in the shade and reading piles of books.

So what do you do? Go on a day trip, that's what. Being an antiquities buff I chose a trip to Perge, Aspendos and Side. However being an antiquities buff, doing all three in one day made me feel like a Japanese tourist. Perge is a major ancient Greek city (once devastated by Alexander himself) in ruins, but largely excavated. I could easily have spent a day there alone. Aspendos is another similar city, famous for its almost entirely intact Greco-Roman theater. No idea what the rest was like, as we were bundled back into the bus after walking around the theater...

So then on to Side. And what is probably the nicest place on the Turkish riviera. Why? Because it is not just row upon row of concrete monstrosities (Belek, Antalya etc...), nor is is 2500-year old ruins that take a 6-year antiquities course to understand. Side is an ancient city that is still inhabited and is very much alive, both with locals and tourists. On the headland three columns of Apollo's temple still stand. But in the shade next to them there is a lively bar. In what is left of the bathhouse there is a little bazaar, Dionysus's temple *is* a bar. And the more modern parts are on a smaller scale than elsewhere, fitting in with the setting rather than dominating it. Fish restaurants serving the day's catch, small hotels with children paddling in the pool. You name it, Side has it. There is definitely nightlife too, fortunately separated from the area with small hotels by a little ridge and the bulk of the Roman baths.

If I were to go back to the Turkish Riviera, I would definitely go to Side. If only for being able to sit on the rocky coast or sandy beach that is public ground rather than parcelled up for hotels frequently miles away.

1 Thank dion_b

Been to Side? Share your experiences!