“Perfect Honeymoon”

Ranked #85 of 229 Hotels in Side
Oradea, Romania
“Perfect Honeymoon”
Reviewed February 10, 2010

We chose this hotel based on all the information we got from the internet and magazines, and we really enjoyed it. It is a very clean hotel, friendly personnel, beautiful rooms, plenty of good food, great pools, just perfect for honeymoon/vacation. It is a family friendly hotel, with lots of entertainment for children, all day long. The weather was perfect, with lots of sun all the time we stayed there. We would definitely go back.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank adi4joy

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
rhondda
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Just returned from a weeks holiday at this resort - never again. The hotel facilities were fab. The food was absolutely disgusting, For breakfast you would get deep fried frankfurter sausages and deep fried potato slices, all of which was cold. For lunch it was the same every day, spagg bol, chips, burgers and pizza (this was the only edible meal of the day). The evening meal varied but was also freezing cold. The pool area was spotless and there were plenty of sunbeds. The room was very nice and clean. The only thing wrong with ours was that we were given a disabled persons room which meant every time you had a shower you flooded out the bathroom. The major downside was the amount of Germans. There were only 4 other brits in our hotel and we all found that the germans were very rude, arrogant and ignorant. They spoke to the hotel staff as if they were a lower life form. I personally found this hard to tollerate. What the hell happened to manners!!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank julienwege
u.k
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My husband and I travelled to Side with our 1 yr old son, expecting a 5 star hotel and a week of relaxation and famiily fun. On arriving at the Side Mare Resort and Spa we were greeted by a rather sarcastic and rude man on reception who argued that we did not have a reservation and our paperwork for the internet booked holiday was not all present. We had been travelling for almost a day with a young child and were already tired and a little stressed and this was not the reception that we had anticipated. I wanted to walk back out of the hotel and find another more friendly hotel to spend the week in as first impressions are usually right aren't they? I haven't got the patience to be honest to even write a review on what an awful hotel this was as it was a waste of a long anticipated family holiday and a huge dissapointment. All i can say is there are much nicer hotels in the area and we ended up paying a daily fee and spent the weeks holiday with relatives staying in the can garden resort just down the road which i would definately reccommend as its classed as a 4* but in actual fact it is in every way a much nicer and friendlier hotel than the side mare resort and spa. It is certainly not family friendly - well unless you are German as nobody speaks English at all.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank lucy044
Bolton
Reviewed September 26, 2008

We've just got back from a week at the Side Mare Resort & Spa. We had a great week, but do believe that's because we are a family who can genuinely keep ourselves occupied. The hotel is beautiful and clean - the pool is one of the cleanest I have ever seen and we have been to many many places.

Please note that the clientèle for this hotel are 98% Germans, with 99% of staff not being able to speak English. The music, announcements at the pool and entertainment is all in German, so you don't know what is being said (unless of course you speak German). The entertainers tried their best to involve you, but as they didn't speak German they simply couldn't.

There is little entertainment on in the evenings. There is an amphitheater, but it is the German reps who do this and they do a dance for one night, then a play for another - it's all in German. They have a club for young children where at 8.30pm they take them to the amphitheater and sing songs in a circle. Again, all the songs are in German.

It reminded us of Tunisia, if you have ever been there. Most people just sat around the lobby bars each night, playing cards and taking advantage, of course, of the all inclusive drinks. Again, due to the other guests being German, there was no interaction. Cocktails and orange juice are not included in the all inclusive range.

On one night, we managed to get invited on stage to join in a game and we did really bad, but that made the Germans laugh so much that they tried their best to communicate with us that night and we all sat together at a table, where they asked us to say things in English and we asked them to say things in German. That was a really really good night - still just sat in the bar, but was much better than playing cards, which we had done lots of! We swapped email addresses and are going to try and keep the communication up.

The food is delicious. On the first day, we were so pleased with the food. We soon came to realise that it is the same food every day, but to us that didn't matter because we tend to stick to what we like anyway and there is so much variety that you could almost choose different things if you wanted to each day. They have chicken, steak, fish, plus much more, together with lots of vegetables and salad - the dessert table is so big with so much choice, even the likes of me who doesn't like too much desserts, managed to have such a variety.

The lunch menu is very limited. Spaghetti bolognese, Turkish pizza, chicken pieces and some small meat pieces that we put on buns as burgers. This is the same every day.

Ice cream is served 4pm to 5pm each day, and then is available on an as much as you can eat basis between 7pm and 9pm, which is when dinner is served.

The waiters in the restaurant are lovely and very keen to communicate with you. We only ever ordered our first drink and then they kept coming exactly the same - they always kept us topped up.

The pool bar staff I am afraid to say were not so nice. If you have teenage girls (as we do), they were very keen in getting their attention. They followed them about and kept kissing their hands and asking to meet them later. One of our daughters is 15 years old and didn't like this, so when they came to try and kiss her hand, she said no thank you. They didn't like this but she couldn't see any way of getting them to stop. Once they realised the girls weren't interested, they turned quite rude and wouldn't serve them at the bar (non alcoholic) and often made a hand signal to them, which means go away. They weren't the only ones this happened to - in the end despite the fact that I have never complained on any of my holidays before as it generally isn't my style, I had to go to reception and complain. I had to speak to the Manager as none of the reception staff spoke English - only the Manager. He explained how he had had a few similar complaints and was dealing with it, so maybe he does deal with this point and by the time you go on your holiday, this is a historical point.

I would recommend the Turkish Bath & Spa. For 30 euros (they may try and ask for 35, but they will accept 30), you get a full Turkish Bath, an all over massage and a facial. We went twice! Be careful not to go if you have sunburn though because part of the Turkish bath is for them to scrub your body all over with a rough mitt and I can imagine that would hurt if you are burnt!

The weather was gorgeous - we had one rainy day but that's because we went in September. They are expecting good weather until the end of October, with possibly one rainy day per week as we had.

The towns around are lovely - there's lots of shopping to be done. You get some who try and get you into their shops, but many of them leave you to wander.

There are lots of excursions and I would recommend that you make sure your trips are taken out with your reps, or through Antalya. I would not get any from the beach as people were complaining that their boat trips weren't so good and when you asked how they got them, they were all on the beach.

Unfortunately I can't say how the trips are because this was a week of relaxation for us as we had been to America in August and that was just so hectic, we needed a good relax.

The beach isn't the cleanest beach in the world I was sad to see, and the seaweed that gets washed up each night, you could see had just been left to build up without being cleaned. There were lots of sun beds though. The sea was blue and I would mark it as average.

There is transport from the Side Mare to another Side Mare hotel that is situated on the beach. When you go, you can eat and drink in the all inclusive range at the pool bar that is on the beach as long as you show your all inclusive band, that was good.

The pool was freezing cold. It was great to jump into when you were too hot from the sun, but you didn't see people staying in and playing in the pool, again like usually is the case abroad. Rather people would jump in, cool off for a couple of minutes and then get out shivering. It reminded me of a fresh water lake that I went to once at the Dominican Republic.

The slides and wave pool are great. They aren't on all day long, but when they are, they don't get really full and so you can go on them over and over again. Young to old all used them.

The wave pool is on twice per day, but again is a good wave pool, so I would recommend it.

Overall, we had a great week's holiday and felt like we were staying in a 5 star complex. If they asked us what things needed improving, I would say the pool bar staff, the entertainment and to make sure that English is spoken by the staff/entertainers. I wouldn't change anything else.

If you have booked to go to this hotel, you will have a good time, it really is a lovely hotel. I would just say that if you find the non-English speaking environment a bit much, then take yourself off into Antalya as you will meet more English people.

The Galley Family

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Non-English speaking staff, so couldn't communicate
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank thegalleys
Devon
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I have recently returned from the Side Mare Resort and Spa Hotel after spending a week there with my friend.  We are both 20 years old and wanted a relaxing and indulgent holiday with lots of sun.  The weather was extremely hot, around 40 degrees centigrade most days.  We booked with Monster Travel.When we arrived at the hotel after around 10 hours of travelling over night, we were extremely tired and hot and just wanted to go to sleep in a cool room.  However, we soon found out that the air-conditioning was not working properly and our room was sweltering.  I promptly complained to a receptionist, who shoved a piece of paper in my face with the times of air-conditioning as it is centrally controlled.  Therefore, our room was only cool between the times of 6.30-7.30 am; 15.00-19.00pm; 22.00pm-1.00am (this was not mentioned in the hotel description).  As our room was on the top floor, it heated up very quickly between these times, which meant that we often woke in the night as it was so hot.  This became a major flaw in my opinion, as sufficient air-con is required in such heat.Nevertheless, our room was clean and quite spacious and we had a pool view which was lovely in the evenings.  The fridge wasn’t particularly effective, but generally kept our water cool.  As mentioned in a previous review, there is only one key which is welded to the fob which controls the AC, this can become slightly frustrating.The pool area was always kept clean and tidy, with plenty of sun beds available; and despite the hotel being full of Germans there didn’t seem to be the normal morning rush to reserve beds and umbrellas.  The hotel itself is maintained to quite a high standard, and was also always clean.  I would highly recommend the Turkish Bath in the wellness centre, for £25 each we both had the traditional Turkish bath, full body massage, facial and facial massage; it was lovely and has made my tan much deeper!As for the food, it was directed towards the German guests, and consisted of a hell of a lot of bread and carbs (having seen the food, we weren’t surprised that many of the guests were on the larger side of life!!)  There was a good selection of hot foods and salads, however not to the same standard of 4* Spanish hotels that I have previously stayed in.  The fruit was always fresh, but never strayed away from water & honey dew melon, grapes, apples, pears, and peaches; this became repetitive after a few days of having them at all 3 meals.  Another point is that all of the food labels are written in German, which turned food choices into a bit of a guessing game.  The A La Carte restaurant was lovely, and the waiter Ali made it even nicer. The ice creams are delicious, along with the Turkish pancakes that are served by the pool.The members of staff are mostly nice, although their English is not of the same standard as their German.  However, I think they were quite happy to have English guests for a change, and tried to accommodate us, especially in the restaurant.  Also, If you can, speak to Oscar one of the photographers, he is hilarious!All together this is a nice hotel with both positives and negatives; in my opinion, it is not worthy of its 5* status, and is nearer to a 4* hotel.  Having said all of this, I would not return to Turkey again; this is because, as a young woman I felt harassed and hassled by the Turkish men every single time I left the hotel.

• Liked — The cleanliness and interior design
  • Disliked — Not have 24/7 air con in room, and the Steps song playing all day every day... arrrgggghhh!!!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank KateDevon
Flintshire
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We have just returned after two weeks from the Side Mare Resort and Spar.
The hotel was clean, the room was well equipped and we soon settled into our holiday.
When you book in you will have just one room key, I suppose it’s to stop you leaving the air conditioning on in your room the door key is welded to the key fob (not kidding).
It became clear to us on the first day that the hotel was almost entirely German orientated.
The animation team were told that there were some English guests staying and they should also speak in English during the shows. To be fair they did for the first night but that was it, for the rest of the holiday we felt excluded.
The main pool area was dirty and slippery under foot, none of the pools being cleaned while we stayed. The hotel was rated as 5 stars but sadly it was not. One hotel rule was you had to keep your hotel pool towel for three days before changing it for a clean one. After two days of sweating and suntan lotion they were smelly and grubby.
There are quite a few sun loungers to be had around the pool but you will need to get up early if you know what I mean. The sun parasols were in poor condition with guests fighting over them which was funny to watch.
The food was ok but limited with the drawback of not knowing what you were eating due to all the menus being in German. The dining room get very full and it can be quite an ordeal to get a table.
You will be charged 12 Euros a week for your room safe and charged if you use your mini bar.
The ice cream was seved at 16:00 but be prepared to start to queue at 15:30 a sad pathetic sight to see really.
The hotel has two other sister hotels, The Side Mare Aqua and the Side Mare Classic. The Aqua is situated behind the Resort and Spar while the Classic is on the beach. We were told that guests can use the facilities of the Aqua and visa versa. The drawback is you cannot eat or drink in another hotel without paying. The Classic on the beach and is limited in space, you are not allowed to use the hotel facilities at all but you can eat and drink at the beach dining area and use the sun loungers for free.
All in all I would not recommend this hotel to you unless you are German.

• Liked — Waiting staff really tried hard to be friendly
  • Disliked — English holiday makers were not catered for
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank postmortemrob
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 22, 2008

What can I say except......this is a fantastic hotel. My husband & I had a great holiday even with our 4 year old son in tow. What a great place to chill out for a week, wish we had stayed there for 3 weeks and it made no difference to us that we were surrounded by Germans ( pardon the pun ). We were on a family holiday and one good thing about the Germans is they never seem to get blind drunk and cause a scene........unlike some Nationalities that we wont mention.
The food was FAB, the hotel was clean and the Turkish Vodka in a glass not a plastic cup was not too bad either.
We are trying to book again for next week but unfortunately there does not seem to be any availability.
Will go back ASAP

• Liked — Food, Facilities & Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Steps 5678 played at least 5678 times a day !!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank ElvisEdinburgh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Side
Hotel Villa Side Residence
#86 of 229 in Side
Novum Garden Side
Novum Garden Side
#12 of 40 in Colakli

Been to Side Mare Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!