“Lovely Hotel bar staff let it down”

Side Prenses Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #38 of 227 Hotels in Side
York, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel bar staff let it down”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Lovely clean big hotel, has everything you could want (except does not do an Irish cream on the all inclusive :-( travellers are Mostly Germans but did not bother us, Lovely weather for October, 28 degrees. Very nice resort.
Two things let this hotel down and that is poor nightly entertainment and the rude and bad mannered bar staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank debbiesamYork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Preston, England
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Just got back from a lovely week at the Side Prenses. If you are in Side looking at the bay section, you'll see the commanding picture of the hotel. It's only 2TL away by Dolmus, or a 20 minute walk along the beach.
Check in was easy. We were seated, details taken, luggage taken to the room. Brief description in the room of the facilities available. Air conditioning, excellent shower, nice balcony, although the view wasn't so great.
It's not all complimentary. If you want a decent orange juice, you have to pay 8 Euros. Oh yes, Side is an extended territory of Germany. Standards are excellent, people are polite, and you're negotiating skills at the markets are better if you have a rudimentary knowledge of Deutsch.
We asked the holiday company for a low floor, but we're given the top floor. It didn't matter, however, because the hotel has glass lifts. Ordinary lifts cause problems because of fear of enclosed spaces, but glass lifts are fine.
You have to be early to get a decent sunbed. Lots of unoccupied ones with lilos on them, but still plenty of them for all to use.
If you are using the slides, make sure you only use them when the water is running. They're signed as to when the water slides can be used.
Lunch is either the main restaurant, or the pool, or the beach. Didn't fancy the beach though, as it appeared to be mostly fast food. Pool restaurant and the main have loads of different types of salads. Great stuff.
Evening meals for us were at the main restaurant. We had an excellent variety of various international foods reflecting the Scandinavian, Turkish, British, German, Ukranian and Russian diners. There are Turkish and Italian a la carte restaurants, but the list was long and we could only get in to the italian. We were provided with enough food for a family of four, each. Five courses!
There's a large feature at the back of the hotel which is the "glass" lift to the beach (200 yards walk). On top of this is a viewing room which also doubles as the "Wine House". I was rather shocked at the prices for decent wines. you get used to restaurant prices in this country being four times the price of Sainsburys, but these were 40 Euros for a decent white. We did try a 15 Euro Turkish wine, but to me it was little different to the complimentary wine served throughout the hotel. Plenty of people buying the wine, though, so must just be me who is cautious about my spending.
Towels are from the main Gym and Turkish Bath section. We paid £20 deposit for two towel cards, which we got back at the end of the holiday.
There's shops in the hotel and in the middle of Side. Best to shop around and look at the different prices of all of the different establishments. You could try Kumkoy if you want jewellery as well. if you want clothing you could try walking outside the hotel via the beach glass lift where there's a street of hardly used shops with lower prices for some things.
We had a great time. We didn't use much of the Entertainment Team, but they can be seen all of the time interacting with the people who want that kind of thing. Shows at night are mainly for children and youths, although the Turkish dancing was good.
It's a quiet area of Side, so noise is limited, and sleep quality was excellent. Air conditioning does help.
Yes, we had a great time and i could waffle on about what a pleasant week it was. Just please don't go so that the price i pay next year for the holiday won't be too expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the Wine House. That way you get the sun in the evening.
2 Thank Brommers
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Just returned after spending 11 nights at Side Prenses, it was both my husbands (60th) and my birthday while we were there, I had emailed asking for a seaview room but was not as lucky as a previous reviewer. We arrived at 11pm and I asked if our room had a seaview and was told that First Choice rooms were the cheapest in the hotel and did not have a seaview. I booked the holiday online and was not given the option to upgrade rooms otherwise I would have done then. We were given a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the main road, it was a decent sized room with a nice bathroom and spotlessly clean so we decided we would unpack and not ask for a move.

The reception staff on duty when we checked in were not very friendly or welcoming and thankfully we did not have to have any dealings with them and in fact at the 'welcome' meeting Conor the rep advised if anyone had any problems to go to him and he would liaise with the reception staff as they were not always very helpful.

On our first morning when my husband took a shower the floor ended up swimming in water, the only way to avoid this happening was to use the shower spray by hand not above your head, also the toilet was quite high and when I sat on it my feet did not touch the floor, other guests we spoke to had the same problem (that's Turkish workmanships for you) You would not expect this for a supposedly 5 star hotel.

There was lots of variety in the restaurant and the food was acceptable, there were some nice friendly waiters, a couple of whom asked if we could change euro coins for notes, we were never approached by any of them asking for tips.

The bar staff were quite friendly and we always finished the eveing off in the Bistro bar, Hasan who worked that bar was very firendly, polite and efficient.

All areas of the hotel was spotllessly clean. On the whole we enjoyed our stay but don't think we would return to this hotel or in fact Side again, we prefer the Ichmeler/Olu Deniz area.

2 Thank Pud12344
Fillongley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We returned from a week here on Friday 12th October. We arrived at 4am to what looked to be a very impressive foyer and very large hotel. We were allocated a disabled room on the ground floor right next to the lift. We are not disabled! I went back to reception to ask for another room to be told to return in the morning. Advise on here had indicated that the management are happy to move you if you are unhappy with your room....rubbish!! We returned the next morning, where we had something of a disagreement with the manager as to whether our room was disabled or not. Spoke to Connor the rep, who spoke to the manager. He ushers us into his office, allocates a new room and tells us to come back later. When we arrive back after a walk into Side town at 5pm we're told the room has been given to someone else because we were gone too long. Appallingly, the manager and his front of house team seem to think it perfectly acceptable to have a stand up shouting match in the reception with their customer. I was more than dismayed!! We were told to return again the next day - we hadn't even unpacked by this point and had been there 2 nights! Eventually we were given a room on the 3rd floor facing the road. It was comfortable and clean.
The restaurant is an experience in itself. Although there is a wide choice of food on offer, little of it was warm and the dinner service is short at only 2 hours between 7pm and 9pm. We saw the 'waiters' turning off the hot plates that keep the food hot at 7.45pm - if you were there any time after this the food wasn't even luke warm. The hotel is populated mainly by Germans who are a fairly arrogant bunch. And like to fill their plates in one go...starter, main and puds all piled high! I agree with a previous review saying that they like you to eat and go, no sitting chatting between courses or enjoying your dinner.Even simple things like the dreadful self service coffee from the machines in the restaurant says such a lot about this hotel!
One day we had torrential rain and so the terrace was out of use. All the tables were bought inside and it generally was like a school canteen...the next evening we opted to eat out in a restaurant on the promenade. 3 courses and a bottle of wine for 2 cost us about £30. Best food we had all week!! The other thing we found quite disrespectful were the waiters in the restaurant who approach you with change in their hands asking for tips. I've never experienced that anywhere else we've stayed. Apart from a young girl who served in the lobby bar and a couple of lads that served in the bistro bar who were chatty and smily, the rest of the staff appeared surly, brusque and rude. Maybe Germans tip all the time?!
The pools were very cold and the sunbeds are very crammed in - the same on the small section of 'private' beach. You have to leave a deposit if you want beach towels. Another first for us.
Side as a resort is very German orientated with all menus in German and euro pricing. We did find in some of the bars and shops that once they knew we were English they were friendly and chatty.
We went for a last glimpse of sunshine before winter, which we got. However, the beginning part of our holiday was marred with stressing over changing rooms. Well, not the room change, but the unbelievable attitude of the manager and his team!
Connor was trying to be helpful, but I think suffers with an ability to say lots and do little. He did secure us a late checkout at 9pm for the trouble of the room move. Told me he had cleared it with reception and they knew about it...when we went back to the room at 5pm the key didn't work. My partner explained again about the 9pm checkout, but they called us at 7pm to tell us we were late for our 6pm checkout!!!
All in all - clean and comfortable room. Great bed, aircon ok, shower average, toilets are a long way up the wall and very high (if you're small like me, your feet will be off the ground when you sit on it!). Restaurant very average and lots of food was recycled - better than wasting it, although one dish was labelled 'recycling of mixed'....whatever that might be?! The team of staff are the biggest let down as they were really very rude.No real 'animation' team as we could see. Even the aquarobics was in German!!
I fully appreciate that 5 star at home and 5 star in other parts of the world are very different, but even so, the little things can make a huge difference - a smile, a decent cup of coffee, and being treated with respect as the customer...I've stayed in 3 star hotels and received 5 star service. It was the other way round here :-(

2 Thank Laura M
Cheshire
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed on the 6th Floor lovely rooms, 2 balconies outlook not too good not everybody can have a pool view, we were told the Russians and Germans paid more than the Brits so had a better choice of room. Reception staff not too friendly, when we arrived we handed passports and booking form over, and had to sit and wait while they decided which room to put us, I could'nt understand why rooms were not already allocated. Plenty to eat in the restaurant all different types of food available, also at the pool snackbar the same, coffee and all drinks available all day. definately recommend the Turkish restaurant lovely food well presented, dont eat too much during the day before you go as you will not enjoy the 6 courses. The beach was great pity only a small private one all deckchairs packed too tightly, we used to go down about 4pm a little quietier then. Pool fantastic same depth all the way round which suited me as I am not a great swimmer. Antalia airport fantastic, all airconditioned lovely shops very quick turnaround both ways. Only downside that I could think of was pool and beach towels, you payed in reception they give you a card, which you took to the spa, they gave you towels which lasted all week, if you wanted them cleaned you went back to the spa paid a small fee for washing. When you took them back after the week you got your money back less the cleaning costs. They informed us that it had to be done this way as too many towels had got pinched this season. other than that it waa a good holiday.

Room Tip: Unfortunatey we had no choice to change our rooms as the hotel was full, a couple booked in the same...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Heulwyn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at the Side Prenses for a week from the 28th of September 2012.

In the very impressive lobby were two drink dispensing machines that we were invited to use while they allocated us rooms. We expected cold fruit juice, so were terribly disappointed when we discovered they contained luke warm squash. A bad first impression.

Our room was airy and a decent size, the air conditioning was efficient and quiet. It was kept very clean by a friendly maid who folded the towels like swans, and love hearts, and covered them with flowers. A very nice touch.

We had pool and (distant) sea views. When we booked I had specifically asked for a bath-tub, and I was assured there would be one. There was not. The receptionist told me that none of the rooms have a tub.

There is no wi- fi in the bedrooms, however it is available in reception. TIP if you find the right spot you can get wi -fi outside the lobby bar on the terrace.

There was a safe in the room that was simple to use and large enough to accommodate most laptops. We had a small balcony. Our friends were given a huge room. the furniture and their kingsize bed looked lost in it. It was on a corner of the building and had a terrace the size of an average small garden with sun loungers, an umbrella, and fantastic sea and land views. Our party of eight congregated there when we wanted to be together and to have peace and quiet.

The brochures say there are both Turkish and Italian a la carte restaurants. In fact there are no al la carte restaurants. Conor the rep advised us to book early as it is free for the first visit. We chose the 'Italian'. Neither 'restaurant' can be open at the same time as they share a function room close to the pool. They are not restaurants and do not have a menu, kitchen, or chef. We believe the food came from the buffet kitchen. It was not hot when it arrived at the table. When you book you choose either the ‘Italian’ or Turkish’, and whether you want to eat fish or chicken. This gives you a false sense of security and adds to the disappointment.

I don't think the management are aware of what a la carte means. There was no menu. When we arrived the table was laid and there were some dishes containing sliced tomatoes and cheese, beans, etc., there was a side plate with a slice of fish to share. The second course was called minestrone soup. It was a vague tasteless imitation. There was plenty of bread. The main course, chicken was dry, it was not quartered but randomly chopped and served in a tasteless sauce. The fish resembled a small trout it was dry and full of bones. The best part was the pudding, this was the only time you were given a choice, ice cream or tiramisu. All of us chose the ice cream. I have saved the worst part until last. You are given a wine only menu when you sit down, that is the first time that you are aware that you have to pay for your drinks here. We started with what was described as Pino Grigio. It was served warm. When we complained they offered to put ice in it!!!! The red wine said Valpolicella on the label. neither tasted like the wines produced in Italy. To add insult to injury this cheap awful wine was €40 a bottle!!!! Shame on you Conor for recommending this.

Overall the food in the buffet was good. There was something for everyone to eat. Nobody need go hungry. The waiters, who were meant to serve you drinks in the restaurant, were conspicuous by their absence. We usually only managed to get one glass of wine with our meal. It was obvious that they did not want to encourage lingerers in the restaurant. Eat and go was the message we got loud and clear. I had read that they were more attentive to Germans and Russians. We found both staff and fellow guests were all friendly regardless of nationality.

None of the pools are heated. I tried the indoor pool once, I did not stay in for long. It was freezing. I would have thought a spa hotel would have heated the inside pool. The outside pool was not quite as cold, but too cold for me. The sea however was perfect. We found enough loungers on the beach, but then we didn't go down until after lunch.

The food in the beach bar is not good. While I was waiting I saw a waiter eating the chicken. When our friends arrived to eat there was no chicken left, only fatty burgers! The food in the pool bar was ok, and a lady by the pool bar made flat bread filled with meat and veg that tasted delicious. In the afternoon a lad made waffles, spoilt for me by the inferior quality sauces they offered. A young lad dished out ice cream each afternoon for an hour or so.He had three flavours, chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, but you did not get a choice because he insisted on using up one carton before opening another.

If you are used to good coffee you will have withdrawal symptoms. There is only Nescafé, or coffee(?) from a machine that tastes overwhelming of 'Coffeemate'. You can have Turkish coffee in the lobby bar but the standard varies, it can be good but it is according to who makes it.

Beware the currency exchange office opposite the hotel. I was given 12€ short. When I noticed he become flummoxed and gave me my money back.

We went on an organized trip. A boat round the bay and down the river culminating in a visit to Manavgat market. We were herded on to a very crowded boat. Our party was last on so there were no tables left and we had to sit on sideway facing benches. There was a notice saying you were not allowed to bring your own drink. A young girl opened a bottle of coke and before she got it to her mouth it was snatched away from her by a crew member.

The boat stopped and the crew barbecued some fish and chicken. It was much tastier than the 'a la carte' chicken and fish at the hotel, but the rice and salad served with it was incredibly over salted. Perhaps to encourage you to buy more drinks?

Beware how much you spend for the boat trip. We paid 19€ each, but others paid €75 for a couple and one young child. The premise that you would see dolphins and turtles was half fulfilled. There were turtles .

From the boat we were herded on to buses and coaches and taken to the market. We had to stand on the overcrowded coach. We tried to disembark when we realised there were no more seats, but before we could do so the bus took off. We were thrown around and it was a dangerous and very unpleasant experience.

We visited Manavgat market a few days later and we took a taxi. We were charged 10€ between four of us. Check the price before you get in, one guest was charged €13 for the same journey, an extra €6 on the round trip. There is a bus opposite the hotel that will take you to Side or Manavgat but if there are four of you it is not too expensive and far more comfortable to travel by taxi as the buses can get very crowded.

We thought that the live singers at the hotel were very talented musicians and we enjoyed their performances.. We did not join in many activities but were discreetly made aware of what was going on which was good. We were never hustled inside or outside the hotel.

One of our party had three massages at the hotel which he described as 'superb'.

On the day we left ( the coach was picking us up between 1 and 1.30) we made up a couple of rolls to take with us to the airport ( we had read this was acceptable), however we were watched, then followed by a waiter who stopped us, we felt like naughty children, and it was very embarrassing. The restaurant manager stood by the door gesturing across at the waiter, telling him what to do. The manager refused to let us take rolls out of the restaurant. He said we either eat them in the restaurant, or left them there. We were worried that if we took the time to eat there we might miss the bus, so we left them.

We bought a snack at the airport which was the worst airport food we have eaten anywhere in the world so far.

In conclusion the hotel building is impressive. The foyer is definitely 5 star, though I would rate the rest of the hotel as 3 star. There is no room service, no mini bar (there was a fridge with water), there were no tissues in the bathroom, no bath, no in room wi-fi. There are no al la carte restaurants. The rooms are fine and well furnished (except the pillows which we all found very hard), the staff (except perhaps the restaurant manager) were all kind and friendly whatever nationality you were. The food was generally good, and there was a huge choice. The free local drinks were ok however you could pay for branded drinks if you preferred. The bar staff were amiable. The hotel is minutes from the beach and an easy twenty minute stroll in to Side along the esplanade. I would have liked a bath tub and wi fi in my room, but for what we paid (less than £600 including the flight) we could not complain. It was incredible value . In fact we don't know how they do it for that price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank fbis
northampton
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from 10 lovely days in the Side Prenses Resort and Spa.

The hotel is excellent and the best by far of the Turkish/Tunisian 5 star resorts we have stayed in (remember its not a UK 5 star) It is in a great location within walking distance of the harbour and ruins along the seafront. The hotel is a short walk from the beach down a hill between hotels. The beach was ridiculously crowded so we didn't visit and preferred the gorgeous pool.

The food is of a very high standard with waiter service at lunch and dinner for drinks (we only tipped on the last night so you don't have to tip all the time). We never struggled to find something to eat (and enjoy) and the Turkish A La Carte (we got one free visit during our stay) was gorgeous (we avoided the expensive wine and stuck with the normal stuff). 6 courses and the lamb was delicious (and I hate lamb). The Italian was apparently not so nice so glad we chose the Turkish.

We had an amazing twin room, very quiet and more than we could have expected. Great view and plenty of space. Limited TV channels but who cares as we only slept and change in there. The air con was powerful and was even too cold for me when on max which has never happened. The maid changed our towels when we left them on the floor (who needs a clean towel every day?) and kept the room clean and put fresh water in the fridge everyday. Our safe was free to use with First Choice but otherwise is 2€ per day. You can get towels for a 20€ deposit per person but they don't appear to be changed each day like we have seen before (you had to pay 2 liras each time you wanted them changed - we had taken our own so this was told to us by others).

The entertainment was better than in previous hotels but you only get out what you put in. We joined in and had a great laugh especially watching the very competitive water volleyball every day. We made friends with a few people which made it more fun. The entertainment team were very tactile, 2 females without partners present seemed to mean we were fair game even though we made it very clear their attention was not required. The waiters were the same but were very hostile when we told them we did not want to spend time outside of the hotel with them the ents team took our rebuttal well and remained friendly. We have visited many hotels like this one and find the whole adoration (honestly I am not exaggerating you have to see it to believe it) quite irritating, I remain polite but firm with them (apparently I should fall in love with them - our rep even asked if we'd been tortured by them which really sums it up) and just take it on the chin.

We went on 3 trips through First Choice. A Turkish spa, Manavgat waterfall and Alanya. The spa and Alanya were fabulous. Manavgat was a huge waste of money and such a let down considering the hype. We weren't alone in thinking this but whoever does the marketing for that one deserves an award. Alanya is beautiful. The castle and caves were a real treat and the lunch and harbour were fantastic. This is not a very well marketed trip (just passed over in the meeting) but it was definitely worth the money. Please treat yourself to the spa at the beginning of your holiday (avoid the hotel one unless you can negotiate a similar price but most people paid double the price we did for the same thing).

The only negative was all the German - not the people I might add they were fine - just the language. Everyone speaks German first and assumes you are German. I try to speak the language wherever I go but found the constant German a bit grating. I like picking up the local language but couldn't here. Also Side town is very orientated towards the Germans with most prices in Euros as standard which we hadn't experienced in Turkey before.

All in all an excellent holiday and as my friend said "good luck topping this one next year".

• Stayed September 2012