“Fantastic Relaxing Holiday”

Paloma Oceana Resort
Ranked #10 of 229 Hotels in Side
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We are just back from a fantastic two week holiday at this great Resort. We only booked 6 weeks prior to departure and I was a little bit apprehensive but on arrival my worries disappeared.
We arrived at 6am very tired and was greeted by friendly reception and porter who quickly showed us to our room pointing out the restaurant on the way!
The room was on the ground floor overlooking the main swimming pool. It was a good size for the 3 of us and we were surprised that my daughter had an actual bed instead of the usual camp bed. They were the comfiest beds we have ever experienced in our 6th year to Turkey. There was plenty of storage space and cupboards and a good size toilet with a great walk in shower, Air conditioning and safe box (which you DONT have to pay extra for) and a well stocked mini bar made this a very clean pleasant room for our stay. There was daily maid service and towel change was great. They work very hard to keep the place spotless.
The swimming pool was of a good size and there was also a smaller pool with 2 slides (great for little kids and big kids!). My only complaint was the 'bagging' of sunbeds. Some people must get up at 4am just to reserve a sunbed!
We ended up spending a good bit our time on the beautiful beach. Plenty of sunbeds and shades there plus space around each one (not jam packed as is often the case). The beach was clean, the water was warm and there was a great beach bar doing fantastic snacks and drinks all day long. The crepe lady was pretty good too!
Animation team at Paloma beach is amazing. They are a great bunch of people who work from morning till night including everyone off all ages in the many activities: water polo, darts, archery. table tennis, water aerobics, yoga, step aerobics to name but a few.
Our daughter went to their amazing Polly Kids club. Jonny and Seren who looked after the children there are 2 of the hardest working children's reps I have ever come across. 2 sessions daily 10 - 12.30 and 3 till 5.30. Activities were well planned pirate date, indiana day, banana boat trip, kite flying, beach day (just a small selection of lots more!) Every day our daughter was happy to go and Jonny and Seren always had big smiles and hugs for all the children. It really made our daughters holiday.
Some evenings they even took all the kids to their own table in the restaurant which was lovely!
The food was delicious and well presented in a spotless restaurant. There is something for everyone. They even have some of their own organic products! Waiters were superb and always topping up your wine glass!
The entertainment was really good in the evening with varied shows of a good quality. Their was always a kids disco before which the children enjoyed. One evening the Plly Kids club done a show with all the children. This was great fun. The show finished around 1030 and sometimes there was live music in the bar area until midnight, Then it all goes quiet - lovely - except their is a disco for those who have any energy left.
We had the beach bbq one evening with our own bbq at the table and this one of highlights.
Paloma beach is a very safe, very friendly and an ideal resort for families. They are refurbishing for 2012 and it looks just out of this world.
We will certainly consider going back and if there is anything I haven't covered in this review feel free to email me!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Lizamac3

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Having read one of the previous reviews on this site on the day I was due to fly to Paloma Beach Resort, I was a little apprehensive.... however, all worries disappeared once we'd got into the resort.

To set the scene, single dad with two kids (girl 12, boy 15) first holiday abroad for 12 years - previous summers we were to be found in a tent in soggy Cornwall!

We got to the resort at 3am, quickly checked in and shown to our room via the restaurant. We were allocated room 826, overlooking the main pool. Marble floor, double bed, single bed and a chair that converted to a single bed. Bath room was clean, sink, toilet and decent sized shower (I'm 6'3"!). Small balcony, containing two plastic chairs and a small table.

After a few hours sleep, we showered and ventured out to explore our new home for a week. Up for breakfast, we were astounded by the amount of food available, something that never ceased to amaze me. As we discovered, food was available EVERYWHERE at most times of the day - be it in the restaurant or at one of the bars. All the food was well prepared and well presented with choices available to suite palates of all ages and tastes.

Whether it was pancakes at 12, cooked fresh roast chicken at 1.30, jacket potates at 4, we were never hungry. For dinner, we ate at the restaurant and generally ate in the outside seating area where the food was even more plentiful - pasta dishes cooked for you fresh, grilled meat, rice dishes, plenty of fish.... the works. Whilst I can appreciate some comments about the food being "samey" day in day out, there was enough choice for us for seven days of eating without boredom setting in.

There were plenty of activities to do regardless of your age - from yoga in the morning to more strenuous excersise in an afternoon - beach volleyball, football and water polo. At this point I think its a good time to mention those Brits (of which there were plenty at the resort) that made a single dad and his kids feel very welcome - Kevin, Scott, Barry, Richard, Bruno and their respective other halves and families, as well as Emma and her family and Victoria and her kids. Friends that were made during some hectic water polos games - we all had a great laugh playing hard and drinking.. .well, not so hard even though its was all free! Yes, there were plenty of Germans, Russians etc there too, but at no point did the British feel pushed out (by either the foreign guests or the resort staff) and we certainly weren't treated as 5th class citizens during announcements...

If I had to pick any negatives - I could hear the disco from my room - music played til around two in the morning, although it never seemed to disturb the kids sleep nor mine. Also, comments about the sun beds being taken very early are true too, but if you can't beat them get outta bed early and join them!

As mentioned in other reviews, the resort is due a rebuild during the closed season - it looks a big project to complete in 6 months and I'm not sure I'd book for next year, it may be two years before it sees me and my family again. Based on the plans and the room that I saw, it will be a fantastic resort though. If you've booked for next year you shouldn't be disappointed providing its completed.

Other stuff that have already been mentioned in previous reviews - the beach is fab, plenty of sunbeds available around, with plenty of space between plots. The "professional" evening acts were excellent, the Paloma-led evening shows were quite poor....I'd suggest a trip into Kumkoy or Side on those nights!

Finally, I changed most of my Sterling in Turkey, getting 2.70 TL to the £1. I also used Abdullah (you can find his number in some of the Forum postings) to book the Turkish bath (25 Euros per person for 2.5 hours - sauna, bath, massage, facial...) - we went to Kumkoy Wellness Centre, taxi'd to and from the door - if you google it, you could book direct.

All in all, we had a great holiday... We will be back (just not next year!)

Richard, Azura and Matthew.

Room Tip: Get up early if you want to secure sunbeds round the pool. Try avoid the hotel rooms - they are mor...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BCFC56-YNWA
Reviewed August 6, 2011

From the moment we arrived to moment we left the place rocked thanks to the work of their excellent staff.
On day 1 we met the Palomotion team lead by Hakan. They entertained us from 10am to Midnight every day without fail.
Serhan was in charge of the sports team who worked tirelessly throughout the day getting everyone involved in the many sports activities. My children loved the enthusiasm of Oscar, Godze and Basak who laid on Waterpolo, Beach Volleyball, Airgun, Boccia, Darts and a pool game each lunchtime.
My wife got to do Aquafit, Step, Pilates, Yoga with Godze, Basak and Marina which she loved thanks mainly to their motivation to get people to do a workout in that heat!!!
Jonny and the rest of the Palomotion team worked with the smaller children on activities all day and although my kids were to old to do this the smiles on all those children doing it told me that it was of the same equally high standard of service that we were having.
During our meal times the Palomotion team would come into the restaurant, sit and eat with the holiday makers and their families adding even more value to our experience.
The evening entertainment was also top drawer including; fire breathing, shaolin kung fu monks, gymnastics and much more. The Palomotion team even did their own take on many famous singers/dancers one night that had us all rolling around laughing for days to come. The last night we had a beach disco with the Palomotion team that just finished the perfect week in style!!! The staff even stayed up until 4am to wave goodbye as our coach left.
The staff at the Paloma Beach Resort in Side certainly went the extra mile to make it unforgettable for my family and I. We would recommend them to anyone looking for a holiday with people who really care about each holiday maker as individuals wanting the best out of their time in Turkey.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rich19Boy
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Just read the last review and disagree strongly that English people are 5th on the pecking list, I am Scottish (British) and found all animation team, cleaners, waiters and most bar staff very friendly and helpful, My party consisted of my husband and I along with five kids 2 girls aged 4, 7, and three boys 9 and two 15 year olds in which one was my sons friend. I hardly seen the boys the full holiday as the animation team got them involved with all the activities and new them all by name.

On arrival we where allocated two bungalow style rooms near each other in the front middle block facing away from pool area, I asked next morning, as we arrived at night could I get a room near the park facing the pool. I was moved without any problem. I would agree rooms where basic but roomy and spotless. I was advised by girl I booked with in Thomas Cook East Kilbride that rooms where not being upgraded to following year,

My 4 year old would not go to club due to fact she was shy, but Johnny from animation team tried every day without fail to get her to attend.(Thomas cook needs to put a club next year) All the animation team spoke to the girls. Basak gave the girls chocolate when they where watching boys playing darts, she also joined the boys a couple evenings for dinner. None of the animation team could be faulted as they all worked hard to make sure kids and my husband had a good time Regards to the bar staff I need to give a special mention to Hamdullah who got us a table everynight in restaurant and kept the drinks flowing on night,

This is my second visit to a Paloma Hotel last year we stayed at Paloma Grida and had an amazing time The only down side was their was no mama mia or grease show this year in either hotels kids really enjoyed them.(so did I)

There food hygeine practices are second to none, great food without tummy bugs, all staff are very professional, spacious grounds, ,full size football park, you meet other nationalities and beat them at football ha ha

I will return to a Paloma hotel again already looking for next year, Hotel is changing its name to the Paloma Oceana after the revamp this winter looks good, hope the prices don't go up to much

Room Tip: Choose a Paloma Hotel if you visit Turkey
7  Thank McD0nalds
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Read all of the reviews on here, and holidayed for 2 weeks in July at the Palerma Beach resort off the back of the recommendations. I wanted to write an objective review - honest and reliable so that you might form an honest opinion on the resort before you travel.

Lets start with the positives :

On the outside : Great sized resort. Food and buffet food excellent. Staff very helpful and the complex is well laid out. Has probably the cleanest eating and dining areas you could hope for. Beach beds well laid out, clean, and and comfortable. Cleanest toilets I've ever experienced in a resort and very hygienic kitchen facilities.

The range of food is excellent - served at good times. Choose from international and local foods, crepes, fruits and veg - everything you could hope for. Bar selection reasonable but no branded products available.

Entertainment was average, though geared towards Polish and Germans in the main. Not a problem for the kids, but I found this tedious.

Lets talk about the negatives :

The rooms are tired. Very tired. This is not a 4 star hotel by any stretch of the imagination. I'd award the accomodation 2/3 stars. It was blatantly apparent to me that as a family we'd been offered a tired family room in the 'hotel' section of the complex - because we were English (bear with me). We were told categorically that these were the only family rooms available in the whole of the Paloma complex. Lie.

All German and Polish families had been located in the new bungalow and separate complex rooms across the site, with updated air con and washroom / sleeping facilities. Our air con was broken, and indeed at one point I received a sharp electric shock from the control panel. Our toilet was broken, and needed constant pumping to flush. The lights were hit and miss. The decor was tired. The beds were old and the carpets dirty.

Coincidentally, all the British families had been located on the same corridor as us. Amazing. Rooms to avoid are all rooms 2000 to 2130 - they are poor and if you are British it would appear that these are the rooms you'll be offered. Ask your room number at reception, and if offered these, refuse. We advised new arrivals of this tactic, and it worked.

Other points to be aware of :

You know where you sit as a holiday maker in the pecking order when your translation comes 5th - yes 5th, in the proceedings. During entertainment announcements are made in German, then Russian, then French, then Turkish and finally English. A mix would have been more acceptable.

Dry your ears when you leave the pool. Please, please follow this advice. There are even signs reminding you to do this. Both our kids contracted ear infections by week 2, and although not too bad the hotel doctor is nothing short of being a crook. 95 euros or 220 Lira to see her, to then be recommended a short stay in a private Turkish hospital....I dont think so. Both flew home AOK despite us being told they might have to stay. Total rubbish.

Major gripes :

The hotel doctor's ethics are questionable

2 weeks in this resort is is too long. Nothing to do outside the resort so if sitting in half of square mile of resort for 14 nights is what your after - it's perfect. 7 - 10 days would have been better.

You need air con. I know what I'm coming for in July - heat, but I dont expect my accomdation to be 33 degrees at 1am. Because the air con is kaput.

The bar staff are rude. Terribly rude. Sliding drinks at you and insulting you in Turkish much to their amusement. In the reception bar, where you can receive wi-fi, we started a much enjoyable game of using an online translation tool to find out what they were saying. Helped pass the time and aided us in turkish retorts much to their amusement.

Beers and spirits are OK, but as you'd expect in an all inclusive they can be a bit ropey. Lager is rough, so stuck to the baileys equivalent most of the time - quite pleasant.

I know it's a cliche, but it's true. The resort is 80% german and if you haven't got your towel on a bed by 6am, you can forget the beds by the pool. Seriously. We took to putting our towels out the night before.

One other thing - the hotel photographers. Tell them to behave. I wasn't comfortable with them constantly snapping my kids and then pushing the photos on us in the evening. After I lost it on one occasion they then became much more amicable, but it really is a hard sell and the kids just didn't like it.

On the whole, OK, but we will not return. I'd urge that you travel here open minded and avoid being stuffed with a room in the hotel block of the complex. Stand your ground.

Room Tip: Dont accept rooms 2000 - 2130, or any rooms in the hotel block of the complex
8  Thank richiehayes2000
Reviewed July 16, 2011

we all had a great time at this hotel the facilities and attention were brilliant extras like ice cold towels, iced teas, juices, fresh watermelon served by lovely staff around the pool areas and the beach was something we haven't had anywhere before, beach great and clean beach eating area had a lovely choice of lunch, could go to the pool bar or even the restaurant, crepes (not sundays) could go on and on we were sorry to leave, evening flight home so although no room available to hire till later we were provided with a room with all the facilities to wash etc so had a full last day which was great cannot fault this hotel (its not a 5* palace but we didn't want that either - great family hol, yes lots of german and russian, but so what some english but we were abroad who cares

2  Thank mayse1950
Reviewed July 15, 2011

brilliant holiday,great location dont really need to leave hotel but dolmas and taxi outside.
2 familys of us went and we all enjoyed all the hotel has to offer the polomation team were excellent and a big thanks to sahan and co for making for all there hard work and making us laugh.all the staff v friendly and maids are lovely and nothing is 2 much trouble they were extremly hard and the room was always clean.only down side bar staff could be rude and liked you to give long list of drinks but i was being polite with one at a time.the evening entertaiment is fantasic with great shows.the food great and we loved the theme nights you also have a few a la carte rest we only tried the turkish one but was really nice plus waiter service,other wise its the main rest which is canteen style but great choices of food,limited childrens buffet.this hotel has everything but in bad need of the refurb all though how they are doing that and building new part in 8months!!! plug sockets hanging out in out room and our bathroom sink broke.
the hotel shop v expensive so we went to the other shops and got stopped by the shop man and asked us how much we paid and pointed to out bags,lol.
the children loved the swimming pools and the slides are great but we all had an ear infection,okay that can happen anyway but we never saw the pool cleaned once.overall lots of choices of food and you have the pool bar to eat at the southern fried chic is a must plus the homemade pizza,or the beach bar with the spit roast chicken.the beach is beautiful clean and if you feel daring try one of the watersports,and when you come of the beach you pass the crepe hut the lady there makes amazing crepes.
cant wait to come back.