“Thomson Seven Seas In Peril!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Otium Hotel Seven Seas

Otium Hotel Seven Seas
Ranked #10 of 228 Hotels in Side
England
“Thomson Seven Seas In Peril!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

I booked this holiday back in October and the reviews were fantastic. As this holiday was for my daughter and grandson who don’t go on holiday much we chose one with lots of entertainment and a kids club. It sounded brilliant. I soon realised when the reviews started again in April that there was going to be trouble. I tried to contact Thomson but got nowhere when I spoke to them.
Our party of 3 adults and a 6 year old arrived at approx. 11.00pm. Greeted with a non alcoholic cocktail. We checked in with no problems, were given a voucher for a sandwich and a soft drink and shown to our rooms which, although big, were pretty nasty. The furniture was bright yellow ‘formica’. The balcony was very small overlooking the coach park (drivers liked to wee up the wall) with small table, two chairs and a washing line. The beds do not have a top sheet but a waffle style blanket which was very uncomfortable and were very hard with springs sticking out. No tea/coffee/ ironing facilities. There was a safe but you had to pay for this. (I will list charges). The ‘minibar’ consisted of one bottle of water per stay. There is a big walk in wardrobe which was useful. The bathroom OK but there is a frosted panel overlooking the bedroom so that you can be watched while you shower and there is a frosted glass door and side panel too which I didn’t like. The shower was very powerful, and there was shower gel and shampoo supplied in dispensers, and hand soap by the sink. Towels were changed daily and bed made. Coffee marks were not wiped up.
I went to the reception for the 10.30am meeting with the rep. Me and about 12 others were sitting there from about 10.00am until 10.50am when someone came and told us that the meeting was in a room off reception. We therefore missed most of the meeting. I stayed after and complained about the minibar and the poor selection of all inclusive drinks and the extortionate prices charged if you don’t stick to all inclusive options. I also mentioned that we had been misled when we booked. Gemma said that was how it was and nothing could be done, and that the reviews were for when it was Magic Life. The reviews shouldn’t have been on Thomson website and link to Tripadvisor if they were not relevant. If I had gone on the reviews since Thomson took over I would definitely not have booked.
There is one restaurant for breakfast and you have to queue for eggs (no bacon in case you were wondering), queue for the toaster, queue to get your tea/coffee, queue for microwave to warm it up. The food is OK but it was a very unpleasant experience. In a party of 4 we never managed to sit down and eat at the same time. This restaurant was used for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it was always the same experience. The salad bar and the fresh bread were good though . There is a snack bar on the beach and you can get hamburgers , make toasted sandwiches (no butter) and there is a small salad bar, plus spaghetti and chips. They also do pizzas but these are €6 for an adult €4 for a child. There is also a freezer with 3 types of small lollies. There are two specialty restaurants which you are allowed in once. When we tried to book the only one open was the Turkish, the International was closed. The restaurant was nice and it was great to be waited on. The waiters were very nice and did tricks at the table. The choice wasn’t great but the lamb kebab was nice. We were going to get a bottle of Prosecco (just sparkling wine) but they wanted €72.50 so we gave that a miss.
The alcohol included in the AI was VERY weak beer, raki, gin, vodka, soft drinks, tea, coffee, hot chocolate and two cocktails, Vodka Sunrise (vodka, orange, grenadine) and Gin Mente (gin and menthe, which tastes like mouthwash). You can also help yourself to red, rose or white wine (they were not good).
If you wanted to go off AI menu then beers were between € 4/5 for a bottle. Vermouth, Barcardi, Tequila, Malibu, Archers, Martini, Gin and Vodka €5 or €80 for a bottle. Baileys €8 or €80 bottle. Whiskey €8/€90, premium whisky/JD €10/€130 and brandy €10 / €110. Other cocktails €5.

The bar in reception is open 24hrs but AI shuts at 12.00 midnight. There are always queues here too.
The kids club is only open two hours a day, 6 days a week and some of the activities you have to pay for.
The pools are nice but if you want to get a sunbed you will have to put your towel on them at about 5.30am, something I loathe to do. There are upright chairs and tables round the activity pool but no umbrellas or shade. The slides are open for two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. Several people got stuck and hurt themselves. The water was freezing.
The grounds are nice and green and well kept.
Extras:
Safe - €15 a week , Highchair - €3 per day, Tennis - €10 per hour plus €4 per hour for floodlit tennis. Minigolf family €10ph or €3 per person per hour. Games such as cards, chess €3 per hour. Kettle - €3 per day, Bathrobe - €3 per day, Iron and Board - €3 per day. All with €10 deposit
The biggest and most annoying of all my gripes is the lack of entertainment. We had entertainment on ONE night. This was a three piece band who I thought were very good. The rest of the week people were sitting in the lobby bar playing cards. We went into town a couple of nights just to get away from the boredom.
Overall I would say that it isn’t a bad hotel but don’t go on the reviews from last year and don’t expect entertainment or 4/5 star service.
Thomson

The grounds are nice and green and well kept.
Extras:

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lori19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
stockton on tees
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

Lots of bad review going on here. I have just returned with my family of 9 people including children aged 3 to 17 years. we stayed for 2 weeks. We had a fantastic time the staff were amazing the pools were fab especially the wave pool which catered for all the children. The grounds were lovely to walk around the local towns close by 15 mins on a bus shops were great. Rooms were fine clean and comfortable the beds were made and the room cleaned every day. The beach was clean we even braved the parasailing. The evening had coco the clown that my kids loved and a mini disco we then went to bed after that as we were shattered but entertainment carried on including a high school musical night, although it was the same staff doing it all they tried very hard. Free wifi in the lobby where we all sat to catch up on facebook and the weather for the next day, The manager who instoduced himself at our welcome meeting was always seen walking around the hotel he was really friendly. The food was fine and even my fussy sister and her chidren managed to eat and try things. we made friends with the photo lads ahmed and muhammed who welcomed us every morning to the pool and wished us goodnight after the disco. Dont be put off by bad reviews a holiday is what you make it and we thought it was great. We spent 2 weeks relaxing and chilling and that is what its all about. would recommend to anyone and looking to return next year.

2 Thank gemmarobson
NE England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

I spent a week at this hotel 12-19 May, along with my parents, sister and two 3 year olds. I won't repeat what several other reviewers have mentioned but try and add to their comments.
We were really worried having read the bad reviews just before we left and even rang Thomson to try and change hotel. We found most of them to be unfounded and it appears these were simply down to it being the start of the season and the hotel not being properly ready for guests.
Although I specifically requested 2 x quiet rooms we were given the two nearest the lobby/reception area. Rather than complain, and because we were only there a week I decided just to put up with it. It was very noisy on an evening and the whole family had to wear earplugs all the time we were there. The rooms are very basic for what is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. Bathroom great, but beds very uncomfortable and we had a third bed squeezed in the room when I think it was supposed to be a twin.
The hotel itself is lovely, very pretty grounds, great pools and staff who can't do enough for you. However, I went down to the pool on the first morning at 7.45am only to find that there were no sunbeds to be had! It wasn't too much of a problem for us as, having two 3 year olds with us, they didn't sit still long enough anyway!
The Thomson kids club was quite a big let down for us. The girls are lovely and very friendly but two hours a day is just not enough for parents to get a rest! I tried to find out their hours before we booked but Thomson would not provide the information.
Loved the beach area - they have very thoughtfully set up a shaded area of the beach where the kids can build sandcastles etc which I thought was a nice touch.
The food was very nice although I hated having to queue for eggs/omelettes/pancakes on a morning. Restaurant has a kids only area and also adult only areas (which I have to say, are ignored by most guests and they take their kids in anyway - should be enforced more!).
All in all, it's a nice hotel but the rooms desperately need updating so that they match the standard of the rest of the hotel. It could be brilliant for not a huge amount of effort. I would give it 3.5 stars just for the limited kids club and basic rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 7120, 7122!
3 Thank HelenB
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

My husband and i booked this hotel for the beginning of May. I was slightly swayed towards this hotel as it was a Platinum hotel and 4*. Before going on this holiday i read some of the reviews on here and was so worried about going that i tried to chnge the hotel but could'nt so went with very low expectations.
When we arrived it was about 3am and got into our room and was not impressed at all. It looked like the whole room had been created by Ikea and everything a bright green colour. In the morning after getting some sleep the room didnt seem half as bad and besides who plans to spend their time in their room anyway.
Your see lot's of reviews by peolpe who go on about how this isnt an all inclusive holiday and it isnt IF YOU DONT WANT IT TO BE!!. You are offered a wide range of food at meal times and like every hotel offering mass catering it does get a bit samely but you just get on with it. All soft drinks including diet drinks and cordials, wine and a couple of beers are included and also some spirits, cocktails and brandies etc are included. If you choose to buy imported drinks then yes your have to pay but people who say the alcohol drinks are watered down i dont get as i got pretty merry when i drank!!!.
A wide range of tea and coffees are included but yes if you want certain coffee your have to pay.There is also a fab beach snack bar which offers lighter lunches if like us you dont want a massive meal 3 times a day and fridges stocked with water which you help yourself to and freezers stuffed with ice creams to take.
The entertainment wasnt great i admit so if anything that is the let down. The water park was great and although i enjoyed the slides the crazy river wasnt to my taste but i can see that peoply who are not as much of a scaredy cat as me would enjoy it.
The only thing i would say is dont be too hasty to book the tours, there are ways of getting to the places included and you wouldnt need to pay nearly half as much as the tour price.
This hotel is beautiful the staff are friendly and i think you get a good deal. The rooms are basic but clean. I would honestly say that you would have a good holiday here and you needn't pay anymore.
Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Clanger210109
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

I went with my husband and 3 teenage children. We had a great time, the food was lovely, especially the barbeque chicken and steak. The staff were particularly friendly at this hotel. The watersports were an additional cost, but not any dearer than any other resort. The hotel is on the outskirts of Side but there were buses all the time to Side and Manavgat. There were shops within walking distance of the hotel and all priced about the same as Side and the market shops/stalls. However - Our room was on the ground floor, beside the flumes - it was cold and our bed and bedcovers were damp and we were kept wakened until 5am with the disco at the next hotel. The hotel struggled to cope with large number of guests - queues at dining room due to small cooking appliances/grills/barbeques not able to provide food at the rate it was being demanded. Sunbeds were all booked by 8am. Queues at Lobby bar. Not enough seating in the lobby bar - due to rain and drop in evening temperatures, it was inevitable that most guests would end up in the lobby bar The small tv in the lobby bar just played the hotel information all night (apart from the Eurovision Song Contest Night). Light entertainment - not good enough for a Thomson Holiday. That said we would go back

4 Thank motor1234
Thornhill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

Before you start to read this review can I say I'm not one for complaining and usually see the good in everything, but once I've written this my next letter will be to Thomson Holidays. My family and I stayed in this hotel for two weeks at the beginning of May and we chose it for it's "Platinum" status. I've stayed in many Platinum hotels all over the world and they do vary slightly depending on their location, so know what's expected.
I'll begin with the positives. The Hotel and it's grounds are beautiful, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, (although very very basic and dated), the food is good, but the themed nights were the same food available every night. We did use the microwave in the restaurant a couple of times as the food was lukewarm. The hotel Spa was a little expensive, but well worth the extra cost and I would recommend their Turkish bath as opposed to the one Thomson sell, (we tried both and the hotel won hands down at around the same price). Thomson Rep.(Gemma), will tell you the Spa is a lot more expensive, but believe me this is not the case, so look for Mehmet or Ekrumm beside the pool and take their advice.
I don't have anything else positive to say about the place, so now to "our" negatives. The alcohol included is weak, (almost watered down), and branded spirits cost you from 4 to 10 euros a glass or 80 to 130 euros per bottle. Cappuccino and Latte is available in the bar at a cost of 4 euros. Tea, coffee and chocolate is available from self-serve machines between 10am and midnight, then it's taken away. Bottled water is available from fridges located throughout the hotel from 10am to midnight, then the fridges are locked. The "Mini Bar" in your room is a fridge containing a bottle of water, if your one of the lucky ones, but you'll have to re-stock it yourself. There is a charge for an iron, ironing board, fan, kettle etc. if you'd like to add an extra 3 euros per day per item. We spoke to a couple who'd brought their own travel kettle and they were threatened with confiscation. The safe will cost you £30 for two weeks, with a £10 deposit which is refunded at the end of your stay. Pizzas in the Beach Bar cost 4 euros each and fresh orange at breakfast is 2 euros, (the charge was 4 euros at the start of out holiday). There is no nightly entertainment, we saw one show and one live band in a fortnight. The rest of the time we had VH1 projected onto an outside wall with little or no volume, a lap-top in the Lobby Bar playing CD's and the rest of the time there was nothing at all. There is no Animation Team to motivate or encourage you to join in any activity. Their best effort was Aqua Aerobics at 2pm, just when everyone had eaten lunch. It will cost you 3 to 10 euros for some basic activities, eg. Crazy Golf, Tennis, Table Tennis, Pool and there was no Archery as advertised, but I'm sure it would have come at a cost too. The Waterpark should display "DANGER" signs as it is an accident waiting to happen and is certainly too powerful for kids. There were a few adults with grazes and bumps after riding on the slides. There were dressing rooms provided beside the pools, but many Nordic and Russian guests still chose to undress themselves and their children in front of everyone. This was one thing I couldn't understand as I'd asked about topless sunbathing on my first day and was told it would offend and I should go to the beach to do so. The Thomson Rep.,(Gemma), must have been S.A.S. trained as she was often in and out of the hotel without anyone seeing her, yet she told us on our first day she only had this hotel to look after and was only off on Thursdays. STRANGE. . . . although I think the pressure of complaints and excursion refunds had a lot to do with this.
I'm going to finish my review now, although there are still a few niggles I didn't cover, but I could go on and on. The message I want to get through to people is . . . . " This is NOT All Inclusive, NOT Platinum, and people shouldn't be conned into paying for a holiday which is not worthy of the "Platinum" status.
THOMSON . . . Drop the price, the star rating and take away the "Platinum" and you might get a better feedback for this hotel.

Room Tip: Try a different Hotel!
4 Thank julie2722
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

hotel was lovely but defo wasnt a platinum. rooms was a shame ndefo not a 5*... staff was very pleasant and looked after you!! we was sold it last year as CLUB MAGIC LIFE but had changed and was never informed of this. from what we heard from last year the hotel was out this world, what a dissappointment when we arrived. Thomsons/tui have ruined this hotel, entertainment lasted all of half an hour then you had to find something else to do. you had to queue at the main lobby bar for a drink for at least 20 min. the pool areas was amazing and very clean. the water slides(altho I didnt go on them) was alittle dangerous and people was coming out with injuries!! The hotel IS all inclusive but main spirits you do have to pay for, the bars dont open till 10am but does serve alcohol fom then :) from 5pm till 6.30 there isnt any of the food ares open but this didnt bother us altho it should be open with the all inclusive. reading some of the comments before we went put us on the spot about the hotel but most of them didnt apply. NO BUILDING WORK GOING ON, the beach was very clean altho we did have a storm on our 2nd night but the beach was closed off to repair the jetty and to rake the sand so the beach is well looked after. we had a lovely holiday but thomsons/tu are false advertising this hotel as a 5* platinum which isnt and I personally think this hotel will fall back!! food was lovely ans staff are so polite :) make sure your up early to get your sunbeds because the y soon go!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple