“SEE COCKROACH PICSUnprofessional and no customer service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Prestige Hotel & Spa

Grand Prestige Hotel & Spa
Ranked #204 of 228 Hotels in Side
“SEE COCKROACH PICSUnprofessional and no customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here on oct 30 for seven nights with my wife and 2 boys aged 7 and 8.
Booked 2 bedroom family room.
When i reached there i was told they dont have 2 bedroomed family rooms and gave me a room with a bedroom and two sofas!!
I complained but the customer service was appalling,they just were not interested.
The hotel is average to say the least but i was determined to enjoy my holiday.
Next morning went for breakfast and my son spat out a cockroach from his tea,i was so annoyed and disgusted i took pics on my phone and showed the reception manager to complain.
I might as well not have bothered,they apologised reluctantly and that was it.
The option they gave me was stay and dont cause trouble or they will vacate me from the hotel.
I asked to speak to a duty manger and was refused rudely.

The animation is non existent the pools are very untidy and there was never a lifeguard or any staff.
The food is average and the staff are extremely rude.
I only met one freindly staff their his name was salim from the animation team.

I couldnt believe it,i strongly reccomend anyone to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Sdaud1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Thatcham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

My son and I have just returned from Grand Prestige, Side after a great week. Forget all the negative comments you read here - remember your holiday should be what you make of it, as well as what you receive.
I booked this holiday only a few days before we departed. The main bulk of our holiday cost was the flights (great of airlines and holiday companies to capitalise on parents having to abide by school holiday time as always!). But the holiday would still work out 'cheap and cheerful', compared to the Canary Island holidays I researched. So, what we ended up getting for our money was very good indeed.
It is quite a long transfer from the airport, so be prepared.
Check in was easy and the room was a nice size with everything we needed. There's plenty of room to move around, and lots of storage space. And although we had some minor technical difficulties with the TV and the hairdryer, maintenance was very efficient and were round within 5 minutes each time to sort the problems.
Yes, there is a big language barrier, but perseverance and getting to know the staff help you to find out who you can communicate best with. Heidi (?) at front desk was the most fluent and helpful of staff.
There was no problem at all with the WiFi. We were able to connect to any number of the Grand Prestige connections while in the lobby, our room or at the beach.
The location is great, and we walked into Side one day (didn't realise it would take us over 2 hours!). But we went along the promenade/beach, paddling on the way, and it was lovely. A bus back was called for though, and it was very cheap.
There were many more positives than negatives;
Positives -
Food - top notch and so much choice. Top tips - breakfast, the freshly cooked breakfast omelettes, fresh bread, preserves and coffee were wonderful. Evening - the BBQ outside had something for everyone, from fresh calamari and grilled sardines to lamb steaks and satay chicken. And the best thing - the salads!
Dining Al Fresco - great layout of tables in the garden, morning and evening
Pools and slides - my son loved them!
Cookie time - freshly cooked doughnuts (again top marks from my son)
Location - great layout, good beach, good, handy shops around. And Side, although not close, is absolutely beautiful! Not a tacky town, the temple and amphitheatre ruins and the harbour area are a highly recommended day out.
Negatives -
The a la carte restaurants weren't open (end of season), but the normal restaurants and snack bars were more than up to providing a great variety and quality of food
Lots of Russians and Germans - yes, I knew that before I went, and the majority are indeed rude and obnoxious, but we met some great English people there who helped make the holiday extra special.
Tatty pool towels - but hey ho, they were clean and dry, and you change them as often as you want!
Dodgy Air con - but a quiet room with the balcony doors open was more than adequate.
Stony beach (in the water and at the waters edge) - but overcome if you wear wet shoes - recommended. But the sea itself is lovely. Also, although the 'all inclusive' paperwork does mention 'hiring' mattresses for the beach loungers, we weren't asked for a fee all the time we were there.
German/Turkish/Russian TV Channels - I don't know about other people, but I prefer not to spend all my holiday watching TV! I got the maintenance man to tune in the BBC world news channel for me and the cartoon network for my son and that was good enough.
Cocktails not part of the 'all inclusive'- but if you ask the pool bar staff to 'mix something' that doesn't include imported spirits, then you get lovely cocktails and some fun experiment time - for you and the staff :-)
I think it did help that the hotel was half empty while we were there (being end of season), so getting prime location sunbeds and hardly queuing at mealtimes was lovely. I'm not sure how good the situation would be during a fully booked, high season though!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the outside dining area are very good, with a lovely view, and they are quieter th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Alison H
Aslackby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We booked this all inclusive dead with Qwerty Travel, following a Travelzoo promotion.
Read the reviews on Qwerty so were a litle apprehensive, but had no need to worry at all.
There were 4 of us all over 60, and yes we enjoy a good moan...but not on this occasion.
We were advised that the paper work for our holiday would arrive 7-10 days prior to departue, it did!!
At our age we have been fortunate to have many holidays, in 4 and 5 star hotels and completed many cruises.
This was one of our best holidays, the food was as good as any cruise ship, the staff so very helpful even though they spoke very little English.
One thing we paricularly like was that there areas where we could find peace and quiet every day and enjoy a Raki or 2 or 3!!.
The walk to the beach takes 10 minutes at a slow stroll, with plenty of activity for the young at heart. The beach bar served a wide range of tasty food.
The hotel is mainly a holiday for the Germans ...not a problem they were very pleasant...but they do smoke a lot, even when eating food...not quite at the same time!!
There is a Spa where you can have real Turkish massage, if you book 3 the rate drops from 38 Euros to 20Euros, these are proper massage and not for the feint hearted, but you feel great afterwards.
If you want to get around and see the sites, then take a Taxis 11Euros to Side, and book your Tours at half the price advertised by your hotel rep. Side it self is worth a day out, but none of the shops had prices on there goods, which meant we bought very little, they amke the prices up depending on ones appearance???
Anyway a great hotel go for it!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Check in was easy. The hotel appearance was great and the reception and bar area were impressive.

Breakfast was ok, pancakes and fresh bread were yummy but thats about it. Lunch and dinner were really good with lots of choice. The desserts were amazing!
The beach restaurant was good (burgers, pizza, kebab, pasta).
The Italian restaurant was nice but the service was poor. We ordered arrabiata but were given carbonara???

The language barrier was a real struggle as all of the staff spoke german and not many spoke english. We made a lot of hand gestures and googled words to show the staff.

The room was clean and had plenty of storage space. The view from our balancy was really lovely.

The hotel rep tried to over charge us for excursions. He said we could pay £50 or 75 euros for the turkish bath and that the euro wasnt used because of the bad exchange rate. We spoke to both english and german people and everyone paid 50 euros so dont be fooled! If you look at any price list around the hotel or ask any shop assistant they all wanted euros. Ask them for the price in lira then euro but dont fall for the reps sales pitch.

You can get a bus to Side for 1 euro and look around the ruins and markets etc. They come every 10 minutes and probably take between 15-20 minutes to get there. The bus stop is opposite the hotel.
Every night we asked the bus driver to change some notes so that we could haggle more.
The shops on the main street of Side are more expensive as they have to pay more rent so walk a down a couple of lanes to get a better deal. My husband bought some jeans and the length was adjusted in about 5 minutes. You couldnt tell that they had been altered and it didnt cost any extra.

Over all the experience was really good but we were the only two english people staying in the hotel. I found the german guests extremely rude, pushing in front of every queue we stood in. The menu's, signs and television channels were all german. I probably wouldnt go back because of them and not because of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roz81
oostende
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Check in was good and fast especially seeing that we arrived at 4am in the morning.
Rooms are good but knowing that they renovated in 2010 and 2011 (which they advertise) it's not a 100%. Cleaniness is good. The towels were great one day and the next day we got some older ones which started to unraffle a bit.
Minibar is filled up daily with two still waters, two sparkling water, two limonades and two cola's (small bottles)
Balcony was spacious enough with table and two chairs. I can understand some concerns about that railing. Although high enough it would worry me if I had children.
Food is great. One of the best I had in hotels. Because they had theme-nights you had a good choice of food. You could have an omelet or fried egg made on the spot with your breakfast.
I must admit that breakfast was the one with the least choice and the same every morning. Also their midnightsnack is not great. From what we saw they might just not serve it because they don't seem to make an effort for it.
Coffeebreak with cake and others was good, we went to have some on most days where in previous trips we only went once or twice.
They have two pools : one with the entertainment and one quiet one that is surrounded by trees. Sunbeds were plentifull so you never had to get up early to 'reserve' a spot. At the entertainmentpool you ran quickly out of sunbeds with shade.
The grounds were maintained even when we were there they closed off a section where the grass was gone and planted new grass etc.
n general it was maintained good but you have the small details like a stair to get out of the pool being a bit loose. Bedsidetable which hangs of the wall was loose. Carpet a bit loose in a corner. Airco making a lot of noise when you put it on low etc. Thus making it not a great hotel.

And now service : very very mixed about that. Reception, guest relation and most female waitresses very good and friendly. Male bartenders and waiters a disaster. Lets start with the diner in restaurant : if you were very lucky you could get a drink at your table most of the time you had to get it yourself. Also they don't come to you, you always had to hail them and that could take a long time as I sometimes thought they were blind and in frustration you went after it yourself. Unless you are group of loud people who seem to have spend a lot more money because they got a royal threatment by ALL the staff. Table being reserved for them, all their orders being brought to them (even at the poolbar where it's selfservice). I wouldn't mind it if they only did their job properly for all the other guest aswell. For example third night at a table next to us the man was trying to order a drink for about 10min. Finally one of the waiters went to him untill that group who sat a few tables further yelled they wanted a drink. The waiter couldn't run fast enough towards them and left that poor man. He went after his own drinks then.
Roughly the same at the poolbar. I consider myself friendly and patient but when I have been waiting 10min in line and it's finally my turn only to see the barman starting to clean his station while I was waiting there it frustrated me. We found the male waiters and barmen unfriendly. They don't seem to be friendly by nature and it shows. Last night we were there a man in front of me ordered two drinks in german (which most speak) first one the barman was able to make although it took time but the second was a bacardi cola. Barman didn't understand what he wanted. Even after an explanation that it was rum cola (coke) the barman just gave him a coke.

So good hotel, good food. Lousy service from male waiters and barmen.

We had beter and would choose the other hotels instead of the grand prestige

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Turkey has never really appealed to me for some reason - but after visiting Side near Antalya - I changed my mind.

When we fist arrived - there was a bit of problem with checking in but soon was resolved as I kicked up a fuss - they tried to put all 4 of us in one room which I was not having - they had overbooked but I made them feel bad and it worked.

I have to say this hotel is just brilliant for everyone - young adults, families and groups - Side is really nice and not taken over by tourists like Marmaris - its a very pretty place.

We went all-inclusive for my mum's 60th birthday and their anniversary. They surprised my parents at dinner when we booked into a restaurant. They created a heart out of flowers around the table and decorated the table very beautifully.

Entertainment was great and also the food was themed every night so we never got bored for choice.

The lobby is massive and the staff are so friendly - we had one waitress who always used to bring our drinks and know exactly what we wanted - she was a star - as soon as we'd sit down - our drinks would be with us in seconds

Only downside was - the hotel is bombarded with russians. The staff speak very little english but its fine - you get by.

Great summer get away :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Sital30
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel was stunning clean and great value. Food was excellent

• Stayed August 2011