“Very Good Value for Money”
Review of Leda Beach Hotel

Leda Beach Hotel
Ranked #103 of 229 Hotels in Side
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We have been to Side before and specifically chose this hotel because it was in the best location (in the ruins and beach either side) and wanted a cheap get away break for half term. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was in a charming setting in private gardens. All the staff were lovely and very helpful and responsive irrespective of your nationality (Side caters predominently for German and Russian Tourists). We had two adjacent rooms by the pool and restaurant which were a good size 4m x4m. It is important to note all the facilities were basic but clean, comfortable and adequate. Our room had a fridge with drinks - 1euro for a can (or for the same price you can get fresh juice from the bar) , hairdryer and air condition (35 euros). The small leak in a water pipe was repaired immediatly we reported it and it seems they do take complaints seriously (see previous entry re hot water) as they completely replaced the solar heating system and hot water tanks while we there so we did get hot water all day. We booked on a Bed and Breakfast basis only, dining in the restaurants in the evening did seem quite expensive, however one night we opted for the earlier half-board evening buffet for 10 euros which was basic but good value for money including a wide selection of mezzes, a couple of main courses and dessert. We borrowed the laptop and it was already on standby and went straight on to internet and able to check in for flights home in ten minutes.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Ric6

Reviewed May 25, 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel which is located just before the entrance to Side Town immediately opposite the Roman ruins and Amphitheatre. A great location i have to say.
From your breakfast table in the morning you are looking out across all the ruins and it's a very relaxing atmosphere and a lovely place to be.

The hotel is of a basic standard and reasonably clean. No horror stories to report or nasty experiences. When i arrived at 2.30 in the morning the place seemed all locked up and in darkness. Unable to find the entrance ( through no signage or night lighting outside ! ) i wandered into the next door hotel grounds where i was met by one of the security staff. He then guided me round to the reception building for the " Leda Beach " where i was then taken to my room etc.

The breakfast was of a good standard for this level of accommodation with plenty of choice and included in the cost of my room. No complaints there ! The grounds and gardens were small but very nice and quite pretty with lots of flowers and greenery. The pool was located behind the restaurant and was of an adequate size although in the busy mid summer season i would imagine it could get a bit crowded with not too much sunbathing space. To reach the beach which was directly behind the hotel you would need to go up and down a series of steps so this hotel would only suit able bodied people.
The hotel boasts the hire of a laptop which you can take to your room. The truth is they have just 1 laptop so it is generally not available and when it was i was unable to get a connection to the internet so not much use at all really !

I think there are 2 big negatives with this hotel which is the main reason i gave it a poor rating. Firstly there is NO HOT WATER in the rooms in the morning when you need to take a shower. So annoying ! There is hot water in the afternoon but thats just not acceptable. I had to borrow the key to an empty room in a different block where there was hot water because nobody was using those rooms. I was given the lame excuse that there wasn't enough strong sun the day before ! Hardly....it had been very warm and sunny with clear blue skies all day so i don't know how it could be any better for the solar panels to heat the water. Truth is there are too many people using just 3 small cylinders of water. They really need to increase their water storage capability so it can cope and hot water is available all day. Had the hotel been more full i guess i would have been stuck with just cold water ....not good enough !

The second poor rating comes with service...or lack of it. When i asked for the hot water to be sorted out a young girl with a less than caring attitude said she would come and look and see what the problem was. Half way to my room she said she would be just a minute and disappeared off to another room. She never returned ! When i went back to reception she was sitting at a desk. I pointed out that she had not been to see if my water problem could be resolved and i just got a blank look. !

I never did gain hot water in my room so that was when i started to use another room in order to have a hot shower. I have to say that none of the staff seemed very concerned about the lack of hot water nor anything else to be honest.

I have to say that had the staff been more helpful and friendlier this might have been a very nice hotel to stay at. The location is very good and Side itself is a great place whatever kind of holiday you want. I will go back...but not to the Leda Beach Hotel !

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank simbolEastbourne
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Myself and boyfriend stayed at the Leda Beach for 2 weeks Half Board late September as a last minute deal. We booked 6 weeks in advance through teletext! Needless to say we were slightly apprehensive in the run up to the holiday...Oh and this was our first trip to Turkey! Bonus!

After a very late flight and long coach/bus ride from the airport we arrived in the early morning hours alongside a party of four. I cannot be too sure but I guessed the man that welcomed us at reception could have been the manager. He seemed slightly grumpy, but like myself I put it down to the hour of day, stupid o'clock, or of course the small language barrier. To be honest I was too knackerd to care. It was at this point we were asked whether we required air con. It seemed a quite expensive weekly rate, so we declined the offer to see how we got on. The party of four opted in.

Our first room was a shallet very close to the beach. Beatifully surroundings, quaint, basic, what more do you need? The only thing prominently absent was a hairdryer, which i'd neglected bring having read the hotel had them. The room was at first a little shock, but for the bargain price we paid I was very prepared to expect the worst and all I really wanted was some sun!

I think we were in that room about 4 days and by that time I'd adjusted and settled in, although I had far too many clothes for the tiny wardrobe! I presumed the maid had noticed this and after a lovely day at the beach we arrived back in the room to a note requesting we visit reception. Being a complete wuss and concerned we'd broken a rule I sent the man in.

UPGRADE! After joking neighbouring holidaymakers had complained of our noise levels (so quiet!!) he came clean and said they'd offered us an upgrade on our room. I was happy to stay but when he described the new room as a palace WITH a hairdryer how could I say no?! This room was even nicer, it even had a fridge!

We met another couple whilst dining one evening who had changed rooms three-four times, PICKY! So if your not happy do ask, I'm really not one to complain though. I didn't mind the basic amenities of the first room and I'm sure our holiday would have worked out as well as it did had we remained there.

Tips & Things to do:
- We Didn't spend a day at the pool, the sea was big enough. And try to swim with turtles as far as you can swim out.
- You cannot avoid the Roman ruins and they are a must! The museum is also worth a visit. Avoid bogus tour guides.
- A night of orchestrial delight at the Roman Theatre if you can. Very romantic!
-The main restaurant serves buffet breakfast and later on in the evening overlooking the sea front your evening meals. Both are good especially if your trying to save the pennies.
-Theatre Restaurant, named after it's specataular backdrop is an excellent choice for evening dining. We went for Turkish night and got involved with the belly dancing!
-Leda Marine Restaurant, right in front of the Beach, excellent staff! Great guys.
-Great restaurants in Side, One in particular I forget the name of, you can dine out on the rocks near the sea.
-Side shopping, great bars too.
-Book a spa day, but be careful who you book with.
-Temple of Appollo, fantastic views.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!! Antony & Cleopatra summered here for a good reason.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Torishbloom
Reviewed November 22, 2008

I stayed for the second time at Leda Beach the first week in Nov 08. Indeed the location is great and it’s a 2-3 min walk from the beach and all the ancient ruins. I actually visited the ruins 4 times and I still see different and interesting parts. And all this is just a few minutes’ walk. Also close by are stores for purchasing any health and beauty aids you might have forgotten or any kind of fresh fruit all very reasonable prices. If you walk a few minutes into the old city, you can find everything…clothes, food, carpet, jewelry…best food around. If you decide to stay within the Leda Beach hotel itself, you’ll still enjoy yourself immensely. I stayed in the bungalows next to the pool and was so nice to walk out my door and take a swim and go back and change for dinner. The pool and the surrounding area were always kept clean and often someone came by to see if I needed anything. Six months prior I stayed in the rooms down near the beach. The gardens all over the grounds were beautiful. Every time I left the room i could smell the magnificent fregence of the fresh flowers and fruit trees. I was even able to eat a pomegranate from the tree ..i felt like i was in the Garden of Eden. I went down to the local beach and it was very nice. While I laid out enjoying the beautiful Mediterranean sun, the waiter came to see if I needed any refreshments. Of course I had to have a nice ‘girly’ drink while I laid in paradise. I really can’t say enough about the people that work there. The folks in the restaurant couldn’t have been any more attentive to my needs. I had dinner there on several occasions and it was excellent. The cook came out a couple times to inquire about food. The Turkish people are really some of the nicest people in the world to sit and talk to. i wish i could find more like them in the USA. My room was very comfortable...never too hot or too cold and I did take advantage of the beverages in the mini refrigerator in the room as the prices were not outrageous as you see in most hotels. The price is great and the rooms are basic not real fancy but very comfortable and very clean. The women that came by to clean are extremely friendly and will get you anything you may need for your room. I thought the hotel rated 3 starts but the atmosphere and people that service you everyday make it a 5 star. I am already planning my next trip in May 09. Oh and don’t forget to go to the shop next door. I had to get several ppl gifts and the young man there is ready to help and gave me very good prices they will also alter pants if need be while you wait!!

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed October 21, 2008

It seems that this place has attracted pretty contrasting reviews on Tripadvisor. Now, being an optimist and seeing a bad hotel review I generally look at the positives rather than the negatives. And seeing there were plenty of positives, we chose to stay here.

So in the interest of balancing out the positives and negatives, I'll try to be as even handed as possible.

The Leda beach is definitley in a very desirable location, which is it's biggest plus. It really is very lovely to sit out at breakfast in the morning overlooking the ruins of the amphitheatre and the like. The rooms are simple but comfortable and regularly cleaned. At a price of under £100 for two weeks there are no complaints on value for money.

However, the hotel does have a few downsides which have to be mentioned (and hopefully this will not just come across as a disgruntled holidaymaker moan).

First, the restaurant. We stayed on a B&B basis and have never been as disappointed with a breakfast before. They don't seem to cater for tourists from all over and provide a continental style buffet consisting of cheese, salad, cold meat and bread. This was not very well replenished and was a big attraction for flies!! There was a limited selection of boiled eggs and scrambled eggs but it seemed they placed one lot out at 8am and no more (not so good for the later risers). The staff are (to put it bluntly) slow. It's very much the order of the day to wait for something to run out before replacing it (bread, cups for tea and coffee, milk). This seemed to be because they were more interested in selling orange juice or trying to entice guests to eat there in the evening.

As for the evening, we chose to eat there in our second week. We were attracted by the promise of a "Turkish Night". This actually ended up consisting of 15 minutes of belly dancing. As if this was not disappointing enough, the food was massively overspiced and when the head waiter enquired about why one dish hadn't been eaten he just shrugged it off when told we didn't like it! Almost certainly the worst meal of our holiday!

Another big problem with this hotel is parking. A few booking sites and the hotel website claim it has a car park. It doesn't. There is adjoining area which can be used for parking but this can only accomodate three cars. There are spaces outside the hotel (2, if parking closely) but it appears they prefer to keep these for themselves and not the guests. We didn't have a problem parking at any time but I can imagine this would be a problem at a busier time of year. For some reason, the shop owner next to the access road also likes to plant a post stopping traffic at random. It's annoying to remove this for the umpteenth time!!!

It's also pretty generous to describe the hotel as having a private beach as this is quite possibly the most pokey and miserable looking piece of sand we have seen in the Med! But each to their own.

From another practical point of view, it would be necessary to hire the air conditioning at a cost of 35 euro a week during the summer months, so do consider this in your budget. October was just about bearable.

In summary, choosing this hotel does mean you have to make a compromise of cost to quality. It isn't a three star hotel (I think one star would be more reasonable to British standards) but it's clean. If breakfast is really important to you then maybe you should budget for somewhere better.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davideJ808VV
Reviewed September 12, 2008

Well, this hotel is a great place to go when visiting Side. Its in the centre so you dont have to spend as much on taxis, the beach is on your door step and everything you need is less than a 5 minute walk away!
I went to this hotel with my friends and we all really enjoyed our stay. The barmen, waiters, chefs, managers, cleaners, receptionists, market men and 'neighbours' in the clothes shops were all great and made our stay enjoyable. There are few english people that visit this hotel but all the people who work there love the english and are very friendly. They never let you go without and will basically do anything for you. The rooms are decent and very clean! with the cleaners coming round everyday!!
With holidaying to Side the previous year, having the time of our life, =D we had high expectations and we were not disappointed with the service at this hotel.
We made many friends with the workers at Leda and are already planning our next stay for 2009.
Side is a lovely place for a relaxing holiday experiencing the traditional ways of the turkish people and the interesting roman ruins (Apollo temple being the best =D), for soaking up the sun, and for the night-life! - being teenagers this is what we love so much!! It really does cater for all!
I highly recommend this hotel, the people are great and i can guarantee you a fantastic holiday! Also wherever you stay, Side is a brilliant place and your missing out if you dont pay it a visit!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hanay
Reviewed September 3, 2008

We stayed at the Leda Beach Hotel from the 8th till the 22nd of August 2008.
The hotel is very simple & basic but then when you break down the cost ie. separate the flights, to stay there it is good value.
It reminded us of a backpackers type of place but we found it to be lovely once we settled in.
We were fully prepared to pay separatley for the air conditioning as we had been advised of this when we booked. However I agree with the previous reviewer, that it should just be paid for when booking. I say this because we arrived at 4.30am with two young children and we were all tired and disorientated. We were asked to pay there and then for the air con. and the price was displayed as 35 Euros. ( About £30 / 70 Lira) .This was all very confusing as we only had Lira and English money and we could have done without the hassle really.
Anyway, we sorted it out and we were then put in room 104 overlooking the beach. Our loo was a bit wiffy too but I think it was because the room had been stood empty as it went away after a few hours. We had a balcony which was lovely and the beds were changed evey single day without fail. The maids brought us extra pillows when we asked and we would come back to an immaculate room each day.
The Staff were all lovely, particularly Antonio from the restaurant. It is important to remember that the Staff work seven days a week for very low wages and they are only human. My Husband is a Chef and he said the kitchens both in the Theatre restaurant and the Leda Marin Restaurant on the beach were immaculate.
The breakfast each day was buffet style and was very nice, fresh and beautifully presented.The pool area is great, not too big so not crowded. We found the setting, gardens etc. of the hotel really idyllic but again, it is very simple and rustic so don't expect anything more.We also found the Turkish people lovely with the children, offering free drinks and food and fussing over them making sure they were okay all the time.
The barbeque at both the hotel's restaurants are lovely and well worth the price. We also raved about the chicken kebabs at the Yunuz place round the corner, just past the museum in the busy square. £2 each and utterly gorgeous.We didn't have any problems with rude Staff at the hotel, quite the opposite in fact, so it's a shame about the previous reviewers experience.
We found Side nice but bigger than we expected. If you go around the town, past the harbour and the ruins on the shore it is quieter up there and more quaint. There are lovely little restaurants overlooking the waves.
Overall,a great place, lots going on, very German resort though which has pros and cons.We would go back there again and feel like we were made very welcome.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank KabeeLancashire