“Basic, affordable hotel close to beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Leda Beach Hotel

Leda Beach Hotel
Ranked #90 of 229 Hotels in Side
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Basic, affordable hotel close to beach”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The Leda Beach is only a 2-star hotel so don't go there expecting the best facilities, ie a shower that can be set between hot and cold. The rooms are chalets. Ours was near the swimming pool which was fine for us, but others were in narrow lanes that radiated from reception - many guests preferred the latter.

I liked:

* Food was very high quality. The kitchens are ultra-clean and the mezes and other Turkish dishes were amazing. Even though main courses are typically meat and occasionally fish, there are always one or two veggie options but given the choice of about 30 veggie mezes, you could just eat those. They also bake their own pitta-type bread which is yum.

* They didn't play banging music by the pool which meant you could actually read and relax.

* The hotel has a private beach and you don't have to pay for the beds. The guy who runs it is incredibly helpful and nice. His name is Sefer and he is actually an artist and does everything with panache and style. He constantly attends to everybody's needs and rearranges the parasols etc as the day advances. I once saw him manipulate two parasols simultaneously - one with his hand and the other he caught with his foot as it fell over. Somebody should make a short film about him.

* The hotel is right next to the ruins and the restaurant terrace overlooks the amphitheatre. It's nice to sit on the terrace at night and watch the sun set on the ruins, while tourists stream into town along the ancient thoroughfare still with its original Graeco-Roman houses and shops in a derelict state.

* The restaurant is run very efficiently and the staff are generally very friendly and talkative. Salman, Ali 1 and Ali 2, Ramazan - all great!

* Air-conditioning is included. Only works when your key is in the slot so after a hot day, turn it on and evacuate your room for a few minutes, if the heat bothers you. You could also have a cool shower, read by the pool, or do Bikram yoga.

* The cleaning staff are lovely - please tip them! They work in 45 degrees heat, changing bedding etc. They are traditionalists and have to stay covered up, which cannot be pleasant in that heat.

* There are lime trees, pomegranates, and bougainvillea everywhere.

Things I didn't like so much:

* We swam out to the swimming beach boundary, which was a rope with buoys, which is lovely to do. BUT - BE CAREFUL - do not touch the algae bits of rope, especially frayed ends. They have some organism in them which causes skin allergy. It was very painful, like falling in a big patch of nettles, all down my side and the back of my legs.

* Wifi didn't reach our chalet so was not worth paying for. Use one of the free cafes instead. Also, you can rent a laptop by the hour but it was in Turkish and had a trojan that stopped you getting on any site. Go to an Internet cafe instead.

* Orange juice was not included with the breakfast and had to be bought from the bar. The coffee was also rough unless you purchased the filter coffee from the bar. Drinkable, but rough.

* Some bald waiter generally perved after the women and told me he was a gynaecologist who saw 'ladies' in the afternoon between 2 and 5. He told another two English girls that if they needed a waiter to visit their room for sex, just tip him the sign. I guess there is a market for that kind of thing, though, and some people might upvote the hotel for that. Personally, I found it creepy.

Side is a great place but the old town should be toned down. Get rid of the neon and banging techno everywhere, get rid of the hundreds of identical shops selling fake bling, tell the shopkeepers and restaurant staff we don't need to be called out to and harassed every time we walk past their door. Make it more authentically Turkish like the little veg shop in the old town, run by the guy with the long hair who has his own organic farm. If there were more people like him in Side, I would definitely go back. As it is, I would rather find somewhere a bit quieter and less in your face.

* We booked directly with the hotel, and were quoted in pounds. But our bill was translated to Lira then we paid with card - with the double hit on commission, we ended up paying £100 more than the original quote, so watch out for this. Better to either pay in advance, or ask for a Euro or Lira price and pay cash.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank katkinsgalore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
eastbourne
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Looking back I recall I previously reviewed this hotel in May 2009. Unable to get a room at our first choice , the ' Beach House Hotel ' for my recent holiday I decided to give the Leda Beach a second chance as I wanted to stay close to ' Antique ' Side. On reflection maybe I should have tried a bit harder as this hotel has disappointed once again ! It's a shame really but I have realised a couple of things. Firstly if you're not a German guest then they have no interest in you.
Secondly any comments or complaints you do make are completely ignored and so there is no goodwill or appreciation of your custom whatsoever.
Forgetting all the comments I made following my previous visit I was prepared to give this hotel another go and this time booked one of the bungalows which it turned out was by the pool. Mistake !!.... Noisy and with air conditioning that was completely inadequate for the purpose so it was extremely difficult to sleep at nights ... like being in a noisy sauna ! . Inside the bungalow was adequately clean but I didn't appreciate the army of ants that took up residency in the shower room nor the fact that we were only given 1 towel each. Happily though we did get hot water this time, but then as the temperature was in the high 30's outside I would expect the water to be boiling !
If we consider the food...breakfast still very basic and geared towards the German taste although the restaurant where breakfast was served did manage to serve a nice meal for dinner and the service was appropriate. However, there was a 2nd restaurant attached to this hotel on the beach side. I only had one meal there and I have to say in honesty that IT WAS THE WORST MEAL I HAVE EVER HAD ANYWHERE I HAVE TRAVELLED !!... I have travelled extensively so believe me it was bad ! .. stone cold ( it was on the 'hot' food menu ) and bland would be an understatement. I did complain to the restaurant manager who seem completely disinterested and made no apology whatsoever .
Whilst I agree that this hotel does enjoy a good location it does need a facelift and a complete change of attitude from the unhelpful staff team they have there.
I consider the tariff for these rooms or bungalows is very high for what is being offered and with the bad attitude ..... next time ... no, there won't be one !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank simbolEastbourne
Crossgar, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We arrived around 6am at the ramshackle entrance, which needs a make over. The receptionist was sleeping but soon woke up enough to tell me that I'd booked economy accommodation and asked if I'd like an upgrade. I was suspicious and pointed at my booking document which didn't mention anything to do with 'economy'. I sternly demanded what I'd booked and after reading some of the reviews I can see now I was right. Some customers have been taken to a shack type room so that they'd obviously complain and be glad to pay extra to upgrade. Well, not me, I loudly demanded my room, pointing at the form. The receptionist came over all sweet, ' I have nice room for you with sea view' and took us there. I believe as the hotel was full, this was the room assigned to me anyway. He asked if we liked it then stood like a statue, waiting for a tip. He didn't get it as I was angry how he'd messed us about over the room and had kept my change when I'd paid for the safety deposit key; he thrust it into my hand 1 day later. He kept standing to attention and we had to ask him several times to leave the room! The whole charade left us with a creepy feeling. Another receptionist the next day charged 40Lira for internet but after 3 days with virtually no access I got a refund. This was also an unpleasant encounter. There are many steps in the hotel to encounter but the hotel meanders through lush gardens filled with various fruit trees.
I am investigating hotels and writing reports and can say that these are the only faults of Leda Beach. The location for anyone interested in ancient history is perfect. The Roman remains of Side are littered around the hotel and can be enjoyed anytime. The entrance fee for the amphitheatre is 10 Lira and the excellent museum is the same price but everything else is free. In the evening take an easy walk to the harbour to see the temple of Apollo but be prepared when walking through the town for many questions from the shopkeepers about who you are and where you're from; this is extremely tedious. The beach can be accessed from the rear of the hotel and is a perfect spot for relaxing. We took a boat trip to Manavgat to visit the market and had a lovely lunch on board followed by a swim in the ocean. We booked through 'Dr Asprin' who can be found on the beach front in 'The Neptune' next door to Leda. The food at the Leda is excellent but I think water and juice should be included and not extra. We were not allowed to bring drinks or food into the hotel, but we did and kept it in the fridge in our room. We didn't use the mini bar. A small bottle of water is 3 lira in the restaurant but less than 1/3 outside and then a tip is expected. I left tips for the excellent cleaning ladies who cleaned our comfortable room to perfection and for the chefs who worked so hard to provide delicious meals. Myriam is skilled at back massage and that was a real treat for us. We had constant hot water and no problems with ants or broken loos. Do NOT be taken in by the upgrade scam and if the internet isn't working - get a refund!

Room Tip: 107 is away from the pool, quiet and has a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Linda M
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Positives:

This hotel has a fantastic location, right in the centre of Side, on the beachfront. It is very close to the ruins, bars, restaurants, shops, tour agencies, etc. The beach is literally on the doorstep and Leda Beach Hotel guests have free use of sun loungers and beach parasols, with very helpful beach waiter/caretaker!

The hotel was clean and offered a good breakfast buffet. Rooms are nicely decorated with all the necessary facilities for a modest beach holiday.

Negatives:

Some of the staff were quite rude and deliberately unhelpful. Other staff don't speak any English at all which made communication very difficult.

We didn't like certain rules that they had at the hotel. For example, you are not allowed to bring in any food or drink into your room. This is very unusual and I have never stayed in any hotels where you are not allowed to keep your own refreshments in the room. Obviously, it is to encourage you to use their overpriced minibar.

All additional services are charged at an extra price. For example, a safety deposit box to lock up your valuables is charged at 10 euros per week. Wifi is charged at 50 euros per week, even though it is free at all beach bars and restaurants. Cold drinks, like water and juice, are not included with breakfast and must be paid for separately.

Conclusion:

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Leda Beach and would go back there! :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sarah T
yorkshire
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I agree with others that arriving at midnight the entrance way is a bit shabby, we did wonder what we had arrived at, however, by day we need not have worried. All staff were a delight including the cleaners who came in every day. Cannot beat the location of this hotel right on the beach and in the middle of the ruins. Breakfast was very good with lots of choice (but don't expect an English breakfast) you are in Turkey after all. Only criticism there was that they charged 4 lire extra for juice with your breakfast. The staff were unhappy that we ate out at other restaurants on an evening and one or other of the staff mentioned this most days. I would stay at the hotel again and would recommend it. Expect to be hassled when out and about from the shops and restaurants vying for custom.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank suepurple
Radcliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We (my girlfriend and I) spent one week here at the start of June 2013. We arrived late at night to a dodgy looking back alley entrance, which wasn't the best first impression. We needn't have worried though as in the daylight it looked far less threatening and the immediate proximity to everything Side had to offer was clear to see.
The first and most obvious positive to staying at Leda Beach is the location. Exiting the front of the hotel onto the main road puts you a stones throw away from the Amphitheatre and various smaller ruins. Whereas leaving through the back puts you virtually slap bang on the hotel's private beach and the promenade which is the gateway to the abundant restaurants and bars of this part of Side (not too mention Side Harbour with its famous Temple of Apollo).
A quick note about the bars, while we were there the nightlife was quite quiet, but by the end of our week it was starting to liven up nicely and we were gutted that we were going!! The Zone seemed like the place to be. Unfortunately though, if you're expecting cheap Turkish prices on booze think again! It was the same as, if not dearer than over here although food prices were quite reasonable. Were we to go again we would consider taking Euros instead of Lira as the majority of prices were actually in Euros.
The rooms at Leda Beach were of the basic variety but all that you needed for a pleasant stay. Clean, good air con and decent bathroom. We only sampled the included breakfast twice and preferred to eat breakfast at the beach restaurant behind the hotel. Belting cheese and ham toasties!!
Eating out in Side every evening was a delight, the restaurants and staff at each one were top notch! For a bit of posh nosh try Aphrodite in the harbour but our favourite had to be Alaadin, (a little way down the promenade after turning right upon exiting at the rear of the hotel) where the steaks were delicious!
All in all we would highly recommend Leda Beach Hotel and Side itself. It was perfect for our needs as a young couple. Romantic, historic, with great restaurants and decent nightlife.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AdiZabes
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We've liked this hotel. Nice swimming pool and very nice private beach. The staff was nice and professional, one of down points was that we've stayed at a bungalow near the pool and the AC was only working with the key inserted, there was only one key so each time we arrive at the room it was a complete sauna. The food was also good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family