“Don't go if you want entertainment!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Oz Side Hotel

Oz Side Hotel
Ranked #100 of 229 Hotels in Side
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Don't go if you want entertainment!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just got back today from Oz Side, like many people I read the reviews and thought I would make my own mind up on arrival!

I will start with the positives!

The hotel was spotless, the room wast cleaned every day and clean towels left.

The food was good, very repetitious chicken everyday, they also had BBQ a couple of nights.

Some of the staff were really nice, they work long hours so I wouldn't blame them for being a bit miserable, I have been to Turkey before and the people are really lovely, but some of the staff did need to try a bit harder!

The little shop on site is great, the guy who works there is lovely.

The Turkish baths are amazing and the prices are really good.
Now the negatives!

There is NO entertainment during the day at all, no animation team, NOTHING for the children to do at all, I chose this hotel for that reason, and thought people would do some research and not take children there, poor things only had the pool, it must have been boring for them, I was bored so .......

The all inclusive finished at 10.00, not just alcohol but tea and coffee, all the machines were switched off! I like all inclusive so you know that you don't have to spend a lot of money while you are there, but not the case here, we went out most nights after 10.00

They don't provide pool towels.

Mary! Well I found here to be ok, we learned to say hello, thank you etc in Turkish and she was fine with our party.

Would I go back, to Side yes, hotel Oz no!! If they had more entertainment ( Thursday they have a magician and Saturday night a belly dancer, who wants your money!) and relaxed the finishing time for the all inclusive it would be great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

After reading previous reviews. I went to this hotel with a complete open mind. I was pleasantly surprised . We arrived at 3am, the reception staff were friendly and showed us to our rooms. We hadn't requested rooms together but they had given us 3 together. The rooms were clean and we had water left in our fridge. The air conditioning was a god send. The rooms were cleaned everyday and fresh towels were left each day. The food was great something for everyone no one went hungry. There may not be a amazing amount of choice but its a 3 * hotel after all said and done. We all found the waiting staff fine you just needed to make an effort to speak & smile at them. The bar was limited but perfectly acceptable, we stayed in the hotel most evenings until 10 and then went around the corner to the bog of cocktails in the Serene bar. We didn't find the limit to one drink per person after 9.30. If you book any tours check out Mehmet seale tours adjoining the Serene bar. Would strongly recommend the Countryside tour with Charlie & Martin, be prepared to get wet, it was a great experience to see some of the history & countryside surrounding Side. We did a Turkish bath again what an experience. My children also visited the Troy watermark. All the tours were such good value. Mehmet also helped to change cash for us at a really good rate. , the shop next door was one of the best for shopping. Side town centre is worth a visit, but felt the shop owners were very pushy and didn't seem that keen on doing deals. We got the free shuttle bus to the beach but then wished we hadn't. Please remember tipping is expected in Turkey, no matter how big or small they are grateful, smaller currency is a must. Also everywhere takes euros which was a surprise. Can't wait for my next visit back to Turkey. Your on holiday make the most of it and enjoy the break.

Room Tip: You don't spend much time in your room. But I would go for over looking the pool. Our room was o...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim M
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I wouldn't absolutely recommend this hotel for family holiday. We have just comeback from oz hotel. It was a very bad experience: same food every day,staff unhappy and not welcoming, cigarettes smoke everywhere, rooms not cleaned at the time of your stay and blocked sewage stink.... So if you are family as we were with 2 children it will be cruel if you took them there.We feel we have been cheated by Thomas cook.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank rose4407

Travelers are raving about these Side hotels

Faversham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I returned home from a 2 week stay at this hotel on the 27th of July. Originally we were booked into Sunlight Garden (as seemed every other English person at the hotel) but Thomas Cook informed us VERY shortly before we went we had been overbooked and this was the only place available and due to desperation for a holiday we took it. After reading some of the VERY negative reviews I was a bit concerned but it is not as bad as it is made out to be. The staff are incredibly friendly and try really really hard despite working 6/7 days a week with 14-15 hours shifts. Yes, their English is not brilliant but the do try and communicate and really enjoy learning English phrases and appreciate the patience. I have to refer to Hassan on the bar at this point who is currently studying English and was fantastic! The food, after 3 days, was dissapionting and repetitive. I understand it can be difficult to produce a varied menu for 2 weeks but it was near enough the same every day with chicken nearly every single dish. I'm nowhere near a fussy eater and happily ate the dishes but after 3 days I was tired of the same food. The salad bar is very good however and food is regularly made available with afternoon tea (cakes and fruit and biscuits etc) to break up the length of time between lunch and dinner. It was quite a noisy hotel (I personally felt) with very large families. I wouldn't recommend for those who do have children however as there is nothing (And I mean nothing) for them to do apart from play in the pool and on the slide 2 hours a day... we met many families struggling because no entertainment was for children. There was a magic show on a Thursday night and a belly dancer on the Saturday night.. the magician was actually very good but the belly dancer was well... not so good. It is £24 for the safe for two weeks which is pretty reasonable for all the hotels I've stayed at and to stay till 8pm on your last day (late flights and all that) its only £15 . The reception are also quite happy to book resturants for you in town which come and pick you up free of charge (Aphrodite and Cheers to name two). The town is quite a walk in the heat (52 degrees one lunch time) but we found it was fine to walk into town and get a taxi home for about 15 lire which is about a fiver. The beach is miles away but there is a free shuttle bus... but do expect to buy atleast on drink of the guys who run the shuttle bus when you get there- its cheap enough and you will want one! The beach is very very hot so be careful and take lots of suncream. You do get what you pay for at this hotel and it is good for the price but they could simply improve the food and chuck in some entertainment and we would definitely come back. Nevertheless, the restaurant Serena (pretty much next door/across the road) is very very very cheap and has really lovely food - their full English breakfast is just like the one at home and their lasagne was amazing. Change money up at the post office in town... we got a rate of 3lire to the pound which is incredible. If you are going here, already booked up and everything... don't be put off by the bad reviews is a basic , extremely clean friendly hotel but it is basic. The shop is very good and the owner is lovely (buy ruffles not pringles as they're cheaper and you get as many!). The pool does get VERY crowded as the school holidays started and we had to fight for a sunbed but luckily the hotel owner did order some more to help matters a bit. Our room was basic but very clean and had everything - fridge, telly etc. Make sure you speak to Barbara the lovely lovely English lady who works there to book spa treatments. The hotel does have a spa and it is amazing and very cheap - we had Turkish baths (amazing do not miss!!) and massages and treatments throughout our stay! Barbara will also assist with any problems and is very knowledgable of the area. As I said the staff are lovely just make a bit of effort with them and say hello - I had heat rash for a few days but I went down to the spa and they applied aloe vera and stuff to cool it free of charge. All the hotel needs to do it up the food and entertainment and it would be great for the price! However I do not think I will be returning to Turkey in the future as we found it quite touristy and a bit tacky as you get constantly harassed in the town to buy things. The air con is included in your room for free and trust me... you won't turn it off!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front of the hotel as after talking to other people it was a little bit qui...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Samantha C
Knottingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I booked into Sunlight Garden Hotel in Side to go on 23rd june 2013 and two days before we set off Thomas Cook changed our hotel to Oz Side Hotel. I had read the reviews on oz Side and fought tooth and nail to get into Sunlight Garden, where we had been last year and had a good enjoyable holiday. Thomas Cook had stitched us up and as we found out later at least thirteen other people over the next two weeks, sending us all into Oz Side Hotel. It was obvious that they were accepting any bookings for Sunlight Garden knowing that they had plenty of empty rooms to put the overbookings into oz Side, which made us worried in itself. Why so many empty rooms in Hotel Oz Side.
We went anyway, as the only other choices Thomas Cook gave us were to cancel our holiday or pay an extra £440 pounds to upgrade to another Hotel.
Although it wasn't the Hotel we wanted to go in to and doesn't compare with the Sunlight garden, I will give an honest review (In my opinion) of the Oz Side Hotel.
We got there and the reception staff seemed friendly enough and spoke good english and our cases were carried to our rooms for us.
The room we were given was below road level and all we could see were tree trunks of the palm trees growing outside and legs of people walking by on the pavement above.
The room itself had a double bed and bunk beds which meant that there wasn't much space and there was one wardrobe and two drawers, so no room to keep all your clothes (and it was classed as a family room) It had one socket spare in the bathroom, which made it awkward for charging anything.
There was free air conditioning, a fridge, TV and hairdryer.
As we had had a carry on with Thomas Cook before we came away we didn't bother complaining about the room and just put it down to another downer on our holiday, but if we had of complained, I have no doubt that we would have got moved as there were other vacant rooms.
The swimming pool was surrounded by oz Side on one side and the Hotel next door on the other and the only room around the pool was taken up with sun loungers, with no other room to spare.
You had to get up early to get a sunlounger and mat to go on the lounger otherwise if you managed to get a lounger later you were not guaranteed a mat as there weren't enough for the loungers.
There was a big slide at the side of the pool which went into a small pool (for the slide only) and the slide opened for a short while twice a day.
Loungers and mats were easier to get on changeover days when people went home and new arrivals came later.
The bar, which consisted of a bar and two tables and a pool table, was next to the pool and it opened on to the dining room, so the bar was hardly a place to meet other holiday makers, or a hubbub of chatter and laughter.
The meals were mainly Turkish, which is not a complaint, as we have been to Turkey eight times now and always enjoyed the food, even when it was basic, but in the Oz Side there wasn't much of a choice.
There was a guy doing omelettes some mornings and pancakes others and if all else failed, there was a sandwich toaster. Try to get a smile or good morning out of the guy and you have done better than anybody who was there when we were.
For dinner,there was always chips and smiler also did burgers, as well as the sparse choice of meals.
We know that Turkey is a muslim country and chicken is the main choice for meals, but chicken stew gets boring after a week. There was the odd variation, but it was usually drumsticks.
On other reviews, people have called the staff ignorant and I think that is a bit strong, as they were very efficient in their jobs, but most not very talkative and as they took your plates away and we said thank you, many of them didn't even seem to acknowledge us. We put this down to, either they didn't understand english, or they were told not to fraternise with or disturb the guests.
This seemed more evident as the week went on, as the guests were probably a fifty-fifty split between scandinavians and british. Nothing wrong with that and definitely nothing wrong with scandinavians as they were all getting on together, it was just that everybody seemed quiet and sombre.
There was no animation crew and no entertainment on an afternoon.
People did get the odd drink from the bar on an afternoon,but only the odd drink as everybody seemed happy to lie and relax and sunbathe.
There are a few bars and shops in the vicinity and the beach is a ten minute walk.
On an evening, some families sat in the dining room off the bar having the odd drink and played cards or dominoes and disappeared at 10pm (yes, 10pm) when the bar shut.
Some people in the hotel never even bothered using the bar on a night, but went out for a walk instead.
The Hotel is obviously an hotel which people book into for a quiet relaxing holiday and don't want to have a knees up every night or get involved in fun and games with others.
Not that, that makes it a bad Hotel, it is a certain type of Hotel that certain people like for their type of holiday and good luck to them, it just isn't the type of holiday which we prefer that is why we booked the Sunlight garden Hotel.
The week which we were there, there were only two evenings when there was entertainment on. The first, a belly dancer and magician, the second another belly dancer and as soon as she came round expecting people to put money into her costume for doing a short dance routine, the place emptied, so she packed up and went.
All in all, if it is a quiet relaxing holiday that you want, with no noise or atmosphere, where you can keep yourself to yourself, then this is the place for you.
As I said before, it isn't a bad Hotel, but I can't say that it is set up as an all inclusive Hotel as it isn't big enough or got the facilities for AI and should give the option of half and full board as well.
If you want a quit relaxing holiday and book into Oz Side, I hope that you enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room and avoid ground floor rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rabski3
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week stay. On arrival to Oz Side my 1st impressions where OMG what have i booked!!! Side is a relatively new resort and there is a lot of waste land unused and new hotels etc being built and thats the area that this hotel is in. Dont let the 1st impression worry you, the hotel was very clean, rooms are a bit small but its a budget hotel afterall and you get what you pay for. The sheets and towels are changed daily and the maids are lovely. the pool is cleaned every morning at 5am (i sleep little) and the pool area is also cleaned daily. The food is fresh, maybe a bit repetitive but I always found something, there is a lot of chicken. The all inclusive hours from 9am to 10pm is no different from any of the other all inclusive hotels that ive stayed at in other areas of turkey.

2 mins round the corner is the Serena restaurant serves BOGOF Cocktails from 10pm to 11pm and the staff are excellent, we ate in there few evenings and the food was fantastic and cheap. The main strip of side is a 15min stroll as are the infamous ruins and stunning harbor area.

In the other direction is the Red Lion Sports Bar which is also a good spot and has great entertainment to which we headed to a few evenings after the All Inclusive finished and had a great night karaoke and music into the wee small hours.

In nutshell if your looking for a great wee hotel to lay by the pool during the day, get your 3 meals a day and be a good base to Side then this hotel is perfect. On a slightly different note if your used to the commercialized resorts of Marmaris or Bodrum then you will get a shock in Side, its more international with a wide range of visitors from Europe and other parts of Turkey. As well as traditional.

To book trips walk to the Serena Restaurant and ask for Memhet (Seale Tours) for fantastic prices much cheaper than Thomas Cook and much more included.

we would return to this hotel as long as the price was right.

Room Tip: the rooms facing the pool would be quieter as the rooms facing the street get the noise from a neigh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Clair T
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Iv just come back from a week in oz side hotel I went with my parnter and my 1 year old my mum and 13 year old brother the hotel for kids is a joke when booking I was told there was entertainment and the beach was a 5minute walk well that was a lie when we arrived I felt like I was in the middle of no where something like the inbetweeners movie not even joking!!! The hotel was very clean I must say and the food was ok not for the childen but I ate out most of the time the pizzas round the corner from the hotel are very good the pool is very clean and the slide is fun for the kids that's open from 12 to 1 then from 4 to 5 I had many of problems with this hotel the first when I got there arriving at 7 in the morning from a night flight I didn't get any help with my buggie or cases they put me in a second floor room I couldn't take the stairs everyday so I asked to moved they moved me no problem also my second problem the room cards they only gave us one which there was 2 paying adults and when that card broke or was damaged you have to pay that happened to many of the people staying at the hotel so I think that's a way they make a bit of money I liked side but I wouldn't ever stay at this hotel again the reviews you read are all true everyone is so moody unlike if you've been to other parts of turkey before if you book this hotel good luck your need it!!

• Stayed July 2013