“Lovely Time”

Ranked #2 of 86 Side B&B and Inns
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely Time”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We (family of 5 inc 7yr old) arrived at approx 5am following the rubbish Thomas Cook flights. You cant see much at that time in the morning. However, after a nap we awoke to amazing sunsine and intense heat, which is to be expected in August! The apartments were very spacious albeit pretty basic. They were generally clean and tidy. Great for a "base" and a place to sleep. We went self catering and to be honest, there really isnt enough "kit" in the apartments to do this effectively (you have to hire a toaster) and just 2 cooking rings (great fridge though), but this didnt matter as eating out was cheap and the food was excellent everywhere. The pools were great and clean, beach is v hot! We all had a lovely time. I had been very worried prior to going given some of the horrific reviews I had read, but once there I was able to relax and enjoy myself. There was nothing inherently wrong with Mellissa Gardens, just basic and not as up to date as you would perhaps like. For a place to rest and sleep, no problems. There is on site entertainment every other night and although we didnt partake, we could see everyone having a good time from our balcony just above the bar area. Noise levels were nothing like I had read about. Yes there was music noise in the evening from the bar area, but what do you expect......people are on hoiliday having a good time. It wasnt too loud or intrusive at all and in some ways you can find a bit of noise comforting? Turkish people were absolutely lovely, very friendly without overstepping the mark. They love it if you learn a few basic Turkish words and they are great with Kids, took a couple of days to get your head around that aspect, but again thats more of a refection on our society rather than theirs. If you are after a cheap holiday, no frills, clean, safe, good food, friendly people and plenty of sun, then I think you could do a lot worse. Thanks Melissa Gardens, my first trip to Turkey was a sucess and thoroughly enjoyable.

Room Tip: We had rooms 33 and 34, great for pool views and minimal noise levels.
2 Thank Jonny_C_JC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I paid for my girlfriend to have a holiday with her girlfriends for a present and I honestly can say it's the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. The staff are the reason for this. They are all perverts that look at how many girls they can sleep with and they see woman as below them. Even though I didn't go I am now receiving emails on Facebook from one of the waiters trying to wind me up and being very observed saying how he slept with my girlfriend all the time while she was over there! If your a boyfriend looking to treat your girlfriend to a lasses holiday, never ever waste your money on this brovel hotel...

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank coinzy92
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Mum on my own with 7yr old son. On arrival 4 lads were working at reception in regular clothing. It was like a gang of mates hanging out for the day. When I produced my passport I was asked for my facebook details instead. They thought this was hillarious. I was then asked to hand over 70 euros for aircon and 30 euro for a toaster for my 2wk holiday. When I opened my door all the curtains were pulled which I soon realised was to hide the generator and sign of the hotel right outside my window on the main busy and very noisy road! In shock I begged to be moved to be told they would check tomorrow. On opening the patio door to the balcony the lock on the door broke so I had to be moved to another room funnily enough which became available! This room above my old one was no better with the toilet door locking when closed and the curtain rail falling on my sons head when he attempted to close the curtains. Then the music from the bars kept us awake till 4am in the morning, again I was told they would see if they could change my room the next day. I was told. the next day by other holidaymakers that 3 girls arrived that night and refused to stay in the apartments sitting on their suitcases. For anyone booking these apartments you need to know there are two properties within this complex. They have a much better apartment block across the road from the main hotel. There is a lack of cooking facilities and supermarkets, you will be eating out and it is not cheap! Luckily for me I had friends at another hotel and with their help and the fantastic reps lee and Ross with Thomas Cook I was transferred . The staff at melissa Gardens were very nice to me but then again they did have an extremely unhappy customer. The staff are constantly in your personal space, which is really annoying , glad I didnt have to put up with it for the rest of my holiday! These apartments are not suitable for familys !!!!!!!
Thomas Cook need to review their star rating, 1 star is about best.

Room Tip: If staying here you need to ask for the apartments in the block away from the main pool area,
1 Thank crokepark-11
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We have just returned from a two week holiday at Melissa Gardens and had a great time. Although some points others have made are true on the whole the holiday was great. First impressions when you arrive were slightly concerning as we arrived about 3 in the morning the shops outside the front of the appartments were closed and had rubbish outside so everything looked a bit deserted after seeing other people being dropped off a posh hotels we were a little worried but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. We got shown to our room which was was more than big enough for a family of 5. The room could do with a bit of an upgrade and coat of paint but ok. The pool area and bar was great and staff on the whole very helpfull. The bars and shops close by are fab, The Golden Fizz being our favourite, the staff were the most helpfull and friendly we have ever come across. My girls enjoyed the Queens just down the road(probably something to do with the dance show the waiters did!). Side is about a 5-10 minute ride on the Dolmas which stops outside and is a great place to shop and eat in. The only down side to the holiday was the music did go on abit late into the evening on some nights but when mentioned to the staff they turned it down. If you don't tell them they can't do anything about it. This was the first time to Turkey and would reccomend it as i said before first impressions wern't good but had a very enjoyable holiday and would go back. Met some great people too.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Returned from Melissa Gardens on the 14th Aug.....After arriving at around about 3 am, very tiered, we were shown into the reception by the Thomas Cook rep....off she went, then the hotel could find no recolection of us on there system, but said," dont worry, no problem, we have room"....we had to show them all our paper work, for proof that we had booked with Thomas Cook, why would the rep off taken us there if we had'nt, that was the 1st hiccup...we were then shown to a room....pokey little studio, fine and clean, if thats what we had payed for, but we had payed a supplement of all most £200, for a one bed apartment, so we wanted what we had payed for...so we said , no, this is'nt what we want, so we came back down the 60+ stairs, with heavy bags, back to the reception, to be shown to a one bed appart...which was propbably going to be fine, if there was'nt some body all ready sleeping in there, oh yeah and by the way, it was the Security Guard that had opened the door to the appartment....NOT GOOD....we then were taken back to the reception, and told if we slept in, the 1st pokey room we were shown, they would have a suitable one for us in the morning at 9 am..by this time it was 4 am....in the morning we were moved to another room, which i'm sure we could off gone straight into in the first place, it was obviously empty when we arrived. The pool area was fine...apart from some days, the staff were wanting to move you and shift your sunbeds, so that they could set up tables for the evening, and it was only 4pm...pool apparently closes at 7pm, so we did'nt take kindly to being turfed of our sunbeds. When the staff set other tables up, for Turkish night & open kebab nights, the plates were layed out at 10am...ready for the evening, YUK...flies, bugs etc...when we tried to explain this to the staff, they just laughed and thought we were joking, SUNBEDS,well....i looked over the balcony at 7.30am on our first morning, and almost every sunbed had a towel on it, but no one to be seen, and this was the norm all most the whole of the holiday....STAFF, good and bad, they liked you if you ate in there restuarant, otherwise quite rude..Elvis especially., very arogant . On saying all this there were some good points about the holiday..., We went to Side 2yrs ago ( different hotel ), so it was nice to go back, and bump into people we had met then......met some lovely people this time as well. Found some lovely places to eat, eg, The Queen, great food and entertainment, staff really looked after you, Cheers is another lovely place to eat..Sunflower Beach, right on the seafront, great food, and lovely staff. May go back to Turkey another year...but NOT the Melissa gardens.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sharon w
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I had not planned on writing a review of the Melissa Gardens Hotel but, having returned and seen the most recent reviews, am shocked at how they portray a completely different experience to the one had by us.

The waiters at the hotel were very helpful and could not do enough for you. We were aware at some of the 'press' they had got on the tripadvisor website and were mindful of this, but there was nothing untoward about them and (oddly) we didn't see a single love bite during out stay. This may very well be down to our trip being at the start of the school holidays and therefore more families with children staying/ less groups of 'girls' as prices were higher, so there may be something to be said for this, although it doesn't fit at all with our experiences Overall, day and night, we found staff helpful, willing to go out of their way for you and making every effort to socialise with everyone in the bar area - friends, couples, families etc. The entertainment provided by the hotel was better than expected - the Turkish night was great, as was the kebab night and the magician was suprisingly good!

The rooms at the hotel were very modern, very spacious and clean. Our bathroom was basic compared to the rest of the room but the remainder of our party had a separate room with a beautifully refurbished bathroom. There are two very nice pools - one by the main restaurant area and a quieter one which is a lot more chilled out with its own bar area. In the main pool, however, I was not able to stand without being on tip-toes (I am 5'4 and the smallest of our group)! Not a huge problem but I noticed this! There is also a shallower children's pool immediately next to the main pool. The pools never seemed to be 'too' busy and there was always a relaxed atmosphere.

The location is very good with the hotel tucked away from a main 'strip' of shops. Out of the main entrance and right, there is an EXCELLENT pharmasist who we visited several times with various ailments - his English was fantastic and he was incredibly helpful. There are lots of nice little shops and restaurants and the PR 'people' on the street will try to get you to go inside but in a non-intrusive way. We were advised by out rep that they are no longer allowed to walk in front of you or touch you in any way so your space should always be respected. 'Yusef's' restaurant is a very nice place to eat - great food and excellent service from the staff. You will find that, once you are a customer, the staff really go out of their way for you.

Coming out of the main entrance and turning left, there is a little 'excursions' shop where you can book rafting, boat trips etc - we were a little apprehensive about booking a trip outside of the tour operator. We need not have been concerned - we got a fantastic price (once we learnt to haggle - fun once you know how!) on the Dolphin Island trip. Highly recommended - a lovely chilled day out and not too busy. The only let down for me was the beach - it was okay but nothing to shout about in comparison to the rest of our holiday. We would definately return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Happy_Holidayer070
East Yorkshire
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Don't panic when you read some of the other reviews as people like to be catty!
You should not go to Turkey if you aren't already aware of how Turkish men can be! You just have to go with an open mind, they are very friendly you just need to be clear to them if they are hassling you. I have been various resorts in Turkey and can say Side is not half as bad for hassling you into restaurants/bars as some places!
It was not like a brothel at all! Its good sized, cheap and friendly place to chill out and the bar staff interact with you to entertain you. By night, yes they do want you to eat in their restaurant, you don't have to, as mentioned queens is lovely. The hotel do provide some good entertainment on various nights though. All in all, good large apartments, cheap as chips, a laugh, good staff, good pool, great weather and v close to beach! NB-The taxi drivers are mental if you wanna go into Side town, you can get shuttle buses too but if there's a few of you taxi is probably better for comfort just wear your seat belt!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends