“Lovely Hotel but.......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 228 Hotels in Side
Northern Ireland
“Lovely Hotel but.......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We arrived at midnight to check in. I asked the receptionist to assure me we were getting the larger side sea view room which we had paid a supplement for. He told me all the double rooms were the same size. We were put on the top floor (8th), these rooms are a bit like attic rooms with very enclosed balconies which was a bit claustrophobic. We did not unpack and decided to wait to speak to the Rep in the morning. I asked another receptionist if they could move us but she said they were full and we would have to wait until the next day to move. I spoke to the Rep who told me that we should have a double or twin beds with either a chaise longue or a bed settee which we didn't have. I was then give a key for a different room but as it overlooked a dump for broken sunbeds, furniture etc I declined it. Another key was given which was an ideal room but the receptionist then said it had a plumbing problem. Third key was given and we we moved. The room was twice the size of the original one. Amazing how they can conjure up 3 different rooms when the hotel is full.
I would not pay a supplement for a side sea view room as about75% of the rooms have a seaview .
The rooms are lovely and kept spotlessly clean, the mini bar we restocked every day, only a couple of English news channels on the TV, great to have tea and coffee making facilities.
The pool area is lovely with mattresses provided for the loungers, pool was very cold and very few people used it. I can't comment on the beach area ad we did not go there. Pool towels are provided but you have to pay €1 each time you wanted to change it!
The food was varied and plentiful and we were able to eat in 3 of the a la carte restaurants which was a nice break from the buffet. We thought the Eastern International restaurant was the best.
Wine was very drinkable and the spirits were strong (not watered down as in some hotels).
Tip boxes everywhere! Staff are so much more attentive if you give them some euro or lira early on in your stay. On the 1st day our maid told me she was off the next day and stood waiting obviously for a tip to spend! The majority of the staff were pleasant with a few exceptions, especially some of the reception staff, I really don't like being lied to.
Side town is just 10 mins in a dolmus and they stop just outside the hotel. There is also a promenade walk which takes about 40mins. The ruins of the old town are very interesting.
There is a market on Thursday at Manavgat and a smaller one in Side on Saturday, Same dolmus will take you to either. There is also a small tourist bus which takes you from the dolmus station in to the town for 45 cents or 1 Turkish lira. There are also a number of shops just outside the hotel. Most things are priced in Euros although they will take any currency. We found it easier with Euros rather than having to convert the Turkish lira.
The Animation team worked very hard and the evening entertainment was very good.
I know this hotel is advertised as a 5 star and certainly some aspects of it are indeed 5 star but comparing it with other 5star hotels we have stayed at in the Antalya region it falls very short of the mark. The hotel advertises a Patisserie, in the hotel we stayed at in April the Patisserie was a proper coffee shop with salads, fresh rolls, sandwiches and heavenly pastries. In the Melas it was a room with some tables and chairs, at the top table you had a few plates with cheese rolls, biscuits and some pastries with a coffee machine to help yourself, rather disappointing!
In other 5 star hotels I have never had to pay for the safety deposit box, the wi-fi or to change the pool towels. In other in the area they serve sparkling wine in the evening and Irish coffees after dinner included in the all incThese are small details that I believe make the guests feel the hotel is a bit more special.
The hotel guests here are predominantly German and Dutch with some Eastern Europeans. We were a party of 3 and there was only 2 other English people there. This was in no way a problem for us. I speak a little German which helped as the staff usually spoke to us in German first and also to speak with other guests. Occasionally we found some people who didn't follow the aspect of queuing!
All in all we had a lovely week at the Melas, 7days of cloudless skies was a bonus.
Would I go back to the hotel? No I don't think so unless they had a really good deal on offer. There are too many similarly priced 5 star hotels in the region that have so much more to offer.

Room Tip: Not the 8th floor! Try asking for a pool view room as you also get a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank barbarobin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Melas for the 3 time at the end of September. Transfer from Antalya Airport to Side only took 40 minutes and we were the second drop off. When we got to reception first impressions of the hotel were good. The reception staff, Petra in guest relations and porters were all very helpful to ensure that you had a lovely stay.

ROOMS – The rooms are absolutely fantastic and have been recently been refurbished. All have very modern decor, wooden flooring and it was spotlessly clean. We had a good sized bathroom, power shower and plenty of toiletries and nice fluffy towels. The mini-fridge is restocked daily with still and sparkling water, beer, fanta and coke free of charge. There is a safe in the room which has a small daily charge which worked out to be less than £1 per day.

RESTAURANT- The main restaurant is buffet style and what a fantastic selection of salads, meats, fish, pasta and desserts. There is definitely something for everyone. The quality of wine and beers was very good and these were served by friendly waiters. Murat the manager was superb and had everything to a tee.The same applies at lunch time.

There are 3 themed restaurants, Turkish, Eastern and the Western. The International restaurant is a new feature and great addition to the hotel. We tried the Western night and the food was excellent. It had a lovely salad starter, and a European theme of Pasta and Schnitzel. As it is very popular a top tip is to book at guest relations as soon as you can. We really enjoyed the faultless service from our waiter.

BEACH BAR - Great for salad, pizza, burgers, chicken kebab and fresh fruit. Pizza Melas was my particular favourite! The waiters take your order and the service was efficient and friendly. Nicely shaded in parts with lovely views of the sea. The beach had plenty of loungers and umbrellas.

POOL- The pool is a good size and we had no problem getting sun loungers. Mehmet was always keen to oblige and a nice touch was for him to get the blue mats which were put over the loungers for comfort. It is a minor irritation that you have to pay to change pool towels at the indoor pool at the cost of €1 per towel.

BAR - Good selection of coffee, teas, beer, wines and cocktails. Plenty of seating and all waiter service. There is an additional charge for the international brands which can be expensive.

The hotel is still receiving awards and overall we were once again well impressed. Great weather, good food, excellent service, friendly staff and we would go back again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Parky1Glasgow
melas2001, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Melas Resort Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2015
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have just returned from having a fantastic stay at the Melas Resort Hotel, both myself and my husband stayed there from the 19th September to 3rd October, we had a brilliant time and could not have asked for a better holiday. The hotel was very clean and the food was great, we have both come home having to go on a diet.
On our arrival we were advised that our room was not ready and we had given a room for the night due to this - on the 8th floor, one of the suites with a sea view, this room was beautiful and we were sad to leave the following morning! We spent the remainder of our stay in room 1615 with a side sea view which was just as good but smaller and suited our needs. The room was well equipped and cleaned daily, the bathroom consistent of a power shower, again fantastic!!

We had the opportunity to have dinner in the al a carte both Western and Eastern (this one on my birthday) both were good and were enjoyed by both of us. I have to congratulate the hotel for the variety of food that was offered breakfast, lunch and dinner, my husband was over the moon to have strawberries both at lunchtime and dinner!

The staff within the hotel were excellent and were happy to deal with any issues and worked hard to ensure the best level of service, everyone had nice friendly attitude and was polite and said hello. We would like you to pass on a personal message to Sabahattin Fartli who worked hard between both the Restaurant and Lobby Bar and thank him for tending to us over our 2 weeks stay, he was always around to serve us drinks etc and have a laugh with my husband - Scottish jokes! We appreciated this very much and it made our stay even more enjoyable.

Good location and walked into Side town a couple of times both during the day and night, this took us approx 30mins.

We would definitely recommend the Melas to friends and family and have advised our tour operator the same. Would have no hesitation to return to the Melas for another holiday.

3 Thank Loui74
melas2001, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Melas Resort Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2015
Dear Loui,
thank you for the time you have taken to write a comment on this page.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was our seventh visit to the Melas Hotel and as in the past we could not fault it . The staff work so hard to make sure you are given the best of service. They are always friendly, polite and go out of their way to help you. The rooms are clean and well equipped and had a total refit last year.
There is a choice of four restaurants (fish, Turkish, international and the main) and the food is of a high standard and a good choice. Yes there are more Germans than English but is this such a bad thing, no, their standards are usually high so as far as I am concerned this is a good sign. I would suggest that if you wish to holiday with English stay in England.

I have no hesitation to recommend this hotel and if it is your first visit to Turkey it is a very good place to start

1 Thank 926Kayb
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was our 6th visit to Turkey, but our first to the Melas Hotel. Stayed 3rd to 17th Sept.
Good points: Check In was excellent - very helpful - insisted on completing the registration cards for us! Room large, very clean and well appointed & kept clean. Shower the best we've seen. Food well cooked and usually plentiful. Beach clean and few rocks (not like Sunrise Queen next door where we were last year). Could go to the Pool at 9 or the beach at 10 and still get a decent location for a lounger - towel fight not required. Most of the staff spoke English and were very helpful. A la carte restaurants (western International & Fish) were superb
Poor points: Had to pay for change of beach towels, & Safe box in the room. NO rooms available to change in on last day, late checkout not possible. Food well cooked ( as mentioned above) but very boring. No specialities, nothing special as in all others we've stayed in. Spoke to an Italian and other Brits who felt that the hotel needed to improve their game and that they would not be returning. Would we return - would look at other hotels first (especially the Sunrise Queen where we were last year - couldn't get in this year)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandy7714
Dear Sandy,
thank you for choosing Melas Resort for your holiday and for the time you have taken to write a comment on this page.
Your criticisms and suggestions will be evaluated and monitored by the departments.
It was a pleasure to welcome you.
With best Regards,
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Last minute get away to this hotel. Choice made based on good reviews and my last visit to Turkey - Dalaman was fantastic. On arrival check in was swift. My room was brilliant, modern, clean and bright, the decor was first class. The main restaurant served a variety of food. Not the best I've tasted, but I was always able to find something to eat. The beach was clean and easily accessible via poolside lifts

Now something that concerned me greatly...

A LOT of Germans at hotel, I heard probably 3 other English speaking guests there during my stay 3 day stay. Unfortunately from experience, lots of people of German descent seem to believe that they own the whole hotel, which manifests in their behaviour towards those of other nationalities or cultures. That is not the most concerning issue I have and I am not tarnishing all German travellers with the same brush, cos they're not all the same.

As a single, British, non white, 'well travelled' traveller, this is the first time EVER while travelling that I have felt unsafe in a hotel environment or tourist resort. The looks given to me by the German guests, security staff and some members of staff made me feel, like, a non German in Hitler's Germany, a black person in 1960's Alabama and one of my parents generation who had just accepted the invitation from the British government to come and work in the UK and having arrived, read the signs on doors which said, "No Irish, No Dogs, No Blacks!!

I spoke to one of the members of the reception staff and asked him how many English people there were in the hotel currently and he said including me, there were 17, then I asked how many guests there were in total and he said about 550!! The majority being German. I then asked him how many non white people stay at the hotel during the year, "not many" he said! Well no wonder I was the spectacle of the Melas Hotel!!, good job I was only there for a few days.

So... before you book this hotel in this resort, if you care at all about more than decor - to all Singles - think first, to all British - read reviews from other hotels so that you are not in the minority, to all Non white couples - Beware, to all Non White Singles - DON'T GO TO THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank cr8ted2praze
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just got back from a wonderful holiday with my husband. Start with the check in and because it was about 1.30am and only 6 others, it went like clockwork and we were shown to our room. Our room was 1109 with a side sea view but we were on a lower floor so our view of the sea was through the palm trees but it suited us. The room was large, clean and spacious. The bathroom was huge. It had a jacuzzi bath with a shower over and a large powerful walk in shower. Mini fridge had some soft drinks, two cans of Effes and bottled water which came in very handy. This was restocked daily. Housekeeping was 1st class, clean white towels daily and some marvellous scupltures with the towels and flowers. Flat screen TV but with only German and Turkish channels. One BBC news programme but what the heck who goes on holiday to watch TV.
The food is of a high qualitly with lots of choice. If you can't find something then you are either very fussy of have a food intolerence. Speciality restaurants are also of a high quality but you book them in the main desk.
The beach was clean and you could find a sunbed. The Germans do get up early and reserve them by placing there towels on them. We used the pool all bar one day and yes if you can't beat em then join em. So because I got up early anyway my towel was on the sunbed for 7am. Special thanks to Memhet the lifeguard for allowing us the use of a clean towel and showers on our final day in Side, he was a really pleasant guy who would do anything to help.
The cocktails on the All Inclusive are excellent and would recommend the Sex on the Beach.
Overall a brilliant holiday. We will be going again.