“Semarks South Wales”

Ranked #14 of 229 Hotels in Side
Newport, United Kingdom
“Semarks South Wales”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Hi all- we have just spent our first holiday in Turkey at this hotel. We were a party of eight
friends who get together periodically and holiday together. We found the management and all the staff most friendly and we enjoyed most things about our stay. One thing we must make comment on is the fact that the air-conditioning had been turned off just prior to our arrival on the 10th October (Management policy) and we found the bedrooms at night a little uncomfortable. We were very impressed with the way the General Manager Ali spent quite a lot of his time wandering amongst guests and chatting with everyone. We would certainly holiday at this hotel again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JOAN S
CrystalSunriseQueen, CRYSTAL SUNRISE QUEEN CRM at Crystal Sunrise Queen Luxury Resort & SPA, responded to this review, January 12, 2015
Dear JOAN S,

Thank you for taking the time to write such fantastic comments in your review. It is extremely rewarding to hear that our guests have had a memorable experience with us and that you would recommend our Hotel to others.

Once again, many thanks for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Crystal Sunrise Queen again in the very near future.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Hi all - this is a first for me, writing a "review", not something I normally do.

I was amazed to read the reviews left by other people that have recently stayed at the
Crystal Sunrise Queen Hotel, as some were so similar to our experiences I couldn't believe it.

We booked Nov 2012 via First Choice / Thomson to go here, arriving 4th October for 2 weeks. There was myself and my wife plus another couple, my wife's daughter and her husband. The only advance requests we made with Thomson were "rooms close together", "high floor and quiet rooms if possible" and "room with a bath please". The latter was because my wife had had a replacement hip and knee on the same side and was wary of slipping in a shower.

We arrived very excited on the 4th. We had hired two cars when booking and travelled to the hotel independently from the airport, no hitches, found the place eventually!

Amazing driveway into the hotel complex, great atmosphere. Parked up, helpful porters took cases into reception no problem.

Reception: This is where the fun started! (well stress to be truthful). We went up to reception and spoke to a small pregnant Turkish lady (one of two pregnant receptionists we are now aware of). I only mention the pregnant bit so others may relate to who we are on about, nothing more! This lady smiled, good start! I said "Hello" - she now knew we were English I guess. "Can I help you?" she said. I explained we wanted to check in and gave our names etc. "Have you got your room booking?" she said. I explained I only had my holiday confirmation documents and showed her the Thomson paperwork. "No - I need your room booking!" she said. I explained this was all I had, "Sorry" I said. "No problem - I have it" she said.

She then said "The Hotel is full". "I need to give you a free upgrade to another room, OK". I was a bit taken aback and really should have just taken this on the chin I guess but couldn't stop myself from stating the obvious "sorry, what do you mean you are full, we booked this about a year ago?". "No problem", she said, we have other rooms for you. So, we were given cards to enter the alternative rooms and led off by the porter to our accommodation. We left the main hotel building and went through the back garden to a "block" which was the "family accommodation". Our family was at the end of a long corridor and we were at the other end, not adjacent rooms that we had requested but hey, we were on holiday, not the end of the world we thought. The porter tried to use the card to enter the room but it wouldn't work. He fiddled around with it for a few minutes, I'm sure swore in Turkish a few times under his breath and then explained in broken English "please wait, I go reception". He returned after about 5 minutes, out of breath as we were some distance from reception. He was armed with a key rather than a card which opened the door fine.

We went in, he brought the cases in, very helpful and I gave him 50 Turkish Lira for his trouble, about £17 I think. He was cheerful and very helpful and you never know when you are going to need them again!

Initially the room seemed fine, just the initial disappointment that we were nowhere near our family. The my wife said, "oh, look, there's no bath". I couldn't believe it, this was something that was pretty important to her and I wanted everything to be just right for her. She said not to worry but I said I would go back to reception and see what I could do about getting another room but with a bath. She said it really didn't matter and didn't want a fuss, - we were cream crackered by this time anyway. She started unpacking and I went off back to reception. I made a point of seeing the same lady and explained that "I'm really sorry but we requested a room with a bath but we only have a shower". She said "we have no baths Sir, all the rooms just showers". we then had a "to do" as I explained we had booked "a year ago" and requested a bath. She explained, very assertively, "this is not the hotels fault, this is Thomson's fault, they always do this, we have no baths, they should have told you this, it is not our fault". I thought oh well, that's that but then asked "do you not have any rooms at all in the hotel that have baths?". She said "we do have baths, not this room, other rooms, more money". I asked if we could have one of those rooms and how much more it would be. She typed away on her PC and said there was another room, with a bath, but it would be about 500 euros more, which I said was fine as I wanted the wife to have a happy holiday! She said "you go look at the room, tell me if you want it and I move you". So, I went back to the room and explained this to my wife. We then went with the porter to the new proposed room, no luggage at this point!

Fabulous room, Room 6207! Massive, balcony over the grounds and sea, huge Jacuzzi bath, separate shower, all marble, airy and bright, just perfect. We'll have it we thought. My only reservation - an air fresher behind the massive plasma telly, which had clearly worked recently as we could both smell it's scent, one of these things that were standalone and battery run on a timer. I whipped the batteries out and turned it off as neither of us like air fresheners and thought no more of it.

I then went back to reception to say we would like the room. I paid the 500 euros or so extra and was given a card swipe to access the new room. The porter went off after I asked for 20 minutes or so to pack our stuff again ready to move rooms. I went back to our original room with the wife and we packed. The (previously tipped) porter arrived again and said he would move the 2 cases and hand luggage, which to his credit he managed alone! (I knew that first big tip would come in handy and stand me in good stead!) He asked me to use the swipe key to enter the room again but it now wouldn't work, we waited at the door. He said a few things quietly to himself in Turkish and then said he would go back to reception and sort it out. We waited - he came back after about 15 minutes! He now had a key this time - which still wouldn't open the door no matter how he tried. After about 5 minutes he left the key with me and said he was going back to reception again to sort it out. We waited - then a maintenance man arrived, little Turkish fella with not a word of English. He fiddled with the locks, swipe card and all, no joy. "I go reception" he said. OK, we waited some more! He didn't come back! - after a total of an hour after parting with my extra 500 euros I went back to reception again - please bear in mind it takes 5 minutes to walk there, loads of flights of steps etc, very hot, not best impressed. Same lady at reception. I explained "I'm still waiting at the door of the new room I'm afraid, I can't get in, your man came to try and help half an hour ago and hasn't come back". "Just a minute" she said and then went back to serving some other newly arrived guests (Germans). After about 5 minutes she came back to me and said "what is the problem?". I'm a patient man - but by now I was losing it. I explained we were still outside the room. She said to go back and she would send someone!

I did and a porter arrived again, fiddled with the key and finally got the door open, an hour after initially going to the room. I thanked him profusely and we were just glad to get in again. After he had gone I looked at the door and it was simply the door lock was catching the frame when unlocked and that's why it wasn't working. A bit of a push on the door plate and it worked fine - I'd sorted my own door.

It was now we noticed a peculiar smell - after my wife had flushed the loo but it wasn't her! A sewer smell was coming from somewhere and wasn't good I can tell you, filled the whole room! We now realised what the air freshener was for!

I said I'd go back to reception and get a changed room. The wife said not to, we just wanted to settle in. I knew she was at her wits end after a very very long days travel and didn't want any more fuss. I thought I would go back as I knew she hated smells, even more than the smell of smells from machines to mask other smells! We talked about the stink and said "well, they haven't got any more rooms so we'll have to make do" and of course, we had just paid an extra 500 euros for this room.

We then showed our accompanying family this room and they were blown away by it. I asked if they would like a similar one as we wanted to be together" and they were by now miles away in another part of the complex - we were back in the main body of the hotel in one of the "best bits". They were keen but couldn't afford it so I said I would pay it as I just wanted to settle near each other and have all problems resolved. I went back to reception (again), saw the same pregnant Turkish lady and asked if there were any adjacent rooms for our family. She said "tomorrow, but you must be here at 1 o'clock exactly to get it, and have your things packed to move rooms ready". I asked what the big deal was about 1 o'clock and she explained it was because she would be giving the room our family moved out of to someone else - the place was chaos! We agreed, I paid another 500 euros, job sorted.

The next day our family packed early and we stayed at the hotel to be ready for 1 pm as requested. They moved in next door and all seemed great, sorted!

Food was great, waitresses and waiters fantastic. Masses of Germans and it was clear that was the hotels main market. All notices predominantly Turkish and German, Cinema predominantly German with English subtitles! Had the usual problems - we would be four waiting for the lift, at the front of the queue, lift door would open and German's would push in front into the lift, amazing! Again, in queues for the buffets, German's would just go to the front, they are a nightmare, simply selfish and rude.

One major issue - the small square drains in the outdoor seating areas / terraces all absolutely stank, just like sewers and the guests all knew it. There were vacant tables around these drains at all mealtimes.

Lifts - just one main set of 3, one permanently out of order during our stay. Waited ages for lifts to arrive and when they did they very often had porters with trolleys of food, glasses etc. The hotel staff did not have their own lifts and this caused guests (and them) a lot of stress.

One day we travelled to Antalya after breakfast. We raced back hoping to get back in time for the main lunch buffet - got back about 2.30pm and the restaurant "closed" at 2.45. In reality they started clearing away at that time whilst everybody carried on eating. My wife and the other 2 went and got a buffet whilst I went to the loo. I came in about 2.45 and started looking for something to eat from the big containers. No ladles! - a man was going round that moment collecting the dishing up spoons so nobody could get anything to eat. I said "excuse me, have you got a spoon please?" to a senior looking waiter. "Closed now, no more now" was the reply. I couldn't believe it, everyone else was eating, about 50 - 100 or so in the restaurant, including my family at a table. I saw the head waiter, with my plate in hand and said I needed a spoon to get some food. "Closed", "you go down to.." I couldn't quite make out what he said then but it was clear he meant I should go to one of the other bars where you could get snacks after 2.45pm. At this point a tall (German speaking) Turkish waiter put his arm through mine and started to "escort" me out of the restaurant! I was fuming and said "get your bloody hands off me", sorry, couldn't help it, I was livid. I removed his arm, put down my (empty) plate and went back to the table where my wife and family were eating. That waiter followed me and said "what problem?". I explained as calmly as I could that this was ridiculous, I couldn't get anything to eat, whilst everyone else was sitting eating theirs, including my family. The head waiter came over and insisted I should go across the garden to another bar where "I could get a snack". I told him "don't worry about it", I was absolutely livid I can tell you.

The next day my son-in-law got ill with "Turky trots". Really bad both ends simultaneously, by all accounts, thankfully we three others didn't get it. We hadn't eaten anything out of the hotel and as we had all eaten lots of the same things we don't know where he got it. My wife and I went out in the cars looking at ruins and returned too late for the main buffet lunch - no problem we thought. We invited my wife's daughter to join us and us 3 went to the afternoon snack bar. We all had a chicken kebab type thing with fries. Mine was delicious but "urr, what's that" my step-daughter shouted. Her meal had a very very large (seemingly cooked and charred!) horse-fly in the kebab meat! She didn't eat any more! We didn't bother complaining as we were sat under trees and there was the slimmest of chances it could have dropped down from above. We didn't eat there again. The waiter was extremely (overly we thought) friendly, asked if we had enjoyed our meal etc etc. All a bit suspect as there were only 2 cooking around the kebab pole etc and they seemed to be joking about a lot. Getting a complex by this time!

On the last but one day my wife had had enough of the stench in the room, which was intermittent and which we knew would likely not be there when and if we complained. Every time we smelt it we flung open the French windows to air the place, and left them wide open when we were out. She said she'd had enough and wanted to complain, particularly that our family's room next door, room 6205, was absolutely smell free. Given we were nearly at the time to go home I thought do I really want any more agro but she insisted on complaining, hoping to get some money back.

So, back to reception - same pregnant Turkish lady! My wife explained the room smelt and the receptionist just said" what can I do now, you should have told us this, we cannot do anything now" - very blunt but I could see her point. We explained we hadn't complained given all the problems getting in that room and more importantly because she had gone to great lengths to explain the hotel was full. We got nowhere with it - she is extremely good at her job of getting disgruntled customers "beaten". There's no way she was going to give any ground, it was our fault for not complaining sooner. I said "You must have known the room smells, there's a air freshener machine next to the television and there isn't one of these in the room next door". She said "how can I know this, we are reception". I said "surely you must know if there is a problem with smells in a particular room?", "you allocate the rooms out, you must know this". She said "of course not, this is housekeeping matter, not reception". To cut a long story short no joy - she was 100% determined to win the conversation and wouldn't budge a bit. Shame, she clearly forgets we won't be back and will tell the world about our experiences.

There were a few more things but I've gone on enough!

Great looking hotel but very much caters for the German market - we won't be back. My wife filled in a big questionnaire the hotel left in the room - not had any response!

Somewhere else next time I think!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 6207!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Inglebys2013
CrystalHotelsTR, General Manager at Crystal Sunrise Queen Luxury Resort & SPA, responded to this review, April 14, 2016
Dear Guest,

Leeds, West Yorkshire
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We spent two weeks here in October 2013, Hotel is very clean. Food excellent - always. Bar staff - friendly and soon got to know what we drank and would keep us topped up. Entertainment team also friendly especially the Manager - who unfortunately broken his arm whilst we there. The D.J Blanco is amazing. Now the negative. We had paid for a room upgrade and with hindsight which we had bothered to do. The lock was faulty and initially thought this would be quickly resolved. We made numerous trips (at least 8) to Reception to try resolve only to be met with rudeness and treated like we had 'stupid' written our faces - told to wait in our room for technician who did not appear. We were eventually given a manual key but by this point we were appalled at the lack of help from the female receptionist', We were supposed to be on holiday. Does she not realise we were paying towards her salary. We will not be going back because of this. Even the Thomas Cook rep could not get anywhere with the problem. We have been to Turkey many times and stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels and have always been treated like we were special. The fact that there are two clocks in reception one set for Antalya and one set for Berlin speaks volumes. We had so looked forward to this holiday,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Arandbe
CrystalhotelsTR, CRYSTAL SUNRISE QUEEN CRM at Crystal Sunrise Queen Luxury Resort & SPA, responded to this review, January 21, 2015
Dear Arandbe,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Crystal Sunrise Queen and thank you also for taking a few minutes to leave your review following your visit.

We were sorry to hear that there had been several elements with which you were not completely satisfied and for this I would like to extend our apologies.

We would welcome the opportunity to accommodate you again at Crystal Sunrise Queen when you next time visit Side/Antalya thereby have the chance to restore your good faith.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed for one week at the beginning of October. The start was not very good. No porter to take your luggage from the coach/taxi, you had to drag cases up steps. Reception was very busy,and to start with we had an older receptionist who was very nice, but as there was a build up and we had to wait, No glass of wine to meet and greet,whilst we were waiting. We now come to receptionist No.2. The reception is the eyes of the hotel, and this girl needed re-training. She was very rude, giving us a choice, food or room. For food we had to go from one side of the hotel to the other and eat, all within 15 mins. Impossible.We did not know our room number.either. Which ourselves and other people told her, she just got more awkward. When we reached our room, we were very disappointed, this was not the room we had paid for, so l insisted on being moved. The porter said the hotel was full and leave it until tomorrow. NO. l rang reception, and l must have got the nice receptionist, or l had a don't mess with me tone of voice, within 15 mins we had been moved, to a lovely room,with sea view which we had paid for. The holiday after this just got better by the day. The hotel is lovely, though it does take several days to get your barrings. Food is excellent, the choice is amazing, even the most fussy eater could not complain. Staff are lovely (apart from you know who),attentive and helpful. Pools, especially the adult pool,are in the most lovely settings. The beach is very nice and the sea warm. Both on the beach and by the pools, there are plenty of sun-beds, so no need to rush. The hotel, pools, bars and beach are spotless. Bar staff are aware of each guest, and really look after you.There are large fridges all over the place so you can always get cold water, and there is even an ice-cream machine, where you help yourself. Make sure you take hair shampoo and body lotion as these are not provided. Bed linen,towels and beach towels are changed every day. There is a dress code, and the staff make sure people keep to it, which is nice. Overall a very good hotel, and would we go back,definitely, but for 10 days instead of 7, as it takes 2-3 days to find your way around.

Room Tip: Ask for a highrise, as the sunset is amazing
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank judith j
CrystalSunriseQueen, CRYSTAL SUNRISE QUEEN CRM at Crystal Sunrise Queen Luxury Resort & SPA, responded to this review, January 14, 2015
Dear judth_j

liverpool
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the end of August 2013. The hotel from first impression is beautiful. The bedroom was a good size with a sea view and facing the adult pool, this was in the main block room number 1223 on the second floor.

The hotel is huge and on several levels, it took me a while to get used to the layout. The swimming pools are lovely and there are bars by the pools. Getting a sun lounger was never a problem even on the beach. The staff were friendly but not many of them spoke English, they mainly spoke German.

The food was plentiful with a good variety and it was nice and hot.

The drinks were very nice with a good choice of cocktails, which I tried several, favouring the crystal exotic and the cosmopolitan I only found out 4 days before leaving that there was champagne on the all inclusive, this was very nice too.

The views from the hotel are beautiful.

The entertainment was a bit repetitive when this finished there was a disco.

Outside the hotel a short walk away there are shops and a several of bars.

The walk along the prom into the centre of Side takes about 45 minutes which is not good in 37 degrees heat. You could get the dolmus on the top road that takes you into Antique Side, then walk the rest of the way or get the red bus straight to the centre.

I thoroughly enjoyed this holiday and we are looking to book again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jojad
Dear jojad,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your stay with us.

We are delighted that our quality and standards met with your complete satisfaction and the friendliness received by the team.

We very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards,
Switzerland
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The facility was nice. Many pools, nice beach, restaurants, bars, gym, sports, etc.... however, this is not enough to get 5 stars without the adequate service and especially the level of food! The buffet was quasi every day the same and the service was slow. The waiters were very nice and I would not blame the waiters for the slow service. There were simply not enough employees for such a huge facility... The "a la carte" restaurants are fake. The food is on the same level as at the buffet and mostly "pre-prepared". This was disappointing. Only the "turkish" a la carte restaurant was good. I wouldn't go to the others again.
For breakfast we got either "instant coffee" or filtered coffee. Both are not sufficient for a "luxury" hotel. Good Coffee is the most important thing for breakfast!
The "all inclusive" offerings are very limited. To get soft ice for my 2 kids I had to walk ca. 100m from the beach to the second floor of the hotel. When I arrived there (at ca. 3pm) I got only 1 ice because there was non more left. Despite "all inclusive" there are quasi no offerings between the usual meals (breakfast, lunch,dinner) except for those who like to drink...
The room was clean and big enough for a family. Again - the facility is great and if had paid 2/3 of the price, I may even have accepted the level of food. However, for what I paid, I want to look forward to a nice dinner in the evening - every day!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Oliraeber
CrystalSunriseQueen, CRYSTAL SUNRISE QUEEN CRM at Crystal Sunrise Queen Luxury Resort & SPA, responded to this review, January 16, 2015
Dear Oliraeber,

Thank you very much for your stay at the Crystal Sunrise Queen and your comment on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you generally enjoyed your stay, but do regret that we could not meet your expectations regarding the bar service as well as the food selection in our buffets. We will discuss your feedback with our Executive Chef and will think about possible changes.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon to the Crystal Sunrise Queen.

Best regards
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Huge hotel good location on beach, definitely caters for the German market, which we have no problems with. We were ignored and treated with total indifference by most staff including the managers very little eye contact. We didn't look forward to meal times or going to the bars, we felt very unwelcome and merely tolerated. We noticed most German guests seemed to tip before the meal or service and at the bars. It was as if one had to pay in order to receive a reasonable service rather than a token of your gratitude after receiving good service.
Reception staff were very indifferent towards us, my husband asked for a second key to our room, the receptionist tutted and said " English" when we arrived the new German guests were offered a drink and sweets in the reception area. We were not!! Ironically we stayed at a couple of premier inns (budget hotels) shortly before going on this holiday and the friendly professional service we received was far superior than this 5 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013