“THE BEST HOTEL EVER!!”

Ranked #15 of 229 Hotels in Side
London, United Kingdom
“THE BEST HOTEL EVER!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

WE HAVE BEEN HERE SINCE 11TH AUGUST - FANTASTIC STAFF, WONDERFUL HOTEL, SPOTLESSLY CLEAN!
Ignore all the negative comments. This hotel has a 900 capacity, and I saw NO evidence of any genuinely ill people! There may have been a handful of guests who became ill but the majority who have been mouthing off have just jumped on the bandwagon! Guests HAVE NOT been asked to stay in their rooms and the main pool was shut for 2 short spells - because someone apparently defecated in the pool.... this was apparently someone who was extremely ill - really? Then why are you swimming?? What nonsense!
The people complaining are the same people in the restaurants and snack bars every day and drinking alcohol and enjoying the shows (even participating in some of the shows) every night! Also seen sitting by the pool laughing at their photos in the newspaper reports.
Myself and several other guests believe all this rubbish to be no more than a bid to get compensation and will be contacting Thomas Cook and Daybreak TV to advise them of our side of the holiday story!
These people have put the staff at the Sentido under extreme pressure and at risk of job loss. The staff are wonderful and do not deserve this bad publicity!
Please do not let these people put you off this wonderful hotel! It truly is an amazing place to stay and is the BEST!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Tuffy130
palomatolga, General Manager at SENTIDO Perissia, responded to this review, March 23, 2015
Dear Tuffy130,

Sentido Perissia Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have just returned home from my 2week stay at this hotel.. And I can honestly say I can not find a fault with the hotel.
The reports in the newspapers and on tv are totally disgusting and just prove how wrong the British press are at reporting "facts"

Whilst staying here I spoke to numerous guests who complained to me about having the "bug" but where well enough to neck down the all you can drink alcohol & scoff down the food... One guest who spent a night in hospital was on stage at the evening entertainment!! I over heard a group of guests discussing how much ££ they would be able to get back! Shame on you...

The staff at this hotel are always happy to help and will go out of their way to accommodate you..

The food in the restaurants are extremely fresh and there is so much to chose from if you can't find something you like then there is something wrong with you!

The entertainment throughout the day kept not only the children involved but also good fun for the adults & the evening entertainment was amazing every night.. The animation team were all AMAZING!!

Now for cleaning - you can NOT fault this hotel on how clean it is staff are constantly cleaning 24/7.. People that are moanin are just looking for something to fault..
The pool is thoroughly cleaned every night.

The bad press this hotel has revived it truly Does not deserve.. People have jumped on the band wagon to see how much £££ they can get back and they should feel ashamed!!
I have been on many all inclusive holidays around the world and this by far was the BEST the service was 5** quality

See you next year can't wait to see the re vamp..

Keep up the excellent work to all the staff you are AMAZING!!!! Xx

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank emma0387
Dear Emma0387,

Gillingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed with my wife, 10 yr old daughter and 7 yr old son, from 4th-11th August. Taking aside all the bug issues (3 of the 4 in my party suffered requiring medical treatment upon returning to the UK) this is a hotel which has 5 star amenities crammed on a small site, but very average quality. We have stayed at numerous 5 star accommodations, several in Turkey, and this was the lowest standard we have come across. The rooms are very dated; the furniture has seen much use over some years by its condition. The pool area is extremely crowded, I like a bit of personal space when on holiday, the beds around the pool were up to 4 deep with no gaps between them at all. We used the beach which was fine, plenty of room and a parasol between each pair of sun beds, with no need to get up at silly o'clock to reserve a space. There's no waiter service around the pool area that I saw, we was offered the occasional fruit on the beach and there's a fridge with water to help yourself. The resturants were a plus in fairness (and ironically), the buffet was well stocked, although also crowded around the loosely described "show cooking" areas. We managed to get in the A La Cartes which were fine, nothing spectacular but OK.

Hygiene......!!........ in the poolside toilets there are bins in the cubicles and a sign requesting you "put trash in bin" This wasn't mentioned at our welcome meeting but I suspect trash was used toilet paper. I used the toilets by the Avenue bar early one morning and the bin was full to overflow, I assume from the night before.........disgracefull.

I could go on but in summary, if you're used to 5 star of the likes of Sensatori this hotel will disappoint you, as it did me, but in fairness it's circa 30% less so as the old saying goes, you pays your money and you take your chance. Would I return.................certainly not, lesson learned pay the extra as I have for previous holidays.

3 Thank Darren C
palomatolga, General Manager at SENTIDO Perissia, responded to this review, April 1, 2015
Dear Darren C,

Thank you for sharing your opinion concerning our hotel with the wide World.

All feedback given from our guests is important as this gives us the chance to increase our hotel's quality.

We would be pleased to welcoming you again one day.

hartlepool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

First thing first, the bug was bad and did affect much larger numbers than what either the hotel or Thomas Cook were letting on. Whether either party could have prevented the introduction of the bug is questionable, but probably more could have been done to limit its effects without doubt. having said that, a little common sense or a bit more knowledge by some of the guests could also have helped. People standing shoulder deep in water complaining about illness prompted us to refrain for further using the pools, all to no avail and ten days of illness followed, which included me being quarantined at work for four days.

Now onto the review. This was our third trip to the Perissia. Prior to illness, it was probably the best visit we have had to the hotel and resort. The only negatives (other than the bug) were that we are pool people, not beach people and we therefore had to be up at 06.30 to get four sunded's together. A little annoying but once you are up it is a pleasant time of day in high season, as it is cool.

We stayed in a superior family room (1194) on the opposite wing to where we have normally stayed. This proved fine as we had a ground floor room which the kids loved as they could hop over the terrace to play with friends. Rooms are fine but will be upgraded over the winter months when the hotel closes. (Will be interesting to see if a name change occurs too!)

Food. Buffet restaurant standards and choices seem to have improved. You can't go hungry, we did feel as though some of the choices on a lunchtime at the beach side restaurant were a little repetitive. We used three a la carte's prior to illness, the continental (Italian), Mikado (Chinese) and Turkish were all very good, great music and dancing in the Turkish too!

Entertainment - Some of the shows we had seen previously, found to be wearing a little thin. Some poor and some new ones very good. Needed to be in the ampitheatre early to get a seat but a very good atmosphere.

General - not much changed since we were at the Perissia two years ago. General areas are always clean and tidy, very well maintained. As we know many of the staff from previous visits, it is encouraging that they recognise your face and genuinely seem interested in you as a person. Some wonderful staff throughout the hotel. Take a while to talk to them and you will learn that they work up to 72 hours a week and more. Take this into account if they don't serve you the second you turn up for a drink.

The hotel grounds were spotless as was the beach. Plenty of lifeguards on duty. They did become very quick to close pools once the illnesses became more prevalent, but by that time we had bailed out to the beach.

The walk into Side takes around 45 mins and is best done when the sun has gone down. A taxi costs 8 Euro. Side old town is lovely and reminded us a little of Rhodes Town.

All in all, we have done Turkey for all its worth and probably would look elsewhere in future. Despite the outbreak of illness, I would still recommend the Perissia for families as it is a very relaxed, good quality hotel. We much preferred it to its sister hotel, the Paloma Oceana, as we felt we were treated more as family than as a guest.

There are issues with the hotel, such as slightly dated rooms and the sunbeds, but if these are sorted out in the revamp, the Perissia may just about be able to rebuild its tattered reputation after Summer 2013.

Finally, I think it is testament to the hotel that guests who stayed earlier in the year have come out on trip advisor and put in a good word for the place. When they get it right, it is a great place to holiday. Unfortunately it was a case of the wrong place at the wrong time this year.

We are awaiting responses from thomas cook at the moment. They seem to be taking things seriously with regard to our complaints, so I with hold judgement for now. Needless to say, we were not happy not to be told about the problems quicker.

Room Tip: Its so big its a bit of pot luck!
8 Thank chimpchoker67
palomatolga, General Manager at SENTIDO Perissia, responded to this review, March 27, 2015
Dear Chimpchoker67,

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have just returned from sentido perissia following a 2 week family holiday. We had been waiting a whole year for this holiday and had indulged in a five star luxury resort as a treat as had not had a holiday for almost 3 years.

Upon arrival it was just as we had hoped, stunning reception overlooking the sea, wonderful cold towels and drinks on arrival, just lovely.

Before I continue I would like to touch on the positives,
- accommodation was great and cot and sofa bed was made for us already upon arrival.
-spa is fantastic with some great treatments, i would definitely recommend shirobyanga massage.
-entertainment was brilliant
-animation team were very friendly and great with kids, ours loved them, Solomon especially.
- special attention was made by cleaners who realised our daughter loved the cartons of juice in the fridge in our room, and what started out as 2 cartons everyday, ended up with 6 everyday, nice touch.

Unfortunately we were a family among the 150 others who were hit by the virus/bacterial infection/ contamination (still have no idea what cause was). Out of our party of 18, 16 were ill from day 2 and lasted majority of the holiday (some are still experiencing symptoms since arriving home) 7 out of our group were hospitalised . We were advised by the doctor on site to only eat bread, bananas, peaches and soup, which was a bit rubbish bearing in mind we had paid £3500 for an all inclusive holiday where we were not eating or drinking anything apart from bottled water.

The main issue for us was that the first recorded report of the "bug" was 27th July and Thomas cook let us into the resort on the 10th August knowing full well what was going on. We got no support or clear communication from Thomas cook and with people throwing up, pooing in the pools and public areas, people passing out and at one time, a woman in and out of consciousness in reception, thomascook kept saying there was not a problem.

For those saying they were there and had no idea about the issues we experienced I would say I don't know what planet you were on and a good point to raise is that wesaw guest relations sitting at the desk in the lobby, writing reviews on here, obviously to protect themselves.

As I said before, thomascook were the main contributors to our holiday from hell. Thy should have acted sooner and in better way. I am appalled by the service from them and would never use them again.

The only thing that disappointed me on the hotel side was when things were getting bad we were felt to be blamed. "The English were the only people complaining of the symptoms" which was rubbish as we are aware of other nationalities in hotel that also suffered fom it. Their attitude towards us was appalling, very short with us all and very rude and this was felt my many. People were being filmed eating in the restaurants, nothing was ever their fault. Bowls at breakfast had scum around the sides and when a member of my family brought this to a member of staff's attention, she said " why have u made them dirty" it was terrible.

Service in dinning room was not 5 star, we had to wait 20 minutes before bing offered a drink 80% of the time.... Very frustrating hen u have young kids!

I would love to say I experienced the other restaurants on offer, but we were too unwell to do this.
People can say they have been to this hotel 30 times, I don't care personally. We were unfortunate enough to have this awful experience. I don't know if we will ever find out what the cause was, but stool tests at hospital showed a bacterial infection,mainly transmitted through food or water (although according to hotels tests, stool samples were negative!) I know whose report I trust!

Beautiful setting but holiday from hell for us and we are very angry for being brought In to that environment with such small children too.

Room Tip: If u want a balcony, ask for it assomedont have it.
14 Thank Katie S
Dear Katie S,

Thank you for sharing your opinion concerning our hotel with the wide World.

We would be pleased to welcoming you again one day.

Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have been going to the Sentido for 10 years and we have never a bad holiday ever all the staff are first class and work very hard if ever the was a problem it was taken care of at once we have never been I'll we meet up with six other couples and it has always been first class food was great we always go in November some friends go for 7 weeks even stay for Christmas and new year so this year we won't be there as we was told that hotel will be closed it has been hard work as Thomas cook did not won't to tell us until last minute but with a big fight and lots of phonecalls we all get to stay in the sister hotel in komkoy we will miss th:-) e staff and the great manager tolga .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ann w
palomatolga, General Manager at SENTIDO Perissia, responded to this review, March 17, 2015
Dear Ann W,

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We as a family have been going to the Sentido Perissia for the last 5 years. In some cases 6 years. You do not go back to a hotel, year after year, if you believe that it is poor. the previous 4 years have been excellent.

This year. Out of a party of four, two of us got this bug. I have no idea what caused it. I would be surprised for definite if anyone does 100% know.

We both started problems within 48 hours of arriving. Initially it was stomach cramps, but diarrhoea followed quickly. It got to the point that you had to be shorts down, sat on the toilet within seconds of getting a particular feeling in your tummy. Or you were faced with the embarrassment of soiling yourself. The other person in our party unfortunately having to endure this very thing. He wasn't the only one.

I will state clearly now that we did not see any real issues with cleanliness, though it was obviously stepped up as things escalated.

I could not really fault the hotel staff. Barring a few issues. They continued to act as professionally as before, But they were also concerned about people who were ill. A lot of the staff knew us from previous years, and we had become really friendly with them. They knew we always went out to enjoy ourselves, and could see that we were struggling to eat. And were not drinking alcohol. So they knew we were not putting it on.

It says in some newspapers that people were frightened to eat the food. This, in my view, was nothing to do with the possibility of getting ill from it. But because in our case, we knew what was going to happen if we ate a lot. So were trying to reduce the damage. The moment I ate, the clock was ticking.

We were reduced to rice, bananas, bolled/jacket potatoes and bread. And lots of Sprite.

There are lost of one sided reviews, one way or the other on this. I can completely understand the people who have been once, got the bug and feel that the hotel is poor. I can also understand the people who are being scornful of this, because they go every year and the hotel is excellent. I have experience of both sides.

If there are people jumping on the band wagon, then they should be ashamed of themselves. All I will say is that this will belittle what was a really bad experience to others. all I will say to them is 'What goes around, comes around'.

The people who are being scornful should note the quote 'There but for the grace of God'.

In our case. As mentioned 2 of the party were OK. 2 were not. I personally had stomach cramps from the Tuesday till the Sunday, and I still have diarrhoea after returning home. Though to a lesser degree. The other person in our party. Again had stomach cramps till the Sunday, and diarrhoea till Tuesday. In my case, I had what amounted to 2 days out of the 14 in which I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday. Spending one full day in the room. The majority of it on the toilet. This after taking the prescription for one day.

I normally put around 1/2 stone on, but have actually lost 1/2 stone instead. It is hardly what you go on holiday for.

It is my view that the whole mess was caused by Thomas Cook. If as suggested the bug was already noted in the weeks before we arrived, then they have taken a gamble with the health of people arriving in the following weeks. if this is the case, then they should have protected the people travelling under their care, as well as the good name of the hotel.

Yes it would have been a loss of revenue to the hotel. But the issue would then never have made its way in to the media due to the reduced incidents. They eventually made the decision not to bring people to the hotel around the 14th. / 15th. August. Locking the door after the horse as bolted.

They were also very slow in coming forward with information. My wife found out, only by chance, about the free doctor and prescriptions arranged by the hotel..

And following this I said to the rep that they should put letters under doors, and get people together to take them through what was going on. To my disbelief she informed me that there was 'Nothing to Tell'. So 100+ people unwell, and the fact that the doctor consultation and prescriptions were free, was 'Nothing to Tell'.

We eventually got an un-dated letter hand delivered to our door on the 21st. August. Exactly one day after some of the holiday makers, who were affected, had held their own meeting. In my case, I did not attend. Because I was not in the vicinity when the meeting was arranged.

One other thing that annoyed me about the, more senior, Thomas Cook people who eventually arrived to support the original rep. They did not wear a uniform, and I could not recall any of them having a name badge. I only found out that they were reps because a member of hotel staff told me. Also at one point, I am convinced that one that turned up on a particular day was pregnant. Absolutely mind blowing. I never seen her on the following days, so maybe some one had seen sense.

It is likely that we will not go back next year to the Sentido. But may return in years to follow. It is apparently due for a refit this Winter.

I would like to explain some of my ratings.

Service - Excellent - The hotel staff that we deal with are great. Like part of the family.

Value/ Food - Average - This is based upon this years experience. The food, again, looked great. But unfortunately I could not eat much of what I like. So unfortunately an expensive De-Tox.

2 other things:

We have only once got the room we booked on arrival. 4 out of the 5 years, we have had to wait till the next day.
Toasters - 2 toasters amongst the number of people that stay at the hotel is not enough. They need to have more working ones of the type which rotates the bread between the elements.

I am sure that this hotel we recover from this set back. It is too good. This type of incident can happen to any hotel. It is the way that it was dealt with that made it escalate.

Room Tip: The rooms that we have stayed in are all very good. Though we have struggled most times to get the r...
13 Thank Ian4469