“Great Hotel for kids but forget fine dining.”

Otium Eco Club Side
Ranked #10 of 228 Hotels in Side
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed here the October Half Term week with three of my children with ages ranging from 17 to 8. We had chosen a 2 bedroom villa. The Villas are located at the rear of the hotel complex away from the pools and restaurant. They are not villas but apartments. We had a first floor 2 bedroom apartment which was exactly that, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. The Villa was spotlessly clean and the ladies came every day to clean it, remember to put your "Do Not Disturb" on the door if you dont want them walking in from 8am. Our apartment was quite noisy being attached on all sides to other apartments and also suffering from noise nuisance from the apartment below. Screaming babies in the night was a slight issue for me. The two rooms were equipped with a television each but suffered a lack of English speaking channels, we watched Cartoon Network all week so I am now heartily sick of it. There was BBC World showing the news and CNBC which had American programmes on but these were repeated constantly throughout the week. The television would not have been an issue but the weather was decidedly cold in the evenings and so there was a lack of animation which the children wanted to take part in, so we were forced to spend our evenings in the Villa.

The hotel did not appear to be completely full despite the holiday time and we were definitely not the only British in the place, however the majority are German and Russian which is not a problem except at meal times as they have different views on queuing to us. The pools were cold due to the time of the year but this did not put my children off using them and they especially enjoyed the water slides. There was an indoor pool available which was quite popular if you could not hack the cool outside water temperatures.

A special mention to Driss, a member of the Entertainment Crew. He worked so hard in multi languages to get people to participate in activities throughout the day and evening. The Smiley Team were also commendable and happy to help with any little queries or problems. We paid for a Photo Shoot whilst at the Hotel and were very happy with the results, although be careful it can end up quite pricey.

We used the bus service to go into the town several times. This is extremely easy to use and only costs 1 euro per person each way. The buses come along every 10 minutes so you dont have to wait long. You do have to go outside the hotel complex to catch these, just a 2 minute walk to the "Apothecary" opposite the Hotel Linda.

My only negative was the dining experience. This was the first time I have gone All Inclusive and will probably be my last. Yes, it is great to have the drinks on tap and the children can go and ask for a drink at any time of the day and the bottles of water were extremely welcome but the evening meal times were a nightmare for me. I like my evening meal when on holiday to be something of a special event, usually trying a different restaurant every evening and being served at your table. At the Otium it was more like sitting in the middle of Kings Cross Station whilst eating. First of all you had to wait to find a table, we tried different times of the evening and found it busy whenever we went. The noise level was incredible, my youngest daughter even commented that it was like "school dinners in the school dining hall" and you were constantly bumped and jostled whilst trying to serve yourself food and also whilst sitting at your table. I enquired about booking a table in the A La Carte Restaurant but unfortunately this was closed early for the end of season so we had no alternative but to put up with the "Cattle Market". The food was plentiful, rather bizarre concotions which I assume were for the benefit of the German and Russian clients but I found it all a bit bland. The children lived off pasta all week. The breakfast and lunches were much better I have to say. The beautiful cake creations on the dessert stand looked fantastic but after a couple of days you realise they all taste the same and are extremely sweet. I had one day of illness which I think was probably food or water related and the last day my son also came down with the same thing.

On our last day we were booked on a late night flight. The hotel staff allowed us to stay in our Villa until 3pm but after this time we had to hang around the hotel lobby until 6.30pm when our transfer collected us.

All in all it was a lovely little break away before the Winter arrives but we will not be returning to this hotel. It wasnt that it was a bad experience but I prefer something a little more up-market.

Room Tip: A corner Villa is preferable as you wont have as much noise nuisance. Remember Villas are really ap...
2  Thank Lisette J
Smiley Service S, Guest Relations Manager at Otium Eco Club Side, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2015

Dear Lisetee J,
We would like to thank you a lot for sharing your positive and negative comments with us on this page. First of all, it made us very happy that hearing your nice compliments about our staff, animation team. Your comments will be very helpful to improve our service. As Hotel Management, we always keep doing efforts to be able to give our guests the highest quality of service. In this sense, we are grateful to you for supporting us with your positive comments, suggestions and ideas.
We would like to thank you again for giving us the opportunity to improve our service, which is helpful us and we would like to let you to know that we would be glad to welcome you also this year in our hotel again.

Smiley Service
Yaroslava

There are newer reviews for Otium Eco Club Side

Reviewed October 23, 2013

As for Turkish standards, this hotel is really great. The hotel is big, clean, modern and well managed.

ROOMS are great, nice & clean, all with flat TVs, free safe-vault, well equipped bathroom (soaps, shampoos, cotton sticks, disinfect wipes and etc.), working quietly air conditioning - nothing to complain. I've left my laptop and other electronics, documents, some money on the table, nothing ever got lost (cleaning ladies and other service entering while your not there). Each day new mineral waters, juice for kids and other things appeared in our fridge.

ANIMATION team was great, you really wait each next day for the next show. And this guy - Dris, OMG - I don't know where they get people like this, this guy had energy of 5 people.

FOR KIDS - Very nice and safe big playground, great KIDS CLUB, especially Ms Marta from Poland, Ms Merian from Morocco (I don't know if I got the name right) and Ms Xenia from Russia - great girls, with great ideas for "how to grant you with a half day free from your kids ;) My daughter Tonia misses Ms Marta till today, she says that she wants to go back next year to see her ;)

FOOD - Very big variety of all kinds of food, including all kinds: meet, vegetables and desserts. Although, the choice of fruit could be a little larger, we've spent 2 weeks in this hotel, and it was oranges, apples, perls, grapes and granade each day.

POOLS and other- Great polls, with water slides, there are polls for kids, for little kids, for playing games and aerobics (including roof-closed pool) and pools for adults only. You also can play tennis, shoot bow, throw darts, go to hotel’s mini zoo, take part in aqua aerobic, yoga and etc – lots of fun ways to spend the time

BEACH - From the hotel it's a 10 minutes walk (nice walk by the river side) to the beach, where you have hotel's bar with drinks and food, and with sunbeds, toilets, showers and everything that you could need.

SERVICE - very good, all people including the restaurant, the poll bar and receptions are very nice and professional. There is one guy at the poll bar, he was responsible for cleaning tables and collecting used dishes - a very big thanks to him for being so "no problem" and polite with everything, even when my daughter spilled all her hot chocolate at the table and seats.

THE BAD THINGS... yup, even though we didn't have any bad memories from this place, you should be aware that: 1) the Wi-Fi is sometimes working, sometimes not, one time you get OK working internet and you can visit all pages, and then you cannot download one email for 12 hours... this is very unpredictable. 2) The hotel's shopping centre's internet cafe is a disaster, you pay 7 TL for 30 minutes, for his you get and old computer (and I mean like "kill me please" old computer), running Turkish windows, with some strange applications running and popping. During your 30 minutes work, you have to reserve 15 minutes for "freeze - restart" and "internet unavailable" periods. This is just a disaster. 3) The kids playground’s enhancements – there’s a guy at the playground that rents little cars for kids, operates a carousel and sells some stickers etc. This guy is annoying, he’s always coming in the evening time asking everybody to buy his stuff “- oh papa come on! Buy a sticker. - OK, how much? – 5 euro” :-D (yes, a stupid small sticker with mickey mouse, they give away for free on streets – he’s charging 5 euro) .

And that’s about it. If you don’t mind the “bad things” – you’ll spend great time there. This hotel is really good and you can see that they work hard to keep it that way.

Room Tip: Try to accomodate in the main building, it's the nearest to all attractions.
2  Thank warjacek

Dear Warjacek,
We would like to thank you a lot for sharing your positive and negative comments with us on this page. First of all, it made us very happy that hearing your nice compliments about our staff, animation team, room cleaning. Your comments will be very helpful to improve our service.
We would like to let you know that we would be glad to welcome you also this year in our hotel again.

Smiley Service
Yaroslava

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Just back from a week in Turkey's Otium Eco Club Side. The trip from Gazipasa Airport took about 3 hours, stopping at 5 other hotels. So it's relative far from this airport.

Otium Eco Club is not direct next to a beach but they have their own beach part within apx. 12 minutes walk (shuttle bus available). Between Otium and the beach is a small bazaar area.
So the surrounding is very nice.

Animation for little children is mainly Eastern European and so is the tast of food. Lots of fresh fish, but most of the food was lukewarm and with limited tast (to me).

Pasta with tomato...
Hmmm, tomato's might have been lying next to the pasta, but I have never seen so little vegetables (and no traces of meat) in a pasta.
Chicken wings were very tastefull I am told. Best nights were the kebab night and the chicken skwers. Lots of tast to my likes. None of out group became sick of the food so well done on that part chef's. Lot of staff cleaning the tables.
All in all on the food part is a lot to win for this club and would make me a come back customer.

The water in the pools was very cold (I always wonder how they get it so cold, as the sun is shinning all day). There were sufficient sunbeds along the different pools, so no towel in the morning necessary, but you always have people that want their "private" sunbed.

Indoor pool was about 26 c, which I find a little cold.

We had several rooms and all of the were well equiped and spacious. Beds were a little hard but do-able.
We had a very large room next to the airco unit or some exhaust thing from the kitchen.
Room had apx 42 decibel with closed doors and over 68 decibel on the balcony, which is pretty shrill. Yet the room was spacious so we decided to stay in that room.

Staff is very friendly and as we asked if we could keep 1 of the rooms on the date of departure it was no problem. Without any cost! Where do we find that now a days. Chapeau staff.

Hammam was very nice and allthough we had the feeling the turned off, or down a few degrees, the heating in the Hammam the last few days, it's a great and spacious Hammam with sufficient place.

Room Tip: If you appreciate the space in a room book room 2501, but be willing to accept some noise.
1  Thank Stocktipper
Smiley Service S, Responsable relations clients at Otium Eco Club Side, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2015

Dear Stocktipper,

Thank you for posting your opinion on Tripadvisor.
We are happy that our services met your expectations. We are glad that you liked our kid’s animation and food.
We hope to see you soon in our hotel.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Otium Eco Club in Side is a gem of a hotel, from its excellent food, to great entertainment, a real delight for the family. We stayed for 11 nights in October 2013, a little apprehensive to begin with especially arriving in a rain storm. But our fears were for nothing as when we got to the hotel we were quickly dealt with in reception efficiently and provide with our rooms. The room was pretty standard with a nice king size bed though the mattress was a little hard it did not detract from a great stay. A pretty functional bathroom of toilet, sink and shower (no bath), the room itself had a nice view out over side, we also had WiFi and a TV with mainly German channels though there was a CNN and BBC World news if you wanted it.
The restaurant was large but catered for all tastes and service was pretty good, not having to queue to long to get the different variety's on offer at peak times. The food itself was very nice, tasty and varied, particularly liked the omelettes in the morning.
The rest of the complex was clean, tidy and very safe for the children, with a choice of pools including slides where to relax, though the outside water was very cold at times. We enjoyed them all and the non stop all inclusive food, drink on offer.
The animators did a good job of providing entertainment if you wanted it, the kids club was enjoyed by our grandson every night and the shows were pretty good on the whole.
All in all it was a great stay and a hotel we would more than willingly return to one day

3  Thank Snarlup

Dear Snarlup,

Thank you for posting your opinion on Tripadvisor.
It’s a pleasure to read that you spend nice holidays in our hotel. Thank you for your compliments about the cleanliness and food.
We hope to see you soon in our hotel.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just came back from staying at this resort and im missing it already.
Me and my fiancé went with his parents and our 4 year old son and we all had such a lovely 11 night stay. The entertainment team are brilliant very friendly and are really good with kids. Food is very good especially there Turkish night, we did not experience any long que's for each of the food station but then again that could be because we went in beginning of October but if your going during school holidays then what do you expect Staff in restaurant are very quick in clearing up your tables! I really don't understand the bad reviews that this hotel got because we had such a good time and really can't fault it! what I will say is that if you are going just as a couple and don't like children then go to a adult only resort because my son had such a good time he loved the swimming pool, the slides, the kids club, the mini disco everything. Rooms are very good, cleaned every single day and very well air conditioned! So if your looking for a good family get away then I highly recommend this hotel.

2  Thank lauren m
Smiley Service S, Guest Relations Manager at Otium Eco Club Side, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2015

Dear Lauren M,
We would like to thank you for your kind opinion about our hotel.
We will be very happy to welcome you again.
Your sincerely

Reviewed October 20, 2013

You get much more than what you pay. Don't put your expectations very high. You get very clean rooms and very good food but not many veraities. The hotel is especially good for the families with young children. The staf is very helpful and they really try very hard to make your holiday a good one. The hotel is not near the see but only 8 minutes nice walk.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Smiley Service S, Guest Relations Manager at Otium Eco Club Side, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2015

Dear Gurhan,

We would like to thank you for your comment about our hotel.
We are glad to read about your satisfaction with our service.
Will be happy to see you againin our hotel.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

just returned from a week 9th till 16th oct food excellent. rooms cleaned every day .no need to take towels they are provided for around the pool or if you go to their beach area which has food and bar which is part of a/i package would recommend to anyone thanks to all the friendly staff

Room Tip: ask for one away from pool area if you want quite at night
2  Thank stewbrenda

Dear stewbrenda,

We were really happy to read your positive comment about our hotel. We would like to thank you for your kind opinion about our staff.
Would be very happy to serve you again in our hotel.