“Great new building but not many smiles!”

Merve Sun Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Side
“Great new building but not many smiles!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

This hotel was clean, new and fresh. Always new and clean towels. BUT the reception staff were not service-minded at all. In addition, not many spoke English. We preferred the beach bar!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maddie91

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Merve Sun last year as after being to other Turkish resorts, fancied seeing some of the architecture in Side.

I agree with the people who have been recently that the area is not the best for British holiday makers. Side itself is lovely with a very nice beach and some good restaurants! but we had to catch the dolmus there as the walk along the promenade was quite unpleasant only one cafe in two miles for a drink - otherwise just lined with 5* German/Russian hotels - be prepared to hear the cha cha slide in German in every hotel you walk past of you do this!

The Merve Sun itself is very basic but I actually really liked it! On arrival it was full so the lovely man on reception let us choose our own room and carried both our heavy cases up 3 flights of stairs in one go! we also had various utensils/pans missing from the kitchen and when reported im convinced he went out and bought us new ones!

there are two pools at the Merve sun the top one is very cold but the bottom one is lovely and we often had it too ourselves!

the staff who speak English were great in the restaurant and very attentive to us! not sure if the same staff will be here this season but they made sure we always got a table and would come and have a chat or a drink with us!

it is worth getting the dolmus into manavgat the large town for the markets. the manavgat waterfalls were also lovely and deserve a visit!

we didn't book with Thomas cook - we used co-op travel and paid little over £300 for 11 nights so to be honest for that price I think we got above and beyond what I expected! I wouldn't book this with Thomas cook as I imagine you will pay more and the rep appeared quite unhelpful and surely! we booked a trip with her and she was pleasant when paying her the money but after that she looked straight through us and never asked us how it went!

the maids were great and made different towel and petal arrangements on the bed! the food in the restaurant was lovely and the fillet steaks a bargain!

I don't think I would return to Side, but im glad i have been! if you want to visit Side and you want a cheap friendly base I think the Merve Sun isn't a bad choice!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank spannnerrr
cornwall
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

Have spent many happy times in Turkey at different locations my advice is if you are English do not consider staying in the Kumkoy area, which is were this hotel is, as it caters mainly for Germans. The Hotel is horrible the staff are not helpful especially some on the desk and the Thomas Cook rep is even less helpful especially if you ask to change room. The room, self catering apartment (self catering NOT apartment NOT) broom cupboard more like and don't even think of asking to change room because from then on you are treat like a lepper. We where given a room on the front with lots of traffic noise and bar noise, unable to sleep for the the nights we used our room. Like I said asked to change but do not even go there. We took a 3 day trip to get away and get some peace and quiet. Added expense not budgeted for though. Spent a lot of time in Side which is a wonderful place. Found Elvis Bar which serves big mugs of coffee and has a wonderful warm reception. I must state if this had been my first time in Turkey I would not be going back. Very dissapointing area and not the warm Turkish welcome which we have received in other areas of the country over 10 years of visiting. The only thing that made this long awaited relaxing 7 day visit worthwhile was the unexpected trip to Cappidocia added expense but well worth it. Merve Sun and Thomas Cook are a waste of time and money. I do not expect 5 star that is why I go selfcatering but how can this place be given 3 stars. Clean yes but that is all it has going for it. On the day of leaving we met a chap registered disabled, they put him on the top floor, he complained and got move to second floor, still waiting for ground floor. I know that I have gone on a lot but believe me if you you are British do not go to the Side area, there are far more warm welcomes waiting elsewhere in Turkey. If you do decide to try Side area do not stay at the Merve Sun. What I will finish with is do your research before going to this area and especially regarding the Merve Sun.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the Back
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank krkmerlin
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Just arrived back from my second trip to Side, Turkey in the last 3 months. The apartment I stayed in last time was not available, so using easyJet holidays I booked the Merve Sun which was a good price.

I was shocked and worried when we arrived at 11pm, there was a noisy, flashing light, smoke filled disco in full swing right at the front with noisy seemingly drunken people yelling at the tops of their voices - not a good impression when you are just arriving and totally not my thing at all. We were shown to the reception area where the staff were helpful, pointing out that for an additional 90 lira we could have air conditioning and the use of a safe in our room. The apartment complex is also right on a busy main road into Side which is busy from the early morning til late in the evening.

We were shown to the apartment, which was up a single flight of stairs. The door opened directly into the kitchenette which contained a small fridge, portable tv, hot plate & kettle and one armchair. There was a short corridor off which was the small but well appointed shower room/toilet and then the bedroom containing a double bed and a wardrobe. This room was small with about 15 inches clearance around the bed and a door which opened onto a tiny balcony - which overlooked a large open area where more loud music was being played!

My first thought was to go down to reception and ask for another room, however we were tired and simply wanted to sleep, so I planned to see how the night went and if there was a problem I would seek another room in the morning. I must say though that at about midnight the noise dipped a bit and we were able to get off to sleep easily and we decided at that point that there was no need to ask for another room. We had fresh towels and sheets on alternate days and the maid was friendly and polite.

The apartment complex appears to have numerous blocks of rooms/apartments varying in size and two swimming pools. There is also a Turkish Bath on site.

Overall, the Merve Sun was not what I would have chosen had I have known more about it before I booked, however I must say I think it gives pretty good value for money and considering we spent no time there other than to sleep or get showered and ready for the evening. There was plenty of hot water in the shower (difficult to get a balance between scalding hot and freezing cold), the apartment was clean and function despite being very basic and a bit drab.

For those on a budget, provided you're happy to go in and out of Side by Dolmus (bus station opposite the apartment) which only costs 2 lira per person or walk the 4km walk into Side it is OK.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the complex are quieter. You need the air conditioning which costs 10 lira per...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jules1962
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Now you might be thinking from the title i am about to go off on a long rant moan about the apartment mervesun far from it.

The room was basic but it was cleaned every day, in a quit location overlooking the back garden on the ground floor just what we asked for.
I can’t praise the cleaning staff enough hard working and ever so friendly even spent time to decorate the bed with flowers and made swans with the towels, nice touch.

The pool area was clean and tidy with plenty of sun loungers available all day
So why was i disappointed, it’s been a while since i was last in turkey about 10 years ago and i remember when the turkish lira was the only currency used, but now the euro is king, everything is in Euro’s.
Which is strange considering turkey is not a member of the European Economic Community.
I was hoping to get away from the euro zone by travailing to turkey so was disappointed to find everything priced in Euro’s gone have the days of getting a bargain that leather bag/coat now cost much the same as uk prices, in fact food and beer can cost more than in the uk.
You go to turkey to shop and grab a bargain sadly those days have now gone.....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank mirageuk
Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

We booked this hotel last minute and as it was our first visit to Turkey not really sure what to expect, but received a positive welcome at 2.30am , had our bags carried to the room and really don't have any complaints at all. We were aware we had to pay extra for the air conditioning does make a real difference so would recommend it. The maids made a beautiful decoration of flowers on our bed one day which was really nice to return to. We didn't intend to cook as ate out everynight but if you do you may find the cooking arrangements quite basic, was really grateful for the fridge to keep the drinks cold though. The staff were helpful at all times. Used the turkish bath at the hotel, would recommend it. Enjoyed the steak in the restaurant excellent, if a little more expensive than other restaurants but worth the extra cost. Pool area cleaned every day, did not find the pool cold as others have said, found it refreshing from the heat and it was just cooler than the sea. Hotel was kept clean and a few toys for young children to play on along with table tennis and air hockey.
Perfect location for catching the dolmus buses immediately outside the hotel into Side but also . enjoyed the 4km beach walk into Side. Enjoyed the beach which has free deckchairs for the hotel.
Would definately recommend this value for money hotel and would go back, notice it has been upgraded to 3 stars for next year, can see why!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Sandra H
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

Just got home from merve sun,few let downs at first but soon resolved. Firstly was given top floor 1 bedroom with a broken cot with 3 sides, not ideal with a 9 month old son,he ended up in my bed in my arms all night cos he would have obviously fallen out if cot,also I had paid for a 2 bedroom and the stairs were not ideal to carry a baby & buggy.the 2nd day I requested new cot and wAs straight away given a new 2 bed room with a new 4 sided cot arriving later on. After this the stAy was fine, we were in room 501 at the back it was nice and quiet and spacious.pools were small but ok if u just wanted to chill. You hAve to pay for aircon which I only found out on arrival 10lira per day.and it only stays on whilst u in the room not when u go out like others I been to. Take a few kitchen bits ie tin opener,towel,cups etc as not any in our room. And if u see the kittens,my daughter would be really over the moon if u gave them some milk.They won't hassle u I'd come over your balcony they were very well behaved,just hungry. She spent her last pennies on them & gave them our left over cereal,which they loved, as she felt sorry for them let me know if u do and it will make her day. Have fun & enjoy your stay.

• Stayed August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Side
Narcia Resort Hotel
Maya World Hotel
Maya World Hotel
#23 of 229 in Side
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,095 reviews

Been to Merve Sun Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!