“I went with my teenager and 11 year old but without my husband and had a really good holiday where everybody was happ.”
Review of Royal Dragon Hotel

Royal Dragon Hotel
Ranked #20 of 229 Hotels in Side
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Just had a two week holiday in the Royal Dragon Hotel, Side. My husband didn't want to come so I braved it with my 15 and 11 year old. We were very pleased with the plush feel of the hotel - so much space in the foyer and surrounding bar areas... The water slides were used every day as was the beach, beach bar disco, indoor disco and the theatre. The sea was a perfect temperature and there were always plenty of free sunbeds with awnings above to lie in the shade.
Both of my children found friends, so were kept busy and happy - we went to the theatre together every evening and thought that the animation team put on a good show consistently. In the evening we went on to the beach bar disco, and the lovely belly dancing Ucha kept me company - it's not what it sounds like - but we did become friends so thank you Ucha for being so much fun. My teenager then went on to the midnight to 3am disco with her new possy - a mixed bunchof teenagers from several different countries - and I felt safe in the knowlege that she was in the hotel and having fun.
The hotel was always being cleaned and the food was really good but my younger daughter got a tummy bug for two days and was sick and I had a funny tum for a few days so we left off the salads.
We did an organised trip with First Choice to the nearby amphitheatre and Roman baths and had an amazing guide who was very knowledgeable. We also went white water rafting for a day which was really good fun. We ventured into Side once but wanted to spend the rest of the time at the hotel as it was so nice.
All in all, a very successful holiday - thankyou to the animation team (esp. Ucha!) and I think I'll have a fight on my hands if I want to go anywhere else next year.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

Lovely hotel, excellent selection of food at all mealtimes, tables and floor in dining room always cleared/wiped up whenever mess spotted, staff LOVE young children , always fussing over them which kids foudn amusing, very clean communal areas, very spaciou s- could alway sfind a bar withno-one in it at night. We didn't use kids club as all ther kids in it were German or spoke German although the ladies did speak English we felt it wouldn't be as enjoyable for our 2 boys if they couldn't communicate with new friends!
Mini disco for kids great fun an dthey loved the funfair too. Beach not much to write hoem about but does have watersports fo rthose interested. Nice trip to Side village one day nice littel shops , a few very nice restaurants , nobodywas pushy in the shops and were all really keen to chat an dfind out where we were from.
Lastly , we were worreid about all sleeping in the sam eroom but needn't have been as large double bed, separate single for our 5 yr old an dbrand new qulaity travel cot which our 2 1/2 yr old loved(despite having never slept in a travel cot previously , anywhere!)
All in all a nice place for an easy pool-based kind of holiday.

1  Thank gill85
Reviewed August 10, 2010

this was simply the best holiday we had ever had. we had years of staying in appartments and self catering and we always walked by the big posh hotels always saying "oh one day maybe"!! we payed 3,700 for the 4 of us and thought it expensive at the time but boy it was worth every penny. as we arrived everyone on the bus was saying "wow look at that"....we felt great getting off at our stop. as we walked in and looked around wow!!!!!!! within minutes we were taken to our room. the rooms are so luxourious. only bad thing is the air conditioning was not great, but thats the only downside. the grounds and pools are gorgeous. waterpark and funfair all inclusive and no waiting which we couldnt believe. food out of this world. so much choice. something for everyone. kids loved this holiday and so did my mum and partner who joined us the second week. staff so friendly and helpful and entertainment staff such a giggle. especially oucha!!! you gotta find him if you visit. he made our holiday. so sad to come home.........will definatly return to this one.....!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2010

This is our second trip to an all inclusive hotel in Turkey. The hotel is situated not far from Side, about one hour's transfer from Antalya.

Rooms
These are spacious and capable of sleeping 3 adults plus one child (on a settee bed). The rooms are up to a UK 3 star standard, plus complimentary drinks in the fridge. The airconditioning works well and is required from the searing heat of the day.

Restaurants
The buffet offers a vast range of dishes, to suit all, however not for the english breakfast follower. Themed nights followed with Turkish, Asian (Chinese and Japanese) and even TexMex.

The ala carte restaurants are of mixed quality, as where the service is good the quality of the food varied and was not to a standard you'd expect

Various other outlets are available during the day, kebabs, pizza and the beach bar (best by far) in addition to the buffet.

Bars are available all day, inside and outside at selected times, however alcohol is freely available to 12 midnight.

Staff
The entertaiment team work extremely hard and integrate with you on a daily basis and offer shows in the evening which are not bad. The bar and restaurant staff vary between not bothered and disappear through to exceptionally helpful.

The gardeners and cleaners are abundant and keep the resort spotless and tidy.

The are which is lacking is front of house who were sometimes vary scripted in their responses and didn't appear helpful.

Facilities
The water park is a must if you have kids in addition to the multitude of pools available. Beds and shades are available but best resevered around 7.30am as you won't get one after 9am as presripted by the hotel rules!

The fun fair has enough to keep your kids entertained for a number of nights of the stay.

In summary
The hotel is very good and only suffers from minor issues which could be corrected easily. I would definately refer this to freinds and family, those with children. I would not recommend this to older couples looking for a quiet break.

2  Thank RichardEssexUK
Reviewed August 2, 2010

The Royal Dragon Resort is a fabulous hotel. My Husband, 7 year old son and myself stayed there during half term at end of May 2010 and we had a brilliant holiday. I can't find anything negative to say about it! The staff are all brilliant, from the moment we arrived to check in to the moment we left. Drinks are brought to you at check in, a bell boy takes you to your room and shows you how everthing works. The food is great, the buffet is different every night and we didn't see the need to use the ala carte restuartants. Food is available somewhere all day and its great quality and slightly different in each bar or area. The red wine is the restaurant is very nice. The pool and water park areas are all first class. The water slides are open from 10 - 12noon and then 2 - 5pm, with lifeguards on them at all times. The whole family really enjoyed them, even me - had to try it when my 7 year old was yelling at me from the bottom how great it was and 'come on Mum'! The entire resort is always incredibliy clean, and the water quality in the pools was great. The hotel was full when we were there but it didn't feel crowded and we were always able to get a sun lounger. Our room was lovely with a side sea view and a double and single bed, the maids did a great job even though we didn't ever see her as we were out of the room all day from 9am till about 5.30. Dont' take pool towels as these are provided and you can get a clean one every day. There is even a little hanging rail on the balcony to dry your swim wear on. The shop is well stocked in the hotel if you need it, we only ever bought a newspaper. There really is very little to spend your money on. My son loved the mini disco at night and we all enjoyed the evening shows. There is even a funfair from 7pm to 10pm at night with dodgems, pirate ship, big wheel, small roller coaster for kids, swinging chairs ride and trampolines. We have already booked to stay again for two weeks in July 2011 - can't wait!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank mariannedonald
Reviewed July 25, 2010

The review just before this one covers all which needs to be said, so just wanted to add what a fantastic hotel the Royal Dragon is. We stayed in early July for 2 weeks, with 2 kids age 11 and 7 and the we really could not have asked for anything more from the hotel or the service we received from the staff. I was really concerned about the temp in July as I heard before I left that the temp can get as high as 45 but it averaged about 30 on most days with a lovely breeze from the beach. There were very few English speaking guests while we were there and we did find some of the guests rude and impatient eg when getting in and out of the lifts, and in the main restaurant for evening meal, but maybe we should be used to that by now! My kids loved the water park and little fair at night time and it was a real battle to get them to leave the hotel at all. a word of waring we had one of our towels stolen from the water park when we left to get lunch one afternoon, which meant we had to pay 10 euro when we were checking out on our last day, the towels were ok but some were very fine and washed out but it did save us having to bring our own and perhaps having to pay excess luggage. There are a few shops a 5 min walk from the hotel, but the dolmus stops just down the road and will take you into Side, which is a lovely wee town and the market in Manavgat is well worth a visit, but take a taxi for 15 euro or dolmus for 1.50 euro per person as the trip organised by the rep is expensive. You must haggle in Turkey when shopping, the shop keepers expect this and therefore there are no prices on anything and the price they tell you is sometimes double what it is really worth. We found haggling a bit stange at first but by the end of our hol we were real pros! I must say I didnt like the way the people in the shops call at you when you are just walking past and made me feel a bit uncomfortable when I went for a walk one afternoon without my husband, which did put me off Turkey a wee bit but thats just me. The hotel was fantastic and this was our first time going All inclusive and certainly wont be the last!

3  Thank delaney_geraldine
Reviewed July 20, 2010

OK - we have just returned from 2 weeks at the Royal Dragon after staying at the Royal Wings last year and again we were not disappointed, the hotel is superb and we really would struggle to complain about anything.

I will try and give a review on each of the parts of the hotel we used the most and hopefully give you some tips along the way, so here goes;

Check in - quick and easy - no need to leave a deposit for towel cards but you will need to pay 10 euro if you lose either a card or a towel during your stay

Room - We stayed in a standard room on the 4th floor for a family of 3 (child age 10). Room had 1 double & 1 single bed, chair at writing desk, sofa type chair, 2 bedside units and mini fridge (stocked daily with 2 x beer, fanta, pepsi and 7up, 3 still water and 3 fizzy water). Bathroom was a good size and included a hairdryer (this did over heat a few times when my wife was using it but if you left it off for a few minutes, it would then work fine again). Balcony had a table and 2 chairs and also 3 handy metal arms for hanging your beach wear out to dry. We looked out to the right of the building if you were looking towards the beach, the view was ok and the sun was on this side of the building in the afternoon/evening up until about 19:30 (proper sun trap). Aircon was great if you keep it on cold and about 20!!!!!

Royal buffet (breakfast/lunch/dinner) - We ate in here most mornings for breakfast, the breakfast buffet always seemed pretty similar every morning which we didn't mind at all as there was plenty of fresh breads, cheese, cold meat and fruit and then there was the pancakes, omelettes, fried eggs, french toast, you can make your own toasties or normal toast. We never ate in here for lunch although we heard it was similar to dinnertime. Dinner in here was great as there was always something different to try, lots of meat being cooked fresh in front of you, pastas, stir fry’s, a diet corner and kids buffet. This place did get busy as you can imagine but we always found a table in the 2nd room no problem. Breakfast is between 07:00 - 10:00 but they turned the aircon off and opened the doors at 09:45 so it did get really stuffy at this time.

Al a Carts - There are 4 (Italian, Oriental, Turkish, Seafood) we ate in the Italian twice, Oriental twice and Turkish once during our stay. You can eat in all of these once each week and you need to be down at guest relations desk next to reception about 09:20 as a queue starts to appear about this time, you book one day in advance. All the Al a Carts were beautiful but the are really small so they get booked out very quickly - try not to each too much during the day when going to these in the evening as you will be stuffed when you come out. The 3 we ate in are all located inside on the -1 floor and the seafood is based out next to the main pool.

Notte Bistro (late breakfast/midnight snacks) - this place served late breakfast between 10:00 - 11:00 and I was surprised that they still done fresh made to order omelettes and fried eggs in here. Although there was not as much choice as the main breakfast buffet, we ate in here a few times as it was a little change from the main buffet. It gets busy between 10:15 and 10:30 and there was times when there were no tables available during this time. We went here once after midnight and you could order hamburgers, chicken burgers, cheeseburgers, chips etc and there was soup, fresh meats, cheese and bread available.

Vento Beach Bar (lunch Noon - 15:00 and Bar 21:00 - midnight) - We ate here for lunch on a few occasions as it was waiter service and the food was very good. Same menu every day with pastas, burgers, chips, kebabs and grilled chicken with rice etc and salad buffet. At night there is a live band on or a DJ and there is a nice little breeze as it's based right on the beach so we went here on a few occasions after the show or instead of the show. They have a white party every Wednesday and Pirate party every Monday in here although they are not all they are cracked up to be.

Amphi Bar - lots of snacks here each day with Turkish pizza, fruit, ice cream, baked potatoes, kebabs and cakes all being served at different times each day (but always the same time for each one so after a few days you will know what is open and when).

Aqua Park - we spent most of the days round here as our little girl loves the slides and never got bored of them. During our first week I was able to get 3 beds together at about 09:30 no problem but it was getting earlier and earlier during the second week, on our last day I went down at 07:50 and nearly all the beds were reserved so be prepared to get up early if you want beds round here. We used to sit to the side of the big 2 slides as it was good to watch people getting soaked as some people could make really big splashes as they came off the slides - beware that the beds the look right at the slides will get wet during the day at some point. There is a bar and snack bar here with burgers, hotdogs and chips being served from 12:30 - 14:30 I think. The slides are on from 10:00 - noon and 14:00 - 17:00, which was more than enough for our little girl. They also have a pool here where they have water polo, water gym and a daily pool game at noon when the slides close.

Main Pool - Very big and plenty of beds - you could easily get beds here up until about 09:00 with no problems.

Beach - Beautiful blue flag beach - water was lovely to swim in and you can walk out a good way with the water not being very deep. The waves did get quite big sometimes which was great fun for playing in.

Evening Entertainment - They try very hard and are all good dancers however, we found that after staying at the Royal Wings last year we had seen them all, which was a little disappointing. 4 of the entertainment team were at the Royal Wings last year so it was good to see them again. Most of the shows are dance shows.

Check out - was simple - we were not getting picked up until 22:45 and we asked for a late checkout - we were offered to keep our room till 16:00 for 30 euro but I declined as there is no difference between checking out at noon or 16:00 if you are not getting picked up until 22:45. We did however meet a lovely family during our stay who allowed us to use their room for a shower before we left (thank you Kelly, Paul and Mandy).

Overall, this is a great hotel and we would return in a minute.

14  Thank zoso1978