“Fun Family Holiday”
Review of Royal Dragon Hotel

Royal Dragon Hotel
Ranked #20 of 229 Hotels in Side
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have visited Turkey several times before but have always stayed with family. This time we decided to stay at a hotel and our family in Turkey joined us. This way it was more of a holiday and there were many more activities for us and the children.
This was an excellent choice of hotel for us as the hotel itself, all the facilities and restaurants were all to a very good standard. It was also great being an all inclusive as, apart from money for the games machines and gift shops, we weren't constantly being asked for money for this and that by the children.
The freshly cooked buffet style food was very good and we were all amazed to see a large shark in the restaurant on fish night! The steaks were lovely. Food and drink were plentiful throughout the day.
We had a Hammam and massages. We were of course recommended to have additional massages for our 'problems!' We took this up as we enjoy massages and they're a lot cheaper than at home.
Their were a few minor issues such as the air conditioning being turned off (our bed was on the mezzanine so it was rather hot and stuffy), we arrived late so the restaurant was closed but the snack bar not open yet so the only thing available to eat was not so great sandwiches and the security guard was extremely rude when our family came to collect some items from us the day before they were due to check in and ordered them off the premises at the front of the hotel. Also, some of the children's toys 'disappeared' from around the pool.
We paid about £50 for a late checkout at 7pm as we weren't leaving the hotel until 11pm.
The hotel was full but apart from the buffet at prime time at dinner it never felt busy. We also ate at the Asian and Italian A La Cartes which were good but they were 6 course meals!
The flumes and fair were good fun and free. The magic show was excellent. The ten pin bowling was also fun but had to be paid for.
Overall the holiday was great and the quality and service as expected for a large 5 star family hotel in Turkey. The barman was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and attentive :-)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CaleyS
Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in July for ten nights with my cousin and her kids, the hotel is spotless and the staff are extremely friendly! There's a huge pool with a lot of sunbeds but as it was the beginning of the school holidays, I was up around 7am to get beds and each day got busier, beds arnt meant to be reserved until 9am but there were no problems putting them down when I did! Right on top of a gorgeous beach with watersports! Entertainment worked very hard although shows weren't the best but the beach bar has a live singer too! Food on tap 24/7! Food and drink(alcoholic drinks too) were great! So many restaurants, shops, games room with bowling and a spa ontop of a water park and small fair! Not much health &safety at water park and rude holidaymakers hanging on to rubber rings and using them as there own so others don't get a chance! That's my only complaint! I highly recommend this hotel, up to now it's by far the nicest I have stayed in!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Fearns06
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We spent marvelous 14 days in September in this hotel. Among five hotels we chose according to the comments on this sight, this one was the only available. We were very pleased with the tasty food, the spacial room, the barmen were nice, some rare exceptions with other staff. Very comfortable, but agree that not quite 5 star ultra.

Room Tip: First floor, near the lift, over the reception, no view, but very good sleep quality. Anyway only sl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ksena7
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I went as a single dad with two girls aged 12 and 9 for a week in August 2012. Girls loved the watersides and fanfare. We went all inclusive and have never seen so much food available. Watch out for the pirate ship it's not for the faint hearted ( doubt safety standards are the same in Turkey ) . Only gripe was that resort is very German with smattering of Dutch and Austrians. Not many English families and even shops greet you in German . All prices in shops are in Euros and no need to change any cash into Turkish Lira as they prefer euros and will take sterling. Overall a great hotel and resort and in fact one of the only places I would consider a second visit to.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ian R
Reviewed October 29, 2013

On the upside:

* Very good food. Lot of variety and plenty of it.
* Very friendly staff. Even though it was the end of the season (thirth week of October) they were still smiling.
* Plenty of room at the beach and at the poolside (not sure what it will be like in summer, but for now it was great)
* Our room (6138) was large, had two bathrooms, a minibar and was clean.
* The Spa was great, although everybody was offered a special deal because everybody had a special problem ;)
* The aquapark for the kids is a lot of fun (even though the water was freezing)

On the downside:

* The must have had a special deal on the paint. Most of the hotel was painted in the same boring brownish color.
* There was not enough light in the corridors. Spooky and also dangerous with marble stairs and floors in the same color.
* One round, decarative window in our room did not have a curtain. Being on the side with morning sun, we woke up early.
* The airconditioning was loud and did not realy cool the room
* The bed was too hard for my taste

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Milo1967
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Having just returned from a weeks holiday hear, overall I was pleased with the hotel. The rooms were very clean and comfy, the food was excellent!! And most of the staff was nice, with a few exceptions.
This was my first trip to Turkey and I would definitely rebook this hotel. The Water Park and fun fair for the kids was excellent, not to mention the beach front location.
If I had a complaint to make it would be the way in which the entertainment team and staff cater for the German visitors. Each night the majority of the entertainment was spoken in German, with the odd piece of English thrown in. I could not put my son in the kids club as again it was geared up for the German kids. I was getting a little frustrated when I approached the bar as they automatically assume you are German and address you. I spoke to someone about my issue and I was told the week we were at the hotel it was occupied by 75% German residents. I was advised to come back in September where a lot more English guests arrive.
At night the entertainment was not very good, that aside most of the entertainment team were excellent.
If you do not mind rude German people this hotel is the one to book.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Stewart W
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My girlfriend, my 2 kids and I stayed in the Royal Dragon after having stayed at a couple of similar resorts in Turkey in the past (Likia World and Aquafantasy) and we all agreed this was a great hotel with a decent water park and lots of things to keep us entertained but not quite 5 star. On the plus side the food was very good for the buffet style restaurant, the drinks were of an above average standard, our duplex room was very nice, very comfortable and very quiet, the fair ground is a nice touch and the hotel is overall well run and organised. Also the beach area is well looked after and it is huge so no problems with sun loungers there! Sun loungers around the pool are not so easy to come by though unless you are prepared to get up very early which although not uncommon at hotels is still annoying. The hotel could also do with a few more activities I felt such as mini golf an/or tennis and in certain areas could do with a little tiding up. Some of the evening entertainment is a little naff as well, but I appreciate this is very subjective. The magic show was surprisingly really very good so make sure you see that. I probably wouldn't go back to the RD but that is not because there are so many similar hotels. This is still a well above average one.

Room Tip: Duplex rooms are the best for families as you feel like you have the extra room and don't have t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family